A Vagabond's Tale [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"This story is WOW!!! How I wished it didn't come to an end!" - chysungal "Did you kidnap me?" he asked. Gig... More

These dang author's and their stupid notes!
Chapter 1 - "Did you find any survivors?"
Chapter 2 - "Did you kidnap me?"
Chapter 3 - "Do you ever want to be more?"
Chapter 4 - "Come back, alright?"
Chapter 5 - "I'm not a lady."
Chapter 6 - "You will never lose me."
Chapter 7 - "I wonder what he will be like?"
Chapter 8 - "What happened to Jayis?"
Chapter 9 - "The vagabond girl turns out to be a lady."
Chapter 10 - "I am his royal highness's steward, Jayis."
Chapter 11 - "I should not keep his Highness waiting."
Chapter 12 - "Do you plan to neglect your duties?"
Chapter 13 - "Are you leaving?"
Chapter 14 - "Do not lie to me."
Chapter 15 - "If you ask it of me."
Chapter 16 - "Say what you must say and let's move on."
Chapter 17 - "Will you marry him?"
Chapter 18 - "Very well, mother if you wish it."
Chapter 19 - "I believe this next dance belongs to me."
Chapter 20 - "I have no intention of marrying."
Chapter 21 - "What do you wish to know?"
Chapter 22 - "You were the exact person I was looking for."
Chapter 23 - "Is that really true?"
Chapter 25 - "I would like the truth."
Chapter 26 - "I can not go with you."
Chapter 27 - "Look only at me."
Chapter 28 - "It is not a thing that can be changed."
Chapter 29 - "It does not have to be that way."
Chapter 30 - "Steal me away."
Chapter 31 - "I wish the same for you, my Prince."
Chapter 32 - "We knew you would not waste it."
Chapter 33 - "Am I wrong?"
Chapter 34 - "I fell in love."
You Have My Heart
Epilogue
A Pirate's Tale - Completed!
A Royal's Tale - Completed!

Chapter 24 - "Say nothing."

16K 1.5K 1.9K
By joymoment

Gigi rested her hands on the polished railing, looking down on the ballroom, watching the spinning couples. The vibrant dresses of the women fanned out, making the scene look like a painter mixing colors. The intertwining instruments sang out a lively melody that buoyed the atmosphere of the palace. Lantern flames made hair turn golden and shimmered off of embroidered gowns.

Gigi studied the crowd, her heart hoping to spot the one person who wasn't there. Her gaze briefly landed on her grandparents standing with Davin's parents, talking. When her eyes traveled over the dancers she paused, seeing Everly in Thayer's arms. Her gaze lingered, mesmerized by the elegant couple who attracted all sets of eyes.

"You seem to be missing your train of suitors," a voice said behind her.

Gigi smiled to herself as Davin took up a position beside her. He leaned on the railing, wine glass in hand. His eyes surveyed the scene but his face showed no emotion.

"I found my train of suitors to be tiring and left them behind," Gigi said, still watching the undulating crowd.

"Ah, does this have anything to do with your discovery of their motives?" he asked, looking at her.

Gigi didn't respond and Davin turned his face away. "I'm sorry you didn't know. If I had been aware of this, I would have told you sooner."

"Thank you."

Davin nodded. They returned to looking over the ballroom. Ribbons of conversations floated up to them, the words lost for meaning. Couples and trios passed behind them lost in their own worlds. The music shifted and Gigi felt her heart lift with the boisterous rhythm. She glanced at Davin but he seemed settled. His eyes were glued to two forms below, a cloud of solemn thoughts crossing over his expression. He took a sip of his drink absently.

Gigi said nothing, not wanting to intrude on his thoughts. She debated whether to descend the stairs and allow someone to approach her. Her mind was made up when she heard the tapping of footsteps. Turning, she found a man her own age stopping before her. He had a youth face and quiet brown eyes. He bowed, the gesture respectful instead of haughty.

"Lady Genevieve," he said, his voice gentle. "I would be honored if you would allow me a dance."

The request was put so humbly, Gigi was stunned. Over the past three weeks, she thought she knew how each man would treat her. The man gave her a shy smile, which she felt her lips return.

"I would love to," she said.

He offered his arm and she took it. Davin didn't notice their departure. The man led Gigi down the stairs, his gaze darting towards her every few seconds.

"We met once before, Lady," he said, "but it was when you first arrived in Court. I am Duke Evert."

"I am sorry that I forgot," she said.

He smiled, the look bashful. "It is nothing I fault you for, Lady."

They entered the mass of chatting and drinking men and women. Gigi's appearance caught the attention of former suitors. When they saw her hand was taken their eyes blazed with jealousy. Evert guided her to the center of the ballroom, unaware of the envious looks that were hurled his way.

With a hesitancy that caught Gigi off guard, he slid his hand around her waist and took her hand. Despite his cautious nature, he danced with quiet certainty. As the song went on he pulled Gigi a bit closer, the rhythm of their movements melding together. With the music wrapping her up in its folds Gigi found herself smiling, dashing away the troubled thoughts of the past few days.

The song ended before Gigi wanted it to, comfortable in Evert's hold. From the corner of her eye, she saw movement. A determined face man strode towards them. Evert gave Gigi another shy smile.

"Might I convince you into taking a walk with me?" he asked.

Gigi slipped her hand into his elbow, turning her back on the approaching nobleman.

"Lead the way," she said.

Elated, Evert pulled her away from the throng of people. They left behind the heated space of the ballroom and walked out onto the balcony. Gigi breathed in the night air. Beyond the palace walls, the city was alight with music and the ringing of voices in celebration. Lights burned from windows, the glow of it looking as if the city was aflame.

Gigi and Evert moved in silence for a long while, Evert trying to gather his words. Gigi let the quiet hold. She could sense his growing thoughts and felt his gaze flit to and away from her.

"Lady Genevieve," he said, his voice raised as if it could bolster his resolve. A part of Gigi hesitated, a spark of apprehension set off. "I know that I do not seem like much. I am nothing compared to the men of Court, but I believe that despite this I could be someone worthy of your love."

Evert's focus remained forward as if he knew his strength would fail him if he looked at Gigi. She watched his face, seeing the doubt in his expression.

"I know that you might find this abrupt due to the fact that we have barely spoken, but since I first met you I felt something that I can not deny. If you would accept my proposal of marriage I would strive to make you happy for the rest of your life," he finished.

As the last words left his mouth, he tensed as if ready to bear the weight of her harsh refusal. Something in Gigi softened towards him, feeling the courage that it took for him to say what he did. Though if it not for the truth that had jaded her thoughts she felt she could have given him a hopeful response. Instead, she felt her heart building a wall. She stopped walking and tugged on Evert's arm so he would turn to her. Reluctantly, he did so, his eyes already inspecting the ground.

"Duke Evert," she said, her tone a caress. He looked up. "Any lady would be honored by such a heartfelt proposal." Evert shifted already hearing the rejection. "I am one such lady, but I regret that my answer is not the one you desire."

He gave a nod and taking her hand, kissed it. "Thank you, Lady. I wish you well."

He left, unable to bear the denial. Gigi didn't follow after him. Left without her escort she didn't want to return to the eyes of hungry men. She continued down the path, letting it lead her away from the palace. The further she went, the more at ease she became. She turned into an archway and stopped before a familiar fountain. She wondered if her desire to see Raif had led her there.

She stared at the bubbling water. Uncaring of the thoughts of Court, she slipped off her shoes. She relaxed, letting out a breath. The blades of grass tickled her bare feet. Her eyes were pulled to the palace walls. From where she stood all she could see was a bright glow. It was a sight that tugged at her. A joyous melody climbed the walls and fell into the grounds. Though the music of the Court was beautiful there was an energy about the fiddles beyond that made her want to pick up her dress and dance till her feet hurt.

She stood staring at the light, everything in her enchanted by the sound. One hand held the edge of her dress as if she planned to act on the impulse to dance. She was so lost in the music she didn't hear the footsteps. Thayer paused in the archway, staring at Gigi barefoot and gazing out at the wall.

"You have misplaced your shoes, Lady," he said.

Gigi spun at his words. His eyes dropped pointedly to her shoes left on the grass. She let out an embarrassed chuckle.

"You find it strange that I do not wear shoes," she said, "where I find it strange to wear shoes all the time. I was raised without them."

Thayer stepped forward. "Surely, you owned a pair?"

"I have not. The Eldin follow the sun's warmth. There is no cold we need protection from." She moved towards the fountain, walking in a circle around it. She cocked her head at Thayer. "Have you ever gone without shoes, Your Highness?"

"I have not," he said.

A teasing smile tugged at her lips. "Have you ever wanted to?"

"Whether I want to or not is not important. It is not appropriate for me to wander around shoeless."

Gigi lifted her eyebrows taunting. "Ah, but you would not be wandering, you would merely be standing here. In this secluded place."

Thayer stared at her, his eyes showcasing his internal debate.

"You are not King yet. And I would guess many of your subjects do not own shoes. Interesting, how this small thing is something you have never experienced."

Thayer dropped his hands from behind his back and shook his head, as if unable to believe his own thoughts. He let out a self-mocking laugh. Gigi waited. Wearing a faint smile, he removed his shoes. He flexed his toes in the grass, staring down. Watching him, a thought crossed Gigi's mind.

"Tell me, Your Highness, what brought you here?" she asked.

Thayer straightened, his composure returning. "I saw Duke Evert return without you, Lady. I wished to see if you were all right."

"And Lady Everly was left to fend for herself?"

Thayer took a step, successfully turning his face from her. "Lord Davin requested a dance with Everly and I approved."

Gigi took up her rotation of the fountain. Thayer fell into step a few paces behind.

"And now you are here with me," she said, "shoeless."

He looked at her over the fountain. "It appears I am."

Gigi smiled, looking away. They walked, not looking at each other. Gigi glanced at the wall, the light dimming the night sky.

"What do they celebrate?" she asked.

Thayer followed her gaze towards the city. "Have you never celebrated the Full Moon Festival?"

She shrugged. "You forget that my people live on the outside of cities. Very rarely do our celebrations align."

He nodded in understanding. "The whole city partakes in The Full Moon Festival. It lasts five days. It is a celebration of the end of the summer season, the end of the year and the close of the King's Festival."

"Have you ever been to the city's celebration?"

Thayer shook his head. "No, my place is at Court."

They continued to move in slow rhythmic circles, the noise from the city accompanying their footsteps. Thayer looked down, observing his bare feet as he walked.

"Do all Eldin's travel without shoes?" Thayer asked.

"Yes, though when the men work with the horses they wear them."

Thayer nodded, growing accustomed to the feel of the bare ground underfoot. "I find it hard to imagine such a life."

"Not many people try to."

Thayer looked at her and she met his gaze. "Do you miss it?"

A sad smile played around her lips. "Why do you think you found me shoeless tonight, Your Highness."

He stopped walking. "Will you return?"

Gigi paused unsure whether he was asking about her family or to the Court? Before she could form an answer they heard voices. Thayer rushed forward and grabbed their shoes before darting behind a wall of trellises, Gigi following suit. Hidden behind the thick vines, the air was sweet with the smell of jasmine.

"I will be ridiculed if I am found shoeless," Thayer whispered.

"I have been ridiculed for far less," Gigi said.

He gave her a deep look as if seeing another facet of her. She met his gaze, barely making out his brown eyes in the darkness. The voices grew louder, one male and one female. The sound snagged their attention. Gigi pushed aside a piece of the vine, trying to see who was coming. In her mind, this fountain was lost from the sight of the Court. So far from the palace, she wondered who had found it.

When Raif came into view her heart lept, her eyes brightening. At the sight of Claudia on his arm, the light was extinguished. They entered through the archway.

"...I have been wondering," Claudia mused.

"I find no surprise in that," Raif said. "You often wonder more than you should."

Claudia let out a light laugh. They walked leisurely around the fountain, their bodies so close no light made it between them.

"I have watched," Claudia said, "how you have spent your time this year and with whom." She gave him a pointed look. Raif said nothing to her unspoken inquiry. "I must ask Raif, are you in love with Lady Genevieve?"

Gigi turned to stone. Thayer glanced at her, but she was unaware. The edge of Raif's mouth curled.

"You know that I do not have dealings with love," he said.

The words were like a blow to Gigi. All the breath left her.

"I did not know if you had changed," Claudia said. "You have been spending all your time with her."

"I have," he admitted freely.

"Why?"

Raif said nothing for a long moment, his eyes taking on a calculating look. Gigi felt her insides twist.

"She is untainted by this world. She is not cunning, but innocent, " he said. "I find it interesting. Refreshing."

His words were not harsh or mocking. They were said in the same easy tone he spoke all things. In that moment Gigi almost wished he would be mocking, she felt it would hurt far less than careless tone. Thayer made no sound or movement beside her, but she felt his weighted gaze.

Claudia nodded. "I understand what you mean. I was surprised to find her so naive to life." Her gaze cut to Raif. "So you are not in love?"

"You already have my answer."

She gave him a sly smile. "I was not sure. There were rumors you kissed her."

Gigi flushed with embarrassment at the false rumor sensing Thayer shift beside her and look away.

"I have kissed many women," Raif said.

Gigi clenched the vine, feeling as if she had been cut open and her insides were spilled onto the ground.

"I remember," Claudia said, her voice silky. "Though the memory is distant."

"If you wish to be kissed," Raif said, "all you must do is ask."

Claudia gave him a cool look. "A lady would never make such a forward remark."

Raif turned towards her, closing the distance between them. "There are ways of asking without using words."

A coy smile slipped on Claudia's lips as she tilted her chin. Raif cupped her face and waiting a breath, kissed her.

As the kiss went on it deepened to something far more passionate than Gigi knew she had ever experienced. She found herself unable to look away, though each second was like a knife been driven into her.

At last, the kiss ended. Raif lingered inches from Claudia's face whispering something that Gigi couldn't hear. It didn't matter though, the devilish gleam that entered Claudia's eyes said it all. He kissed her again, then took her hand quickly leading her away all the while speaking to her in a low voice.

Even after their shadows had disappeared Gigi didn't move. Her heart lay at her feet, bleeding weakly. She felt trapped in a terrible dream that wouldn't end. Her thoughts were a fog of confusion and hurt. She tried to push through it to clarity but the harder she tried to more disjointed she got.

Thayer gently touched her arm. The contact snapped Gigi from her thoughts. She looked at him. Sympathy was plainly written in his face. The expression made Gigi want to run away. Hating to have her humiliation witnessed.

She spun away, heading back to the palace. Thayer hurried after her.

"Genevieve," he said.

"I beg you," she said, her voice thick. "Say nothing."

Instead, Thayer held out her shoes. Wordlessly, Gigi took them. In that moment she hated the sight of them.

**********************************************************************

Blasted moons! 😱

The truth has come out! Raif doesn't love Gigi and freely kisses other women! 🤭

Now I know half or pretty much all of you are shouting, 'I TOLD YOU SO PUNK! WHAT! HA! I KNEW IT! I WAS SO RIGHT! YEAH! I WIN!' And you were, Raif isn't the perfect person we thought we knew and loved.

Now, after you get over screaming or crying in bookn3rds4life's case (I'm sorry. I hope your heart isn't completely crushed) tell me how you feel about the whole thing?

What emojis are we throwing at Raif for doing that to Gigi?

In my mind I also saw him as a Han Solo, Jack Sparrow, type. The lovable scoundrel. I can understand if you're still pissed at him and want to strangle him at this point and can't really see him this way.

Who is your favorite lovable scoundrel? (Yes, this is a diversion from your anger, pain, hurt, sadness, victory dance, crushed heart and what not)

Don't, kill, my character! (Or vote, comment, follow. Basically the same thing!)

I believe it was decided that Paul Wesley, Ben Barnes and Chris Pine all worked for Raif perspectively, so I'll show you who I chose for Gigi. I think she's a pretty perfect match. What do you think?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 3.4K 22
As I leave, the cold British wind greets me. I zip up my sweater, and start walking home. Thanks to my parents, I don't have a car. "You're too irr...
2.3K 105 36
18+ Trigger warning for talk of suicide/drugs.* A story about a young human girl who tries to steal from a fae man. She gets put in a cell under the...
255 108 9
Your Romance is here!! __________________________ Where are you looking at? The Summary is given below my sweet intruder! ;) By the way you are welc...
4.1K 474 34
[COMPLETED : 5|09|2016 and slowly editing ] He snapped his fingers and a red flame flourished into existence. "How did you-" "I'm a professional." He...