i n f l u e n c e

By oatmeal_and_granola

Shigaraki paced back and forth in the small bar, eyes wild," This has to be a lie!" He repeated under his bre... More

p r o l o g u e
o n e | beginning
Update
t w o | police
t h r e e | footage
f o u r | fifteen minutes
f i v e | wants and needs
s i x | m a r k
π™Ύπšπšπš’πšŒπš’πšŠπš• πš‚πšžπš–πš–πšŠπš›πš’: INFLUENCE
e i g h t | checkout
n i n e | gym priveleges
t e n | water

s e v e n | mochi

1.3K 62 40
By oatmeal_and_granola

A/N

Happy Birthday, Ochako! It's just a COINCIDENCE she's in this chapter. I didn't anticipate I'd publish this on her birthday lol.

BTW, all polls for my books are in my 'Announcementzzz' book so I suggest you put it in ure library if u want :3

Disclaimer: ME NO OWN MHA/BNHA. ART NOT MINE.

Enjoy :)

Chapter 7: Mochi

Time sure flies when you're having fun, but it flies more when you're not paying attention to it.

In this case, Izuku was paying attention to the time in order to not fall behind on his last minute schedule.

His plan was to not overwork himself and then go relax, maybe grab a bite to eat or purchase a new book. He needed something to do in his spare time since school was out of his agenda for a while.

Hence, at 10:02am he was walking to the bookstore with a bored neutral expression.

He took a quick detour back to his house for a shower, but this store is fairly close so it didn't take very long to walk. He'd have to get used to walking, his mom's car is not a transportation option anymore, anyway.

He was still in his black muscle man style shirt and cargo shorts, a jacket tied around his waist.

The delightful hum of chit chat escaped through the 'Pearl Forest bookstore and café' glass door. He saunters into the store, admiring the nature theme.

He's never been there before, but the greenette has heard plenty of praise for this shop. Praise for its food, book quality and much more. So, it seemed to him to be the ideal place to relax.

Of course, he didn't anticipate meeting someone new.

~~~~~

He needs a book that isn't depressing or at least not as depressing as his current situation.

As he walks in, the bells on the door jingle in acknowledgment. The clerk's desk is also where you purchase the book and sits to his right when he enters.

The café is a separate part and is at the very back of the surprisingly large building, this is clearly shown by the small round tables and matching in style chairs.

Books are everywhere, expertly categorized by the genre and then further organized by style, year and even author.

This establishment is absolutely perfect for young Izuku's analytical mind. He felt refreshed by something like this, like he's clearing the thick fog inside his head, to see clearly again.

He may still be a quirkless kid with no power, but he could still enjoy his life. That was clear now.

He quickly greets the smiling white-haired clerk with black eyes and a gentle smile: His hair didn't seem to be from age, more like he was born with it. Glasses were perched up on his wavy-haired head and he wore the standard employee uniform.

A few people looked at the only green haired guy in the shop as he entered.

Izuku made small talk with the male cashier to learn more about the store as someone only like him would ask.

The history.

What he didn't know was that some people were staring at him since he entered. It makes sense when you think about it, though. He looks like a 'jock' from a typical high school in a bookstore so probably not his ideal scene.

The people more interested in books and reading would go here. Especially since most teenagers were in the school program when he didn't have to.

Around the whole store there were a few people scattered around: A middle aged woman with two middle schoolers examining a history book, a gaggle of giggling teenage girls, two teenage boys, an old man winning chess against his granddaughter, three male adults sitting around a coffee table and a pretty brown haired girl deciding between two books who was too busy being indecisive that she didn't hear the gentle jingle of door bells.

They all noticed different things about the unfamiliar boy that entered.

The middle-aged woman was wondering if he was trouble because he looked like some sort of rebel.

Her two kids wondered if his green hair was natural.

The five girls his age blushed and giggled at how his strong back muscles flexed as he walked and other things about his attractive appearance.

The two boys also his age, were wondering why he was there because he looked a little too 'cool' to be there. The fiery red haired one of the two just smiled like he knew him.

(A/N the red hair is like real people red. Not anime red)

The old man wondered if he knew how to play chess while his granddaughter thought he would be the perfect doll to complete her doll fashion show at home.

The three men at the table glance at him but aren't too interested. They're more excited over their heated game of Cards.

Everyone there is basically a usual customer. Not everyone wants to buy a book but there are a great deal of activities.

Some people are forgetting that different types of books attract different audiences.

For example, dessert recipe books attract a different crowd than horror novels.

Everything attracts something else to balance it out.

~~~~~

Izuku is quirkless, but his cooking ability could be considered a quirk. 17% of the doomed population are quirkless.

They have no unique power.

No unique skill.

No unique quirk or a quirk at all.

But they're still good at certain practices. It's just not unique. The level of skill can be unique, though.

For Izuku, that skill is cooking. His level of skill is unique. As a person with no unique ability, as a child he felt obligated to fill that gap.

It's quite sad to see a child trying to find his special gift, only to find that he didn't have one.

So, if life doesn't give you any lemons, plant your own.

That's exactly what he did: And he planted those lemons well.

~~~~~

"What am I mediocre at?" Izuku muttered to himself, scanning the cooking books for a style of food he hasn't mastered yet.

"I'm a pro at making dinner dishes. Along with some breakfasts, but nothing I desire to improve. I like to go out for lunch so that wouldn't be much of use. I tried to make a cake, a couple months back, and that pretty much failed so I should definitely work on my desserts," He muttered, earning a chuckle from himself.

He was at the back of the store where the cook books are so no one else was around.

It's a pretty big store.

Once he finished his brief muttering session, an eye-catching dessert recipe book caught his eye. Different bright flavors of mochi ice cream.

It looked pretty good, so the green haired teen reached to get it.

As his fingers almost grabbed it, his hand collided with another and he felt a soft and smooth feminine hand brush against his own rough masculine hand. This caused both people to jump back in surprise.

"S-sorry did you want that?" Both said in unison.

They share a short and awkward laugh, looking at each other.

"You can um have the recipe book," Said the owner of the feminine hand.

She had short chestnut hair that fell to her shoulder, beautiful chocolate brown eyes and dark, long lashes. A permanent blush stained her cheeks against her perfect skin.

Two bangs framed her face and the rest was tied back in a messy bun.

"It's fine, you can have it," Izuku defended.

"No, I insist you can have it. I can find another one," She replied, looking up.

"I said you can have it. I'll get the next one," He said, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck," Why did you want the book anyway? Do you like to cook too?" He asked, trying to start a conversation to cure the awkward tension.

The girl is still a little flustered and the question doesn't help.

"Um. Yes and no," She says, still slightly flustered.

Midoriya quirks an eyebrow in question.

"I love to bake but... the mochi on the cover page just looked really good," She mumbled, hoping Izuku wouldn't hear the last part.

She's not used to telling people (especially attractive strangers) about her dessert life.

But of course, he heard it.

He chuckles, feeling confident," Well I could always just buy you some mochi," He says as he points to the bookstore's café.

The tips of the brunette's ears heat up," Well, if it's not too much trouble, I don-"

"C'mon," He laughs, grabbing her hand and walking her over to the welcoming café.

~~~~~

"Can I please have some strawberry and mango mochi. Large servings," He tells the café cashier.

The blushing teenager behind the cash register fumbles with it and with a shaking hand, hands him his change.

"Thanks," He smiles, clearly not noticing her nervousness and walks back to a small circular blue table, sitting down across with the familiar brunette.

"So, do you come here often? I haven't seen you here before," She asks.

"Yeah, today's the first time I've come here," He answered.

"Really? I've been coming here since I was a little girl," She answered in disbelief.

"I don't usually buy books, but I need something to do in my spare time," He deadpanned.

"Searching for a hobby, are we?" She teased.

"Yes. And it's surprisingly hard"

"Tell me about it. I can't draw for my life," She laughs.

"I can sketch but I can't draw," He says.

"That's the same thing"

"No it's not"

"Yes it is"

"No"

"Yes"

"Pffftt," She burst out in giggles about how stupid their argument was.

"Now, where have I heard that laugh before?" He mumbled so the girl didn't hear.

"Wait a minute. I don't even know your name," She notices.

"Oh, I'm Izuku," He greets, reaching out to shake her hand.

"I'm Ochako," She shakes his hand," Nice to meet you, Izuku"

He smiles, refreshed by her cheery personality," Likewise"

~~~~~

"So, what was your reason for wanting the book?" Ochako asks, sipping her iced coffee.

"Well, my dessert skills are kind of lagging behind. I want to make dessert that's just like my mom's," Determination coating his voice.

"Is it good dessert?"

"The best I've ever tasted. I remember when I was a kid, she would make Japanese cheesecake for when I came home from school and then go back to work while I was sleeping instead of taking a regular shift," He says dreamily, diving into his memories like the ocean of his mind.

"Izuku? You talk about your mom in past tense. Did something happen?" She asks quietly.

"Well, she was kind of assaulted a few hours ago," He shrugs, blinking away budding tears.

Bowing her head multiple times, she said, "I.. don't know what to say. I'm so so so so so sorry for bringing it up-"

"It's fine," A single tear escapes and rolls down his cheek," I'm already getting over it"

"Oh look!" Ochako snaps the teen out of his depressed trance," Our mochi came"

She immediately starts digging in like the previous conversation didn't even happen. Izuku smiled. After all the trauma he's been through, the girl in front of him is a total breath of fresh air.

"I didn't even notice it came," He laughs.

She joins in the laugh but almost chokes on her strawberry mochi.

She swallowed it with a pink face, and from that moment on in the bookstore, Izuku didn't think about his hospitalized mother.

~~~~~

"Is this better than the book?" Izuku asks, almost finished with his mango flavored mochi.

Ochako takes the last bite of her strawberry one," Much better"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.5K 1.7K 26
This was my first fanfic. It's shitty, be careful. Izuku Midoriya. Quirkless Police Officer. After his interaction with All Might, he gave up on bei...
1.2K 21 8
izuku midoriya was born quirkless. At first it bothered him because he wished to become a hero. but after receiving a sympathetic lecture from his i...
54.2K 806 22
Read this description you will need it promise me. This is my first fanfic. WARNING - THERE IS MATURE CONTENT IN HERE. This story is featuring ou...
16.4K 172 13
She's Gone... and I don't know how to cope, I can't even Feel anymore?! ... ... After Ochaco Decays in front of Deku, he snaps, he loses complete co...