A Drop Of Petrichor [Complete]

By AimmyB

Sometimes all the parched valley of heart needs is a drop of Petrichor. Noor Fatimah hasn't had it easy but s... More

Before You Start
Character Aesthetics
A Glimpse
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 [Last]
Epilogue
Thank You Note
Bonus # 1
Bonus # 2
Bonus # 3
Bonus # 4
News
A snippet and a thank you
From me to you, all the love

Chapter 32

10.3K 757 861
By AimmyB

It was a Sunday full of activity at Khan residence. Saliha had specially invited her son and daughter in law over dinner. It had been few weeks since that mishap. Things had gotten normal. Noor was doing better and was not back to her normal routine. Things had fallen in place. It was calm and peaceful. And Saliha hoped it would stay the same.

She wanted to have a family day so inviting Noor and Rayyan was the best idea. Noor had come there after breakfast while Rayyan had promised he would once he got free after attending an important meeting. Meetings on Sundays were a norm of Khan men. Typical workaholics.

"So graduation is nearing, hun?"

Noor asked making herself comfortable on the couch. They had ample of time before starting with dinner preps so it was good to catch up with each other.

"Yes, Just two more months and then I'll be a free bird."

"Where you are applying for Masters?"

Abeer thought for a while.

"I have few options but that's depend on what advice dad and bhai give me. Let's see. I'm going to rely on them because I have no idea when it comes to matters like these."

Noor nodded. She was well aware of how Abeer was a baby for Hammad. And Rayyan wasn't far behind when it came to babying Abeer. Both were hell bent upon spoiling an already spoilt brat. These were Rohail's word said in pure jealousy. Noor chuckled remembering the numerous banters of the siblings on how Rayyan was biased towards Abeer. And it wasn't like he denied it. With a raised eye brow he just looked at Rohail as if challenging him to do what he could about it. Rohail just huffed in response.

But that didn't mean Rohail and Rayyan weren't the brother duo. They were. Both could make each other understand things in a way that always left Noor in awe. Rayyan was so good with his family. This was the picture he always needed. He fitted in just fine. Because he was a part of it.

Her and Rayyan's own relation had gotten something she could easily describe as nothing but happiness in its truest form. They were in love. They both knew. They had told each other. And now there was no looking back. The last few weeks had been such a bliss. Rayyan was Rayyan and she was the same Noor but still something had shifted. Something which only came with their increased physical intimacy. They were closer than ever. That first kiss had opened something intense. Started something she'd never experienced before.

She knew what came with marriage. This was given. But still she had never thought kissing Rayyan Ahmed Khan would make so many butterflies dance in her stomach. He was a need she never knew was there in her. And she always wanted more.

The unusual thing was, in this equation, he was the hesitant one. He was hesitant to kiss her. And now whenever they got close he'd always look into her eyes seeking a permission he knew would always be granted to him. Holding her like she was made of glass. Would break with just little bit of roughness.

They were still on the kissing bases yet. It was going slow. Just like everything in their relation but Noor liked it this way. She knew they still needed time. She was waiting for Rayyan. For him to lead and she'd follow. No matter what.

"Noor?"

Saliha's voice brought her out of her own musings.

"Yes, Auntie?"

"I need your opinion on something."

Noor sat straight seeing the serious yet excited look on Saliha's face. She glanced at Abeer who just shrugged her shoulders indicating she also had no clue what was to happen.

"I think it's time we start thinking about Rohail's marriage."

Noor raised an eye brow.

"That's a good idea but do you have anyone in your mind?"

'Actually, I do."

"And who's that?"

Saliha smiled fondly and whispered.

"Zirwa."

Both Noor and Abeer looked shocked. Zirwa and Rohail? The two people who had argued more times in their time together than Noor could count on her fingers? The two people who were for each other's necks the moment they met. Being an optimist was good but Saliha was overdoing it.

"Aunti...Are you sure? I don't mean to be rude but don't you think they both are always ...always.."

"Out for each other's blood. To kill each other with their bare hands. That's what she wants to say, Mom. And where is the lie? You surely need a reality check."

Abeer completed for Noor making her sigh. This was what she wanted to say. Thank you, Abeer.

"Now, now. It's not that bad."

"Mom, they can't stand each other."

"They couldn't stand each other but lately there has been a change."

"Now they want to kill each other?"

Abeer asked confused making Saliha throw a sharp look in her way.

"Now they are spending time with each other. Meeting occasionally. I know. And Rameen also knows. That's why we came up with this idea. We think this is the best thing that can happen to our friendship. Her daughter in my house as my daughter. How amazing that would be? Also Zirwa is perfect. She's Noor's best friend which is also a plus point and I don't know about you, Abeer but I have seen the connection they have. Rohail and Zirwa. I think this should happen."

Noor pondered upon Saliha's words. Was there really more to what they all were used to seeing when it came to Rohail and Zirwa. Noor couldn't deny the possibility. Anything could happen. If Rayyan and she could, any relationship was possible.

"Have you talked to Rohail?"

Noor had asked hoping to know more.

"I haven't yet. That's what I wanted to have your opinion about. Should I?"

"If you think that there's something going on and you want it to happen then there's nothing wrong in asking him. He might tell you if this can go further or not which would be a good thing."

"Exactly!"

Saliha was looking all more hopeful knowing he had someone else's view about this as well.

"But Bhabhi..."

Abeer tried to cut in but Noor just shook her head.

"Your mom is right. May be we should open our minds about this. Some equation aren't meant to stay the same all life."

Abeer chuckled mischievously.

"Experience talking?"

Noor smiled.

"You can say. Now let's get to the kitchen because you are going to learn the desi cooking you once asked me to."

She held Abeer's hand and made her way towards the kitchen. Saliha just smiled seeing them talking like long lost friends. She had a motherly bond with this girl who'd proved to be the best thing that had ever happened to their family.

____________________________

The feeling of getting back to a family after a tiring day was new to Rayyan. It had always been just him. There were nights he had spent on his chair working with complete dedication. There was a carelessness to his stance because there was no one waiting back home. He went or not, it didn't matter.

But not anymore.

He had a wife who'd be worried if he got even five minutes late. He had a full fledged family who'd be waiting for him because he had promised to be there at dinner.

Life comes in strange ways.

He smiled as the guard of Khan residence greeted him. Coming inside he found both his father and brother engrossed in a discussion.

"Asslam Alaikum."

He took his seat next to Hammad.

"Wa Alaikum Asslam. How was your day?"

"Fine. The deal is also signed. I can breathe in relief now."

"Told you, bhai. Your figures were nice. Only a fool would refuse to something like that. And as far as I know the other group, they are no fools."

Rayyan nodded knowing too well how right Rohail was. His brother and father had such a firm belief in his business acumen. He had no clue before but now he knew. They were so proud of what he had made all on his own. Without any help.

He was expecting his father to be wry with him about what he'd done with Khalil Agha. Hammad had always told them since there childhood that having enemies in business world sometimes backfires. But Rayyan had to do what he had to do. Agha had hit hard and in no way he was getting away with it.

But to his surprise, his father hadn't shown much displeasure. He was actually amused at how Rayyan had pulled the strings and bought the members of Agha's company board of directors. But Rayyan wasn't in this business for nothing. He knew how to lure the big magnets. Money works wonders and he had that in abundance.

"Where is everyone?"

He looked around finding the women of the family.

"Abeer is in dining area setting the table. And no! Do not look at me like this. I offered to help but she refused. Mom is in her room talking to Nani. She'd reached safely."

Rayyan nodded feeling a bit dejected on not having Nani around. She was his favourite in the family. Everyone knew.

He got up knowing too well with everyone else busy in their own thing, Noor must be in the kitchen. He ignored the suggestive look Rohail had thrown his way. Bloody ass.

His notion was right as always. She was giving final touch to some desi dessert he didn't know the name of. But she didn't need to know that or else he'd definitely get a disapproving look. He was working on his desi cuisine knowledge. But he wasn't a pro at it. Not even close.

He stood behind her when she spoke busily.

"Wa Alaikum Asslam."

"I was going to greet you."

She turned towards him and smiled wholeheartedly. The smile which would always make his heart skip a beat. It still felt unreal sometimes. Having a woman you once pined after right in front of you. In love with you. Just like you were in love with her. This feeling could never be expressed in words. Her confession was a memory he was holding onto till the eternity they had together. How pure it was. How genuine and how much it had affected him.

Those days were also something he'd never forget. She was all fine and healthy now. The wound was healing and now only a forming scar was being left on her light brown skin. But the scar that experienced had left on him would stay. He had learnt a lesson. Never to shut her out again. She needed to be reassured just like she had always reassured him. It was no point in bottling things up when you could share them with the person who'd never judge you. Who would always be with you. For you. Noor was that person of his life and he was that person of her life. Together they were taking new steps in their relationship. And there was nothing they'd like to change.

"How was your day?"

She had asked loosening his tie around his neck. He wound his arms around her waist and inhaled in her scent.

Home and everything nice. Everything his heart had and everything it would ever crave.

"Nice. The deal is ours."

"I knew it! That's why I have made sweets."

He looked at the tray she was setting them into.

"Really? But I think I know something which is sweeter than these and which is exclusively for me."

She raised an eye brow.

"You are going to start putting sugar in your coffee? If you are, I totally support it. That thing needs to see some sugar."

He suppressed his smile and came closer.

"Nah. Wrong guess. You still have to work on your guessing game, wife. I win. Again."

She clutched the front of his shirt feeling his warm breath on her face. His aftershave was becoming one of her favourite scents in the world. She closed her eyes feeling his lips making their way to her temple and going down at the side of her face. A shiver ran down her whole being. His touch would always have this effect on her.

She tilt her head sideways. His lips were just an inch away from hers.

"Bhai is in the kitchen and he's not alone. So I suggest you stay where you are if you don't want to get scarred for life."

Abeer's voice hit their ears making them come out of their trance. Noor immediately pushed him turning back to her previous task. Rayyan just shook his head at both his family's madness and his wife's shyness. She had her moments being demanding as well. He was still not sure which side he loved more.

Chuckling to himself he made his way out of the kitchen and sure enough Haseeb was standing, leaning against the pillar few feet away.

"I need a glass of water."

"Do I look like a water tank to you? Go and help yourself."

"Easy there, tiger. I was just going."

He passed Rayyan not before whispering loud enough.

"I'm never interrupting your me and my wife time again. Sorry bud."

Rayyan couldn't stop the small laugh leaving his lips.

________________________________

"I'm still not sure about auntie's idea."

He had said as they both lay down on their sides of the bed. Saliha had talked to Rayyan about Rohail and Zirwa as well. And Noor knew he was not very fond of the idea.

"Why?"

"Why? They are always trying to murder each other. Imagine the bloodshed after marriage. That's why."

Noor giggled at the face he'd made while describing the situation to her. Rohail and Zirwa's relationship or lack thereof wasn't hidden from anyone.

"But both Rameen and Saliha auntie aren't going to marry them off first thing in the morning. They just want to know if Rohail and Zirwa are thinking this way or if it's okay to think about them this way. "

Rayyan was in deep thought now. Noor held his hand making him look at her.

"You know, maybe we should wait for what they decide? We also came his far. They can to. If it's written this way, it can happen. "

Rayyan nodded seeing where she was coming from. Rohail and Zirwa sure had a bumpy start to whatever was happening between them but maybe they were ready to try things in a different way. Anything was possible.

"Also, I think I'd love to have my best friend as my sister in law. Imagine us ganging up on you all."

"We are not starting a soap opera here."

He had teased. She shook her head and closed her eyes. Sleep came easy. Like always.

With him. Easy. Always.

_______________________

Rohail knocked at his brother's cabin door with a frown set on his face. He didn't have to wait for long. Hearing a faint approval to come inside, he opened the door.

"Are you busy?"

Rayyan looked up from the document he was reading. Putting it aside he pointed towards the chair in front of him.

"No."

Rohail instantly sat down.

"You must've known it. I'm sure mom would've told you and Bhabhi about it."

"About you and Zirwa?"

"Exactly.

"She has."

"Don't you think she's gone a bit overboard?"

"I don't know. You tell me what you think. That's what I'm more interested in."

Rohail took a deep breath.

"It's all so sudden."

"No one is asking you to get married the first thing tomorrow morning, Rohail."

"I know. But...I just...I never thought of it this way."

Rayyan was silently reading his face. Rohail was not a good liar. He had definitely thought of it this way.

"Do you like her?"

"What?"

"I'm not speaking a foreign language, Rohail. Do you like her?"

Rohail had understood Rayyan had picked on the obvious.

"Yes."

"Then what's the problem?"

"I didn't want the families to get involved right now. It's still so early. We have spent ample of our time fighting and threatening each other. We have just found a mutual understanding. I want to explore it more. You know I don't even know if we are in for a long run or not. "

"And you don't want you mom's expectations to go high because of you and Zirwa won't work out, she'll lost a good friend as well. Bonding will get affected. And you don't want that."

Rohail nodded. Rayyan leaned in his seat looking at his brother with concealed pride. Behind the mask of childishness, there was a man who had so much respect for his relations.

"I'll talk to Saliha auntie. I'll make her understand that this is something you need to do on your own. And she should leave it up to you."

"You will?"

"I'm not the big brother for any reason. I'll take care of it but you promise me that you'll take care of your relationship. Give it your hundred percent and it'll never disappoint you. Just make sure Zirwa Is at the same page as you. You are good then."

Rohail smiled feeling a burden getting off his shoulders. Rayyan won't ever admit it but he was pretty good at his big brother duty. Rohail knew. Abeer knew. Everyone knew.

"You really are a gem, Bhai."

"This much buttering won't get you anywhere."

"Picked right on."

Both brothers shook their heads at each other.

Boys!

___________________

Noor glanced to her side where her husband had just sat down after talking to Saliha. They were here at Khan residence to make Saliha understand what Rohail wanted. Noor was amazed at how they all were trusting Rayyan with this. Saliha, Rohail, Zirwa. All parties involved were relying upon him to be the best handler of this situation and he was proving to be that only. Putting his point across and making everyone agree to what should be done. Like how an elder son and sibling is supposed to do.

"I think it should be their decision. Both of them are adults. I know you want to see them together. We all want that to some extent but let them decide it on their own terms."

Saliha sighed realizing that the prospect of turning her almost two decades old friendship into a relationship was more on her mind than her son's comfort. Rayyan had understood it.

"I think I went overboard, didn't I?"

Rayyan chuckled.

"No. You guys more or less did the same with Noor and me."

Saliha and Hammad both chuckled while Noor looked on suddenly more interested in the ongoing conversation than she already was.

"That was necessary. Pushing you was the only way we could ensure that you do what was to be done."

Rayyan shook his head smiling slightly. His eyes found Noor's who was looking at all of them with curiosity evident in her stance.

Noor was well aware of his life style before she entered into his life story but what happened after that? She had not much information. And she never needed it as well. But right now seeing the faces of her in laws and the kind of soft expressions settled on those, as if they were admiring something she didn't know, made her think of the past which was still not clear to her.

The conversation soon went back to Rohail and Zirwa. It was decided that both families would keep away and let them decide what they thought was best for them. Rayyan had asked both Hammad and Saliha to give it time. Ample of it.

Noor kept on staring at his form as he drove towards their home with full concentration on the road ahead. The thought that had occurred to her during the conversation with Hammad and Saliha, was raising its head again. She wanted to know.

"When did you know you were in love with me?"

She had asked breaking the silence in the car. Rayyan was surely taken aback. If his faltered hold on the steering was an indication.

"What?"

"You told me that you had fallen in love with me when I was away. When did you come to know?"

He sighed. May be it was the time to reveal those things to her he'd never.

"When I was in London visiting my mother's house for the first time."

Noor felt her heart skipping a beat. She knew his emotional attachment to that house.

"How...how did you fall in love with me?"

He chuckled still looking ahead.

"That's quite a story. It had started the day you left in that police van. I was falling in deep. But you know me, don't you? I denied. Like totally brushed off the idea of you. But you were there. Stuck to my mind. Growing on my heart. I thrashed. Fought. Hit. But no. It won't go away. Got myself into a lot of mishaps. But that's when I realized that this wasn't something to fight. It was to be embraced. That's what I did then. With great difficulty. But I did. Only to realize that may be I was way too late. You were never going to be in my life. It was painful. I thought I'll cope but I soon realized I couldn't. Just when I was going to lose all my hopes and accept the fate I thought was mine, you were brought back to my life and rest, you know is history."

He had so casually narrated the precise tale to her. She was just staring at him.

She knew the Rayyan Ahmed Khan. Who was a force to reckon with. He knew what he wanted and always got it. The revenge plan with Regina was still fresh in her mind. How he was always so calculated and composed in what he was doing making him an enigma she'd vowed she'd never want to know.

But her love had unsettled him. How profound it must have been that a man like him had accepted his defeat here. He embraced his feelings for her and even after doing that he didn't think of it as something big. He was always ready to live with just the idea of her. How selfless his love was. Where was the guy who got everything by hook or by crook?

Noor didn't know when he parked the car in their porch or when he started walking towards the gate with her hands enclosed in his. She came to her senses only when they were in their room and he was rolling his sleeves to get start with some office work.

She looked at his tall form standing close to the small table when she reached him in long strides.

"Noor wha..."

She silenced him with a deep kiss on his lips. It was unexpected for him but in just two seconds he had wound his arms around her waist pulling her even closer. The kiss was like their usual. Tender with a passion still making it heated. No one fighting for any dominance. Both just lost in each other forgetting everything around them.

"I love you so much. Always know that."

She had whispered in between their frantic kisses. Rayyan pulled apart and cupped her face. Her gaze was lowered but she didn't have to look up for him to see the sheen of tears forming over her eyes.

"I know love didn't come to me with as much impact as it came to you. But I do love you. So much. I can't imagine even one moment of my life without you. And I do promise you that this is never going to change. You had to go through a lot while loving me but this is going to be so worth it."

"It is worth it. Every second of it. Like just now I got to hear such a beautiful thing from my wife. It only gets better."

Noor chuckled through teary eyes. Rayyan shook his head wiping her tears and ducking his head pulled her in another kiss.

And Noor knew she'd walk away from anything but this.

She was deeply in love with Rayyan Ahmed Khan and she was never coming back.

Never could.

Never would.

___________________________

Zirwa sighed looking at the vast hills stretching as far as her eyes could go.

"You sure know how to make an impression."

Rohail who was picking the basket from the backseat of his car, looked up smiling.

"You can straight come to the point that you are impressed."

"That's not going to happen."

She shook her head getting back to staring at the Margala Hills.

They both had just started warming up to each other when their mothers came with the absurd idea of giving their relationship another name. Zirwa had a feeling they'd get to that phase eventually, but it was way too early for the mothers to think that way. They wanted it to be their own decision. And that's when Rayyan came in as the best elder brother and solved it for them.

It had been few weeks to that and things were going a lot better. Better in a way where she could say she liked Rohail Khan. He wasn't more than that too cool for you guy he had first came out to be. They had their fair share of arguments but still the underlying understanding was what they'd formed over the period of these weeks.

They weren't sure if they were for a long run but it didn't matter either. The only thing that mattered was their happiness. And right now, at this moment, sitting at his car bonnet, waiting for him to set up the lunch, she was happy.

Noor had told her to just let the things go with the flow. And with Rohail they were always in flow. A flow towards happiness she could see and hope to get.

__________________________

The dimly lit room was silent sans the voices of fingers hitting with the keyboard. The light coming out of the monitor screen was falling on the half obscured face of its owner. His eyes were frantically looking over the piece of information he was working so hard to get.

Just few evidences more and he would make his boss so happy. The man would be so proud of his work.

His searching eyes suddenly stopped at a particular information he was looking for. The curling of his lips into a devilish smile was an indication enough that he'd found what he was looking for.

Rayyan Ahmed Khan was going down.

_______________________

Noor had always admired her husband's dedication towards his work but she wasn't very fond of what came with it. Specially business gatherings she'd recently started attending with him. He'd always tag her along. She sometimes refused and sometimes went with him.

This party was not that boring because it was thrown by both Rayyan and Hammad's business associate. Noor had Saliha and Abeer with her to give her company and this was all she wanted. Rayyan was immersed in a serious discussion with his father and the host. Noor took her seat next to Saliha who was introducing her to few of her acquaintances.

Noor hadn't noticed when the seat to her side became empty.

Abeer walked straight to the distant table and tapped on the shoulder of the guy who had the audacity to ignore her even after seeing her.

Haseeb looked to his side and smiled.

"Hi. When did you arrive?"

"Cut the crap. Why are you ignoring me?"

Haseeb frowned.

"I? Ignoring you? No."

"Yes. You are."

Haseeb got up feeling her piercing gaze at him.

"You like doing this don't you. Ignoring me. Teasing me. Everything is a joke right? Good. Stay this way."

"Your brother keeps me neck deep in work. Not my fault."

"Yeah, put the blame on my brother now."

"Okay! I'm sorry. I know I have been an ass. I should've told you that I won't be free for few days. I'm ready to make it up to you."

Abeer made a face but it wasn't easy staying mad at him. She nodded and then smiled lightly.

"So how's your other brother's love story going?"

"Just fine. He's keeping it slow."

"Then he's definitely gone on my boss."

Abeer chuckled.

"If he's gone on him in this department, I can assure you nothing will go wrong in his life story."

Haseeb couldn't deny. They both stayed there for few seconds when Abeer spoke up.

"Everyone's getting settled, taking their love stories further. When will you do something?"

The question was so sudden but it didn't make him nervous. He was expecting it.

"Whenever you want."

Abeer's head shot back towards him. He was grinning in his usual way and then he even winked at her. She shook her head hiding her own grin.

Best things came unexpected.

______________________

Rayyan had seen how she was mingling with the crowd. Usually she'd stay in a corner when he wouldn't be around but tonight she was taking part in conversations which was a good sign. The people in his circle had always admired her calculated, well thought views about anything under the discussion. She also had never felt herself inferior to anyone here. It was just that this wasn't her usual scene. She felt out of place.

The party was almost going to end and it was the time to go back home. He made his way towards the table his wife was sitting at now all alone lost in her own musings.

"Ready to go?"

Noor looked up and immediately got up.

"I always am."

"But I thought you were enjoying the party?"

"No, I wasn't. Yeah few conversations were good and Saliha auntie introduced me to few of her friends but that's it. This can never be my scene."

Rayyan nodded as they made their way towards the exit where the rest of the family was already waiting. Noor was saying something and Rayyan was all ears when his eyes met Haseeb's who was looking at his phone all horrified. He immediately glanced at Rayyan and there was a silent conversation. Rayyan slowly pulled out his own phone from his pocket.

"What happened?"

Noor tried gaining his attention but he was way too immersed in reading whatever it was on his phone. A deep scowl was set on his face. He pocketed his phone and turned to Noor.

"Something urgent has come up. You go home. Don't wait for me."

"But..."

"Noor, go."

It wasn't an order. It was a request. Rayyan immediately went to Haseeb making Noor feel like a storm had come.

"Bhabhi, Come with us."

She opened her mouth to protest but Abeer had already held her hand and was taking her towards the parking lot. The last thing Noor saw before turning the corner was a set of blue eyes shining with worry.

______________________

Abeer and Saliha had taken her to Khan residence. No one was sure what had happened. They had sat down and starting waiting for the men of house to arrive and tell them what was wrong. Noor was still trying to join the dots. What must've happened?

What was so important that Rayyan had left everything to handle it?

She didn't know anything. No one around her knew. She had to wait.

So she kept on waiting.

______________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

NOOR By Riya

Romance

293K 11.9K 46
I woke up by the sound of doorbell and someone banging on our front door. I came out and saw that everyone was out by now. "I'll check." Saying that...
2.3M 167K 79
"You are fired," he said, as my heart broke into tiny pieces. "No please sir, don't separate me from Imad. I beg of you," I pleaded in agony. What s...
7.3K 514 12
Aamir had known Muhammed, and his brother, Yusuf since high school and had know that they were two-thirds of a set of triplets. He had never met thei...
260K 20.4K 31
She has been keeping that secret in her heart for years and years, risking her every relationship. She has been accused. She has been hurt. She has b...