On My Doorstep [Editing]

By RuthNaggawa

Fawn Tessa Bonheur is a 23 year old, African American, heiress to a famous publishing company; Vender Publish... More

On My Doorstep
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
A Gift For You! -MUST READ-
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 13.5|RUDE!
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 4

9.3K 385 27
By RuthNaggawa

FAWN

"Here we are," Trent announced as we pulled up to The Pickle Barrel. He came around and opened the door for me. I looked for my baby carrier in Ami's baby bag. 

"What are you doing?" Trent asked, still waiting for me at the car door. "I'm looking for my- Here it is!" I strapped it around myself and gently put Ami inside. She was still young, so it was better for her to face me. More comfortable that way.

"When you get older, I have to get your Jajja(grandma in my language) to show me the African tie," I said, slowly getting out of the car. 

"Well, that's if you're still here," I muttered to myself.

Trent closed the door behind us and led the way inside. He walked up to the host's desk and smiled at the lady there.

"Welcome to the Pickle Barrel. How may I help you today?" She asked, professionally.

"Reservation for two. Under the name Branson." He told the host.

"Oh, Mr. Branson. We've been expecting you. Right this way, please," she smiled then picked up two menus and led us to our table.

"Your server will be right with you." She said, smiling at the both of us. "By the way, your baby is adorable. The two of you make a lovely couple," the host whispered, moreso to me.

I couldn't help but smile, "Thank you very much." With one last nod, she went back to the front.

"What did she say to you," Trent asked, the curiosity apparent in his expression.

"That we make a lovely couple," I told him, my cheeks a faint pink. "Did I thank you, by the way? For lunch?"

"Yes, but we haven't started eating anything yet, have we," He asked, taking a look at the menu. After a few moments, he looked up the menu and winked at me.

  I smiled, then looked down at Ami, who was still asleep. I'd had my share of babysitting my nephews and nieces. Being the youngest of three, I was 19 when Talia was 27 and our brother, Tyler, was 29. He had his first two years ago where she had hers 6 years ago. But even with all that time babysitting, I'd how much babies really just slept.

A server approached our table as I was lost in thought. Despite mine and Trent's attention being focused elsewhere, she started her spiel.

"Good afternoon. I'm Sara and I'll be your server today."

I looked up at the waitress and gasped when I saw her. "Sara? Oh my goodness, it's been so long!" I exclaimed.

Her face lit up and she gave me a hug. "Yes, it has. A few months, I'd say. What have you been up to," she asked.

"Oh, this and that. I thought you got promoted?" I asked and her expression dropped.

"That's what I thought, too. But I got demoted when I took a vacation. It was much needed, might I add. Anyway, who's this little one?" She queried, quickly changing the subject.

"This is my-" I paused, then just smiled and said, "Ami."

"She looks just like you. I-"

"This is a restaurant, Sara, not a club. Get on with your job." The manager walked by swiftly.

"That's my boss. Anyway, we'll continue later. Have you decided what you'd like to order?" She asked Trent and I. We both nodded and she smiled. 

"I'll have the shrimp linguine, thank you." I said and she quickly wrote it down.

"Well, for starters we'll get the Mac' and Cheese Poppers. I'll have the P.B House burger. Root Beer for the both of us and we may get desert later. Thanks." He smiled at her and she tried to act professionally, but I could see her goofy side clearly. She walked away and mouthed 'nice catch!' to me before heading back to the kitchen.

"So, where do you two know each other from?" Trent asked. 

"Oh... Well... I joined this French conversation group downtown a few years ago. Around the time we became friends, actually. I think it was a few months after you tried to get me in bed with you-"

"Which I almost succeeded at until you said you could never forgive yourself if you had sex before marriage..." He looked me in the eye and starting smiling... Purposely seductively.

"Stop that..." I demanded, averting my eyes. He started laughing as though he didn't know what he was doing.

"What?" He asked, leaning back in his chair. I honestly noticed then that he'd been leaning forward. "I don't think I mentioned how... Tempting you look today."

"Why, thank you. That actually seemed like a genuine compliment this time." I studied his expression and it really was. Genuine, I mean. "I'm always genuine with you, baby." I rolled my eyes when he said that. The ego is back.

"Here are your drinks. Two root beers. I also have your Mac' and Cheese poppers. Your main dishes will be ready very soon." Sara set down our food and went back into the kitchen. "I didn't even get a chance to say thank you..." I sighed, taking a sip of my root beer. 

"If you could," Trent picked up a popper and examined it, "you would say thank you every second of your life." I gasped, putting my hand over my chest. "That's over exaggerating. I just like showing my gratitude. That's all. You should try it sometime." 

"Don't get offended. You're just nice. Too nice, sometimes. But not that one comment. What do you even mean by 'You should try it sometime'? Are you saying I'm mean?" He asked, getting a bit loud for my taste. We're not even married yet and we're arguing like an old couple.

"You know exactly wha-" I looked down, eyes widened in horror. I then, in almost the same moment, pinched my nose. "Ugh!" Trent looked at me, confused. "What is- Oh, jeez! That baby shits in her sleep?!" He covered his nose with a napkin, disgusted.

"No." I replied as though it was obvious. Which it kinda was. "She's awake now." 

"Well? Clean her up," he said, waving us off with his free hand.

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I forgot her baby bag in your car."

"...Then... Okay, you take my keys and go get the bag. I'll stay here."

I looked at him, waiting for him to rephrase that sentence. "Are you serious?"

He shrugged, "you got any better ideas?" This time it was my turn to smirk. 

And I did so with pleasure.

"You could go get it for me... My wonderful fiance," I batted my eyelashes at him, and Trent sighed.

"I'll be right back."

******

"Okay, here it is," Trent said, relieved. I was surprised he'd found the bag, especially since I went down to the car to check on him. I could see that he was pleased to himself, and that was confirmed when he said, "well, at least Tess can be glad I did something that she should have." 

I smiled, then cleared my throat, "excuse me-"

"Jesus Christ!" Trent screamed, jumping into the car in terror. Ami started crying and I tried calming her down. It was a bit tough considering I was laughing so hard.

"Ahahaha! Oh my gosh! HA! I'm so done. I'm done." 

Trent flushed, then looked away, irritated. "It wasn't that funny."

I gave him an incredulous look, like we didn't both just witness his dramatics. "Wasn't-. Wasn't that funny? I have never seen anyone, and I mean anyone hop into their car when they get scared. That was an amazing experience that I may never get the chance to have again. I thank you for that. Although I wish I'd been recording it."

"So, why are you down here," he asked, not in the mood to get made fun of anymore. 

"I came down here because I didn't think you'd find the bag. It appears as though I was wrong," I shrugged. Trent nodded, accepting the compliment. 

******

"Alright! My burger!" Trent exclaimed, rubbing my hands together. 

I looked at him, furrowing her eyes brows, "My pasta beats your..." I waved her hands at my burger, waving it off, "...burger." He jerked his head, like he was dodging a bullet. Even though he was in love with that burger, he took some of my pasta against my protests and popped it into his mouth. 

"This is actually really good!" Trent hummed, then pushed his plate towards me slightly. "Here, have a bit of ma burgah." He continued to ogle over her food while I offered her mine. She eyed it, unsure, but then took a bite. 

I took a bite, surprised at the taste of his entree. "That's actually pretty good."

Trent smiled, "I have made the creator of the burger proud by getting you, Fawn Tessa Bonheur, to eat my burger, after claiming you hated grilled beef."

I rolled my eyes and gave him a light shove, "don't get used to it."

******

"We'll be in touch, Sara!" I hugged her, side hug of course. For Ami's sake. "Definitely. Don't forget to send me an invite to the wedding! I'll see you." She walked off in a hurry. I waved back as we walked out the door.

Trent drove Ami and I home, stopping in front of the condo building. I opened the door but didn't get out. "What's wrong?" he asked. I looked at the passenger's door, then closed it. I didn't feel like getting out. Really didn't. Know why? I felt too lazy. All that food really got to me. And made me tired.

"Would you wanna come up?" I asked him. His expression seemed to lift. Like the sun becoming brighter... 

I can't believe I just used that analogy...

"Yeah, sure." He started the car and drove down to the garage. After we got to the elevator, we were almost at my floor when someone I kind of know got on.

She looked at me, then Trent, and smiled. She doesn't usually smile at me until I say hi or something like that. And I said nothing. I knew exactly what she was thinking. 'That thing Tess finally got knocked up. At least she had the decency to bring the father home. Probably going to get pregnant again.' I said I know her, not like her.

The elevator door opened and we got out. Finally. 

We got into my condo and I looked around. I hadn't even taken off my shoes when I realized something. I looked at Trent and he looked back at me, not really understanding what was going on.

"Could you help me assemble something?" I asked.

"What?"

"A crib."

__________________________________________________________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4M 154K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...
5.1M 162K 49
"C- Can you move b- back a little?" My words made him smirk and if it's even possible, he came closer. Why do I always have to stuck between him and...
47.2K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
2.5M 44.1K 29
When the "Sexiest Man Alive" reneges on his book contract, no-nonsense editor Erin Andersen is sent to rein him in. But after meeting Stephen Spence...