The Reason Why

By melxfairchild

''A song can heal and speak when there are no words to say.'' This is the story behind the famous country mus... More

Chapter 1: Don't Waste My Time
Chapter 2: Everything Changes
Chapter 3: Kiss Goodbye
Chapter 4: Tryin'
Chapter 5: Good As Gone
Chapter 6: Never Felt Love
Chapter 7: Little White Church
Chapter 8: Somewhere Far Away
Chapter 10: Evangeline
Chapter 11: Front Porch Thing part 1
Chapter 12: Front Porch Thing part 2
Chapter 13: Mean Streak
Chapter 14: You're Gonna Love Me
Chapter 15: Bones
Chapter 16: Live With Lonesome part 1
Chapter 17: Live With Lonesome part 2
Chapter 18: A Place To Land
Chapter 19: From This Dream
Chapter 20: Runaway Train
Chapter 21: Girl Crush part 1
Chapter 22, Girl Crush part 2
Chapter 23: Quit Breaking Up With Me
Chapter 24: Live Forever

Chapter 9: You Can't Have Everything

629 5 0
By melxfairchild

2007

 ‘’Here I am again.’’ Kimberly cowers. ‘’I know I need to stop with coming here. Not only for you, but also for myself.’’ A tear streams down her face. ‘’But today’s special. It’s been… it’s been two years since you left me.’’ Kimberly can remember the phone call she got from the hospital. ‘’and I miss you so much.’’ She starts to cry. ‘’and that I met someone else doesn’t mean I forgot you, I don’t. I wish you could meet Daisy Pearl.’’ She smiles when she said her baby girl’s name. ‘’she’s so sweet. But I do realize if you were still here I didn’t had her.’’ She sighs. ‘’things went different, don’t you think?’’ Kimberly looks up  and closes her eyes. She starts to think about the day she met Steven. No, I met him because of Karen, she thinks. Karen. She remembers the day they met as it was yesterday. Kimberly’s sorority had a lot of parties at the ADPi-house, Karen’s sorority. She liked to hang out there because it was close to the lake. That night she sat on a bench, outside, starring at the lake, as she always did when she was there.
‘’I hate him!’’ Karen yelled. She didn’t noticed Kimberly. She looked up. ‘’Oh, sorry. It wasn’t meant for you.’’
‘’It’s okay.’’ Kimberly smiled.
‘’May I ask you what you’re doing here?’’
‘’I just like the lake. Can’t I be here?’’ Kimberly felt stupid.
‘’Of course you can.’’ Karen joined Kimberly on the bench. ‘’I like the lake too. Sorry for that.’’
‘’It’s alright. Are you okay? You sounded a bit sad.’’
Karen sighed. ‘’It’s Shelton, my boyfriend. He can be so childish like… ugh!’’
Kimberly knew Shelton. Not that they talked to each other or something, Shelton was popular, like Karen. Kimberly had a lot of friends too but she wasn’t really popular.
‘’Ahw, I’m sorry for you.’’ Kimberly put her hand on Karen’s shoulder.
‘’You don’t have to be sorry.’’ Karen said. ‘’I’m thinking about to break up with him, anyway.’’
What?! Did Karen just told her one of her secrets. This night started to be more interesting. Wow.
‘’Forget this. I don’t think we’ve met before.’’ Karen sticked her hand out to Kimberly. ‘’I’m Karen Fairchild.’’ Kimberly shook Karen’s hand.
‘’Kimberly Roads. But people call me Kim. We have Maths together. And other stuff…’’  
‘’Yeah, Maths! I hate that. I really suck at it.’’
‘’Really?’’ Kimberly asked. Karen nodded. ‘’I can help you. If you want.’’
Karen looked up. ‘’Really? That would be amazing!’’
‘’Just ask me when you need me.’’
‘’Can you help me with the exam for next week?’’
‘’Sure, whenever you want.’’
‘’How about tomorrow. At my place. I stay here at the ADPi-house.’’
‘’Okay, at 2pm?’’
‘’Sounds like a date for me.’’ The girls smiled to each other.

Kimberly had never seen the ADPi-house by day from the inside. It’s huge, but pretty. Karen’s room was upstairs. She knocked on the door, which was open.
‘’It’s me Kimberly.’’ She said.
‘’Kimberly! Come in.’’ she heard Karen’s voice. Kimberly walked into the room, she was surprised how big it was. Karen sat on her bed and was doing the hair of another girl.
‘’Hi, I’m Kandee Alison.’’ She said.
‘’ Kimberly Roads.’’ Kimberly replied.
‘’I know you. You’re the girl with the amazing hair!’’ Wait, some of the popular girls know my name, she thought. That’s new for me.
‘’My hair? I hate it! I would like to have your hair. Just straight.’’
‘’Oooh, can we place switch? I’m in love with your curls!’’ Kandee shouted.
‘’We all are.’’ Karen said and she winked to Kimberly. ‘’We do talk a lot about your hair.’’
‘’Only positive things.’’ Kandee said. Really? Did these girls really talked about my messy hair? Kimberly thought.
‘’Yes, the whole ADPi-house would commit a crime only to have your hair.’’ Karen said.
‘’Really? Ahw, thank you.’’
‘’Done.’’ Karen said to Kandee, who stood up and walked to the mirror.
‘’Wow, I love it! Thanks Karen!’’ Kandee hugged Karen.
‘’Where’s you’re going to?’’ Kimberly asked.
‘’I have a date.’’ Kandee started to giggle.
‘’Really with who?’’
‘’With…’’ Kandee made a little scream. ‘’Jason Caroll!’’ Kandee and Karen shouted at the same time. The three girls started to scream.
‘’Really, wow! He’s like the most handsome person I’ve ever seen!’’ Kimberly shouted.
‘’Don’t take my man, Kim!’’ Kandee said. They all laughed. ‘’But I’m leaving, adios!’’
‘’Oh, if there comes an awkward silence, you need to ask him about this favorite band. That always works.’’ Kimberly said.
‘’Really? Awesome! Thanks a lot!’’ Kandee ran to Kimberly and hugged her like they knew each other for ages.
A popular girl just hugged me? What’s going on with my life? Kimberly thought. I guess God is blessing me. She looked up. Thanks.
‘’Alright, Math.’’ Karen grabbed her books. ‘’Come, lay next to me. Or do you want to sit?’’
‘’No, this is okay.’’ Kimberly laid next to Karen, it felt a kind of awkward.
‘’Just asking. I always do my homework on my bed but I don’t know how it’s possible but I can only make English when I sit.’’ The girls had to giggle.
‘’That’s a bit strange, yes.’’ Kimberly said.
After an hour Karen threw her books on the floor. ‘’I hate this.’’ She said. ‘’I’m done for today.’’
‘’Yes, sure. But do you get it?’’
‘’Yes, I finally do! You’re the best teacher.’’ Karen hugged Kimberly. ‘’Thanks.’’
And again a popular girl hugs me, Kimberly thought, life if good.
‘’Shall, we continue tomorrow?’’
‘’sure, how about my place? It’s not as big as this but I do have a radio.’’
‘’I’d love to. Is your dorm at the begin of the campus or at the end?’’
‘’North.’’
‘’Ah, that are the best ones! Do you want  something to drink? No, I have an idea. Let’s eat downtown. I know a nice place.’’
Kimberly scratched herself. Is this real?!

Karen was finding her way to Kimberly’s dorm. She had a dorm when she was a freshman but now she’s staying at the ADPi-house she can’t really use to the messy halls. At the end of the hall there was an open door and Karen heard a cute singing voice through the hall. It was a damn good voice.
Is that Kimberly? Karen thought.
She tip-toed to the end of the hall and stopped right behind the door. She looked into Kimberly’s room. Yes, it was her. She was singing while she was playing the guitar. Karen closed her eyes,
Kimberly’s voice is just perfect.
Then her bag fell on the floor.
‘’Oh! Karen is that you?’’ Kimberly yelled.
Karen walked into the room. ‘’Yes. I actually wanted to stand there for a while, Jesus I love your voice! Can you sing again?’’
Kimberly was sobbing. She was really scared to sing for others. She already felt awkward because Karen heard her voice. She wants to sing for Karen, but also not. What if it’s bad? But if I don’t, maybe she doesn’t like me anymore. Kimberly was stressing.
‘’You don’t have to be scared. I can sing with you.’’ Karen smiled. ‘’what kind of music do you like?’’
‘’Country…’’ Kimberly whispered. Not a lot of people at their school liked that kind of genre.
‘’Really?! Me too!’’
‘’Really? I thought you liked… you know other music. Not a lot of people here like country.’’
‘’don’t be ashamed, I’m born and raised in the boondocks, with country music. I’m a fan of Dolly Parton.’’
‘’Me too!’’
‘’Your voice sounds a bit like her.’’ Karen smiled.
‘’Are you serious? That’s the biggest compliment I’ve ever had. Come, sit next to me. Or lay.’’ The girls had to laugh. Karen walked to Kimberly’s bed.
‘’But I still want to sing with you. How about Jolene?’’
‘’Okay.’’ Kimberly started to play the right chords and Karen started to sing. Kimberly was amazed by her voice. It was so peaceful. She knew Karen was a part of the Samford Singers. Very softly Kimberly started to sing with her.
‘’Don’t be nervous, enjoy.’’ Karen said. The repeated the song. ‘’That was amazing!’’ Karen shouted. ‘’Ever thought about joining the Samford Singers? We do sing country too.’’
What? Karen invite me for THE singing group of the whole school? With all the popular people? My life is seriously getting better, Kimberly thought.
‘’I thought… it was only for the popular people.’’
‘’What are you talking about? Of course not. Nobody’s popular in my eyes. No one is better than someone else. I hate all those labels! Never feel like someone else better than you.’’
‘’Yeah… you’re right I guess.’’
‘’honey, believe me. I am. And I really want you to join the group. Don’t feel less than them, they are very sweet, no bitches. Just come with me tomorrow, okay?’’
Kimberly nodded.
‘’Great!’’ Karen shouted. ‘’Where are you in the breaks, by the way?’’
‘’Eh, at the fountain at the begin of the campus.’’
‘’I stay at the lake. Do you want to sit with us today? Believe me, all the girls like you. Also the boys.’’ Karen smiled.
‘’I’d love to.’’
Thank you God for blessing me. I’d never do anything wrong in life anymore. Kimberly thought.
‘’And feel free the bring your friends with you.’’ Karen hugged Kimberly.

Karen grabbed Kimberly’s hand. ‘’Hey, y’all. This is Kimberly Roads and she might join us.’’ Karen said. Kimberly stood behind Karen and waved very shy. She felt awkward.
‘’Hi Kimberly.’’ Some people said.
‘’As you can see it’s a big group, but it’s pretty fun.’’ Karen said to Kimberly. ‘’And no worries, they all will be kind to you, and if they are not just come to me.’’}
‘’Are you their leader, or something?’’ Kimberly asked.
‘’No, I just hate bullying.’’
‘’I know, it’s horrible. My niece got bullied, she still get. But I don’t understand, she is super nice. Nowadays people are so weird.’’
‘’I know. On elementary school some people laughed at me…’’ Karen whispered.
What? Is she kidding? Kimberly thought. I can’t believe someone would dislike Karen. ‘’How did it end?’’
‘’Good. I had a huge fight. One ended up in hospital. My big brother learned me that. Since then everybody’s always been nice to me.’’ A little smile showed up on her face.
‘’That’s good.’’ Kimberly had to think about a little Karen who was fighting. She had to laugh about it.
‘’Why are you laughing? Are you imagine a mini me who’s fighting against those big kids?’’ Karen asked.
‘’To be honest, yes. How do you know?’’ Kimberly was wondering if Karen could read her mind. Test, test. Hello Karen?
‘’That’s a secret.’’ Karen smiled and walked to the group.
At the end of the repetition the group welcomed Kimberly, they all loved her voice. Now they were hanging out at the pizza place near the campus. Karen was busy with talking to as much people as possible while Kimberly was talking to a boy named Alex.
‘’So this is the whole group?’’ Kimberly asked.
‘’Yes, well, no. One person’s missing. Steven. Do you know him?’’ Alex said.
‘’No.’’
‘’He had an extra lesson, to me he said he would come here after it.’’ He looked around. ‘’Oh, look! There he is.’’ Kimberly turned around. She saw a tall boy with brown hair and ice blue eyes. While she was checking him out he walked to their table. She didn’t heard what he was saying.
‘’Hello?’’ He hit playful on her shoulder. ‘’Something’s wrong?’’
Kimberly looked up and started to blush. ‘’What? Eh, no I was just looking at your shoes. I like them… for a boy.’’ Kimberly wished she could disappear. This was an awkward situation.
‘’Steven, this is my best friend Kimberly. She’s new.’’ Karen said. She must have noticed the awkward situation.
Two things came into Kimberly’s mind. Damn, Steven is hot and oh my gosh and did I heard it right, did Karen just called me her best friend?!
Steven took a seat  next to Kimberly.
‘’Hi, Kim.’’ He said. ‘’if I can call you like that.’’
‘’You sure can. You can call me whatever you want.’’ Oh gussie. ‘’I mean, not whatever you want. I just… never mind forget this I don’t feel well.’’ She had to blush.
‘’Don’t be shy.’’ He smiled. ‘’your word struggles are cute.’’ He put his arm around her. While Kimberly was dying from the inside someone shouted: ‘’hey Steven, new girlfriend?’’. Karen threw a napkin to the boy.
‘’Shut up.’’ She said.
At 7 Kimberly and Karen walked back to campus.
‘’You and Steven definitely need to date.’’ Karen said.
‘’What?’’ Kimberly had to giggle.
‘’Ah, come on. You where checking him out for the whole time, and believe me, he did the same.’’
‘’What, really?’’
‘’Yes, I have his phone number, call him tonight.’’
Kimberly had to sigh.
‘’Okay, I’ll do it for you.’’ They smiled to each other.
‘’Karen?’’ Kimberly said after a while.
‘’Yes?’’ she looked up to Kimberly.
‘’Did you really meant it when you called me your best friend?’’
Karen started to nod. ‘’Yes. It might sound weird, but I have a kind of feeling that we will still see each other when we are forty. But if you don’t want that just say it. Do you have a best friend?’’
‘’Beside my mother, no.’’ the girls had to laugh.
‘’Good. Me neither.’’
‘’What? What about Kandee? And all the girls in the ADPi-house. And all the people you hang out with in the breaks? You’ve told me their names for like a thirty times but I still can’t remember all their names.’’
‘’They’re just good friends. I’m not really good at being friends. I’m… you know, a kind of mysterious.’’ She had to laugh.
That was true. Sometimes Karen just had a look, that look, and Kimberly was always wondering where she was thinking about. She also barley knew anything about Karen’s background, beside the boondocks, the bullies and her big brother. And also, earlier today about the imagine-thing. Kimberly was still wondering if Karen could really read her mind.
Back in Karen’s room, Karen was desperately searching for her notebook.
‘’I swear, Steven’s phone number is in it but I can’t find it!’’ She threw some books on the floor. ‘’It’s always lost!’’
The phone rang.
‘’Of course.’’ Karen sighed and let herself fell on her bed and grabbed the phone who laid on the table at the other side of the bed. ‘’Karen Fairchild.’’ She said.
Kimberly was wondering who called Karen and took a seat on one of the chairs.
‘’Oh hello Steven.’’ Karen said extra dramatic.
Kimberly understood her secret hind and jumped up. ‘’What.’’ She said without making any sound. Karen giggled quietly.
‘’If I have Kimberly’s number?’’ and again, when she said ‘Kimberly’ it was on a pretty dramatic way. Karen threw and notebook to Kimberly and pointed at a pencil on the table and gestured that Kimberly had to write her number down.
As fast as Kimberly could, she followed Karen’s instructions. Karen read it out loud.
‘’You can call her around 11pm, she’s with me now.’’ Karen waited some seconds. ‘’No, of course not. She’s downstairs. Okay, see you tomorrow.’’ She hung up the phone and the girls started to scream.
‘’Oh my God!’’ Kimberly shouted.
‘’I told you he liked you.’’ Karen smiled. ‘’Hey, shall we watch a movie together? We still have time until 11pm.’’

‘’Isn’t it a beautiful day today?’’ Steven asked.
Kimberly nodded. ‘’Yes, it is. I like spring, everything comes alive again. From being dead… you know, everything dies during fall and winter.’’ How stupid is this, Kimberly thought. She wished she could jump into the lake right now.
Steven had to laugh. ‘’Yep, same thing.’’ He said.
‘’Oh, Steven, I’m so sorry for my weird talky-thing. I’m just extremely nervous when I meet new people.’’ She turned to Steven.
‘’It’s okay.’’ He smiled. ‘’It’s actually cute.’’
Kimberly had to blush. ‘’Really?’’
‘’Yes, I’ve never heard someone saying ‘’talky-thing’’ before.’’ They had to laugh.
‘’Oh, gussie. So awkward.’’ Shit, did I said that out loud? Kimberly was asking herself.
‘’Oh gussie.’’ Steven repeated.
When Steven put his arm around her she was dying from the inside.
‘’So for how long do you know Karen? Not for long right?’’ Steven asked.
‘’No, for like a month.’’ Kimberly said.
‘’She’s really nice.’’
‘’She sure is.’’
‘’I like her hair color.’’
What the actual fuck is this, Kimberly thought. I’m here on a kind of date, not to talk about Karen. She immediately felt bad because she had sworn.
‘’But I prefer blonde.’’ Steven finished. ‘’Is this your real hair?’’
‘’Sadly, yes.’’ Kimberly felt a bit happier again.
‘’Well, you don’t sound really happy.’’
‘’Nope. I don’t really like my hair. It’s annoying. Some curls are not a big deal, but this… ugh! I wish I had straight hair, like everybody. Except Karen. I’d commit a crime to have her hair.’’
‘’I like your hair. It’s different, different than all those girls who are all the same.’’
Kimberly had to giggle. ‘’You’re welcome… I mean thank you.’’
This is awkward, she thought.
Steven had to laugh. ‘’Are you always nervous when you meet awesome new people?’’
‘’So you’re calling yourself awesome?’’
‘’Yup.’’
Kimberly had to giggle. ‘’You’re hilarious.’’
‘’You’re cute.’’
‘’You’re lying.’’
‘’You’re wrong.’’ And Steven kissed Kimberly.

When Steven brought Kimberly back to her dorm room she was on cloud nine. She took a quick shower and rushed to the ADPi-house. She run upstairs and knocked on Karen’s door, who was closed. She had never seen Karen’s room door closed. A weird feeling came up for a second.
‘’Karen! Karen!’’ she yelled and knocked on the door. She opened it slowly and walked into Karen’s room. It was dark and Karen was laying in her bed with her pillow on her head.
Do I hear it right? Kimberly was asking herself.
She closed to door and walked closer to the bed. ‘’Karen?’’ she whispered.
She saw that she was right. Karen was crying in her bed.
‘’Oh, Karen!’’ Kimberly ran to Karen’s bed, and took a seat on it. She removed the pillow of Karen’s head. Her hair was a mess and her make up was everywhere, but not where it belong. ‘’What’s wrong sweetie?’’
Karen hugged Kimberly.
‘’I… I broke up with Shelton.’’ She said.
‘’What?!’’ Kimberly was shocked. Although she knew Karen wanted to break up with him.
‘’I told him, this afternoon. I… I don’t know… you’re probably thinking ‘why the heck is she crying she’s the one who broke up’ but…’’ Karen was talking that fast that Kimberly barley could hear what she was saying.
‘’I just don’t know.’’ Karen buried her face into Kimberly’s hair and cried for ten minutes. Kimberly just sat there and listened to all the dirty words Karen was saying.
‘’I’m fine again, thanks.’’ Karen let Kimberly go. ‘’Sorry for the bad words.’’
‘’It’s totally fine.’’ Kimberly said. ‘’You’re welcome. And also thank you for the new hair color, your mascara looks really good in my hair.’’ They had to giggle.
‘’Ah, I’m so sorry. Let me fix it.’’ Karen stood up and grabbed her hair brush. ‘’Oh shit! I totally forgot about Steven and you! How was it? Sorry, I’m just a horrible friend. Selfish though.’’
‘’Don’t say things which are not true. It’s totally fine, silly.’’ Kimberly said. ‘’But we have a thing.’’
Karen started to scream.
‘’Although, I think so. We kissed and he told me that I’m cute. Twice.’’ Kimberly giggled.
Karen started to scream louder. She ran to Kimberly and hugged her. ‘’My day is totally made again! This is perfect news! I know a lot of girls have a little crush on him. I bet they all are really jealous at you.’’
Kimberly looked shocked. ‘’You mean they all will hate me?’’ she asked.
‘’What? No, no hate. I don’t know any bitches, remember?’’
‘’Nope, you only know the popular kids.’’
‘’Honey.’’ Karen took a seat next to Kimberly. ‘’Stop thinking so low about yourself. I’m not popular, no one is. I told you I hate all those labels. The only labels I like are the orange stickers on price tags who say: ‘50% off’.’’ The girls had to laugh.
‘’You must be right.’’ Kimberly said.
‘’And if I’m popular, then you are popular too.’’ Karen said.
‘’Dinner’s ready.’’ Kandee walked into the room. ‘’Oh hey, Kim! Are you eating with us?’’
‘’Sure why not?’’ the three girls walked downstairs.

‘’It’s freaking 1am and I need to find all my way back to my freakin’ dorm.’’ Kimberly looked out of the window. She hung around with the ADPi-girls for too long. ‘’It’s so dark and almost everyone is asleep. It’s so scary!’’
‘’shall I walk with you?’’ Karen asked.
‘’No, then you need to walk back all by your own.’’
‘’Why don’t you stay here? We never had a sleepover. You can borrow some clothes from me tomorrow, I think we have the same size.’’
‘’But how about my books?’’
‘’We have that math test tomorrow from 10am until 12am and the next lesson start at 1 so then you have enough time to get your books.’’
‘’True that. Okay I stay!’’ Kimberly was relieved that she didn’t had to walk back to her dorm.
‘’there’s just one problem…’’ Karen said.
‘’What?’’
‘’I only have one bed. But it’s big enough for the two of us.’’
‘’As long as you don’t touch me it’s fine with me.’’
‘’I can’t promise you anything, I’m single again.’’ Karen winked. The girls had to laugh.

Kimberly woke up first. Karen’s head laid on her shoulder.
Are you freaking kidding me? She was thinking. Yep, I’m right.
‘’Karen! Get your hand off of my butt!’’ Kimberly yelled word by word.
Karen woke up. ‘’Huh what?’’ she sounded confused.
‘’If you can get your hand off of my butt!’’ Kimberly repeated.
Karen looked shocked. ‘’Oh my gosh!’’ she screamed. ‘’Kimberly! I’m so sorry!’’
Kimberly started to laugh out loud.
‘’Shelton and I always laid like that when we slept together… but oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!’’ She started to scream of laughter. Kimberly started to cry.
‘’You made me cry!’’ Kimberly laughed.
‘’I’m so sorry.’’ Karen laughed and got tears in her eyes too. She put her arm on Kimberly’s shoulder.
‘’Aw, I feel dirty! It’s like your raped me!’’ Kimberly yelled. ‘’Don’t touch me.’’ She hit Karen’s hand playfully off of her shoulder.
Karen buried her face into her pillow. ‘’I… I just can’t.’’ Kimberly heard she was barley breathing because of laughter.
After ten minutes the fun was over.
‘’Ewww… Karen! Can I please take a shower here?’’ Kimberly got out of the bed.
‘’Sure, look into my closet, you can borrow everything. Towels are on the bottom.’’
Kimberly opened Karen’s closed and was surprised about the fact how many clothes Karen had.
‘’Did you robbed the mall or something?’’ Kimberly said and looked to Karen, she laid in bed again and put the blankets over her face.
Kimberly grabbed a pink vintage dress.
‘’Huh? Did you said something?’’ Karen looked up. ‘’Sorry, I’m still a bit tired. I going to take a short nap.’’
‘’Is there a lock on your bathroom door?’’ Kimberly asked.
‘’Yeah. Why?’’
‘’In case you sleepwalk.’’ Kimberly winked to Karen.
‘’Shut up.’’ Karen laughed and threw her hair brush to Kimberly.

Kimberly starts to laugh. ‘’That’s probably my favorite memory of Karen and me.’’ She looks up to see if someone was close to her. It would be pretty awkward if someone sees her talking to nothing actually. ‘’It would be pretty awkward if someone sees me right now.’’ She says out loud. ‘’For them I’m just talking to a stone, but actually I’m telling you my life.’’ Kimberly sits on a bench by Steven’s grave. ‘’Like a journal. While Karen is still writing all her adventures down in notebooks, I come here and visit you.’’ Kimberly looks into her bag and finds chocolate, she starts to eat it. ‘’Everything changed so fast. Karen met Mark, we got married, Karen and Mark got married, Mark introduced Jimi to use, he introduced Phillip to us.’’ Then Kimberly spits her chocolate out of her mouth. ‘’oh my God!’’ she shouts. ‘’Oh my God! Remember when we met Jimi for the first time? Karen changed so much since that! Not to me, I mean us, but to Mark. Before she was always showing her love for him and acting flirty when she was with him. She always laid her head on her shoulder when she was getting drunk, remember? And then he put his arm around her and went with his hand through her hair. They never did that again after she met Jimi. NEVER!’’ Kimberly feels like she’s a detective who just solved a case. ‘’That’s because of Jimi! That night she explained everything to me,  she said she had a thing for Jimi since the first time they met! That’s it!’’ Kimberly is yelling. She looks around, no one is walking around. Good.
‘’oh gosh! Do you remember?’’

‘’Open the wine!’’ Steven shouted.
‘’We’re actually waiting for some buddies of me.’’ Mark said.
‘’Oh yeah, you told that. I forgot it, sorry.’’
‘’Dude, you’re getting old, you forget everything.’’
At that moment the doorbell rang. Mark came back with three boys.
‘’Guys, meet Adam, Jimi and Nicholas.’’ Mark said. He turned to his friends. ‘’And these three old boring people are Steven, Kimberly and my wife Karen.’’
‘’Hey, we’re not old! We’re just too lazy to stand up.’’ Kimberly said. They had to laugh. Kimberly was surprised Karen didn’t said a thing yet while the boys came and was starring at Jimi for the whole time.
Jimi pushed Mark and Nicholas away and walked to Karen. ‘’This is for the one who needs to spend her whole life with Mark.’’ He gave a bottle of wine to Karen. ‘’I have so many respect for you.’’
‘’Ahw thank you!’’ Jimi and Karen had to laugh. Karen stood up. Kimberly could see that in less than five seconds Karen fixed her hair and dress.
Karen shook Jimi’s hand.
‘’Jimi Westbrook.’’ He said.
‘’Karen Fair… Childers.’’ She looked to Mark. ‘’Oops.’’ She said to him.
‘’Nice to meet you.’’ Jimi said. They were still shaking hands.
‘’Nice to meet you too.’’ Karen smiled to Jimi.
‘’You eh… can let me go.’’
Karen started to blush. ‘’Oh, sorry.’’ She let his hand go.
That night Karen was different, different than normally.
‘’Can I smoke somewhere?’’ Jimi asked.
‘’Yea, outside.’’ Mark answered. ‘’Dude, since when do you smoke?’’
‘’Since someone gave me this cigarette. I wanted to try it.’’
‘’You’re weird.’’
‘’Yeah, you too. That’s why we’re here.’’
‘’Hey! We are not all weird.’’ Kimberly shouted. They had to laugh.
Karen stood up. ‘’Shall I go with you?’’ she asked to Jimi. ‘’Otherwise it’s so boring alone.’’
‘’Sure, why not?’’ Jimi smiled to here.
In those years Kimberly found out that Karen can not read her mind but at this moment she wish Karen could. She seriously needs to stop flirting, Kimberly thought.
Outside it was pretty could. Karen was shaking.
‘’Are you cold?’’ Jimi asked.
‘’Yes. I forgot my coat. Stupid.’’ Karen giggled.
‘’Here.’’ Jimi took off his jacket and put it around Karen.
‘’Are you sure?’’
Jimi nodded.
‘’Ahw, thanks.’’
‘’Wanna try?’’ Jimi held the cigarette by Karen’s mouth. She shook her head.
‘’I don’t smoke.’’ She said and felt stupid. ‘’But I can try.’’
She grabbed the cigarette and after she took a breath she started to cough.
‘’He don’t shoke!’’ Jimi laughed.
Karen felt awkward. ‘’Like you can see I’m not that cool.’’
‘’It’s okay, you had to see me the first time I tried. I really choked. I fainted.’’
‘’Loser.’’ Karen whispered.
‘’What did you just said?’’ Jimi tried not to laugh.
‘’That you’re a loser.’’ Karen laughed and ran off the front porch. Jimi ran after her.
‘’Come back!’’ he shouted.
At that moment the others walked out.
‘’We want to see Jimi smoke!’’ Adam said. ‘’Hey, where are they?’’
At that moment Karen screamed and ran to the other side of the garden. Jimi ran after her. By the tree he got her.
‘’Gotcha!’’ he yelled. he stood behind her and grabbed her.
From Kimberly’s point it looked like they were hugging each other.
Oh Karen, she thought. She looked at Mark but couldn’t really see what he was thinking.
Karen closed her eyes and had to laugh. She grabbed Jimi’s hand.
‘’Now I got you too!’’ she shouted. She noticed Jimi didn’t react at her and looked up.
Shit, she thought. She saw the whole crowd was looking at her. She tried to look into Mark’s eyes but he looked away.
Jimi and Karen let each other go and walked back.
‘’Sorry.’’ Karen whispered and gave Jimi’s jacket back.
‘’I… eh, I think I’m going home. See y’all later.’’ Jimi said and left.
The boys went to the basement (a.k.a men’s cave) and left the girl behind in the living room.
‘’What the heck was that?’’ Kimberly asked. She felt ashamed of her friend and felt bad for Mark.
‘’I’m sorry. I don’t know. But I smoked, the first and last time.’’

‘’I never asked Karen what happened after we all left. You know, she and Mark probably had a fight. Back then I felt ashamed of Karen, for the first time in my life. I always looked up to her but this action was so childish. I know it sounds like she cheated on Mark, but… yeah, after she explained everything to me I can understand her. She’s a human too. I have to admit Mark was not always nice too but he was very sweet to her. But Jimi and Karen are just meant to be together.’’ Kimberly checks her phone. Still no messages.
That’s weird, she thought. I hope everything is alright.
‘’Gosh, I love all those memories.’’ She started to laugh. ‘’Remember when we met Phillip for the first time?’’

That night Jimi, Karen and Kimberly were bored. There was nothing cool on TV nor the radio and of playing endless poker games every night started to get pretty boring too. Mark was on tour for two months with the band he played  in and Steven was in Milwaukee for his job, Kimberly really missed him. Because both husbands were away Karen and Kimberly spent all their time together. At daytime they went to their jobs and in the evening they cooked at one of the houses and invited Jimi to come over. The three of them became pretty close.
‘’Okay, which one?’’ Jimi said. They stood outside the cinema looking for a movie to watch.
‘’How about Titanic? I heard good things about that.’’ Kimberly said.
‘’Is that a drama movie?’’ Karen asked.
‘’Yes, about the boat.’’
Karen sighed. ‘’Okay, only because I’m bored.’’
‘’Something wrong?’’ Jimi asked.
‘’Karen just hate drama’s and romantic movies.’’ Kimberly said and put her arm around Karen’s shoulder.
‘’I hate to see other people happy.’’ Karen said. They all had to laugh. ‘’Just kidding, but those movies are all the same. Girls are desperate for a men in their lives, they meet a guy, trouble trouble trouble, but you can actually expect that they end up together at the end. Boring!’’
‘’There was no trouble in your love life, right Kiki?’’ the three bought a ticket and went inside.
Karen nodded. ‘’Yup, the love of me life is right next to me.’’
Kimberly lifted up her eyebrow and looked at Jimi while he lifted up his eyebrow and looked at Kimberly.
Karen had to laugh. ‘’Look at yourself. But Jimi’s right, I love you Kimberly.’’ Karen hugged her.
‘’I love you too my dearest friend. I’m sorry to share this with you but I don’t have a crush on you.’’ Kimberly acted serious.
‘’Ah damn.’’ The three had to laugh.

‘’Kimberly, get off of me!’’ Jimi pushed Kimberly’s head of his shoulder. Kimberly put her head on Karen’s shoulder but got crazy of it. She looked at Karen, she’s been crying since the movie started.
‘’Karen, every time a tear streams down your face, your shoulders go up and down it’s annoying! I just want to sleep.’’ Kimberly complained.
Although it was her idea to see this movie she didn’t liked it at all. Jimi was like obsessed with Kate Winslet’s character and Karen couldn’t stop crying. The opposite of everything.
After the movie finished the lights got on.
‘’Finally, lights. Sorry guys but this movie was probably the biggest mistake of my life.’’ Kimberly stood up.
‘’Ah, it was like I was on that boat.’’ Jimi said.
‘’Happily you didn’t died.’’
‘’Jesus Christ, I cried for three damn hours. I have no tears left.’’ Karen’s eyes were totally read.
‘’Ahw poor Kiki.’’
‘’I probably can’t cry ever again in my life.’’ They had to laugh.
‘’Hey, did y’all noticed that boy before us. He was crying the whole time too.’’ Kimberly had to giggle.
‘’No, who?’’ Karen looked around.
‘’He!’’ Kimberly pointed to a blonde guy.
‘’That’s Phillip!’’ Jimi shouted.
‘’Who?’’ the girls said at the same time.
‘’Phillip Sweet. His mother is a friend of mine.
‘’Sweet? He must be very sweet than if he cried the whole movie too.’’ Karen said.
‘’Don’t act like that, Karen, be glad you were not the only softie in this crowd.’’
Karen pushed Jimi. ‘’Shut up, loser.’’ She said. Since that night she started to call him ‘loser’.
‘’Ha ha.’’ He said to Karen and turned to Phillip. ‘’Yo Phillip!’’
Phillip looked up. ‘’Jimi Westbrook? Hey bro!’’ he walked to them. ‘’How are you?’’
‘’Good, good. Just watching a girls movie with these two.’’
‘’He liked it the most of us all.’’ Kimberly showed up behind Jimi’s back. ‘’Kimberly Roads.’’
‘’Phillip Sweet. Nice to meet you.’’
‘’Nice to meet you too.’’
‘’And you are?’’ he asked Karen.
She looked up, she avoiding Phillip because she didn’t wanted that he saw that she cried, but when she looked into his eyes she saw his eyes were red too.
‘’I’m Karen Childers.’’ She smiled.
‘’I see you cried too.’’
Karen had to laugh. ‘’Yep, the whole damn movie. I have no tears left!’’
‘’Are you here with friends?’’ Jimi asked.
‘’Eh, no. No one wanted to see the movie with me.’’ Phillip started to blush. Kimberly turned her back to him and started to laugh, she didn’t wanted to laugh in his face.
‘’Why don’t you come with us?’’ Karen asked. ‘’We were thinking about drinking something downtown.’’
‘’Sure, why not?’’ Phillip said.

‘’That night we found our passion for music.’’ Kimberly says. ‘’Phillip likes country music too, like us. Jimi’s from Alabama, like Phillip and me. Only Karen is from Indiana. Why Indiana? Right. She moved three states to the south to study. It must be a sign from God to bring her into my life, who else would move three states away from her family? Only if you want to become an actress or something, which she didn’t. I’m amazed by that every time I think about it. But yeah, Jimi did likes country music too and we started to sing and jam on our guitars. Because of Jimi and Phillip I never used my guitar again. I have no idea how to play it anymore, to be honest, but my guitar is still somewhere. I need to find it, I remember when I graduated all my friends wrote sweet things on it.’’ Kimberly smiles by that thought. ‘’And suddenly we became serious, it was like 1999 if I remember it good. And then you were totally excited and you became our band lawyer and the rest is known. I miss the times when we were playing at those little country fairs, touring through the States in our little van.’’
Kimberly’s phone starts to ring.
‘’Is there news?’’ Kimberly asked.
‘’Yeah, we’re going to the hospital right now.’’ It’s Karen’s voice.
‘’Where are you?’’
‘’In the park with Schlap and Daisy.’’
‘’Can you please bring Daisy to my mom? She’s staying at my home.’’
‘’Sure.’’
‘’Did you called Jimi?’’
‘’No, he called us. Do we need to pick you up?’’
‘’No, see you there.’’ 
Karen hangs up the phone.
‘’I need to go, duty calls.’’ Kimberly said to Steven’s grave. ‘’Our family’s getting bigger.’’ She smiles and walks away.

‘’Where are they?’’ Jimi asks.
‘’Don’t ask me, you were here before me.’’ Kimberly looks at her watch. 7pm.
‘’Oh, look there are they.’’ Jimi points to the elevator where Schlap and Karen walks out. ‘’finally.’’ He says to them. ‘’What where you doing upstairs? Did you came with the helicopter or something?’’
‘’Ha ha, very funny. No we checked out Rebecca.’’ Karen drops her bag on a table.
‘’How’s she doing?’’ Kimberly asks.
‘’Still nothing. Who wants some coffee?’’
‘’Oh, can you buy a sandwich for me? I didn’t ate yet.’’ Jimi says.
‘’Well, maybe it’s time that you learn to cook and not wait until I come home.’’ Karen says to Jimi.  ‘’You know, the time Rebecca and I went to Knoxville for the wedding of an old co-worker of us, at 11pm I found Jimi on the couch saying ‘I’m starving’ I swear, he didn’t ate a thing for the whole day and only waited for me to come home.’’
They has to laugh.
‘’But Karen, do you want to buy a sandwich for me too? I also didn’t eat, but I was busy today.’’ Kimberly grabs her wallet for money.
‘’Where were you?’’ Schlap asks.
‘’Somewhere.’’
‘’Why won’t we eat here? We will probably sit her until tomorrow.’’ Jimi says.
‘’Yeah, they have spaghetti with meatballs today.’’ Karen looks on the menu.
‘’Yum yum.’’ Jimi rushes to the counter. The others follows him.

‘’Hey, honey. Shall we eat here for our anniversary? The food is amazing.’’ Jimi said to Karen, the food was still in his mouth.
‘’First of all, please don’t talk with me when you’re still eating, it looks awful. Secondly, no, I need more class.’’ Karen replies.
‘’Ah, missy here needs more class.’’ He tries to talk like Karen, but it turned out into a childish voice.
‘’First eat, then talk.’’ Karen repeats.
‘’Didn’t your mama raised you right?’’ Kimberly asks.
‘’I guess Karen’s busy with re-raising Jimi.’’ Schlap says and starts to laugh.
‘’Sometimes I feel like I’m his mother.’’ Karen explained.
‘’How is it to be a mom?’’ Kimberly asked.
‘’Well, if all kids are like Jimi, I need to think twice about having children.’’
‘’I’m not that bad!’’ Jimi shouts.
‘’You’re kidding, right?’’
‘’But still, you love me right?.’’
‘’Yeah, sure I do.’’ Karen said and kisses Jimi.
‘’Yo, lovebirds. Shall we go upstairs? It’s 9pm, I think the baby will come soon.’’ Kimberly says.
The foursome walks to the elevator, which brings them to the eleventh floor where Phillip and Rebecca are.
‘’Jesus.’’ Karen says and steps away from the window.
‘’Don’t look outside, sweetie.’’ Kimberly brings Karen to the waiting room, far away from the window.
‘’Sorry, I just hate heights.’’ Karen explains.
‘’You don’t have to be sorry.’’
The girls take a seat on the chairs and soon fall asleep.
‘’What time is it?’’ Jimi shouts.
The four woke up.
‘’Did we all fell asleep?’’ Karen asked.
‘’Probably.’’
‘’Eh, it’s 10.30pm.’’
‘’Does someone wants something to drink?’’ Schlap asks. ‘’I’m sorry, I’m just really thirsty.’’
‘’No, problem.’’ Jimi says. ‘’Shall I walk with you.’’
‘’Yes, please. Walking alone through hospitals scares the heck out of me. Happily Karen protected me earlier this night.’’ He smiles to Karen.
Karen smiles back and waves. ‘’You’re welcome.’’
When the boys walks away Kimberly lays head on Karen’s shoulder.
‘’I really hope the baby won’t come today.’’ She whispers.
‘’Steven?’’ Karen asks.
‘’Yeah.’’
‘’Don’t worry, girl, the baby will probably come tomorrow.’’
‘’I visited Steven’s grave today.’’ Kimberly says slowly.
‘’Nothing’s wrong with that.’’
Kimberly nods. ‘’I told him about all the memories which came up in me today about our high school times. Like the day we met, and when I met him, because of you. And the time…’’ Kimberly starts to giggle.
‘’The time I touched your butt.’’ Karen finishes her. ‘’Please, swear you won’t tell someone else.’’ The girls start to laugh.
‘’Is it weird that I still talk to Steven? Out loud?’’
‘’No, it isn’t.’’
‘’There were flowers, new ones. Not from me, the didn’t looked older than three days.’’
‘’They are from me.’’
‘’What?’’ Kimberly looks up.
‘’You’re not the only one who still visits him, and who talks to him.’’
‘’Wait… you do the same.’’
Karen nods. ‘’Every week, if it’s possible. He… he was my best male friend, I just miss him.’’ A tear streams down her face. ‘’I was there, this morning around 6am I think. I just had to see him today because it’s been two years he’s gone, and I knew I just had a little time.’’ She sighs. ‘’Things changes, not always in the good ways. I miss him, I just miss him in all small things, at my wedding, our birthdays, even now we’re touring. It wis our dream, also a part of his and he could never see it.’’
Kimberly grabs a tissue out of her bag. ‘’Don’t cry sweetie.’’
‘’We’re in hospital, no one would look up weird if they see someone cry.’’
Kimberly laughs. ‘’Hey, but I didn’t know this.’’
‘’That’s because I thought it would make you upset and felt like Schlap is unwanted, but he’s not. He’s a great guy, I just… Steven was my high school buddy, I knew him since I was sixteen.’’
‘’I totally get that.’’ Kimberly hugs Karen.
They hear the sound of the elevator.
‘’Shit, I don’t want Jimi to see me cry.’’ Karen says.
‘’Come, let’s take a walk through the hospital. Maybe we get lost and end up in the asylum.’’ Kimberly giggles.
‘’They will keep me there for sure.’’
‘’Wasn’t it you who once got lost and ended up in the laboratory?’’
‘’Yes, it was horrible!’’ Karen shouted. ‘’When I travelled to Rio De Janeiro I got lost and ended up in a neighborhood with gangsters and hookers. I always get lost and show up at the weirdest places.’’
‘’Oh my.’’ Kimberly laughs. She put her arm around Karen’s shoulders walk to the stairs.

‘’Hey Kiki, do you maybe know where my guitar is?’’ Kimberly asks.
‘’You mean the one from college?’’ Karen replies.
‘’Yeah, everybody wrote sweet things on it at the end of the year. I’d like to find it.’’
‘’I hope not.’’ Karen laughs.
‘’Why not?’’
‘’I wrote something awful on it.’’
‘’Really? What?’’
’’I feel honored to be the first girl who ever touched your butt, I love you. Karen.’’’
‘’Never!’’ Kimberly yells.
‘’It’s true.’’ The girls starts to laugh.
‘’Oh gussie, Karen, I really need to find that guitar!’’
‘’Hey you want some coffee?’’
Kimberly looks at her watch. ‘’It’s 1.15, thank God, do you think the shops are still open?’’
‘’No, but there must be a coffee maker somewhere.’’
While the girls where looking for a coffee maker their phones starts to ring.
‘’Jimi.’’ Karen says while she looks on the screen.
‘’Schlap.’’ Kimberly says.
‘’Karen Fairchild.’’
‘’Didn’t you heard the screaming?’’ Jimi shouts.
‘’Eh, no.’’
‘’Didn’t you saw a whole river through the hall?’’
‘’What, no? Where are you talking about.’’
‘’Phillip’s tears, the baby’s coming!’’
Karen hangs her phone up and grabs Kimberly’s arm.
‘’The baby’s coming!’’ the girls start to scream.
They arrive at the eleventh floor and Kimberly starts to giggle.
‘’Do you hear that.’’ She whispers. ‘’It’s Phillip who’s crying.’’
‘’Surprise, surprise, when is he not crying? We even met him while he was crying.’’ Karen looks around and finds Jimi and Schlap in the waiting room at the end of the hall.
Kimberly starts to laugh. ‘’You two met each other while you were both crying.’’
‘’Oh, I hate the Titanic.’’
The girls walks to the boys.
‘’Did the baby already come?’’ Kimberly asks.
‘’No, but the doctors say it can’t take longer then 30 minutes.’’ Jimi says.
‘’Exciting!’’
‘’Hey, where did you find coffee? We’ve been starving for an hour already.’’
‘’Fourth floor.’’ Karen replies.
Kimberly touches Karen’s shoulder.
‘’Karen.’’ she says.
‘’Yes?’’ Karen turns around.
‘’Look at the sign, the fourth floor is the asylum…’’ the girls start to laugh.
‘’Did you guys escaped from the insane asylum?’’ Schlap shouts.
‘’We were just hanging around with Karen’s friends.’’ Kimberly giggles.
‘’Yeah, we sure did. They were thinking about keeping us there.’’
They all start to laugh. At that moment a doctor walked to them.
‘’Sweet family?’’ he asks.
‘’Eh, yes.’’ Karen replies.
‘’Friends.’’ Jimi says.
Karen pokes her elbow in his stomach.  ‘’No one cares.’’ She whispers.
‘’Ouch!’’ Jimi whispers back. ‘’I hate you.’’
‘’Well, I’m glad to tell you that there’s a healthy baby girl born.’’ The doctor says.
Tears shows up in all fours eyes.
‘’Can we see her?’’ Kimberly asks.
‘’Yes, but not for long.’’ The doctor walks away.
In the room they see Phillip crying and sitting next to the bed where Rebecca holds a little baby.
‘’Oh look!’’ Karen cries.
‘’Look, Penelopi, your family is here.’’ Rebecca whispers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.8K 850 20
Small town living. Everyone knows everyone. Everyone is in everyone's business. It's completely different than what other people think.
159K 4.9K 59
When Darci left North Carolina to move into her granparents house in Georgia, she left everything behind that she had ever known. But being impulsive...
54.4K 1.2K 36
We were supposed to be just friends, you don't live in my part of town, but maybe I'll see you out some weekend. - The rewritten version of my very f...
189 1 23
When you've told yourself that you've had enough and that you're better off. Think again. Just when you thought your life will move on smoothly, the...