mercury

By whiterose1348

A story on how an angry boy falls in love with a cheerful girl. More

1
3
4
5
6
7
8

2

9.2K 355 94
By whiterose1348

    Mercury was riding around the neighborhood with her baby pink cruiser bike she got last Christmas. She was delivering party invitations for her 10nth birthday party. She was extremely excited for it as she was entering double digits. Her mother told her to hand out invitations to everyone in the neighborhood plus five people of her choice. Her mother always says to invite a lot of people because not everyone will arrive.

Mercury was getting most of the neighborhood. She was then riding to Donovan's house. Although Donovan was usually quiet and rude towards her she enjoyed his company. He was always so mysterious, no one would ever know what he was thinking or feeling. That was more then enough to draw her in. She was a curious kid and wanted to know everything about everyone. She was always happy so the rude comments Donovan would say never really hurt her.

She was in front of Donovan's yard, ready to deliver the envelope of invitation. She walked up the wooden steps to the porch and knocked on the door. It took a couple knocks till someone answered. Donovan answered the door with some sweats and a grey Nike shirt.

"What do you want," spat Donovan looking at Mercury in the eye. He was fourteen and she was ten so there was obviously a height difference.

"Here, your invited to my party. There's gonna be cake, music, games, and I get to wear a tiara!" Mercury rambled happily as she gave him the pink enveloped filled with stars and the number ten. Mercury was the type of girl to get happy over any little thing. Meanwhile she was rambling, Donovan was seeing how wonderfully decorated the envelope was.

"Oh and they'll also be a bouncy house." Mercury said with a smile. "You and Alec should come, if you get bored they'll at least be cake." Mercury said trying to convince him to come. Mercury really wanted Donovan to come because she thought he was her friend. Mercury was friends with everyone in town, or so she thought. She was so overjoyed and happy with everyone she thought they felt the same way about her.

"Alright, I'll go to your dumb party. But, only because I feel bad for you and I want cake. We're only staying for about an hour because we'll look dumb at a ten year old's birthday party." Donovan replied. Donovan was actually waiting for her to give him an invitation. He knew her birthday was coming up and was wondering on what to get her. Everyone in town was talking  about her birthday, since everyone adored her. He was actually fearful if she didn't invite him, although he and Alec would of crashed it anyway.

Mercury was now heading her way out of Donovan's house and the young girl was joyfully riding her bike. Donovan then went back inside since she went off to drop of the rest of the invitations. Donovan looked at the envelope and saw that the party was in three days. He felt extreme pressure since he didn't have a gift for her yet.

He grabbed his house keys, his beloved skateboard and some money. He was heading off to the mall to try getting her a decent gift. He started thinking on what to get her. He went to the nearest and only mall in town. Another reason why he hated this town was because when he went outside of his house he was bound to see someone who knew him.

In town Donovan, was seen as a delinquent. Donovan was the son parents hoped to not raise. Every time he left his home people would stare at him. Stare because of rumors always circulating the young boy. Rumors such as him using drugs, him being part of a gang, and him dropping out of school despite only being 14. Of course he didn't care about other peoples opinions, since growing up he was always the black sheep of the town.

Always the different one

  Donovan then entered the store and all eyes where on him. Everyone kept their eyes on him thinking he would steal. He simply gave hem a dirty look and continued shopping. He went to he girls section and was wondering on what he could get her. He honestly felt like this was the most difficult task he's ever had in his entire life. He wanted to get her something nice but not too nice sine it'll be a weird gift coming from him. He started over thinking on what the outcome of the gift can have.

  He started biting his nails. Something he rarely does since he rarely gets worried. He's usually emotionless and never worried. Biting his nails was a sign of worry and stress. The two predominant emotions he was now feeling. He started walking all over the store, he left the store entered another then left that one. He was extremely stressful on what to get her. He had no idea what she'll like.

  He searched and searched. Until he found a possible gift. He got the supplies for the gift. He quickly got home and started working on it. He planned on making her a basket full of stuff she likes. The basket included all the candy she loved, he placed some toys, stick on tattoos and all the other possible stuff a girl like her would enjoy. He felt like this gift was perfect since it wasn't too much and was on the little side. The gift was also under budget, so he thought it was a steal.

A couple days passed and his grades came in the mail. Donovan was next to the mailbox trying to hide the grades but his mother got to them before he could. He knew for a fact he was in big trouble. Although, he was labeled as a delinquent he felt ashamed for having bad grades. He knew if he tried, he could get decent grades in school. He simply just didn't have motivation to get good grades despite his mother telling him constantly about college.

"What the fuck is this. How the fuck do you have a D in P.E." His mother yelled at him. "Your in high school now, this shit will count for your college," she yelled angrily. She was going off at him and Donovan didn't show any emotion. He couldn't, he honestly had no respect for any of his parents, including his mother. Not because of the divorce but because of what caused their divorce.

Donovan simply blocked out her screaming and yelling since she was always screaming and yelling at him. Saying he won't be anything in life. Saying it so many times that he was starting to believe it. Donovan was slowly becoming more and more insecure as the days passed.

"Donovan your not fucking listening to me. Are you high? That's fucking it your grounded, your not going outside this shit hole for a whole month. Get used to these walls because your gonna be inclosed in them. What a disappointment you were, I regret you." She yelled one last one before storming out. He was heated. He was beyond pissed. He didn't do shit and he's getting in trouble for nothing. He was also angry because he didn't have enough time to respond to that.

She always thinks he's on some type of drug. Instead of waiting for him to answer, she always jumps to conclusions.

  He stormed into his room and slammed the door. He then saw the basket sitting on his bed with a pink ribbon around it. 'Fuck' he thought. How is he suppose to go to Mercury's party, it was tomorrow. He knew he was going to go regardless being grounded. The question was how was he going to go and when. How would he sneak into the party without much people noticing and telling his mother.

It's not that he was scared of his mother it's that he didn't want to get kicked out of the house. His mother had kicked him out of the house numerous of times. He hated getting kicked out cuz he had no where to go. If he was lucky he would sleep at Alec's parents basement with only Alec knowing.

He decided he would sneak out at around 8:30 when the party is coming to an end. Mercury's house wasn't that far, just a couple of blocks down. A fifteen minute walk at most.

     It was 7:45 and he was trying to figure out what to wear. He had to hurry if he wanted to make it to the party. Mercury doesn't stay up very late and he really wanted to give her the present although it wasn't much.

    After finally finding what to wear and getting ready the time came to sneak out. His mother was at the party but would be coming back home in about an hour since she was going to do a late night errand. He texted his mom to bring some eggs since there weren't any.

    He locked his bedroom door and started making his way to the window. The reason why he didn't leave through his front door if no one was home was because he wanted to make it seem as if he was asleep in his room. He just felt better sneaking out if he locked his bedroom door and went through the window.

    He was out of the house with a little jump. He quickly started his way towards Mercury's house. He couldn't ride his skateboard since being grounded meant have no board or phone.

  He made it to Mercury's house and the party seemed to be over. The front yard was empty with only the bouncy house being deflated. There was some balloons as well. He started making his way towards her front door. He knocked on it a couple of times till her mother answered.

   "Oh sorry dear but the party is over. You can come by tomorrow to see Mercury." Sarah offered as she saw the boys face.

     " Where's Mercury? I have to talk to her and I have her gift. Can I please speak to Mercury for a moment, it will be quick I swear," said Donovan pleadingly. He desperately wanted to see Mercury for her birthday. He didn't want to let her down after telling her he'll be there.

   "Alright dear, come inside it's chilly. She's in her room, and she's getting ready to go to sleep," Sarah said. We walked towards a pink door that said Mercury and had all the planets around it with a couple of stars. Sarah knocked softly on the door. Little Mercury then opened the door and her eyes widened when she saw Donovan.

  Before she could speak Donovan spoke out of nervousness. He didn't quite understand why he would be nervous but he was.

  "I ugh got you a gift." he said awkwardly putting the gift towards her. She smiled immediately and said a thank you. She put the gift on her bed without opening it and Donovan walked in the room. Mercury's mother, Sarah has a knowingly look in her and smiled at Donovan.

     "It's getting late so hurry up and talk to her. I'll come back in around ten minutes." Sarah said while she walked out of the room leaving, Donovan and Mercury alone.

     "Why didn't you come, there was a bouncy house and cake. Here you can keep my slice," Mercury said and gave him some chocolate cake. The cake had a strawberry on top of it. Mercury had just given him a slice of cake that was meant for her. He greatly appreciated the cake she gave him, no one has ever cared enough about him to give him something. He just simply was never treated nicely. Mercury treated everyone with kindness, including Donovan. Something found hard to believe.

    "Thanks, open the gift I got you." Said Donovan. He felt extremely weird since he's never been alone with Mercury. He's always spoken to her in front of other people so he didn't really know how to act. Mercury then nodded her head and turned around to open the gift. The basket contained a pink dinosaur, her favorite chocolate, some little brackets. The basket also contained a necklace. The necklace had one letter, M. Her eyes held so much happiness as she looked into Donovan's  dull eyes. Donovan felt like he should of gotten her something better as he looked around her room. Her room was full of nice gifts.

    "Thank you I love it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She said happily as she jumped onto Donovan giving him a hug. Donovan was caught off guard and stumbled back a bit. He hugged her back and caught a whiff of her strawberry scent. He felt like a creep so he pushed her off.

   "Alright bye loser, you got to go to sleep." He said trying to seem mean as he's suppose to be. He didn't want to affectionate to anyone, not even Mercury. Donovan always had walls around him. He never wants anyone to get too close to him. He doesn't deserve to be treated the way Mercury treats him. He isn't going to be anything in life while Mercury will.

Donovan left the house and was late in coming home. His mother found out he sneaked out and kicked him out. He honestly just didn't care anymore. He was done with everything for a while. He honesty wanted to leave town for a bit. He just didn't know where to go. But he knew that one day he will leave and he won't come back to this town full of judge mental people.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

855 92 11
A collection of short stories with hurt 😢 ,Pain , love , regret, second chance, and many more Peak in to know more 🥳❤️❤️❤️😘😘
26 0 13
Various tales, beginnings and endings in between my main loves....... Small town woes
1.2K 87 26
Just a girl wanting to survive high school ends up being the tragedy of the town.
1.8K 60 20
Just another little story for all the lonely bitches out there <3 #6 - trope #10 - onebed #29 - cure #1- friend group