The Reason Why

By melxfairchild

''A song can heal and speak when there are no words to say.'' This is the story behind the famous country mus... More

Chapter 1: Don't Waste My Time
Chapter 2: Everything Changes
Chapter 3: Kiss Goodbye
Chapter 4: Tryin'
Chapter 5: Good As Gone
Chapter 6: Never Felt Love
Chapter 8: Somewhere Far Away
Chapter 9: You Can't Have Everything
Chapter 10: Evangeline
Chapter 11: Front Porch Thing part 1
Chapter 12: Front Porch Thing part 2
Chapter 13: Mean Streak
Chapter 14: You're Gonna Love Me
Chapter 15: Bones
Chapter 16: Live With Lonesome part 1
Chapter 17: Live With Lonesome part 2
Chapter 18: A Place To Land
Chapter 19: From This Dream
Chapter 20: Runaway Train
Chapter 21: Girl Crush part 1
Chapter 22, Girl Crush part 2
Chapter 23: Quit Breaking Up With Me
Chapter 24: Live Forever

Chapter 7: Little White Church

698 6 0
By melxfairchild

2006

 ‘You look gorgeous!’ Kimberly shouted. 

‘I’m just wearing a dress.’ Karen replied. It’s May 31th, the day Jimi and Karen picked as their wedding day. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining. 

‘No party hardy the night before your wedding, Kim, I am having a headache.’ Karen looked to Kimberly in the mirror. 

‘Ahw, I do have some pills. You want some?’ Kimberly looked a bit worried. ‘Not the wrong ones, please.’ Kimberly started to giggle. 

‘No worries, that won’t happen again.’ A time ago Karen had  massive headache and Kimberly gave Karen Schlap’s old medicine he used after his surgery instead of some aspirins. Karen took three of them so she was pretty stoned. 

‘Although, that stoned feeling was pretty awesome.’ Karen had to admit. ‘Yes, you were hilarious!’ Kimberly said.

‘I am hilarious. Kidding. Jesus, Kim, I’m so nervous!’ 

‘Why, you don’t have to be nervous. You have been through this before.’ Kimberly put her hand on Karen’s shoulder. 

‘I know. But I am just scared… what if he doesn’t show up. Or he is a softie, like Phillip, and he faints.’ Kimberly had to laugh. 

‘Softie. Phillip.’ She whispered while she was laughing. 

‘Or… what if he doesn’t think I am beautiful.’ 

‘Oh, Karen, shut up. You’re the prettiest bride I’ve ever seen and your hair and makeup is not even done.’ 

‘Thank you, Kimberly.’ Karen smiled. ‘Thank you for being my maid of honor.’ 

‘of course I am. If I wasn’t something was wrong with you.’ They laughed. At that moment Karen’s mother and sister came into the room. 

‘my baby.’ Mrs. Fairchild whispered and started to cry. 

‘Ah, come on mom don’t cry. I’ve been married before.’ Karen hates it to see her mother cry, it makes her sad. 

‘I know that, sweetie, but you just look so pretty.’ 

‘Told you.’ Kimberly said and she put her dress on. 

‘Did Jimi already see you?’ Mrs. Fairchild asked. 

‘No, they say that’s bad luck.’ Karen replied. 

‘Did that happened the last time?’ Kimberly started to laugh. 

‘How mature!’ Karen threw a pink lipstick to Kimberly who caught it. 

‘I think I am going to use this one.’ She said. 

‘Who’s doing your hair and makeup?’ Karen’s sister asked. 

‘A niece of Kimberly.’ Karen put her boots on. 

‘She’s here in two minutes.’ Kimberly put her phone away. 

‘I can’t wait to see the result.’

‘There’s Jimi!’ Mrs. Fairchild shouted. 

‘Oh Lord, how do I look?’ Karen asked. 

‘Stop worrying, Kiki, you look amazing.’ Kimberly tried to calm Karen. 

‘You really do.’ Mrs. Fairchild was crying again. 

‘Please, mother, stop crying.’ Karen looked out of the window. Jimi got out of a black Cadillac. He looked damn good in a white suit. Mrs. Fairchild opened the door. 

‘Jimi!’ she yelled.

‘Hello almost-mother-to-be.’ Jimi said. Then he looked to Karen. 

‘Who’s this gorgeous woman? Where’s my Karen?’ Karen started to blush. ‘Hi.’ She whispered. 

‘Wow, Karen you look beautiful!’ Jimi said. 

‘Thank you. You look pretty handsome too.’ She giggled. 

‘Picture time!’ Kimberly had a camera in her hand and her eyes were red. ‘Oh, Kim, please don’t say you cried too.’ Karen sighed. 

‘Sorry, you two are just adorable together!’

‘Hello wife.’ Jimi showed up behind Karen, she turned around. 

’Hi husband.’ She said. ‘it sounds weird.’ She giggled. 

‘Well, get used to it because I want to spend the rest of my life with you.’ ‘Ahw, so sweet.’ 

‘Look, your mother is crying again.’ Jimi pointed to Mrs. Fairchild. 

‘Ah, no. I hoped she had no tears over. I hate it to see her cry.’ 

‘Then you look to the other way.’ They turned around and looked right into a camera. 

‘Smile.’ Kimberly yelled. 

‘If you don’t want to make photos, just stop.’ Karen said. 

‘No, it’s okay! Your family is so nice.’ 

‘Yes, our family is really nice.’ Jimi said. Karen giggled and closed her eyes. She was thinking about what happened that day. When her father leaded her to the altar, where Phillip was wasting more tears then Jimi. When they said ‘’I do’’ and when Jimi was reading a speech he wrote about his love for Karen. For a second she felt guilty that she didn’t wrote one but Jimi didn’t cared about that. ‘I just know you love me.’ He said. 

‘Karen?’ 

‘Huh? What?’ 

‘You were day dreaming. Did you heard what I said?’ Jimi asked. 

‘No, sorry.’ Karen had to admit. 

‘The car is here.’ He grabbed Karen’s hand. 

‘Oh.’ There were spending their wedding night in Birmingham so they had a long road to go. Outside they said goodbye to their friends and family. ‘Don’t hurt her, Westbrook, I’ll find you.’ Mr. Fairchild said. Jimi had to laugh. ‘Oh, dad.’ Karen said. ‘Thanks for today.’ She whispered in his ear. 

‘No, thank you girl for making my world sweeter than it already was.’ A tear showed up in Karen’s eye. 

‘Ahw. I love you.’ She said. 

‘I love you too. And now you’re going to enjoy your night, Mrs. Westbrook.’ Karen had to giggle and got in the car.

‘Excuse, can you please go into that street there at the end of the road?’ Karen pointed to a small street on the right. 

‘Where do you want to go?’ Jimi asked. 

‘You’ll see.’ She kept quick for some minutes. ‘stop!’ the car stopped by a little white church. 

‘That’s very sweet.’ Jimi said. It was the church where Steven’s funeral was. Jimi and Karen prayed. Tears streamed down their face. 

‘Amen.’ Karen said while Jimi put his arm around her and they drove away.

‘Are you enjoying your time?’ Kimberly asked. 

‘I sure am. It’s beautiful.’ Jimi replied. ‘Are you okay?’ Jimi saw a something sad into Kimberly’s eyes. 

‘To be honest, yes.’ She whispered. 

‘Is it Steven?’ Kimberly nodded. 

‘I understand.’ 

‘It’s just… a bit difficult.’

‘It will be okay, Kim.’ 

‘I know that.’ They gave eachother a hug.‘Where’s your wife?’ 

‘There.’ Jimi pointed behind him. They looked at Karen’s back. She stood close to the water, she was looking at the sea. The wind blew through her hair. 

‘Is there something wrong with Karen?’ Kimberly sounded a bit worried. It was November 28. Schlap and Kimberly decided to marry on the beach somewhere in the south. 

‘She has the same as you.’ Jimi said. ‘Steven and her were really close friends. It’s a bit difficult for her, I guess.’ Kimberly looked to Jimi. 

‘Do you think she doesn’t want me to marry Schlap?’ 

‘Of course not, silly. And if that was the case, it was too late. You’re already husband and wife.’ Kimberly nodded. 

‘Yo Jimi! Whiskey!’ Phillip shouted. He stood by another table. 

‘Can I?’ Jimi asked. 

‘You go, I see Schlap is talking to my mother. I don’t want her to tell him awkward stories about me. ’ she tried to laugh and walked away. 

‘Here bro.’ Phillip gave Jimi his drink. 

‘Where’s Rebecca?’Jimi asked. 

‘Talking to one of Kimberly’s girlfriends. They know eachother from an early job.’ 

‘Oh, that’s funny.’ 

‘Where’s Karen?’ 

‘There.’ Jimi pointed to the sea. He saw that Karen turned around and she looked right into his eyes. 

‘What’s wrong with Kiki?’ Phillip asked. 

‘Steven.’ Jimi said. 

‘Go to her, buddy. She could use some support right now.’ 

‘Do you think about Steven too?’ 

‘Of course. I even cried this morning.’ Phillip had to admit. 

‘What a softie.’ Jimi was joking. ‘Kidding, Karen and I did the same.’ He walked to Karen. 

‘Did you told Kimberly about my feelings?’ she asked. She sounded a bit mad. 

‘Yes.’ Jimi said slowly. 

‘Jimi! Why?’ 

‘I didn’t want to keep a secret for Kimberly.’ ‘

This is supposed to be a new begin for her! And you’re bothering her with my feelings? Look at her. When we arrived her she was smiling and her eyes were twinkling and now she looks even a bit sad. Thank you, Westbrook.’ Karen walked away. Shit. Jimi kicked into the sand. He walked back to Phillip. The only thing he said was: ‘more whiskey’. 

‘What am I? Your slave?’ Phillip asked. Jimi nodded.

‘Is everything okay, Kim?’ Karen sat next to Kimberly on a fence. 

‘Yes. Well, no. I don’t know.’ She said. 

‘Steven?’ 

‘Yes.’ She had to admit. ‘But Schlap knows it. He understands it. Of course he does, he’s so lovable.’ 

‘That’s very sweet of him but don’t let your memories screw your day.’ 

‘It doesn’t. There are just some moments he popes up into my mind.’ 

‘Same here.’ Karen had to admit. 

‘I know you’re mad at Jimi.’ Kimberly said.

‘What?’ 

‘I saw you two talking. Don’t be mad at him.’

‘I don’t but I just want that you enjoy this day and don’t worry about me.’ ‘That’s so sweet of you.’ Kimberly hugged Karen. ‘But you’re actually screwing my day if you’re mad at Jimi. Of course we think about Steven. We all do, but I know y’all like Schlap and that’s what matters.’ Kimberly said. ‘Now, go to Jimi and show him your love.’ 

‘Thanks girl.’ Karen walked to Jimi, who was talking to a girl. 

‘Jimi?’ Karen touched Jimi’s shoulder. 

‘Yes?’ he turned around.

‘Can I talk to you for a second?’ 

‘Sure.’ He turned around to the girl. ’Excuse me, my wife needs me.’ 

‘oh that’s okay.’ The girl looked disappointed and walked away. Karen had to laugh. 

‘Did you saw her face when you said ‘’my wife’’? Who’s she?’ 

‘The daughter of one of Kimberly’s nieces, she’s checking me out for the whole day already.’ 

‘So, I have a rival?’ 

‘Yes.’ Jimi had to laugh. 

‘Hey, eh, sorry about my behavior of before. This day just means a lot to me. The only thing I want to see it that Kimberly’s happy.’ 

‘It’s alright, baby. I understand it, it was a stupid move of me.’ 

‘Let’s forget this, okay?’

‘Yes.’ Jimi and Karen gave eachother a kiss.

‘Hey sweetie.’ Schlap showed up behind Kimberly. 

‘Oh hey! I already lost you.’ She said. 

‘No worries, I won’t run away.’ 

‘That’s good.’ 

‘Are you okay? I mean… you know.’ 

‘Yes I am. I had to think about Steven for some moments but I didn’t doubt a second for not marrying you.’ 

‘I don’t care, you know. I really understand if you think about Steven. I am not jealous or something.’ Schlap said. 

‘That’s so sweet of you, Schlap.’ Kimberly smiled and kissed him. 

‘Are the others okay too? I’ve seen Karen starring at the sea for over an hour.’ 

‘Yes, she was thinking about it a bit.’ 

‘I don’t blame her for that. I know she loves me.’ They had to laugh. ‘Everybody loves you.’ Kimberly hugged Schlap. 

‘I’ve been thinking…’ 

‘Oh, no.’ Kimberly laughed. 

‘If we’re back in Nashville, shall we visit the church where Steven’s funeral was?’ 

‘The little white church in west? Are you kidding.’ 

‘No.’ 

‘That’s the sweetest thing ever’ Kimberly shouted. 

‘Thank you so much.’ A little tear fell down her face.

2007

 ‘I expected them to marry before us. They got engaged first.’ Karen drank from her wine. 

‘Yes, I was thinking the same.’ The girls were standing in a corner of the hall where Phillip and Rebecca held their wedding party. 

‘Why are we actually standing in this corner like where’s hiding for someone? Oh, Kim, tell me what did you do?’ 

‘What? Me? I didn’t do a thing!’ Kimberly shouted.

‘But…’ she stood closer by Karen. ‘There’s a guy here who’s looking at me for the whole day already. It’s creepy.’ Karen started to laugh. 

‘That’s it? We’re hiding for some of your secret lovers?’

’Shit. there he is!’ Kimberly pointed to a guy. 

‘Oh Lord.’ Karen said. ‘What’s wrong with his eyes?’ she started to laugh. ‘That’s what I meant!’ Kimberly said and she turned her back to the guy. Karen did the same. 

‘Shall we go outside?  The landscape is beautiful and everything’s better than standing with your back to people.’ Karen said. Kimberly started to laugh. 

‘As long as I don’t have to see that guy.’ Karen grabbed Kimberly’s hand and tried to find a way through all the people. 

‘Here we go.’ Karen said. ‘Look! The guys are there.’ The girls walked to Jimi, Phillip and Schlap. 

‘Hello y’all.’ Karen said. 

‘Phillip, who’s that dude who looks weird.’ Kimberly asked.

‘You mean Kris, in the brown suit?’ 

‘With the red bowtie, yes!’ 

‘That’s the stepson of one of Becky’s nieces. What’s wrong with him?’ 

‘He’s stalking Kim for the whole day.’ Karen grabbed Jimi’s cup and started to drink of it. 

‘Hey! That’s my drink.’ 

‘Not anymore. We are married, we share things together, also a drink.’ She laughed. 

‘True. One point for you.’ He put his arm around Karen. 

‘Stop being romantic, it’s me and Becky’s wedding day, we’re supposed to be romantic.’ Phillip had to laugh.

‘Well, Becky’s not here so we’re doing your job.’ Karen winked to Phillip. ‘Yes, Philly, where’s your bride?’ Kimberly looked around. 

‘She’s talking to her friends. She’ll come soon. Oh look, there she comes.’ Phillip pointed at the door. 

‘Sorry guys, people keep talking to me!’ Rebecca said. 

‘It’s okay.’ Phillip said and kissed his wife.

‘Do you guys enjoy the party?’ Rebecca asked. 

‘We sure do.’ Jimi said. 

‘Only Kim has a stalker.’ Karen had to laugh.’ 

‘Stop, Kiki, it’s not funny!’ Kimberly giggled. 

‘Who Kris?’ Kimberly nodded. ‘Oh Jesus, don’t mind him. He’s a bit crazy.’ ‘We already figured that out.’ Karen said. 

‘Only weirdo’s are attractive by Kimberly.’ Jimi said. 

‘Dude, I’m standing next to you.’ Schlap said. 

‘Shit.’ They all had to laugh. 

‘Oh there’s the food!’ Karen shouted. ‘I’m starving, I see you all later.’ 

‘Wait!’ Schlap said. ‘I’m going with you.’ Karen and Schlap walked inside. ‘Eh, Kimberly. We eh… this morning Rebecca and I visited Steven’s grave.’ Phillip said slowly. 

‘What? Really? That’s so sweet!’ she hugged Rebecca and Phillip. ‘Thank you all for doing this. It means the world to me.’ 

‘Maybe we can visit the little white church together once.’ Jimi said. 

‘Yes, that’s a good idea.’ Rebecca said. 

‘If Kimberly wants it. And Schlap and Karen.’ ‘I know sure they both agree.’ Kimberly said and she  was giggling. ‘I have the best friends in the world. Group hug!’ she shouted.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 67 10
Y/n L/n just moved to Denver and what she thought was going to be a peaceful town...turned out to be so much more. Posting Every Monday/Tuesday
54.5K 1.2K 36
We were supposed to be just friends, you don't live in my part of town, but maybe I'll see you out some weekend. - The rewritten version of my very f...
12 0 12
Small Girl growing up in a small town , with just her and her nana not knowing it'll come a time when nana gets ill she'll have to break through and...
20.8K 850 20
Small town living. Everyone knows everyone. Everyone is in everyone's business. It's completely different than what other people think.