Chromium

By Crovaxlo

Corporal Dia Zephyr assumed it was just another drill, no more than a Navy tradition, a rite of passage for t... More

Beacon
Chapter 1
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
3.1
3.2
Author's note
4.1
4.2
4.3
4.4
5.1
5.2
6.1
6.2
7.1
7.2
7.3
8.1
8.2
8.3
8.4
9.1
9.2
9.3
10.1
10.2
10.3
10.4
10.5
11.1
11.2
11.3
11.4
11.5
11.6
12.1
12.2
12.3
12.4
12.5
13.0
13.1
13.3
13.4
13.5
13.6
13.7
14.1
14.2
14.3
14.4
14.5
14.6
15.1
15.2
15.3
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 16.3
Chapter 16.4
Chapter 16.5
Chapter 16.6
Chapter 16.7
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Chapter 17.3
Chapter 17.4
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 18.3
Chapter 18.4
Chapter 19.1
Chapter 19.2
Chapter 19.3
Chapter 19.4
Chapter 20
Epilogue

13.2

1.1K 165 6
By Crovaxlo

First draft

The bridge was dead-quiet. Evidently, what had happened in that gloomy, claustrophobic room still lingered in their hearts. Maybe that's why one of the people responsible for this mess was nowhere to be seen. Dia looked around the Bridge, her eyes falling on Rodriguez, but the mercenary just shrugged. 

"Now that we cleared that up, let's move on." Reyes sounded satisfied, even a bit smug, "As you well know, the Gaerius system is on the other side of the galaxy. Even if we push the hyperdrive to the limits, we'll need more than ten hours to reach it. After that, we'll still have to go through the nebula. Without Hyperdrive, it will take us two days to get there."

"That's incorrect, captain." Oddly, Mitchell's unemotional voice lightened the mood, "At maximum impulse, it will take us two days, four hours, eighteen minutes..."

"Thank you, Mitchell." Reyes interrupted her, his mouth twitching, "My point is, we don't have much time. We can't hesitate." His voice rose,  becoming more powerful and magnetic - the voice of a leader, "The next days will be fundamental for the future of humanity."

"Humanity? For the Empire, you mean." One of the pirates, probably the bravest of them, argued.

"Right." Reyes nodded as he expected it, "Many of you believe this has nothing to do with us, but let me tell you something...you're wrong.  Those guys from the Collective are not like us. They don't think like us. They are aliens and the human race attacked them. That's what they know, that's the only thing that matters to them. They will retaliate and when they do, the Empire will crumble into dust." He glanced at Dia, "It's inevitable."

"About time." A pirate grunted, and many men nodded, "Let it burn!"

"But they won't stop there." Reyes added and the pirates froze, "Let me say this again, they are not humans. They don't give a fuck about the Empire or the Syndicate - it's all the same for them. They won't stop until we all are dead. Because that's what this is really about. A war for survival." Reyes let out a long sigh, "Whether you like it or not, we are all involved in this."

The pirates looked nervous, their voices merging into a chorus of whispers.   

"I know you have doubts, especially after what happened on Daxum. Probably you're wondering what the Umbra is really planning, but everything he has done so far was in preparation for this precise moment. Our mission is that important. Any question?" He asked, but the room was eerily quiet, "...well then. Eat, drink a glass of widka and go to sleep. Dismissed." 

One by one, all the people left the Bridge. Reyes was about to do the same when Dia stopped him, "Reyes, wait..."

"Dia, I know you want to talk about Suzanne, but this is not a good time." He sounded a little edgy, a line itched between his brows.

Dia surveyed him for a moment before raising her hands, "Fine, that can wait. But Reyes," She gave him a worried glance, "About the deadline..."

"Don't worry, Dia. I'm sure the Umbra will make an exception..." His mouth curved into a smile, "...as long as we catch Gibson, of course."

Then he was gone. 

Dia was still looking at his retreating back when Rodriguez said, "Wow," The mercenary fanned herself, "The men in this ship are very intense. And hot, did I mention hot?"

Dia forced a smile, "I'm sorry, but weren't you...?"
"Gay? I just prefer women. Why?" She narrowed her eyes, "Is that a problem?"
"No, I..." She scrunched up her face, shifting from one foot to another, "...not exactly."

"But I make you uncomfortable." Rodriguez insisted.

"You're can be...very straightforward." Dia admitted, "I need some time to get used to it."
Rodriguez scrutinized her for a while, but eventually, she shrugged, "Right, I forgot that you lived in the Empire. That explains it."

Dia raised an eyebrow, "Explains it?"
"Yeah, you know, marriage is between a man and a woman, and crap like that." She gesticulated, emulating the so-called PDE---Public decency officers----perfectly, "In the Empire, they are not exactly tolerant toward people like me."

Her expression sobered, "No, they are not."
Homosexuality was still a crime in the Empire, and the re-educational camps were the main reason nobody came out of the closet. Ever. Subliminal messages, pain/reward system and a cocktail of unsanctioned drugs and old-school torture,  were the methods used to turn the so-called sexual deviants into productive members of society. The fact that the treatment often resulted in a complete loss of empathy and turned the subjects into psychopaths was deemed completely acceptable.

"Anyway, be careful." Rodriguez continued, "Having two hot guys chasing you isn't necessarily a good thing," She winked at her, "especially if you live together."

Dia gaped, "Two...what?"
Rodriguez smirked at her, "You know, One-eyed brooding guy and tall, dark and dangerous."
Reyes and Omen?
Dia started shaking her head, "No, wait. I think you misunder..."
"Sweetheart," Rodriguez gave her a knowing smile, "I see the way they look at you. Trust me, I know. They can't wait to drag you to their room, chain you to the bed and have their way with you."

Dia gawked at her, completely speechless.

"Then, of course, they'll go back to treating you like you're made of glass," Rodriguez let out a sigh, continuing as if nothing happened, "That's why I prefer girls. You're probably much stronger than them but they still think they have to protect you."

"Believe me, Rodriguez." Dia replied when she finally managed to come back to her senses, "It's not like you think."

"Nah, I'm sure. Still, alpha males like them...it's strange they haven't made a move yet." She looked at her from her to toe, "Or maybe they already did."

"It's complicated." Dia deflected, "We have a past, Reyes and I. And Omen..."She trailed off.

Rodriguez studied her for a while before nodding, "Well, now it's all clear. They are just afraid."

" Afraid? Omen and Reyes?" Dia sounded incredulous, "Afraid of what?"

"That you'll say no. They are defending their pride." She shook her head, "Guys are all the same. Take Willis, for example. Usually, he is a cutie pie, but when something scares him, he behaves like a total asshole. By the way, if he ever does that to you, just whack him over the head, or tell me and I will do it for you." She winked at her, "I like hitting guys."

Dia laughed, "Duly noted."

"No sweat." Rodriguez said with that winning smile of hers.

She had almost reached the door when she halted, turning her head to look at her, "By the way... what do you think about this op?"

Dia's smile faded, "Frankly, I don't know what to think. We don't have enough intel."

 "Yeah. We basically know nothing at all. Do you..." Rodriguez moistened her lips, showing hesitation for the first time, "...do you think Willis is right?"

"Knowing Gibson, I wouldn't be surprised." Dia admitted, "Maybe he is already waiting for us. He and his army of synthetics." 

Only when Rodriguez's eyes went round she understood what she had done.

"Synthetics? You mean, mechs?!"

Dia covered her mouth with her hands.

"It's a bit late for that, don't you think?" Rodriguez asked, putting her hands on her hips, "Answer me, Dia. What do you mean with synthetics?"

Dia sighed, "I don't know what they are exactly. Gibson's tin cans are less advanced than Mechs but...yeah, they look pretty similar."

Rodriguez glanced up at the ceiling and cursed, "Hijo de puta. Sucio bastardo, manipulador..."She kept spitting curses until she was completely out of breath.

"I didn't mean to hide it from you." Dia sounded apologetic.

"No, it's..." She panted, "not...your fault. But maybe Willis is right this time. Maybe we should just leave."

Dia gave her a bitter laugh, "Oh, I understand the feeling.  Believe me, I'd like nothing more than to run away."
Rodriguez squinted her eyes, "But? Because there is a but, isn't it?"
"But..." She took in a deep breath, "...the Umbra threatened to send a load of Spice to my Homeworld if I don't bring Gibson back to Daxum." She confessed, "I have three days left."

Rodriguez looked at her with sympathy, "Yeah, I saw the video. He could easily do that." She seemed to mull it over a little while, "I still don't like this."

"Tell me about it." Dia whispered, "Maybe Omen is right. Maybe I'm just going with the flow."

"I see nothing wrong with that." Rodriguez said.

Dia lifted her head, "What do you mean?"

"Have you ever tried swimming against the tide? It's exhausting."

"Maybe." She forced a smile, "But this lack of control...make me feel inconsequential, just a small pawn in a much bigger game."

"Sweetheart, we all are pawns. Besides," She grinned at her, "you're not inconsequential. Trust me on that."

"Thank you, Rodriguez." Dia returned the grin. Rodriguez' smile was contagious.

"You're welcome. Now...I think I'll follow the Captain's advice and take that drink. What about you? Do you want to join me?"

Dia looked surprised, "What about Willis?"
"Don't worry about him. He'll be in his room, licking his wounds. Like I said, guys and their pride." She shook her head, "Anyway, what do you want to do? Have you decided?"

"Sorry but I..." She nibbled on her bottom lip, "...I don't think it's a good idea."

Rodriguez just shrugged, "Suit yourself."

"Than..." Dia paused, completely forgetting what she was about to say. 

She felt like someone was watching her and turned her head just to find herself staring at Omen's face. Her pulse slammed in her neck, her body trembling with fury and shame. Shame, because despite her rage, she could feel that her body was begging for his touch.

"You know what?" She said to Rodriguez, "I'll take that drink."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183 20 11
𝕊𝕖𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕠𝕟 𝕄𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕝𝕒𝕟, 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕘𝕖𝕥𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕥 𝕚𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕘𝕒𝕝𝕒𝕩𝕪 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕠𝕦𝕥𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕖...
344 37 22
Nobody said Rock Hauling would be easy. Throughout settled space, terraforming is the fuel that drives the interstellar economy. For some worlds, thi...
10.7K 1.1K 19
Mercenary life is rough, especially for the Eagle X team. Wanted by galactic governments and clandestine organizations, eking out a living seems har...
61.4K 2.5K 45
Dedicated to Intrepid_Fate. HIGHEST RANKING: #217 SCIENCEFICTION, #384 WAR Michael Dragomir starts out life as anything but the typical human. Early...