Hard to Find

By annasteffey

[FREE Novel with PAID bonus content] After an awful night out, social worker-Skylar Leighton-believes her lif... More

♡ Authors Note ♡
Epigraph
Chapter One - Blondie
Chapter Two - No Strings Attached
Chapter Three - Friends
Chapter Four - Realizations
Chapter Five - Groundhog Day
Chapter Six - Alone
Chapter Seven - One Shot too Many
Chapter Eight - She
Chapter Nine - Peace Offerings
Chapter Ten - True Colors
Chapter Eleven - Forgiving
Chapter Twelve - One Step at a Time
Chapter Thirteen - Deals
Chapter Fourteen - Tidal Wave
Chapter Fifteen - Business
Chapter Sixteen - Signs
Chapter Seventeen - Loveless
Chapter Eighteen - Hallucinate
Chapter Nineteen - Phone Calls
Chapter Twenty - Nobody Knows
Chapter Twenty Two- Hidden Objects
Chapter Twenty Three - We meet again
Chapter Twenty Four - Are you Ready
Chapter Twenty Five - Memories
Chapter Twenty Six - Lies
Chapter Twenty Seven - Ms. Leighton
Chapter Twenty Eight - Just Breathe
Chapter Twenty Nine - Perspective
Chapter Thirty - Let Down
Chapter Thirty One - Silver Lining
Chapter Thirty Two - Listen To The One Who Loves You
Chapter Thirty Three - Beginning of the End
Chapter Thirty Four - The Parnell's
Chapter Thirty Five - Photos
Chapter Thirty Six - This Feeling
Chapter Thirty Seven - Bittersweet Silence
Chapter Thirty Eight - Hard To Find
Epilogue
♡Ending Authors Note♡
Bonus: The Engagement

Chapter Twenty One - Letters

17.5K 936 74
By annasteffey

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t w e n t y  o n e

{Letters}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

We left Virginia early since there was nothing left to do. We could've stayed an extra day, but adult duties called and we had to get back to work. I also talked Jayden out of visiting Ellie's grandparents. He wanted to give them a piece of his mind; I said that wasn't the brightest idea. Instead, we sent them a well-written, informative letter which read:

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Leeman,

My deepest condolences about Olivia. I cannot imagine how much you both are grieving. I wish I could've said goodbye or at least came to the funeral to share my utmost sympathy. She was a beautiful soul. From the moment I met her, my life changed drastically. But like you and my parents always said, "You two won't last, it means nothing, you are just children." And you're right, it didn't last, but that was because of you. I can't remember the last time I saw her, it's been quite some time. Almost eight years? That sounds about right because I just found out we have a seven and a half-year-old daughter. A daughter I never had a chance to meet, love, cherish, and watch grow because of you both. I will be sending more information regarding my child, your granddaughter, soon to get her back. In the meantime, I will be filing a lawsuit since I was never informed about my daughter. Although, it is your decision if you are willing to participate in helping get her back. If you are, please contact me with the information attached below, if not I will see you in court.

Again, my deepest condolences about Olivia,

Jayden Mitchell Brant

After Jayden wrote it and I read it over, we put it in the Leeman's mailbox. He also made phone calls and set up appointments to start the paperwork and the lawsuit process. We didn't talk about the content of the letter, but now I know about Olivia Leeman, Jayden's first love.

I'm assuming their parents didn't approve of the relationship, which ultimately led to their separation. Everything else, including her pregnancy and death, has me clueless. And I'm not sure when is the right time to ask about it.

When I get home, I shower and text Marlee to meet me in Central Park. I need someone to talk to about this entire situation and validate my feelings: the sex, his secret child, our relationship... I know she won't tell anyone, so Jayden's secret is safe.

After spilling my guts, she looks at me with wide eyes and asks quietly, "He's the father?"

"Yes, and I found out trying to call Noah. Someone random answered because had a random phone number as his contact."

She sips her tea. "Oh, Sky, that's a little messed up."

I shrug my shoulders. "A little, but I understand why. He just found out about his child and I'm only the second person he told. He also didn't tell me willingly."

She stares as if she has something to say, but swallows it away. My sister is the most protective person I know since she practically raised me. Most of the time we gossip like sisters, other times she scolds like our mother. This could be one of those times, but she refrains.

"I just want you to make good decisions."

"Out of all the vanilla, unproblematic boys that I could've had, I picked Jayden." I sigh dramatically, leaning back onto the park bench which causes her to laugh.

"You've never done well with vanilla, Sky. You need someone like Jayden."

I look at her with a wry smile. "So you approve?"

"I never said I didn't approve. He has manners, Dylan has nothing but kind things to say about him, and he seems to treat you well. Aside from how you two met." We both chuckle at the thought, even though I know his reasoning for leaving me that night. "I just want you to be smart, which I know you are. Things may get messy, especially if the hearing doesn't go Jayden's way. I don't want you stuck in his turmoil."

I stare up at the swaying trees while the cool but comfortable breeze dances on my uncovered skin. She is right; I don't know how he will react. As much as I think I know Jayden, I truly don't know him. I guess that will come with time. But it's the stuff he can tell me I want to know: his childhood, his family and sister, how he has a kid, his hobbies...

I think back to what he said, how I am ruining him in every good way possible. I don't think he knows he is doing the same thing to me. I have never been so scared of committing to someone while wanting to give them everything.

And I want to give Jayden everything.

I sit up, place my hand on my sister's stomach, and lean in to whisper. "We won't let you go through boy troubles like this."

Marlee laughs and pats her bump, "If it's a she or a he, they won't be allowed to date until they're eighteen."

"What? No, there is no fun in that!"

"Oh no, no, no. They are not acting the way you did with boys." Her eyes are wide with fear as she shakes her head. But then she slowly looks down and her mouth droops. "I wish they could stay in there forever, where they're safe."

"I know, but they don't know what kind of family they are being born into. They will be one hundred times safer than you think."

And then I think about Ellie, and how unfortunate it has been for her.

***

The next day at work, I walk into my office with the biggest smile. Jayden sent another bouquet with a note explaining how much he misses me. I don't understand how he has time to send them, but the gesture warms my heart. I particularly like how he still signs them with a 'B' for Blondie.

It's only been a day since we've seen each other and I already feel slightly empty. I don't want to become too attached because codependent relationships don't work with me. Then again, seeing him every day wouldn't be a problem.

A coworker I've never seen before knocks on my office door. "Hey, you've got a real admirer there." She nods toward the bouquet, her curly black hair moves with her.

"Yeah, they're from my..." I pause, not knowing what I should call him. "Boyfriend?"

"Is it complicated?"

"Kinda'." I shrug, chuckling. "I'm sorry I didn't get your name..."

"Oh! I'm Anaya, I started working here last week." She extends her hand, revealing her perfectly manicured nails. I envy how well put together she is, she's gorgeous.

"I'm Skylar, it's nice to meet you. How are you liking it here so far?" I invite her to sit on the couch. I don't think I have ever invited a coworker to sit with me, which is sad. But it's time to change, and Anaya seems like a good start.

"Good, actually. I wanted to introduce myself because the word around here is you're the best."

I raise my eyebrows in complete surprise. "People said that?"

"Yes, you never lose clients, you know how to handle them, and you're amazing with kids." I stare in disbelief. I thought I was a fly on the wall. The only person I talk to is my boss and even those conversations are superficial.

"Wow, I'm not much of a talker around here, so I'm surprised they had such nice things to say."

Her smile only rises halfway. "They said that also."

"Well, if you ever need anything I'm here. I'd love to keep talking, but I have a client coming in soon so I have to get some work done."

She stands abruptly, thanking me, and walks to the door. I feel bad for kicking her out so soon, so I call out her name. "Would you wanna come out for coffee with me and my friend Raven sometime?"

This time her smile reaches her eyes. "I'd really like that, thank you."

When she leaves, I sit down at my desk and start my day. 

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Guys I committed to college and found a roommate... i'm so excited. Nursing school here I come!

QOTD: What grade are you in? (if you're comfortable answering.)

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading, xoxo Anna :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 54.5K 48
Nicola and Gabriel used to be best friends while growing up, but she had made the classic mistake of falling in love with him, which resulted in not...
309K 327 41
Ellie Mattice is offered the opportunity of a lifetime when she gets accepted as an international student at a leading performing arts school in Lond...
4.2K 244 80
With Grayson's sudden absence from her life, Mia tries her hardest to carry on as normal; to continue as though she had never met the man who turned...