His Blue ✓

By MalibuGardner

Indie Jasper is a shy, unknown writer. Anson Fischart is the school's pretty boy. Indie is not popular by an... More

Introduction
Character Aesthetics
1| Class with the QB
2| Paradox
3| Breach of privacy
4| Blue
5| Lonesome swan
6| Don't do emotions
7| A man's pride
8| Not ashamed
9| Friday night lights
10| Drowsiness
11| Roofie
12| Crumble
13| Amends
14| You are different
15| Not the type
16| Movie date
17| Distrust
18| Seven minutes in heaven
19| Tears
20| Meet Dad
21| Knuckles
22| Fortune Cookie
23| Muse
24| Impressment
25| Wet
26| After kissing
27| Concession confession
28| Safeguarded
29| Forget
31| Partners
32| To those who wait
33| Rejection
34| Bluer
35| Avoidance
36| Locked in
37| Letterman jacket
38| Girls' night w/ Anson
39| Family
40| Panic! At the football game
41| Causes
42| Unexpected hug
43| Self-defense
44| Engagement
45| Champagne caresses
46| Explosion
47| Broken home
48| Want
49| Thanksgiving
50| Between the sheets
51| Intensive Care Unit
52| Shattered
53| Argument
54| A second time
55| Christmas gift
author's ending note
my other work

30| Placeholder

44.8K 1.4K 683
By MalibuGardner

Beep.

I ignore the cringe-inducing sound of the scanner as I ring up a lady's purchase of Walden. My fingers brush against the hard cover of the book as I bag it for her and smile.

"Would you like a receipt?" I say politely.

"No thanks." The lady says, before turning to leave.

I sigh. It's another day that I'm at work. Today however, I'm not tidying shelves. Anson would be proud. I think with a snicker.

Of course, I'm only at the register because my managers are out of town today- leaving me in charge.

I look around the store, noticing no one inside, and I make a break to the back room that is full of inventory and the minifridge for the employees.

I carefully prop open the door to the room, and grab a bite of my afternoon snack. I'm still, except for chewing, until the same door from a second before begins to close, and I quickly dart to catch it.

We've got to get this fixed. I frown. For months now, the door has been closing and locking from the outside. I reach to examine the door handle, when I hear the bell ringing in the store.

It will have to wait.

I quickly begin walking back out and calling to the customer. "Welcome!" I round a shelf corner, ready to welcome the customer, but I see Anson strolling through the entrance. He gives a trademark grin.

"Hey Blue."

I smile.

"Am I interrupting something?" He asks casually.

  "No." I look at Anson expectantly.

"Where is everyone today?" He scans the empty registers with his eyes.

"They're-" I start to explain, but a sound suddenly echoes from the register. I hear my ringtone and the vibrating of my phone which I left on it, and I sigh.

I hesitate and Anson looks at me in confusion. 

"You gonna get that?"

"I don't have time for personal calls when I'm with customers." I explain my reason for not rushing to answer.

"I'm not a customer." Anson says honestly.

I give him a look. "Then what are you doing here?"

He looks at me and smiles. "Would you like to go to the mall?"

"What's the occasion?"

"Money to spend and someone to spend it on?" He suggests and I nod.

Can he be any cuter?

"When I get off work, I'll go with you."

"I'll be out waiting in my car when you're ready."

He leaves and I begin to count down the minutes until my shift ends.

An hour later, I stand in front of a store window, gazing longingly at the mannequins on the other side when Anson joins me with a soft pretzel in his hand. It looks buttery and warm and is sprinkled-over with salt.

He breaks off a piece between his long fingers, and looks at me happily. "Open up."

"I can feed myself." I say sternly, taking the bread from his fingers and putting it in my mouth.

As I chew, Anson's gaze flickers over to the window. He sees that I'm looking at a beautiful long dress. I swallow my pretzel.

"It's pretty, isn't it?" I say.

"Yes."

I step closer and peer through the glass. "I think that shade of blue is my favorite color."

I take another look. Definitely my favorite.

"How about we go in the store and look closer?" Anson suggests. "You could try it on. I guarantee it would be gorgeous on you."

I wish.

I bite my lip. "I never try on things that I don't need and can't afford."

There's no use in wasting time.

"I can afford it." He squints at the price tag. "My dad's a Doctor."

I frown and pull Anson's wrist, leading him away from the window.

"Let's go to Hot Topic."

We're at the mall, so we might as well make the most of our visit.

"Where?"

I roll my eyes. "Don't tell me you've never been in there."

Anson shakes his head. "Don't tell me you have." He stops and stares judgmentally at the store. It looks dark and uninviting from the outside.

It's also a little goth.

But it's not scary or anything.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I say.

"How can a girl as fair as you go into a place so dark?"

     "Gag me. Are you a walking Hallmark movie script now?"

    He blinks at me. Of course my reference is lost on him.

"There are some cool things in here." I speak again. "Where do you usually shop?"

"Adidas or Nike outlets. Hibbet sports. Maybe under armor." Anson blinks at me and ruffles his golden hair with a hand. "What does this place sell?"

"Graphic tees, merch, cool stuff. come on!" I pull his arm. "Fern and I always stop in here." I make a pouty face which I know Anson can't resist.

"Fine." He sighs, following me through the doors. I make a beeline to the back and to the classic band shirts. I scavenge for a treat for myself, or maybe a gift for Fern.

They've got Queen, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses...

Anson stands warily for a moment, before he spots a shirt that grabs his attention.

Next thing I know, we're both holding a handful of tees.

"I'll pay." Anson insists. I want to argue, but he says that converting him into a Hot Topic shopper is enough payment on my part.

"I thought this stuff wasn't you're style?" I ask on our way out of the store.

"I thought a lot of things too, until I met you."

He smiles at me and I bite my lip happily.

"Come on, let's go get a meal. That pretzel is long gone."

Anson and I decide to stop in the food court for supper. As we eat, I wonder if Anson sees this as a near-date. I also wonder If he will ever consider me as a love interest.

I'm stupid for getting my hopes up! He's said nothing that leads me to believe he is interested in a relationship.

I look across the table at him. My heart hurts. He's so close, but he seems so unattainable even still. He gulps down his food and I offer him a napkin.

Our eyes meet and he knows I'm not in a positive place.

"What are you thinking?" He asks, taking another bite of food.

"I'm wondering about my next journal entry." I lie.

"Something happy, I hope."

"I hope."

He gulps. "I heard we've got a project coming up in Ms. Graves' class." Anson says. "You may find yourself with no time to write, soon."

An assignment?

I roll my eyes. "Well that's great."

"Maybe we can be partners?" Anson suggests. "You're so smart. You're like a dream partner."

My cheeks heat at his praise.

"I guess i would drag you down." He continues.

I smile and give his arm a nudge. "Not as far as someone like Bryce would." I laugh. "That was just an example." I add.

"You and him are friendly now?"

Bryce saved me from Kyle. He made up for the few comments he's made and I consider him a friendly-acquaintance now. I'm glad, too.

"Yes." I say honestly. "You know, he's a lot like you."

Anson chuckles. "I hope you're only referring to the good attributes."

"Of course."

I feel myself smiling, and Anson leans across the mall table.

"Indie-" He begins unsurely.

"Yes?"

"I've got a lot on my mind." He states. His voice is low.

I feel my chest growing deathly still. Anxiety grips at my stomach and I clasp my hands together in my lap.

Could this be about us?

"Don't hesitate to tell me." I say quietly.

Anson exhales and looks around. His eyes finally rest on me.

"I've been feeling something, recently."

Me too! I breathe, becoming more anxious to hear his declaration.

"It keeps me up at night sometimes."

Same here. I think to when I couldn't sleep after Anson's kiss. I was literally up all night.

"I want to tell my close friends all about it." He continues.

I've already told Fern. I smile- not looking at Anson in fear I would look too eager.

"And I'm not sure how to describe my feelings. These past weeks have done something to me." He grips his chair and I bite my lip.

"I feel the same way." I say happily.

Anson raises a brow at that, and continues speaking slowly.

"I think the relationship is getting serious."

I smile. Could it be that our emotions are so in check?! Anson is finally telling me his feelings and they're almost matched by mine.

"What are you smiling about?" He suddenly says, and I frown unsurely.

"I mean," I breathe, "Isn't this good? Things are getting serious..." I see his not-so-happy expression, and I raise a brow. "Do you not want this?"

Anson opens his mouth. "No!" He says harshly, taking me aback.

What?!

My heart drops into my stomach, my throat feels dry.

"My dad's girlfriend is nice enough, but I can't get behind the idea of her and him becoming more than just a casual couple."

His words hit me squarely and unexpectedly.

"It's driving me crazy here lately!" Anson exclaims. "My dad, the jerk, dating someone who's not my mother and nothing like her!" He shakes his head. "I don't know if I'm upset because he doesn't care, or because he's moving on... either way..."

Realization sinks in.

His dad?

He's feeling upset because his dad's relationship is getting serious, and that's keeping him up at night? And he wants to tell his friends about how he feels, but he can't?

I rub my face exhaustedly.

"You're talking about your dad and his girlfriend?" I clarify.

"Yeah." Anson shakes his head. "I was. But now it's out of my system." He stands up, grabbing his trash. "What else would I be talking about?"

Annoyance prickles beneath my skin.

Oh, I don't know! Maybe the girl sitting right in front of you?! Desperately wondering if you care for her as more than a friend. Desperately-

"Do you want me to throw away your trash for you?" Anson's hand is outstretched.

"Yeah." I say embarrassedly. I stand up and gather my shopping bags while he makes his way to the trash bin.

Anson returns from the garbage and looks at me with a soft expression. " hey," his hand brushes against my arm.

"thanks for spending time with me." He says. "And for listening. You're great company." He winks and grabs my hand.

"You're.. you're welcome." I mutter unsurely.

Anson chuckles and leads me from the food court. In my heart, I feel more confused than ever before.

Does Anson feel anything for me at all? Or am I just taking the place of Marissa?

     Here's your weekly update! Remember to vote and comment if you liked it! Were you surprised about what Anson had on his mind? Not gonna lie, I really had fun making Indie feel like an idiot there for a second. How do you think this conversation will change Indie's attitude towards Anson, if at all?

     I look forward to seeing what my readers have to say! As always, see you next week!

     ~ Malibu

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

263K 7.3K 29
|| Highest Rank - #40 in Teen Fiction (4-20-17) || [previously called The Bad Boys Nerd] [previously called Broken Love] {first story, so it's rough}...
348K 3.5K 17
𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙝𝙚 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙𝙚𝙙 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙣𝙖𝙢𝙚. 𝘼𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣 𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙤𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙤 𝙩𝙤 𝙧𝙤𝙘𝙠 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚 𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙. Leaving her broken ho...
1.7M 59.1K 40
He needs a scholarship. She's... well, she's just being nice. To him, she's just another nerd. To her, he's just a washed up jock. But when he finds...
18.9M 535K 55
"You just have no idea." His voice was thick with restraint. "W-what," I breathed. His gaze flicked to my lips as his thumb stroked again. The call...