Safe in Your Arms

By EbonySolcum

Newt and Tina struggle to cope with losing people they love and are drawn together because of it. The Fantast... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Epilogue

Chapter 33

2.9K 99 319
By EbonySolcum

Newt held Tina closer to him. Her head was nestled in the crook of his neck and her arms were around his waist, her hands tucked between him and the chair. They had been sitting there for nearly an hour, neither of them saying anything. 

Newt was beginning to wonder if Tina had fallen asleep. He shifted slightly so he could look down and see her face. She looked up at him, a peaceful expression on her face.

I have been acting differently around her, he realized. But I can't help it. I'm just so nervous. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't made that promise to Nagini.

Tina yawned, moving a hand from behind him to cover her mouth.

"We should go to bed," Newt murmured.

"Can't we stay here?"

"No, Tina. We need to sleep. Tomorrow's Christmas."

Tina sighed, moving her arms to wrap around his neck.

"I don't want to move," she mumbled.

Newt chuckled. He shifted himself out from underneath her and struggled to his feet. Her arms were still around his neck and she was refusing to let go. Laughing slightly, he scooped her up and carried her up the stairs. When they reached the hallway, he set her down in front of her door.

"Good night, Tina," he murmured, pressing a kiss to her lips.

"Good night," she mumbled sleepily.

Newt watched as she entered her room, shutting the door behind her. He turned started to open his door. Then he hesitated. He quickly made his way down to the basement and pulled open a drawer in his desk. He reached into the back of it, pulling out the package that sat there.

He tugged the knotted string loose and gently pushed the brown paper away to reveal a blue and gold book. He grabbed a quill and dipped it in a bottle of ink. Carefully lifting the cover he moved to sign the book. Then he hesitated.

What do I say?

His eyes flickered up to the dedication.

This book is dedicated to Bunty, for taking care of my creatures while I was away researching information for my book; to Jacob Kowalski and Queenie Goldstein, for the help they provided me in New York and for showing me how important it is to have friends; and especially to Tina Goldstein, the most amazing person I have ever met. This I doubt this book would exist if not for her.

He had been so nervous as he wrote that. He hadn't been sure if he had been overstepping his bounds. Now he knew Tina wouldn't mind it but she might have when the book was released.

Newt lowered the quill to the page and slowly began to write.

This copy belongs to Tina Goldstein, the most beautiful and amazing woman I've ever met, and the only woman I've ever loved.

I know you can get through this, Tina. You are a very strong woman, you can handle anything. I hope you never doubt yourself and remember that I love you with my whole heart.

Newt Scamander

Newt read through the message. When he was satisfied that there were no mistakes, he closed the book and wrapped it up again. He pulled out his wand and transfigured the heavy brown paper into slightly thinner green paper. Then he transfigured the string into a red ribbon, tying it into a bow and attaching a tag with Tina's name on it. He made his way back up to his room, dropping the package under the tree with the other presents as he passed.

Nagini was the first to wake up the next morning and was very quick to wake everyone else up. Newt and Jacob joined her and Tina in the hall and she darted down the stairs. Jacob chuckled and followed after her. Newt turned and pulled Tina into a hug.

"Good morning, Tina," he murmured, pressing a kiss to her lips. "Happy Christmas."

Tina smiled. "Merry Christmas."

Newt studied her eyes. Then he remembered what was in his dresser drawer. Suddenly nervous, he dropped his gaze.

"Why don't you go downstairs, Tina?" he mumbled. "I'll be along in a minute."

She nodded and started down the steps. Newt turned and went back to his room. He pulled open a drawer and grabbed the key that lay in the back. He used that to unlock a small drawer in the top center of the dresser. Pulling it open, he stared the small box inside. As he moved to pick it up, he hesitated. An internal battle had begun.

I can't do this. I can't. It's too soon. I don't even know if this is what she wants.

The only way to find out is by asking her. Besides, you promised Nagini.

Technically I didn't promise her anything. I said I might.

But this is what you want, isn't it?

Yes but . . . I can't.

 Newt quickly slammed the drawer shut. He locked it and shoved the key back in its hiding place. Then he nervously made his way downstairs. The other three were sitting on the floor near the tree. He joined them.

They started with wizard crackers. Newt and Tina pulled one together. It broke apart with a sound like a canon and they were momentarily surrounded by a cloud of golden smoke. Then Jacob and Nagini pulled one that let out a cloud of green smoke. They pulled a couple more and then sorted through the gifts. Jacob was amazed by how much had been in the crackers. Each cracker had a hat and a handful of gifts. Newt had been hesitant to wear his hat but the other three had decided he had to and Tina had shoved it on his head. The gifts included three Wizard's Chest sets, several of Dr. Filibuster's Fabulous Wet-Start, No-Heat Fireworks, and some Chocolate Frogs. Jacob got a grow-your-own-warts kit and Tina got a pocket sneakoscope. 

When they had finally finished examining their gifts, they moved on to the rest of the presents. Nagini was very excited about her presents, she loved all her books and the notebook that Jacob had given her, and Jacob was fascinated by the magical qualities of all his gifts. Newt opened Jacob's present first. It was a small box and, when he opened it he realized it was a gold pocket watch, with the image of a dragon etched on the cover. He thanked his friend and watched as Tina opened her present. It was a silver hairbrush with a pink stone set in the center.

"This is beautiful, Jacob," Tina breathed.

"I thought it would remind you of Queenie, you know, because of the pink," Jacob explained. "I know it hurts to think about her but I think it's important not to forget her."

"Thank you, Jacob. You're right. We shouldn't forget Queenie. I'm sure she'll come back to us someday."

Nagini came up, handing both Newt and Tina a small box. 

"Your gifts go together," she said. She seemed embarrassed. 

Newt slowly unwrapped the box and opened it. Inside was a shape made of stone with a few words cut into it. He pulled it out and examined it. It appeared to be half of a heart. It was smooth except for where the side where the other half would be. This side was uneven, but it wasn't rough. He read the words. One side read:

Newt ar

He glanced at it curiously and turned it over. The other side had more to it.

Happy

mas

27

There were two other marks on it, one before the word 'Happy' and one before the 'mas'. He studied it and realized he knew what Tina's would say.

"I made it myself," Nagini said shyly. "You can put them together."

Newt and Tina glanced at each other. Then they held the two halves of the heart together. When the two pieces approached each other, they began to tug pull towards each other like magnets. They finally touched and seemed to become one, the line between them disappearing. The message on it could now be read clearly.

Newt and Tina

Merry / Happy

Christmas

1927

Newt took the heart in both hands. He tugged slightly and the two halves came apart. Then he let them snap back together.

"It has a stand too," Nagini said. She produced a stone base and set it on the coffee table. Taking the heart from Newt, she held it above the base. Then she slowly let go, leaving the heart hovering over its base.

"You did all this yourself?" Tina asked.

Nagini nodded. "It's my also my thank you to the two of you for taking me and teaching me magic. I wouldn't have been able to make this if you hadn't taught me the magic I needed."

Tina pulled the girl into a hug. "We're both so proud of you. You've learned so much magic in just three months. That's amazing."

Newt gave Nagini a hug as well. Then he gave Tina the smaller of his two gifts. She opened it slowly and pulled out the necklace.  

"This is so beautiful," she breathed. "I love this."

"I'm glad you like it."

Tina offered the necklace to him. "Put it on me," she said.

Newt took the necklace from her and she brushed her hair away. He carefully clasped the necklace around her neck.

"Here's your presents," Tina said. She handed him two rectangular packages. "Open the big one first."

Newt obeyed and gently pushed the paper away to reveal a green notebook with the image of an Occamy that slithered across the cover. 

"Oh, this is beautiful," he said, offering her a smile. 

"I think you'll like the other one more," Tina said.

Newt glanced at her curiously. He opened the second package to reveal a box. He opened it slowly to reveal a quill made from . . .

"A Thunderbird feather?" he asked. He picked it up and rolled it between his thumb and index finger. The cream-colored feather flashed gold as it caught the light. "Where did you get this?"

"It's Frank's. I found it in my apartment after you left. It reminded me of you so I made it into a quill and carried it everywhere."

"And you're giving it to me?" Newt asked. He was touched but he didn't understand.

"I don't need it to remind me of you anymore," Tina explained. "I'm here with you now but I thought you might like to have something that reminds you of Frank." She hesitated. "Do you like it?"

"Of course, I like it, Tina. I love it." He pulled her closer and pressed a kiss to her lips. "And I love you." He reached under the tree to pull out the last package. "I've got something else for you."

He handed her the package and watched as she slowly unwrapped it. A startled look appeared on her face so he quickly began to explain.

"I know you already have a copy of my book but this one is special. It's the first copy ever printed and its the copy I was going to bring to you. When I wasn't allowed to leave the country I was going to send it to you but that just felt wrong. I wanted to give it to you myself."

Tina slowly ran her finger over the cover of the book.

"This is the first copy?" she said. "Why would you have been going to give me the first copy?"

"Because you're special," Newt replied. "You've always been special to me."

Tina blushed and Newt leaned forward to kiss her again. Their kiss was interrupted by a shout from Jacob.

"Newt, look!" he exclaimed.

Newt glanced at his friend. He was staring up at the Christmas tree. Newt followed his gaze. There, at the top of the tree, reaching for the star, was one of the baby Nifflers. 

Newt was on his feet in a moment. He lunged towards the Niffler but the creature had seen him coming and had jumped from the tree. It landed on the ground and scurried from the room. Newt ran towards after the creature. He could hear Tina following him.

They caught the Niffler at the top of the stairs. Newt scooped him up and checked his pouch. Surprisingly, the creature didn't seem to have stolen anything since it got out of its cage.

Tina took the furry creature from him and they made their way down to the Niffler's burrow. Newt started.

"The cage is still locked and all the other Nifflers are still inside," he said. "How did he get out?"

Tina shrugged. "I don't know. Why don't we put him back first?"

"Alright," Newt nodded. He opened the cage. However, before he could take the Niffler from Tina, something caught his eye. Sitting there, among a pile of gold coins was . . .

The ring.

A/N: It's still not Christmas yet but that's fine. This was a very long chapter. I hope you enjoyed it. Please vote and comment!

I want to thank everyone for giving their ideas for presents. Obviously, I couldn't use all of them but I want to give a shout out to those people whose ideas I did use. First of all, I want to thank genna10 for the idea for the gift Nagini gave Tina and Newt. The suggestion was for her to give Tina something she had made herself out of wood or stone. The suggestion helped me come up with the idea I ended up using. I got two ideas from TheQuaffle who suggested that Jacob give Newt a pocket watch and Tina give Newt a quill. The idea for the hairbrush with the stone that could remind Tina of her sister came from a suggestion made by Drachenhexe. Both IldiDragonheart and MiaTheHooman suggested that Jacob give Nagini a journal/diary. Finally, TiaraRI_ suggested that Tina should give Newt a book so I decided on a notebook.

In case anyone doesn't understand what Nagini gave Newt and Tina or would like to see exactly what meant, I sketched my idea. Here it is:

Anyway, have a good day!

Bye!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.1K 1.8K 39
A Newt and Tina fanfiction. I do NOT own any of these characters, they are J.K Rowling's characters from Fantastic Beasts and where to find them! Con...
4.6K 214 45
The tale unfolds when a gentle Hufflepuff lad, fond of magical creatures, encounters the vivacious and chaotic Slytherin girl. The twists and turns o...
31K 1.4K 41
Completed| #3 in Newtina| A few short Fantastic Beasts stories looped together in a nice little fanfiction. Tina and Queenie invite Newt and Jacob to...
92.1K 3.9K 76
Newt's back in New York for one reason & one reason only. Tina. There are ups, downs & love triangles galore. I mean, what's not to love about a good...