From Wyoming, to Middle-earth

By lotr_love

Nightmares haunt her nights and she has no idea why. She sees things in the shadows; sees ethereal beings; s... More

Chap. 2 - The Expedition
Chap. 3 - The Portal in the Grass
Chap. 4 - The Meeting
Chap. 5 - Bree and Beer
Chap. 6 - Hobbits and The Ring Wraiths
Chap. 7 - Breakfast Items
Chap. 8 - Ring Wraiths and an Elf
Chap. 9 - Healing and The Council Invite
Chap. 10 - The Locket
Chap. 11 - The Council of Elrond
Chap. 12 - The Journey Out
Chap. 13 - Crebain and Caradhas Pass
Chap. 14 - Mines of Moria Pt. 1
Chap. 15 - Mines of Moria Pt. 2
Chap. 16 - Mines of Moria Pt. 3
Chap. 17 - Lothlórien
Chap. 18 - Jealousy Conquers All
Chap. 19 - Reunited With A Decision
Chap. 20 - The Departure and Gifts
Chap. 21 - The Argonath and the Kidnapping
Chap. 22 - Riders of Rohan
Chap. 23 - Fangorn and Shadowfax
Chap. 24 - Edoras and Théoden
Chap. 25 - Arroch and the Road to Helms Deep
Chap. 26 - The Wargs
Chap. 27 - Helms Deep and The Return
Chap. 28 - The Preparations
Chap. 29 - Elves, Uruk-Hai, and the Victory
Chap. 30 - Isengard and Hobbits
Chap. 31 - The Celebration and the Palantir
Chap. 32 - The Stables and Minas Tirith
Chap. 33 - The Armor and the Ride to Death
Chap. 34 - Arrows and the Rescue
Chap. 35 - The White Flower
Chap. 36 - The Fire and the Witch King
Chap. 37 - Houses of Healing
Chap. 38 - The Falling Eye
Chap. 39 - Aùnya and Police Officers
Chap. 40 - Farewells and the Ring

Chap. 1 - The Fortune

21.1K 440 216
By lotr_love

~ Welcome, new reader. This book is in the process of being edited! Bear with me :/ ~

This morning I woke to the sound of birds warbling outside my window. It was almost peaceful, that is, until three loud cracks silenced the forest.

The birds fell quiet.

Ugh. My eyes slowly blinked open as more gunshots fired. My father owned a shooting range a few miles down from our house. The sounds always traveled up in such a way that it sounded like gunslingers were having a showdown right outside my window.

I laid in my bed for a few minutes, staring at my ceiling and simply listening to the gunshots. Then I finally gathered the nerve to heave myself out of bed.

Oh gods, I was sore. Yesterday I had gone on an expedition. Expeditions are what my father and I made up when I was little. Basically, it's just a better--in my opinion--name for a friendly jog through the woods. That is if one could count a nearly twelve mile loop with targets that I'd run by shooting a friendly "jog". My hands had blisters and cuts from handling my bow.

At the thought, my gaze traveled to the bow. It was leaning against my dresser. I've had it since I was eight--nearly fifteen years ago. I've always been in love with archery. Shooting things . . . Basically my passion. My father and I share the same love of weapons. So much that he'd opened up a range.

The range was the only one around for miles so it gets plenty of business. It's nestled in a valley, outside of the small Wyoming town I live in. And yes; I still live with my dad. There's no need to move out when the small community college I attend is in town. It's quite convenient.

I stretched out my legs and rolled my shoulders, skimming my fingers over my bow as I approached my desk to look at a small, bronze frame. In it was a picture of my mother. She died when I was young; died because of some damn drunk driver.

"Hello, Mama," I murmured, picking up the frame to briefly kiss it.

Beside the frame was a small locket, strung on a delicate golden chain. Within it was a picture of my entire family. Together. There was never a day where I didn't wear it. I clipped it around my neck before dressing myself in the same pants I've been wearing for two days--they're still clean--and an old shirt. I shoved my feet into some random socks I found and rushed downstairs, bow in hand.

The backdoor clicked open as two black labradors came bounding in. My dad followed and offered me a smile, then pulled me into a sloppy hug. "Morning, Alex."

"Morning," I mumbled, pulling back as I pushed a lock of hair behind my ears.

"How've your dreams been?" he asked, putting a filter into the coffeemaker.

"Mm. They could be . . . better," I said. My dog, Bon, snuffed at my feet. I leaned down to pet her. "Yeah. They could be better."

My dreams. I've never had such vivid nightmares. Usually I'm the type to wake up and forget my dreams--not a trace. But now I can recall everything with frightening clarity. Usually I'm the type to sleep through the entire night without waking. Now, I'm awakened at ungodly hours. Sometimes I wake screaming. Sometimes I see shadows undulating in the corner.

They've only begun recently, starting the night I returned from visiting a fortune teller on a dare.

[flashback to the fortune teller night]

I grumbled underneath my breath as I trudged up the metal ramp that led to the RV trailer's door. Lina, my friend, stood at the start of the ramp, smiling at me. The smell of stale cigarettes made me wrinkle my nose. I shot Lina a glare. She was very annoying when it came to truth or dare.

"I'll wait outside," she said, leaning against the trailer. "It smells like cigarettes and fish. No thanks."

"Thanks," I muttered before pushing the door open.

Humid air hit me like a wall as I stepped inside. Hell, did it smell like fish and smoke. I wanted to gag. But beneath that stench, I smelled herbs. As if she was burning incense or something of the like.

I examined the inside of the trailer. It was dark. Candles were lit and flickering. Christmas tree lights were strung around a tiny doorway. They gave off enough light to reveal strange symbols scrawled on the wall. A language I'd never seen before was written all over the place. On the cupboards, on the ceiling, the walls . . . I grimaced.

"Ah . . . Hello?" I asked. My voice came out timidly. "I've come for a fortune?" My fingers fiddled with the five dollar bill I had concealed in my pocket.

Sudden movement from the room behind the doorway with the Christmas lights made me stiffen. I heard muttering, then the sound of papers shuffling. I walked closer, then looked into the room. "Hello?"

Candles lit the perimeter of the room. There wasn't a single item of furniture in the room. Words in that strange, elegant language were scrawled everywhere. Then in the middle of the tiny room huddled a figure. It hissed words I couldn't understand. The flames of the candles dimmed and dimmed, turning black. My eyes widened. They flames didn't grow smaller or extinguish. They just . . . grew darker and darker until . . .

The figure whipped around at the sound of my gasp.

"Stupid girl!" it growled. It stood up. A tall lanky frame was hidden behind robes. The candles returned to normal. It began to approach me. "You interrupt my sacred place!"

I backed up, raising my hands in a desperate sign of peace. I almost tripped on something. "I'm sor--" I cut myself off as I felt something cold brush past my legs. I yelped.

The figure emerged into the light. An elderly feminine face was revealed. The fortune teller's face was scarred, though her eyes a bright blue.

"I'm--I'm sorry," I muttered, continuing to back up. My hand blindly reached for the door handle. But I couldn't find it.

"You want a fortune?" the woman asked. I watched her reach into her clothes and pull out a cigarette. She lit it, watching me as she waited for me to respond. My voice wouldn't work so I just nodded. I wouldn't back out of this dare.

Her eyes sparkled in the light, curious. She blew smoke into my face as she sat on a stool. "Come here, girl."

Moments passed of me just staring at her. I held in a cough as she blew another cloud of smoke at me. I felt a little dizzy, a little entranced.

"I said, come here, girl."

I obliged after another hesitating moment. I kneeled so we could see each other at the same level. The woman was examining my face with such intensity that I felt the need to look away. But I couldn't. She reached out a wrinkled finger and pressed it to my forehead.

It was silent for a few fleeting seconds. The woman's eyes shut as she thought. I watched her lips move as she muttered things to herself--again, in another language. I wasn't sure if she was speaking the one she scrawled all over the wall. Suddenly she gasped and her eyes flew open.

The vivid blue of her eyes was gone. Her eyes were pure white. Then she screeched.

I let out my own in response, toppling backwards. But her finger stayed on my forehead. Underneath her finger, my skin started to feel as if it were burning. Then scorching. I tried to push her hand away, crying out in pain. But the woman didn't budge; her finger didn't move. She was yelling things I couldn't understand.

"Let go!" I screamed. My forehead tingled with pain. I felt dizzy. My eyes watered. "Let go!"

My heart was pounding as panic and terror began to course through my veins.

The fortune teller's voice grew loud, grew to an ethereal boom. "Until you wake, you shall be cursed with dreams. Those dreams shall intertwine with a fate you must change!" Her eyes faded to the blue they once were. Her finger lifted from my skin, and I fell back upon the ground. She looked at me, horrified. "You're connected to one I saw long ago. . . You. . . Great seas, you're the one! You must change this, fix this!" She leaned down, her rough hands cupping my face, forcing me to look at her. I was too disoriented to do anything. "Fate brought you here!"

I gained some strength back and slapped away her hands. "A stupid dare brought me here!" I rose to my feet too fast and grew dizzy. I had to lean against the wall. "You get paid to scare the living daylights out of people?" I ripped the money from my pocket and threw it at her. "You're doing a damn fine job! Curse yourself, while you're at it!"

I ripped the door open. But her voice stopped me before I left. She was looking at me with a disappointed, sad gaze.

"It is sad," she said. "You're a lonely being. Fate brought you here, but yet you refuse. You will not think I am crazy when fate leads you away." At the sight of my glare, she gave a feline grin. "These dreams will show you."

I shook my head and grit my teeth. "Fate my ass." I left the trailer and fresh air greeted me.

But before the door shut, her voice reached me. "Bear it well, Alex."

I sucked in a breath, for I had never mentioned my name. Then I ran. I ran from that trailer park and ran all the way home. I had discovered Lina had ditched me on my way home. I ran from everything.

[back to the present]

My dad sighed. "They could be better," he repeated. Then he poured coffee grinds into the coffeemaker. "I hope they do. Anyways, your uncle set up some more targets on the trails. He wants to know if you approve."

"Yeah, sure," I said. "I'll try it out today. Tell him I said thanks."

"Will do," he said.

Downing a glass of orange juice, I went into the mud room and slung my quiver over my shoulder and shoved my feet into my shoes before heading out. I broke into a jog and soon, I reached the trail.

I smiled to myself as I pulled the bowstring taut and let loose my arrows.

~ New and edited first chappie! Probably some grammar mistakes so feel free to comment the ones you find to help me out :D (comment nICELY. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism)
BUT yes. This was my first fanfic on Wattpad. Feel free to check out my other stories too :D
(Also I wrote this before I read the books. Jussayin)

The picture is where I imagined her town to be. So yeah :D
AND language-wise, this is as worse as it gets. I think. ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 191 21
She followed the dark for so long, she forgot who she was. Years after being initially captured by what Middle Earth knows them as the 'Blue Wizards'...
221K 6.6K 40
Aaron, being a Skin-changer, made life hard. Her own parents didn't want her and left her at the Elves' doorstep. Aragorn, son of Arathorn, found her...
18K 976 26
Forty years have gone by since the beginning of the Fourth Age. The time of peace is falling away as Orcs are attacking villages in Eryn Lasgalen and...
2.3K 308 11
Aragorn clasped his hands behind his back and began to slowly pace around the table. "Four years I have been king, Faramir, and every step of the way...