Unsteady

By _dripps

Book 1 in the Shards of Glass Series Unsteady ʌnˈstɛdi adjective Liable to fall or shake I felt completely b... More

Disclaimer & Subsidiary
Prologue
01. Gone
02. Alpha Omega
03. You Don't Own Me
04. Wreak Havoc
05. Crash and Burn
06. The Phoenix
07. Breathin
08. Say the Word
09. Hall of Fame
10. Let's Get Lost
11. All I Need
12. I Like Me Better
13. In the Dark
14. Run
15. Unsteady
16. Not About Angels
18. Build It Up
19. Stargazing
20. Start Again
21. Do It All For You
22. Don't Get Any Closer
23. Everything Will Be Ok
24. This Feeling
25. I'm Yours
26. Stand By You
27. More Than Words
28. Mine
29. Flight of the Stars
30. Don't Leave
31. Fools
32. Hopeless
33. Memories
34. You Are the Reason
Epilogue
Authors Note

17. Lily

1.8K 65 18
By _dripps

She knew she was hypnotised
And walking on cold thin ice
Then it broke, and she awoke again
Then she ran faster than
Start screaming, is there someone out there?
Please help me
Come get me
-Lily
-Alan Walker
-K-391
-Emelie Hollow

•••••

I didn't answer Brandon and instead focused my gaze on the table I was being forced to sit at. I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked to my right to see a smiling guy with messy brown locks and honey gold eyes. You wouldn't expect someone like him to be in a gang because of his scrawny build and friendly smile.

"It's nice seeing you again," he said in a low voice, so soft that Brandon didn't hear him.

I gave him a small smile.

"It's nice seeing you again too Kodak," I said honestly.

Alec and Kodak were the only two people from Brandon's gang I actually enjoyed seeing and spending time with. Kodak was the first person Brandon introduced me to in Wintersville.

I instantly took a liking to him because he was one of the very few people Brandon knew who actually made an effort to talk to me.

Kodak grinned at me.

"So, how have you been?" he asked.

I raised my eyebrows at him and made a gesture at Brandon.

"Scared out of my mind because I was hunted down by a blood thirsty psychopath and extremely terrified if I say something out of line because he has the ability to kill my friends. So, I've been great," I said sarcastically.

Kodak's grin fell from his face.

"I'm sorry about your family Riley. It's just that...Brandon really likes you and maybe if you put this aside everything can go back to the way it was. We can all be friends again and-"

"Kodak, stop. I don't have those feelings for Brandon anymore, not after what he's done. Nothing is ever going to be the same. I just want this to be over," I said lowly.

Kodak was an amazing person, but the problem with him was that he always saw the good in people and never the bad. He had this image of Brandon's good side in his head and would never see the bad in him.

Once upon a time he did have a good side, or maybe my naïve self imagined all of the good things about him. I still remembered how desperate I was to fit in, and then he walked in. Brandon made me feel so many things I had never felt before. We would stay up late into the night talking about our future together, painting the perfect picture with colourful dreams and whispers of unbroken promises.

It was all a lie.

Brandon would whisper his promises of protecting me and letting me rule by his side as his queen, in exchange for me. Just me, normal naïve Riley for all of that. I didn't care about how popular he was, or how his previous girlfriends had been damaged way beyond repair after dating him. I fell for his sinful looks and charming act, thinking he too was completely lost in me.

Only later on did I realize I had walked right into his trap he had set out for me. His promises in reality were a web of lies which had successfully made me cave in to his every request.

I was already far too gone for anyone to help me.

But I wasn't now.

If I want to get out of the chains Brandon has me in, I was going to need some help from someone in his gang.

I quickly scanned over who was sitting at the table and who could or would risk helping me.

There was Kodak, but he was out of the question because he thought too highly of Brandon and had this fixed picture we were meant to be.

There was Archer who was sitting next to Kodak, minding his own business unsurprisingly. Archer had pitch black hair that was died red at the ends and he always wore contacts that matched his hair. His red contacts made him look like he was a newborn vampire from Twilight, and scared almost everyone off.

I never spoke to him a lot because he never spoke much, I had a feeling him and Cameron would get along. Archer was in three other gangs before ending up in Brandon's, he might help me.

I would keep him as a plan B.

There was Zach, who was sitting next to Archer with a smug grin on his face. Zach had the typical quarter back look, because of his blonde hair and football player build. He was fairly nice, but not the brightest light. Brandon allowed him into the gang because he was an amazing fighter, and not because of his general knowledge.

So...Zach is out of the question.

Trevor, who was already staring at me in fascination, wasn't even an option. With his jet black hair and blue eyes, it was a surprise he was still single. Not only was he Brandon's best friend and right hand man, he was also the smartest person in the gang. Everyone knew he was the most loyal person in the gang with the worst personality.

Maybe not as bad as Brandon's, but still bad.

I turned away from Trevor's stare and instead went to Caleb.

I've never met Caleb before, but I was guessing he was the hacker replacing Alec. He had hair that was brown at the roots and died blonde at the top in a comb over. He was extremely good looking with brown eyes and a tattoo peeking out from underneath his shirt.

He was patting Brandon on the shoulder and laughing at something he said and with a sinking feeling I realized I couldn't use him either. If he was new to the gang, he would try his hardest to fit in and stay in. If I asked him to help me, he'd most likely tell Brandon, and that wouldn't be a pretty sight.

I bit the inside of my cheek and decided I would leave the scheming to later on, when I was alone in my room.

The bell sounded making everyone get up and clear their tables, most of them still chatting about how strange the week has been.

Yes, strange indeed.

"Areas?" Brandon asked, wrapping a firm arm around my waist to ensure I wouldn't try to escape.

"I've got the guy with the blonde hair," Kodak said, slinging his backpack onto his shoulder.

Brandon nodded and Kodak walked out of the cafeteria.

Blonde hair?

"I have the sexy girl with the black hair," Zach said, staring directly at Violet who was staring at me in confusion.

I averted my eyes away from her and only then did I realize what they were talking about. They were talking about which one of them had which of my friends.

Brandon really wasn't joking then.

"I have her boyfriend," Caleb said, speaking for the first time.

He gave Zach a pointed look and Zach crossed his arms over his chest with a scowl on his face.

"I have Kyle," Archer said, preferring to use Kyle's name unlike everyone else.

"Brandon and I have the fighter," Trevor said, purposefully leaving me out.

"Alright, leave and don't let them out of your sights," Brandon commanded.

Brandon dragged me along with him by my waist, Trevor walking at a steady pace behind him. I stared at Brandon with furrowed eyebrows.

"Wait, this doesn't make sense. Noah, Violet, Kyle and I had the same class this morning yet you were the only person in there from your gang. After this session, Kyle, Cameron, Ryder, Noah and I have the same class as well. What's going to happen to your friends?" I asked.

Brandon rolled his eyes at me.

"Kodak, Archer and Zach were in the class with Violet, Noah and Kyle. You just didn't see them and you clearly didn't see Caleb in your history class either. To answer your question, everyone but Zach, who has Violet, will be in your last class," Brandon said.

I tried to think back to my previous two classes, but couldn't recall seeing any new faces in them.

I braced myself for the blow to my heart Ryder's reaction would be, but why would he be hurt? He doesn't like me anyways, he would only be hurt because he was trying to look out for me and here I was hanging out with the guy he was trying to protect me from.

Even though that thought overruled the rest in my brain, a little piece of me thought differently.

Brandon, with his arm still wrapped around my waist, entered the class with me by his side and Trevor behind us.

We made our way to the back of the class and sat in the seats right in front of Ryder, what a coincidence...not.

Miss Wilkins was still sick and so another sub was here today. Since I had finished my work yesterday, I had nothing to do and sat staring blankly at the table in front of me.

"Psst, Riley," I felt someone poke me with a pencil.

I knew who it was and so I ignored him.

"Riley," another poke.

"Riiileeey," two more pokes.

"Carter!" the pencil hit my head.

I turned to see Brandon staring at me with a warning glare and Trevor on my left, giving me a stare that was daring me to turn around and talk to Ryder.

I took a deep breath and kept my face turned to the front of the class, resisting the urge to turn around and face Ryder.

Throughout the whole lesson I kept my face turned to the front of the class, not daring to even try and angle my head so that I could see Ryder. I was afraid of the consequences that he would face.

I was grateful once the bell had rung, knowing that at least I could escape the torture I was being put through.

I stood up and slung my bag over my back. I turned around to make my way to the front of the class and out the door, when right in front of me, Ryder stood with his hands crossed in front of his chest.

"Well? You're not going to say anything?" Ryder asked me with narrowed eyes.

I held my breath and looked at Brandon, who was watching the scene unfold with a smirk on his face.

I looked at Ryder and tried to slide past him, but he moved to the right blocking my way out.

"Riley, what's going on? Talk to me," he pleaded.

I bit my lip and made the wrong decision by looking into his eyes. His stormy grey eyes swirled with an intensity I rarely saw. They hypnotised me and I almost gave in, but before I could say anything Brandon stepped in front of me.

"Excuse me, we'd like to get to class and you're in our way," Brandon said.

I stood on my tippy toes to try and see over Brandon's shoulder, but he was too tall for that. Trevor had shifted forward and was standing next to Brandon, blocking off my view from the left of him.

Damn these skyscrapers!

Ryder was about as tall as Brandon, so Brandon didn't have an intimidating effect on him but I knew that with Trevor by his side, Ryder wasn't going to win this fight.

"I was talking to Riley, where did you come in the picture?" Ryder asked menacingly.

I mentally face palmed. Why would you argue with the guy who gave you a black eye? Egos. That's the answer.

"If you want another a bruise I suggest you carry on," Brandon said.

"Let's go," Ryder said.

"Gentleman, gentleman calm down. There will be no fighting on the schools premises," the substitute teacher said, standing between Ryder, Brandon and Trevor.

I let out a breath of relief.

Brandon turned to me and grabbed my arm, dragging me behind him past Ryder's glaring eyes and out of the class with Trevor by his side.

Ryder may have dodged Brandon's fists today but he wouldn't if he ever confronted him again.

Men and their stupid egos.

•••••

It's been a week since I have decided to avoid my friends. It felt like eternity, but only seven days have passed.

Whenever I saw my friends in the hallways I would turn around, or hide behind someone. Ryder never tried to confront me or Brandon after last week Friday.

Here's the number one question you might be asking, how did you manage to avoid Ryder when the guy is living with you?

Well, Saturday Dylan had called me and asked me if I could start working with him at Inked as it was getting really busy, and since I had nothing better to do and needed a distraction I said yes.

While Ryder was street fighting, I was working and since I got back earlier than he did I managed to avoid him in the afternoons. In the morning, I would get up slightly earlier than him to leave before I could see him.

This is how I managed to avoid Ryder for a solid week. I may have successfully managed to avoid my friends but their messages never stopped.

Friday straight after school, here I was sitting on my bed and replaying the events of last week and this week.

Last week, Brandon had come back and created a mess of my life forcing me to avoid my friends and keep this from Dylan.

This week, Brandon didn't do anything drastic and acted pretty normal. This scared me because I didn't know what he was planning and Kodak wouldn't budge when I asked him.

I didn't know why Brandon was still making me me play his sick game when he could very easily end my life, all I knew was that pretty soon I was going to snap.

Since it was Friday, Dylan had closed up Inked early and I had overheard Ryder talking about how his fight was cancelled today on the phone so as soon as I got home, I had shut myself in my room and had flung myself onto my bed so that I wouldn't have to interact with Ryder.

I heard another beep from my phone which was lying face down on my bed to prevent me from answering it.

I turned it over and looked at the messages which were piling up on my home screen.

Violet Mason:
Riley it's been a week! Please answer me.

Violet Mason:
Riley I can see you're avoiding us, just tell me why.

Violet Mason:
Riley
I
Am
Begging
You
: (

Cameron Hale:
So...I've done my best to try and keep everyone away from Brandon but I'm pretty sure Violet is plotting his murder.

Cameron Hale:
Look Riley, please just answer Violet. She's extremely sad about this whole thing.

Noah Drew:
Hey Riles. It's been a long time

Noah Drew:
Uhm Riley? You there

Noah Drew:
Riley, please come back.

Kyle Lewis:
Hey Riley. I know everyone messaging you is getting on your nerves since you clearly want nothing to do with us, but we just want to know what we did wrong. Even though I don't know what we did I'm sorry for whatever it is. I hope you can forgive us, even if it's not now x

Ryder Wilson:
Hey. Since I've never messaged you before...it's Ryder. Riley I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for hurting you on Thursday. I didn't mean to make you feel sad. Just please come back. If not for me then do it for everyone else. Please...

Dylan Andrews:
Hey kiddo, your friend stopped by today. I think his name was Rider, I may not be spelling it right but anyways he was looking for you. He said that you've been avoiding them, something you want to tell me?

Violet Mason:
Alright then Riley. You leave me with no choice. I apologise for what's going to go down.

I stared at Violet's message and read over it several times trying to make sense of it. I ignored it and went back up to Dylan's.

What was I going to tell Dylan?

Oh you know, I've just been avoiding my friends because Brandon threatened me to but now that you know this he might be after your blood as well. Just saying.

Yeah...no.

I dropped my phone onto my bed and got up, stretching my aching limbs. I had sat in the same cross legged position for two hours, and I felt it was time to go do something productive.

I walked to my closet to pull something out so that I could go for a walk to clear my head and get some fresh air.

I exchanged my old torn shirt for a mint green hoodie, a pair of black leggings and my usual ratty converse.

I left my hair down after trying to untangle it. Since it had so many tangles, when I finally broke them my hair turned into a frizzy mess. I gave up and exited my room.

I walked past the couch, surprised Ryder wasn't home yet, but I let it slip my mind as I entered the kitchen to get a snack.

I opened up the snack cupboard and stuffed a cereal bar into my pocket. I turned around only to walk straight into Ryder's chest.

I looked up shocked that he had snuck up on me without me hearing him.

Wow, maybe one day he'll tell me his secrets.

I stepped to the right so that I could get past him, but couldn't get through when he shifted his body to the right so that he could block my path.

I looked up to ask him what his problem was but was instantly confused when he wore a guilty expression.

I thought nothing of it as I stepped around him and made my way towards my front door, suddenly very aware of the fact that Ryder was following close behind me.

Just as I had my hand on the doorknob, Ryder grabbed my arm and spun me around. My protests were cut short when he suddenly brought his hand to the side of my neck.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

My breathing hitched as he pressed his cold fingers on a pressure point in my neck.

Instantly darkness invaded my senses and for the first time since the accident, I didn't want to welcome it.

•••••

"She's supposed to be awake by now."

"Relax! She'll wake up eventually."

"Maybe Ryder killed her..."

"I did not kill her you idiot!"

"Guys I think she's waking up." 

I opened my eyes and rolled my head to the left and right, trying to relieve the stiffness that was there.

I tried to pull my arms forward to try and relieve them of the pain from being tied behind me to the back of the chair I was sitting on.

Wait what?

Standing before me, were the people I least expected to kidnap me.

Violet stared at me with a hard expression on her face and behind her, Ryder was leaning against the wall looking more like a model than a high school student.

Noah and Kyle were staring eagerly at me on Violet's right and Cameron stood with his hands in his pockets next to Violet, an apologetic look on his face.

"I tried to stop them," Cameron said.

I looked around at my surroundings and tried to figure out where I was. Since I couldn't stretch my head to the back to see what was behind me, I had to settle for what was in my sight.

The room had light blue walls and a cupboard pushed up against the wall near me. Near Kyle and Noah there was a single white leather couch and  against the couch, opposite the cupboard were steps leading a closed door.

"Where am I and why am I tied up?" I asked trying to hold back my rising panic.

"We ask the questions here," Noah said.

My eyes widened in fear.

Kyle thumped him on his head making him wince and hold his head in pain.

"He's joking," Kyle said apologetically.

Noah smiled at me, his cheeks a light shade of pink.

"Sorry, I guess I got carried away in the moment," he said.

"You're in Kyle's basement. We tied you up because you would have tried to run if we left you," Violet answered my questions icily.

I looked behind her to see Ryder staring at me with emotionless eyes. I bit my lip and turned away from her.

An awkward silence filled the room and since no one made an effort to break it, I did.

"So...why am I here?" I asked, still slightly confused.

Violet narrowed her eyes at me and let out a heartless laugh.

"Are you serious! What the hell Riley? Do you know how stressed I was about you? I'm so mad I could strangle you!" Violet exclaimed angrily.

I took a few minutes to process her words and then it all came back to me.

Brandon, avoiding everyone and hurting them in the process.

"Violet, you don't understand-"

"Then make me!" she yelled.

"I-I wish I could," I said lowly.

Kyle let out a low whistle, "I think you two need some alone time to talk this out, so if you need us we'll be upstairs."

Kyle and Noah rushed upstairs, with Cameron following close behind and last out the door was Ryder. He met my eyes, giving me one last indecipherable look making me hold my breath and then walked out leaving me and Violet alone.

The tension in the air was so thick it could be cut with a knife.

"Was it really necessary to kidnap me?" I asked.

Violet sighed and pulled up a chair from behind me. She turned it around and sat on it backwards, her legs hanging off the back of the chair.

"You wouldn't listen any other way. Ever since that guy came to North Grey High you've been avoiding us. Did we do anything? Or do you just find him better company?" Violet asked.

I looked up into her chocolatey brown eyes and I realized how much I actually hurt her.

"It's not like that. Violet, it's so hard to explain and even if I did, you'd all be in so much of danger and I wouldn't risk the lives of my friends for anything," I said honestly.

Violet groaned and rested her head against the chair.

"Riley, we're your friends. No matter how much danger we'll get ourselves into, we'll always be there for you," she said softly.

I turned my head down so that I was staring at my lap instead of at Violet, whose puppy dog eyes could make anyone cave in.

The sound of a door opening made both of our heads shoot up. Ryder slipped into the room with a sheepish grin on his face.

Violet and I stared at him as he walked down the stairs and towards us.

"Violet, can I speak to Riley?" Ryder asked.

"Sure," Violet said, swinging her legs back around the chair and getting up.

"Can someone untie me now? I promise I won't run away," I said, letting out an awkward laugh.

Violet laughed along with me, lifting some of the tension from the room. She went behind me and started fidgeting with the rope around my wrists. Once I felt them loosen, I twisted my wrists and the ropes fell to the floor.

"Sorry about the whole kidnapping situation," Violet said.

"Don't worry about it, just don't do it again," I warned.

Violet giggled and nodded before exiting the room, leaving me and Ryder alone.

"Riley, if you started avoiding us because of what I said last week then I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you, or make you feel bad. I didn't know I had that effect on you," Ryder said.

Oh you have no idea.

I stared into Ryder's sincere grey eyes and didn't find a single trace of dishonesty. I didn't think he was lying either because throughout his apology, he never once averted his eyes from mine.

"Ryder, it's not you or Violet, or anyone. It's just...so complicated," I mumbled.

Ryder gave me a half hearted smile.

"I know the feeling. It's that feeling where you want to be with person so badly, but you're just so scared that you might hurt them or be the reason they get hurt. Am I right?" Ryder asked, raising his eyebrow.

I stared at him with my mouth agape.

"How did you know?" I asked, still in shock that Ryder hit the nail right on the head.

Ryder laughed at my expression.

"I missed you Carter. My life is pretty boring without someone like you to annoy me," Ryder said playfully.

I grinned at him, the first time I actually grinned in a whole week.

"Yeah, I do make your life pretty interesting being a walking disaster and all," I said smugly.

Ryder rolled his eyes at me, and that's when I realized how much I had missed him too. I had missed our playful banter and continuous arguments but most importantly, I had missed everything he made me feel when we were near.

The basement door opened again, and in walked Kyle who was grinning at Ryder and I.

"He's here," Kyle said.

He?

I looked confusedly between Ryder and Kyle, hoping one of them would clear my confusion.

"He?" I asked.

"You seem to have forgotten that Ryder has eyes and ears everywhere. Basically he could walk up to anyone in North Grey High and demand their address and they'd give it, advantages of ruling the school," Kyle said with a smirk on his face, "so one of the guys on the football team told Ryder they overheard you and Brandon talking about some deal."

"It didn't take us long to figure out that Brandon must be blackmailing you, and you wouldn't tell us if we got involved. Violet got ahold of someone who might be able to help," Ryder completed.

I looked between Ryder and Kyle, shocked at how close everyone had come to finding out the truth about me.

I wished I felt even a sliver of hope, but I didn't because I knew no one was a match for Brandon.

It was hopeless.

"I appreciate it Ryder, but I don't think you can help me," I said.

Ryder opened his mouth to respond to me, but was cut off by the sound of someone coming down the basement steps.

My mouth fell open once I saw who it was, and I couldn't help feeling like this was some trap.

"Trevor?"

Yeah...I'm dead.

•••••
I highly recommend you listen to the song in the beginning of the chapter, it basically sums up Brandon and Riley's relationship before she moved to Grey's Town : )
Thank you for reading my chapter! : )
-Grayx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

896K 19.6K 63
COMPLETED NOT EDITED Elly isn't shy. She is smart, troublesome and loud, but a good way. She's basically a tomboy, loves playing spor...
17.4K 160 50
Αιlαɴα Нαrrιѕoɴ ιѕ α нαvιɴɢ тнe тιмe oғ нer ѕlυммιɴɢ ιт wιтн нer вeѕт ғrιeɴdѕ reαlιzιɴɢ ѕнe мαy вe ғαllιɴɢ ғor oɴe oғ тнeм. Αιlαɴα ιѕ αғrαιd тo ѕнe'l...
16.8M 648K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
52.5K 1K 14
Training. That's every thing that's on Sasuke's mind before.. his little kitsune asked him to go to a waterpark with him and his friends. What will h...