Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

By TruthorDare

Saturn- or Sadie- is graced with the art of lying. She can tell if people are lying or telling the truth, alo... More

Description
Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire
Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire: 2

219 4 3
By TruthorDare

ݤ Chapter Three ݤ

~Saturn~

My alarm clock woke me up the next morning. I rolled over and hit it off, but I didn't go back to sleep. It was already twelve o'clock and I needed to be at the beach by one. It was also a thirty minute drive.

I quickly combed my hair, brushed my teeth, and then slipped on a swimsuit. Knowing I would want some extra clothing for later, I threw on a sweater and shorts, along with stuffing extra stuff in my duffle bag. I was done by twelve twenty.

I raced down the stairs just as Ashley went in the kitchen. I ran after her, asking "You're taking me to the beach, right?"

She turned to me with a smile wider than it should have been. "Of course! Actually, all of us are going so just give us a few seconds and we'll go!"

I wanted to hurt someone. "ALL of you are going?!"

This. Wasn't. Good. A bunch of Graced people were going and I hadn't known of anyone inviting ANY mortals. This was too big of a trouble and I started panicking.

"Well, to take you yes. Chad and I want to go to Laketon to look around- maybe shop- and Travis doesn't want to be left behind. I think he wants to go to the actual beach with you...he says that he should see some of his friends."

No, I don't think he would. "Um..." I was completely running out of things to say until it donned on me- I'm a Liar, duh! I quickly ran from the kitchen and dumped into Travis on the way to the quest room.

"Anxious to see me?" he smirked.

"You don't want to go to the beach and Chad won't let you." I grinned to myself and turned around, knowing I had eliminated a problem. The only thing I had left to take care of was if Ashley questioned me about the people who were there...

"Um, I hate to break it to you, but you're wrong." I heard the cockiness in his voice and I instantly swiveled around to look at him.

It hadn't worked.

Why?!

"What do you mean?" I asked nervously.

"Chad said it'd be good for me and that I should. And I DO want to go, thank you very much."

I felt as if my whole world was crumbling down, as if I was losing my mind. Was I? Why hadn't it worked?! He should be thinking that he didn't want to go right about now! I took a step back, "Tell me a lie."

"What?" he asked whist giving me a really weird look.

"Just tell me a lie damn it!"

He stuttered for a moment before finally saying something. "I'm eleven...."

I didn't get the feeling in my chest, even though I could physically see that he wasn't eleven. What was happening to me?!

I put my hand on my chest and noticed that my heart was beating way faster than normal and my breaths were coming short and fast. I was hyperventilating by the time Travis put his hand on my back.

"Are you alright?" he asked with concern.

I was too shocked and unnerved to say anything cruel. "I-I don't know..."

"Let's go!" I heard Ashley say before she emerged from the kitchen. I immediately straightened up and looked directly at her.

"I have red hair."

"That was random..." Ashley's eyebrow went up in suspicion. "And your hair is brown, sweetheart."

My world was coming to an end.

* ݤ *

The car ride to the beach was awkward, at least for me, and I couldn't have been happier to arrive. I said one short goodbye to Chad and Ashley before rushing to where everyone was as quickly as I could. Travis walked behind me.

"Hey!" Kathy called to me and I shot her a pleasant smile.

"Hey. Is Marcus here yet?"

I saw something run through her eyes, as if she was mad, but she shook it away. "Yeah, he's over by the rocks with a couple of guys. Wh-"

I didn't hear the rest of her words for I had already dropped my things and I was running full speed to the rocks. Something strange was happening and I thought Marcus would be the only one who knew what was going on.

"Marcus!" I yelled.

"Hey! Sadie!" he called back. I climbed up the rocks and with Marcus' help, I was soon sitting next to him.

"We need to talk," I said seriously.

His eyes went wide. "What's wrong?"

"Something...something is happening to me and I don't know what. This morning I tried to lie and no one believed me! And when I made Travis tell me a lie, I didn't get that feeling like I normally do!"

"Travis was at your house?"

"Focus!"

"Sorry!" He paused for a moment. "So your powers aren't working?"

"It seems that way..."

"Well, I guess you should just meditate. See what happens."

I closed my eyes and took hallow breaths. I felt my heart rate slow and my breathing become more even as I focused on just myself, not letting any of my worries reach me.

I felt a surge in my chest, a surge of power. I felt it envelope me, I felt it take over, I felt it mix with my blood.

I opened my eyes. Marcus stared at me with wonder, making me curious. "What?"

"Look at the rock," he breathed.

Sure enough, looking at the rock was a good idea. When I had first sat on it, it was square-ish and bulky. Now I sat on a completely flat rock, yet I hadn't moved. The rock had changed.

"What in the world?" I mumbled to myself, my mind absent.

"You can shift things!" Marcus laughed in awe. "You're just like me- you're graced with more than one power!"

I felt my body begin to tremble, the panic hitting me at full force. I was changing...and I wasn't sure I liked it.

* ݤ *

I walked along the beach with Kathy, just the two of us talking. Travis had thrown a hissy fit, saying how he didn't know anyone and how he didn't want to be around a bunch of nerds. Little did he know that half of the people here could kill him without touching him.

He was now enjoying himself, though. Marcus took him under his wing and finally Travis wasn't being such a baby.

"Does..." Kathy started but she didn't need to finish.

"Yes, Kathy, I know he likes you! I just don't know why he isn't asking you out..."

She linked our arms and we continued to walk, our toes being caressed by the softness of wet sand. The sun was setting and I had been wet, but thanks to a local bathroom, I was changed and warm. I was wearing a yellow baseball t-shirt (the ones with the sleeves that go to your elbow and they're colored and the rest is white) and a pair of navy blue sweatpants. My hair was wet, but I felt so comfortable I could probably just go to sleep right here.

I yawned and Kathy laughed at me. "What?" I scoffed.

"You look tired...I bet babysitting that Travis kid is a tough job."

"Only when he throws hissy fits," I laughed back. "I'm surprised that Josh didn't just kill him! But I guess it's alright...Like last night. We actually got along for a few minutes."

"He's a cutie," she winked.

"I know that," I said nonchalantly. "But I couldn't care less."

I do care, though. Travis IS the cutest guy I know, even if his jackass attitude takes away from that. He always wears his hair disheveled, the brown hair always a beautiful mess. His eyes are a wonderful brown as well, like molten chocolate swimming around in a circle. Travis' body is built, but not overly so- it's toned just enough to be considered godly perfection. His smile makes any girl weak in the knees, especially with those adorable dimples.

But that's just what I've been told.

"He's a catch," she said as she looked at me with her peripheral vision. I just snorted and rolled my eyes.

"I saw him sucking faces with this girl Olivia, someone I used to go to school with. She's the trashiest girl I know, making HIM the most revolting guy I know. He's a jackass, a bastard like no other."

"So you hate him?" Her tone was disbelieving.

"That's the understatement of the year."

* ݤ *

I sat beside Marcus around the fire. Everyone was roasting marshmallows and talking and laughing. I myself was laughing at one of Marcus' ridiculous jokes.

"OK, here's another one," he began. "A man walks into a bar. 'Ouch' he says."

I chuckled to myself and bumped into him playfully. "You are so stupid," I giggled.

"But it was funny!" he defended himself mockingly.

"Whatever," I smiled. I grabbed another marshmallow and put it in the fire, looking up just a tad. That's when I noticed Travis looking at me. Before he shifted his gaze, our eyes locked for one, intimate moment. I gasped under my breath; the intensity in those eyes had unnerved me.

The next time I looked up, he was staring at Kathy with a smirk. I felt a pang of jealousy, but I tried shaking it away as he got up to sit next to her. I refocused on Marcus, but I couldn't help but notice their 'innocent' flirting.

* ݤ *

"Can you get one of your friends to take you home?" Ashley asked me over the phone.

The stars twinkled above, all the signs of the sun completely vanished. A small wind was picking up, but with my wind breaker, I enjoyed the coolness of the night. Our fire was dying in the distance, everyone still chatting around it, but I was back on the rocks. The gentle sounds of the waves threatened to lull me to sleep as I talked to Ash.

"Yeah, I think so. Does Travis need a ride also?"

"If no one minds."

I had a sinking feeling that Kathy wouldn't mind. "Does he need to be dropped off at our house, or his?"

"Their parents aren't home either and Chad is still responsible." She was beating around the bush.

"Alright. When can I expect you home?"

"Um...Probably in an hour or so."

In my mind, I knew she meant not until tomorrow, but I didn't say anything. "OK, well if I can't get a ride, I'll call you. Bye."

"Bye Sadie! Thanks!"

I hung up the phone and made my way back to the fire. I sat down beside Kathy and leaned over to whisper in her ear. "Would you mind giving me and Romeo a ride home?"

I heard her chuckle at my nickname. "Sure," she smiled. "Just let me know when you're ready."

I was ready now but I wasn't going to be rude. I smiled and nodded my head, grabbing another marshmallow in the process.

* ݤ *

If you're wondering, Kathy lied to get her license. I helped her lie about her age, and with her amazing motor skills, she aced the test.

I didn't get mine for two reasons: I wouldn't have passed and I didn't have a car in the first place.

I looked out the window and watched the trees fly past me in a blur. The street lights along with Kathy's car's lights were the only illumination I had, but I wouldn't remove my eyes from the outside world. Hearing them was enough, let alone having to watch them.

Kathy and Travis were flirting like no other. It was irritating, having to listen to her suddenly annoying giggles and his flirtatious comebacks. I wanted to throw up, but I mostly felt...betrayed.

Marcus and Kathy liked each other so much, and here she was flirting with a guy she didn't know before tonight. And not just any guy- the guy I hated the most.

Or did I hate him?

I honestly couldn't tell anymore. One moment I hated him, and the next I was jealous that he was flirting with her. I was also suddenly jealous with Kathy's beauty- she had gorgeous blonde hair, almond shaped emerald eyes, and tanned, smooth skin. She was the ideal girl for any guy. She was beautiful, along with amazing athletic abilities. I had never been this jealous of her.

In the window's reflection of me, I saw one little drop of water glisten down my cheek. I rubbed it away and forced all my thoughts of them out of my head. I couldn't, and I wouldn't, cry over something so stupid.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I took it out and noticed it was from Marcus.

*Are you ok?*

*Yeah, why wouldn't I be?* I texted him back.

*I can read minds, Sadie.*

I suddenly knew that he knew. *How much do you know?*

*You're jealous*

*Of who, though?*

*Kathy.*

*You should hear them flirting!* I sent the text, but immediately wished I hadn't.

*She's flirting back?*

*Yeah...*

*>:''(*

*Sorry :''(*

*Not your fault. So you like him?*

*Ugh, I don't know anymore!*

*Well, that answers some of your doubts.*

*How?!*

*You like him enough to not know. That should say something*

He was right. I liked Travis enough NOT to know, which meant I DID know. I didn't hate him anymore, but I don't know how that had suddenly changed. Was it because I knew he had been lying last night?

--> Should I keep going? Or am I wasting my time? <--

Continue Reading