A Vagabond's Tale [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"This story is WOW!!! How I wished it didn't come to an end!" - chysungal "Did you kidnap me?" he asked. Gig... More

These dang author's and their stupid notes!
Chapter 1 - "Did you find any survivors?"
Chapter 2 - "Did you kidnap me?"
Chapter 3 - "Do you ever want to be more?"
Chapter 4 - "Come back, alright?"
Chapter 5 - "I'm not a lady."
Chapter 6 - "You will never lose me."
Chapter 7 - "I wonder what he will be like?"
Chapter 8 - "What happened to Jayis?"
Chapter 9 - "The vagabond girl turns out to be a lady."
Chapter 10 - "I am his royal highness's steward, Jayis."
Chapter 11 - "I should not keep his Highness waiting."
Chapter 12 - "Do you plan to neglect your duties?"
Chapter 13 - "Are you leaving?"
Chapter 14 - "Do not lie to me."
Chapter 15 - "If you ask it of me."
Chapter 16 - "Say what you must say and let's move on."
Chapter 17 - "Will you marry him?"
Chapter 18 - "Very well, mother if you wish it."
Chapter 19 - "I believe this next dance belongs to me."
Chapter 20 - "I have no intention of marrying."
Chapter 22 - "You were the exact person I was looking for."
Chapter 23 - "Is that really true?"
Chapter 24 - "Say nothing."
Chapter 25 - "I would like the truth."
Chapter 26 - "I can not go with you."
Chapter 27 - "Look only at me."
Chapter 28 - "It is not a thing that can be changed."
Chapter 29 - "It does not have to be that way."
Chapter 30 - "Steal me away."
Chapter 31 - "I wish the same for you, my Prince."
Chapter 32 - "We knew you would not waste it."
Chapter 33 - "Am I wrong?"
Chapter 34 - "I fell in love."
You Have My Heart
Epilogue
A Pirate's Tale - Completed!
A Royal's Tale - Completed!

Chapter 21 - "What do you wish to know?"

15.4K 1.4K 1.3K
By joymoment

Gigi hurried through the hallways, her mind was a web of thoughts that connected things she had not thought to connect. A need to know a simple fact spurred her feet faster until she was almost running down the corridors.

Finally, she stopped before a set of doors. Her heart hammered inside her chest, wanting to know but wanting to stay ignorant to the truth as the same time. For a long while, she stood there, motionless with indecision. Taking a shaky breath in, she knocked.

The door opened and her grandmother's maid stood there.

"Is there something you need, Lady?" she asked.

"Is my grandmother there?"

"I'm afraid Lady Brixton is not here."

Gigi felt her heart sink. "Do you know where she is?"

The maid nodded. "She is in the East Parlor, having tea with-"

Gigi didn't let the maid finish, already rushing back down the hallway. Her hand hovered above the railing as she moved down the steps. A group of men stood in a circle at the bottom of the staircase, talking. At the sight of her, a few of them looked over, their smiles brightening, all of them sharing the same eager look. A look that Gigi now understood. Now knew the true ugly meaning behind.

Before they could steal her time, she turned and walked away, quickening her pace when one of them called to her. There was a murmur of voices and a set of footsteps tapped out a beat on the tile behind her. She cut into the first hallway she found. When she looked back to see who had decided to follow her, she nearly ran into someone.

"Lady Genevieve," Thayer said, retreating before they could collide.

Gigi staggered to a halt, her face flushed, her eyes burning with a need. Thayer looked startled, then his gaze jumped to the figure that appeared at the other end of the corridor.

"Are you all right, Lady?" he asked.

Gigi nodded and tried to move on, but Thayer stepped into her path.

"Excuse me, your Highness. I simply need to go to the East Parlor," she said, trying to sound calm, her emotions fraying. "I must speak with my grandmother."

The nobleman that had followed Gigi, tried to look unconcerned and turned in a circle as if he planned on inspecting the ceiling the entire time. Thayer looked between the man and Gigi, misreading her look.

"I will walk you there," he said. "I am sure the palace is still a bit confusing to you."

Gigi bristled. "I assure you I know the way."

Thayer gave a nod. "Of course. That is why you are on the main floor and in the North end of the palace."

Gigi's cheeks flared with color, but Thayer didn't look smug. Instead, he gave her an understanding smile and gestured forward. Finding no way to talk herself out of his company, Gigi started moving. Thayer threw a glance back to the nobleman that was now dissuaded from his pursuit.

They walked in silence, Thayer directing their steps up a flight of stairs and through tapestry covered hallways. Gigi barely registered his presence, her mind spinning around and around. Thayer glanced at her, trying to decipher the troubled look on her face. Turning his attention away, he cleared his throat.

"I did not expect to see you so soon," he said. "That book and ledge looked...comfortable." His eyes jumped to her. Gigi frowned as if trying to remember what he was referring to.

"Yes...I...something came up and I realized I needed to speak with my grandmother."

"I see."

Another stretch of silence passed between them.

"Are you all right, Lady?" he asked.

"I believe you have already asked me that, your Highness."

"Yes, and I find I am still waiting for an answer."

Gigi opened her mouth, but couldn't find the right response. Her world felt as if it had been tipped over and spilled across the floor. She closed her mouth, not able to look at Thayer.

"If you want honesty-"

"I would prefer it."

"Then I do not know, your Highness."

Thayer nodded but did not press her for more than that. Amidst all her chaotic emotions she found herself grateful to him.

They stopped outside a set of doors. Behind them, Gigi could hard the clinking of china and the flutter of voices.

"Thank you, your Highness," she said.

Thayer gave a nod. "Let me know if there is anything I can do."

Gigi looked at him, struck by the comment. He was a Prince and yet he asked her if she needed something. Another spark of confusion hit her as she tried to figure out the meaning behind his words. There was nothing she had that could be worth anything to him. Before she could question what he meant, Thayer left. Gigi watched him go adding another confusing piece to the puzzle before her.

When he was no longer in sight, she turned back to the doors. She knocked. The door was pulled open by a servant. Behind her, Gigi could see women gathered around tables, sipping tea and leaning close to each other. At one table sat her grandmother, seated with Ladies that shared the same years with her.

Before the servant could inquire about her needs, Gigi stepped into the room. A few glances were given to her, but most of the women stayed engrossed in their talk. Smoothing out her dress, Gigi approached her grandmother's table. Lady Brixton looked up and surprise flitted over her expression before her reserved smile came into play.

"Genevieve, what is it dear?" she asked, muting the conversations at her table.

"Grandmother, I am sorry to intrude but I must speak with you."

"Is it so urgent I must interrupt my tea?" she asked, curious.

Gigi felt part of her shrink away, an apology rising in her throat, but the need to know suffocated the words and blustered her courage.

"I am afraid so. It will not take but a moment."

After a brief pause, her grandmother rose. The women around the table glanced at each other, their thoughts moving away from Gigi. Lady Brixton joined Gigi and they left the chattering company. In the hallway, she looked at Gigi, waiting. Suddenly, Gigi couldn't find it in herself to ask the one question that was burning her tongue. Scared of what this would mean. Of how it would alter her experiences of the past weeks.

"What is it, Genevieve?" her grandmother asked.

"Is it true that I am to inherit the Estate?"

To Lady Brixton's credit, she barely reacted. Looking both ways, she walked towards a doorway, Gigi following after her. They entered an empty study that smelled of parchment and lantern oil. Her grandmother directed her to sit and Gigi did so, though she felt as if she was about to jump out of her skin. Lady Brixton shut the door and sat across from Gigi.

"Who turned you on to these thoughts?" she asked.

Gigi gripped her hand.

"Grandmother, is it true?" she asked.

Lady Brixton let out a small breath. "Since your mother has declined her title, then yes, if you were to truly accept your title and position then you would inherit the Estate."

Gigi stared at her grandmother, the words taking a moment to reach her, though she had been preparing herself for them. Her grandmother watched her with calm, studying eyes.

"Why did you not tell me before?" Gigi asked, the words quiet.

"It was a matter your grandfather and I did not know how you would take," she said. "This world was so new to you, we did not wish to burden you with something so heavy."

"But you did plan to tell me?"

Her grandmother nodded. "Of course. It seems someone got in ahead of us, but we planned to tell you if you were going to stay with us."

Gigi gave a slow nod, her mind trying to process what this meant for her. How is changed how she saw herself in the Court's eyes. Then all of her grandmother's words landed.

"Stay with you?"

Her grandmother reached out and laid a hand on Gigi's. "Yes. It would be our wish to see you stay at the Estate and be raised as a Lady. Knowing you the past month has been a delight. Getting to be with you even longer would be more than I could hope for."

With a bright smile, her grandmother squeezed Gigi's hand, eliciting a glowing warmth from her. Gigi smiled back.

"Grandmother, do you wish for me to inherit the Estate?"

"We do. If you chose not to inherit, the Estate would fall out of our family's line. But I know the thought of inheriting an Estate can be overwhelming, that is why we never told you. If you can, put it from your mind. It is not a matter worth thinking over."

Gigi nodded, trying to do that but failing. Her grandmother stood.

"I must return." She gently lifted Gigi's chin up. "Do not let it trouble you, dear, it is a small thing."

Her grandmother left and Gigi sat there, unable to sort through her emotions. The truth was daunting, but she knew that was only if she chose to stay. There was still a path she could take that didn't feel so burdening. She remained motionless, trapped in the storm of her thoughts.

Eventually, her emotions settled. With the missing piece to the puzzle in place, looks and conversations from the previous weeks made more sense. Relief came over her, no longer feeling a tether to the suitors that had bored her. She smiled and fought back a laugh, thinking over all the men that had vied for her time in vain. One image cut through the rest and instantly Gigi was standing.

She rushed out of the study. Uncaring of the looks that traveled after her, she hurried through the palace. She could feel the memory of last night's sweet moment turning sour and needed an answer only one person could give. Breathless, she stopped before a door and knocked. A gray-haired man answered.

"Yes, Lady?" he asked.

"Is Duke Sayers here?" she asked, trying to seem calm.

"No, Lady." Gigi's heart dropped to the floor. "He left for the stables only a minute ago. He was called-"

Gigi turned and darted away. She knew if he left and she didn't know how he truly felt she would be driven crazy by the wait.

The stables smelled of wood, hay, and something that made her think of home. It was still raining, the gray dimming the light. Down the center aisle, Gigi spotted Raif, standing beside his black stallion. He wore a long cloak that swayed around his calves when he moved. A stable hand was giving him the horse's reins.

"Raif," Gigi said, moving forward.

Raif turned, his lips curling at the familiarity in which she called to him.

"Come to see me off, vagabond girl?"

Gigi stopped before him. His teasing eyes were the same as always and the sight of it still made her heart hiccup.

"I need to know something before you leave," she said.

Crossing his arms, Raif leaned against his horse, the posture so natural.

"What do you wish to know?" he said, his tone playful.

Despite what she knew, she still felt her lips lift at his tone. She swallowed her emotions.

"I need to know whether you have any interest in commanding my grandparents' Estate through a marriage with me?" she asked.

Gigi felt her heart squeeze and her breath stop.

Raif smiled, the look carefree. "Genevieve, I am blessed by being born the third of three sons. This means I will own no Estate and will not be tied down by one. My freedom is what I prize." He leaned in. "No, Lady, I have no interest in your grandparents' Estate."

Gigi's heart sprouted wings. All her fear and worry vanished, leaving behind a smile she couldn't contain. Raif chuckled at the expression. He took her hand and kissed the back of it, his eyes darting up to her. Heat flooded Gigi's face as her stomach melted into her toes.

"I must leave you," he said. He released her hand and lifted himself into his horse's saddle. She took a step forward, wishing he wasn't leaving.

"Where are you going this time?" she asked, wanting a piece of his voice to savor.

"I received word of a vase in Lexin that I have been requested to acquire. I make you a promise that I will return."

She moved back. "I will be waiting."

He sent her a smile and rode out into the rain. Gigi stood there, watching after him. A stable hand walked passed her, a bale of hay weighing down one shoulder. Gigi pulled herself from her daze and walked down one of the aisles, ending at her mare. The horse looked up as she entered the stall. She scratched its neck, absorbing the warmth of its soft coat.

With the doubt of Raif's attention lifted, she returned to the notion that she could inherit one of the largest Estates. The thought itself felt staggering in size, unable to think of how someone as simple as she could take on such a large role.

For the first time, the smell of the stables was not enough, she wished to talk with her father and not just his shadow. Wished to hear his deep voice giving her advice. The beat of footsteps and the voices of men rang off the ceiling and stones floors. One set of boots became more prominent.

"Do you plan to ride in the rain, Lady?"

Gigi glanced back and found Vic standing at the stall door. She shook her head.

"No, I find it comfortable here. More space to think."

"And what thoughts have led you here today, Lady?"

Gigi didn't respond right away, stroking her mare's forehead. Vic made no sound, equally allowing her to respond or not.

"I learned that it is in my power to inherit my grandparents' Estate," she said.

Vic frowned. "I assumed this would be known to you, Lady. You are their only heir. Did you not know?"

"I did not think it would be me," she said, quietly. "I am Eldin."

"Yes, but you are also a Lady."

**********************************************************************

Let's follow that trail!
(Road to El Dorado for anyone who loves that movie like I do!)

Yay! Raif doesn't love Gigi for her Estate! Oh happy day, happy day!! Gosh who was worried for a moment there?

Well, at least that fear is gone. But now we are still stuck with two ships and wind in both sails! Oh my who oh who will take the lead!

So if you've read any of my other books before you know that I don't do love triangles, I don't like them because I'm a fan of watching as two characters discover their feelings for each other. So this is a first for me and it's kind of interesting. It's unlikely I'll do this again but it has definitely been fun to see how divided everyone is!

Would you want another live triangle book from me?

Question for you: what is one situation, factor or plot type that you've read in books that you hate?
(i.e. weak characters, teenage girl coaching football, stuff like that)

Vote, comment, follow but do it quickly we have another chapter to get to!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

588 40 16
"Give me one valid reason as to why I should sign this?" He said leaning back on his chair, folding his arms against his chest. "Umm...you'd get a y...
255 108 9
Your Romance is here!! __________________________ Where are you looking at? The Summary is given below my sweet intruder! ;) By the way you are welc...
708K 25.4K 37
"Good morning and welcome to the Saints Bank, how may I help you?" "Empty all the money in the bag," "Excuse me?" "Boys now, Everybody get down!" ~...
1.3K 64 12
When Enid Jones a straight A student and a perfect Islamic daughter any parent would wish to have, won a scholarship to the prestigious Montrose Acad...