𝓓𝓔𝓣𝓡𝓞𝓘𝓣: 𝓑𝓔𝓒𝓞𝓜𝓔...

By Choose_Your_Fate_Now

Inara Gibson is a green detective that's just trying to find her place in a world where a large percentage of... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Chapter 5

48 6 19
By Choose_Your_Fate_Now

You have decided to chase after the desperate deviants, avenging Connor's destruction. Choices made in the heat of the moment can lead to dire consequences, and may result in grievous bodily harm. My only hope is that Hank and Inara are able to overcome these obstacles. Back to it.

"I'm catching this plastic prick," I snarl. "That android would've killed me if Connor ..."

"Look, kid." Hank sighs, removing his hand. "Please, just go back to the office. There's no shame in stepping back once in a while."

"You're wasting time." I push past the Lieutenant, running toward the front door. Like a dog chasing its tail, I run around, doubling back on myself. Complacency threatens to take hold, as the room begins spinning. There's got to be something.

"Jesus! Just slow down." Hank jogs begins me, waving his hand. "You're not doing anyone any good frantically running around the place."

My lungs burn, as my teeth grind together. "There's got to be something." I scrunch my eyes closed and crouch on the tar road. "Fucking anything. Please!"

I open my eyes and can't believe my luck. Thirium. I've stumbled across faint traces of blue blood, leading me to that robot. I dip my fingers in the goop and smile. "We've got 'em, Lieutenant."

"Where the fuck are you going now?" Hank huffs, "please explain!"

But I haven't got time for that right now. The bloody bread crumbs lead me to the alleyway, and to my attempted murderer. The path leads us to this chain link fence, smeared with even more thirium. Yes! We're on the right track.

Without hesitation, I scale the metal and hop to the other side.

"Inara!" Hank belows. "Stop this now. You're going to get yourself killed."

"Not if I kill her first," I mutter, removing my glock from its holster. The ridiculous Android is crouching in plain sight at the mouth of the sewer, and I'm not going to waste this opportunity. I run across the dry concrete, tears obscuring my vision.

Mercedes turns her head toward me, but doesn't move. She just turns back. What the fuck?

"Detroit Police. Put your hands up or I'll be forced to shoot," I order, running the last ten yards.

As I get closer, I can see why she's not moving. She's crouching over Audrey, the little android's LED is black. A small pang hits my chest, but I'm too fired up. It's not my fault the girl, I mean little android is dead.

I point my firearm at the back of her head. "I said hands up."

"Do it," Mercedes whimpers, gently caressing Audrey's destroyed cheek. "My daughter is dead. I have nothing left." The robot leans into the barrel of the pistol. "I said DO IT!"

"Uhh." I hesitate. My anger slowly washes away every moment Mercedes cries over her kin. How can anyone do this to anything? Anyone? The scene before me just chips away at my resolve, making me question which way is up.

But Connor's lifeless body flashes before my eyes. He jumped in front of me. Saved me, despite his programming. Surely I couldn't just stand by while his murderer roams free, despite the circumstances.

Mercedes wants to die. Just do it. Don't be a fucking pussy and just do it already! She killed Connor, she deserves to fucking die.

My head pounds as I pull the hammer back. "Any last words?"

"RA9, save us."

BLAM

Mercedes shudders, her LED blinking red before everything becomes still, everything is silent.

My head whirs. My stomach churns. How am I going to explain this?

The coppery smell invades my nostrils. Everything is too close, there's too much air. I empty the contents of my stomach on the wall beside the bodies. Wait til forensics sees that. I'll never hear the end of it.

"Gibson." Hank finally gets here. "Are you alright?"

"I, uh—" my tongue is paralysed. "Phlucked up."

"Easy there, kid. You don't look so great." Lieutenant slowly approaches me. "Let's get you back to the station."

It's hard to breathe. My lungs exhale, but can't find the strength to inhale, like some sick Chinese finger trap. My vision crackles on the edges, quickly moving its way to the center.

***

The Central Station looks particularly massive, as I walk through the double doors. I'd been ordered to take a couple of days off to recover after the "incident."

Police Chief Fowler had been pretty good about the whole thing, but I could sense the other piranhas circling in the tank. I'm sure the story about the greenhorn barfing on the crime scene, then passing out would've been amusing news. My stomach turns at the memory.

"Hey there, sugar," Gavin laughs. "You want a coffee? Do you think your stomach could handle it?"

My face drops, and I keep my head down as I travel to Hank's desk.

"Awwww, did I hurt your itty bitty feelings?" Gavin walks behind me, then grabs my arm. "Come on, baby. I'm only having some fun with you."

"Fuck off, Gavin!" I wrench my arm from his. "Don't you have some dick of the year ceremony to attend?"

He holds his hand to his chest. "How did you know?" The piece of shit winks at me. "I'll be needing a plus one."

My heart sinks, Hank isn't here yet. It's 9:00am, Where is he? I grab his Detroit Gears basketball cap and scrunch it in my hands. "Why did I turn up on time?" I grumble to myself.

"Gibson. My office, now!" Fowler summons.

"We'll talk later, Gibson." Gavin leaves, caressing my arm as he walks away. Prick.

"Yes, Chief." I trudge to Fowler's office, and mentally prepare myself for whatever he has in store.

After closing the glass door, I felt all eyes on me, as if they'd been waiting for this.

"How are you, detective?" Fowler gestures to the seat by his desk. "I'm glad to see you came back."

"I'm good, sir," I lie. "Just want to get back into it."

"That's good to hear." The mountain of a man pulls out a case file, then rubs a hand over his shaven head. "There's been a number of reported androids missing, and a couple have been seen near this address." He points to the case file, coming to life and displaying the suspect's address. "I need two of you to go and question the owner, Zlatko Andronikov. See if you can get anything out of him."

"Who am I partnered up with?" My brows furrow, trying to process how I feel about that.

"That's up to you, Gibson." He points to a pissed off Hank, just arriving for work. "You can go with Hank."

Then he scans the precinct and finds ... "Or you can work with Gavin." I look over my shoulder to see Gavin with a smug grin painted on his face.

I scrunch my nose.

"Look, I know Gavin is a bit difficult to work with, but he definitely has a higher success rate with questioning then Hank."

Choose wisely! You have until Friday, December 14th.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 54.4K 100
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
486K 7.4K 82
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
389K 18.7K 80
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...
163K 4.7K 64
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...