When Stars Align || G. Lafaye...

By aubinwhys

"Don't leave like this." The words weren't from family, nor from friends, but from within. Could she really... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22

Chapter 21

1.2K 72 49
By aubinwhys

I stayed up till 3 am to finish this, pls leave a vote and comment or 2 :))

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

I awoke late in the day the next morning (the next afternoon, really), and found myself still burrowed into the coat Lafayette had lent me, even under my blankets. A soft smile crept onto my face, my eyes fluttering back shut as I nuzzled into the jacket, inhaling everything that smelled like him, from the collar to the lining. I hummed in contentment, pulling it closer into myself, and sighed, smelling him on everything with each breath I took.

Scrunching my nose up, squinting as I looked into the early afternoon light, I sat up, propping myself up on my arms behind me on the bed. I blinked hard as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, just as the sound of footsteps from the room next to mine met my ears. Lafayette must be awake.

I let out a soft yawn as I lifted myself from the bed, grabbing my fake glasses from my desk as I made to leave the room. I took a sideways glance at the mirror Lafayette had put out on the desk in a weak attempt to decorate. My hair was getting long. Too long. I needed to cut it again before I went back to looking like myself.

I inhaled roughly as I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear, biting my lip as I reached Lafayette's doorway. I knocked lightly on the doorframe, despite the room not having an actual door, and leaned against the side of it, my arms crossed. He looked up with wide eyes, his face breaking into a smile upon seeing me.

"Levi!" he said, sounding slightly surprised to see me, "I, uh... 'ow did you sleep?" I chuckled softly.

"Pretty well, before you decided to what, practice an avant garde version of the drums on your furniture?" I raised my eyebrows with a teasing smile, and he rubbed the back of his neck, letting out a nervous laugh.

"Forgive me, amour; I did not mean to wake you," he said -- was he really calling me that, now? -- a soft smile finally settling onto his face, "But seeing as it is past noon, per'aps you should trying being less lazy, hm?"

My jaw dropped in mock offense. "Excuse me if helping to lead an actual revolution has been tiring me out," I scoffed, "Not all of us can run on two hours of sleep for months and come out of it perfectly fine."

He shrugged, turning back to his desk, where he was stacking a few things up, appearing to be putting them away. "What can I say, sleep is for ze weak."

"You calling me weak, Lafayette?" I challenged, cocking a brow.

"What are you plan to do about it if I am, King?" He folded his arms, looking back at me with a smug smile. I shrugged.

"You'll see." I shot him a wink, and he rolled his eyes, moving to put his stack of papers on his bookshelf. "Anyway, you ever gonna invite me in, or am I gonna have to stay in the doorway forever?" He scrunched up his nose.

"Whichever keeps you furthest away from me," he said, and I scowled, walking into the room anyway, perching myself on the edge of his bed.

"Funny hearing that from the guy who decided to put where I was staying right next to his own room," I mused, and he smirked.

"Please, I only did zat because we both know you would 'ave forced me to move your room if I 'adn't, and I didn't feel like dealing with ze drama," he chuckled, unfazed. My jaw dropped.

"Oh yeah?" I challenged, folding my arms as I stood, taking a few steps toward where he was at his desk. He chuckled, turning to face me.

"Oui." He followed suit, folding his arms, and walking toward me. "You would not 'ave been able to stand being away from me."

I raised my eyebrows, though I could feel my face heating in the proximity he'd reached. "That's a pretty bold assumption."

"Not when I know it to be true." A smug, lazy smile rested on his lips, and I scoffed.

"Really, now."

His smirk deepened, taking another step toward me, leaving us toe to toe. I swallowed hard. "Can you tell me zat I am wrong?"

"Hey, Laf, I--" Both our heads whipped toward the door, eyes wide as Herc's when we saw him standing in the doorway holding a few pieces of paper. "Am I... interrupting anything?"

We both stood there a moment frozen, before finally, I regained my senses and took a step away from him, my face burning. "No!" I stumbled back a few steps in my rush to move, and noticed him making for the desk, though I tried not to look in his direction. "No, y-you're fine. What's up?"

I ended up awkwardly stanced with on hand resting on the bed, far lower than my hand naturally hung, and he eyed me suspiciously before turning to Lafayette. Upon following his gaze, Lafayette was in a nearly equally awkward position, ankles crossed as he leaned on one elbow at the side of the desk, body turned as though he was trying to hide something sitting on it behind him.

"...Riiight." Hercules finally said, his thought process no doubt following my own, and I felt my cheeks flush. "Anyway, you've got a letter from Laurens, Laf."

He finally entered the room, and Lafayette gladly took the paper, his eyebrows raised. Mine shot up as well.

"Laurens? As in, John Laurens, yeah?" I asked, walking over to where the two of them stood. Herc nodded, a grin breaking across his face.

"Yeah, I forgot you know 'im," he chuckled, "He's apparently headed down here from South Carolina, but I dunno when this letter was sent, so he could be here any minute or any day now."

"Ah, for real?" I asked, a grin now splitting through my features. "That's awesome, it'll be nice to have him for Christmas."

Wait, fuck, he knows who I am, doesn't he, I thought, We'll have to see about how nice it turns out to be.

"Yeah, probably," Herc scoffed, "Maybe he'll actually be willing to drink with my one of these days." He shot both Lafayette and me a pointed look, and I rolled my eyes, amused.

"Yeah, you're right, Mulligan," I said, nodding, my expression mockingly serious, "I think he might, in fact, have less responsibility and less reason not to get drunk because he won't be putting military secrets at risk."

He huffed, looking annoyed, by I didn't buy it. "Oh, whatever. You go off about responsibility and whatever, but how much confidential military shit do you actually know which would like, ruin everything if I knew it?"

My creased brow parted at this; he did have a point. Besides, like, y'know, the big thing. That thing. You know the thing.

I pursed my lips, glancing over at Lafayette, who I consequently found to be looking back at me, eyes wide. He shrugged.

"Not much," he conceded, and I bit my lip, my expression one of reluctant agreement. I looked back at Hercules, my lips pressed into a thin line. He looked far too smug, standing with his arms crossed and his smirk written deep into his face. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes.

"So you two are gonna go drinking with me now?" he asked, wiggling his brow and shaking his shoulders at us playfully. I couldn't help but laugh.

"We'll see, Herc. No promises," I said, and he grinned.

"I'm taking that as a 'yes'."

Lafayette and I exchanged a look of exasperation, but Hercules was undeterred. It looked like the pair of us weren't going to make it through the week without getting drunk at least once.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

I ended up playing a few hands of hearts with the boys -- including Nael -- and a few hands turned into playing well into the afternoon.

"We were supposed to just play until someone hit 100," I huffed, and Nael glared at me.

"Easy for you to say, as you were not ze one losing with all ze points." He halfheartedly chucked a discarded joker at me, and I scowled.

"'Ey, at least you still 'ave a fighting chance!" Nael complained, "I am ze one getting close to 200!"

I had to laugh at that, glancing at the scorecard, though he shot me a withering glare. I simpered apologetically as I noticed it, pressing my lips together to contain my amusement as I rifled through my cards.

As I threw my card, I caught Lafayette's eyes widening, and grinned.

"Zat is not fair, Levi!" he whined, and I shot him a wink as he looked up from the cards. "Why did you 'ave to do zis to me?"

"Y'know what they say, Laf," --I shrugged-- "All's fair in love and war."

"I thought you loved me!" he complained dramatically, clearly holding back a laugh. I shrugged.

"Then all's fair, isn't it?"

He scowled, reaching to take the hand with the queen of spades. "Asshole," he cursed under his breath. I blew him a patronizing kiss.

"Hey." A voice in the doorway from behind me made us all jump, Lafayette freezing with his hand over the cards. There stood a bored aide-de-camp, seemingly annoyed that he had to do his job. "Someone's here claiming to have a meeting with General Lafayette?"

Lafayette cocked his brow. "Who did 'e say 'e was?"

"He wouldn't."

"Take a wild fucking guess, Laf," a voice from behind him scoffed, who I think we all immediately recognized as John Laurens. The aide turned to him, appearing ticked.

"Do you mind?"

"I'm the one here visiting and you're blocking the doorway; do you mind?" John folded his arms, and Nael and I shared an amused look.

"Oh please, I'm just trying to do my job," the aide scoffed.

"Then do a better job of it! You're making me late!"

He turned back to us, still effectively blocking the doorway, and I looked back at John, who looked far beyond exasperated.

"Sir?" The aide raised his eyebrows at Lafayette, and John followed suit -- though, his was a bit more aggressive; he must have been really over dealing with that aide. Lafayette grinned at Laurens' annoyance.

"Ah, let 'im in," he snickered, "we were done 'ere anyway; we can meet now." The aide rolled his eyes as he skulked off, and John scowled at his retreating figure.

"Hey! You can't just end the game right when I was about to beat you!" My jaw dropped in mock annoyance, and Lafayette only grinned at me, a smug look in his eyes.

"But Levi, John is 'ere," he reasoned, "we don't exactly 'ave time to finish zis 'and, hm?" He cocked his head to the side expectantly, and I scoffed.

"Convenient timing."

"What can I say," --he gave a small shrug, pursing his lips-- "All's fair, isn't it?" His grin returned at that, and he winked at me as he stood up to greet John. I glanced back at where he stood as he did so, John raising his eyebrows at me, his eyes wide as a small smile rested on his lips. I sighed. His expression very clearly conveyed how smug he was; it was the exact expression I'd come to associate with John accusing me of flirting.

I gave him a very pointed "cut it out" look, my lips pursed, and he just smiled lazily as Lafayette reached him.

"John Laurens, it 'as been a while," he chuckled, shaking his hand earnestly, pulling him in for a half-hug, and John rolled his eyes.

"Oh whatever, you sap. It's been two months, tops," he scoffed. Lafayette gave a mock pout, pulling away slightly, and John looked to be moments away from breaking into laughter.

"What? A whole two months? Are you telling me zat you did not miss me terribly?" Lafayette sulked, and John laughed, shoving his chest away. Lafayette stumbled a few steps back with an equally wide grin.

"Oh, shut up," he scoffed, grinning, "you know I'm glad to see you, dumbass."

"You 'ad better be," Lafayette huffed, folding his arms. John rolled his eyes.

"Hey Herc, Nael," he said with a smile, directing his attention to all of us still sitting at the table in Lafayette's meeting room as he walking toward us, Lafayette migrating back to his seat. The other two stood up grinning back at him. "How's it been?"

"Not bad, gotta say," Herc replied, giving him a hearty handshake. "Haven't had to deal with your boyfriend in a while, so can't complain."

John scoffed, pursing his lips. "Oh my god, Herc, shut up about that already."

"Aw, why?" Hercules asked with a mock pout, "You miss him that much?" He rolled his eyes as Nael pulled him in for a tight hug.

"Honestly, I am surprised you did not go visit 'im for Christmas." He shrugged, pulling away, "You could 'ave 'ad a, ah, happy holiday, if you know what I am saying." He raised his eyebrows at John suggestively, and he sighed.

"Nah, he's up further north meeting with Washington." He shrugged, for the most part, doing a good job hiding the disappointment that flickered in his eyes. "I wouldn't have made the trip in time." He let out a short huff and squared his shoulders before plastering a grin back onto his face. "Now shut up about that, alright? I'm here to spend time with you guys." He punched Nael playfully on the shoulder, and he scoffed.

"Come on, are we even 'aving fun if we do not tease you a bit?" he asked, raising his brow, and John scrunched up his nose.

"Yes, we are." He pursed his lips despite his smile. "Now shut up about it, alright?"

"Aw, c'mon, Laurens, we were just getting started," I whined, and he raised his eyebrows at me, giving a look that said "seriously?"

"Oh really, Levi?" He laughed, turning toward where I was leaning against the table. "You're choosing to interject now? You and I both know that you're in no position to talk about this."

My eyes widened slightly, my face heating up as I understood his implication. "Oh my god, John, do not go there."

"Hey, you started it." He put his hands up in mock surrender, his expression, neutral, and I glared, eliciting a chuckled from him. "Aw, c'mon, don't be like that."

He took a few steps toward me, and I obliged him as he pulled me into a hug, a small smile settling onto my lips. "Don't worry, I'm not gonna go there," he murmured, not at all quietly, "at least not in present company."

I could see Hercules raise his eyebrows behind John at this, and though I couldn't see it, I was almost sure John was giving Lafayette a pointed look. I pulled away, shaking my head, and he grinned.

"Whatever, John," I heard Lafayette say as I went to sit back down. "You will see Alexander soon enough at ze winter's ball, non?"

Laurens shrugged with an amused huff, opened his mouth to reply, but I beat him to it.

"The what?"

They all stared at me for a moment, seemingly lost. "The... winter's ball," Hercules eventually responded, brow furrowed at my lack of understanding.

"Oh, thanks, that really clears it up," I said, my voice heavy with sarcasm. John chuckled.

"C'mon, haven't you heard?" He raised his brow; I just pursed my lips, gave a shrug. "It's this huge ball being thrown downtown in New York City by this hella rich family, the Schuylers. It's like, a new years celebration of the revolution and a relief day for the troops or whatever. It's really just to try and give the army back some morale."

"Yeah, it's gonna be a good time," Herc added, grinning widely. "Basically just a night of free booze and ladies, if you ask me."

"Love the priorities," I commented. "Maybe you'll finally actually find someone, Nael." I shot my brother a wink, and he scowled.

"'Ave you really been zis big of an asshole ze whole time I 'ave known you?" he asked, and I shot him a grin, shrugging.

"Runs in my family." I knew he was the only one who'd catch onto the implication, but I decided that was enough as he rolled his eyes, annoyed.

"Mm, I some'ow doubt zat everyone else is as awful as you," he scoffed despite his small smile. I rolled my eyes, turnint back to John.

"So wait, when is this ball?"

He shrugged. "I dunno, late January?"

"Less zan a month away?" Lafayette asked.

"Yeah," John sighed, "It'll be nice to be able to head up to New York for a bit again."

I nodded, grinning at him. "And to see your lover again, of course?"

He scoffed, shoving me lightly. "Oh come on. That's not why, but even if it was, Alex and I are close, alright? I'm allowed to miss him."

"Yeah Levi, c'mon," Hercules piped up with a grin, "Just 'cause you can't relate to being separated from your lover--" His gaze turned to Lafayette at that, and my eyebrows raised. So, he knew.

"Hey! Just cause you're lonely and single doesn't mean you have to start attacking me," I defended, and he huffed, rolling his eyes with a smirk.

"Lonely and single? Please, I can't fucking keep the ladies off me, don't start--"

"Oh yeah? So where's your lover?" I cut him off, eyebrows raised.

"I can't be fucking tied down! I'm a free man, and--"

"'Ercules, relax, it is not zat deep," Lafayette intejected exasperatedly, seeing Herc's expression being worked up into a playful glare.

"C'mon, you two can't gang up on me," he scowled, giving a mischievous wink, "I mean, we all know you're fucking, so you're in no position--!"

My jaw dropped, a dry laugh falling from my lips. "What the fuck?! We're just throwing out wild accusations now?!"

"You fucking started it!" He shoved me lightly, his voice loud, but his gaze laughing despite it.

"Not like that I didn't!"

"You totally--!"

Our lively argument, despite how loud it'd gotten, was cut off by a forceful growl that came from John's stomach.

We all turned to him, Herc and me  frozen despite having stood up in passionate fits, and he just stared back at us, eyes wide.

"I, uh, haven't eaten since I started the trip south," he said sheepishly, and my eyes widened.

"It's been more than a day since you've eaten?!" I asked. He smiled weakly.

"Guess so," he conceded with a shrug, and Nael sighed.

"Conne," he sighed, and Lafayette and I chuckled, sharing a look.

"Sounds like we are need to get you some food, John," Lafayette said, exasperated.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

We ended up going into town and consequently finding a little marketplace, all lit up with candles into the evening. The southern winter air was brisk, enough to send chills down anyone's spine, but bearable under the coat I'd yet to return to Lafayette. It didn't quite feel like a real winter so much as late fall on my family's farm.

Dead grass lay frozen on dirt roads, crunching underfoot as we made our way down the center road through the warm atmosphere provided both by the marketplace and the people with me to enjoy it. We'd gotten a proper meal into John, and he was, if possible, more lively than he'd arrived.

I laughed along with everyone at some dumb joke Hercules had made, though I hadn't quite caught the punchline, my compulsory  amusement cut short by a quiet yawn I let out. I hadn't had a moment to myself since I woke up; I should have expected to tire out earlier than usual, but still, it caught me off guard as I noticed the involuntary droop of my eyelids and how heavy each step had become.

"Levi?" Lafayette asked, snapping me back into reality. I sniffed, blinking hard.

"Huh?" I asked, still in a bit of a daze. He chuckled.

"'Ercules was just wondering whether you were thought zat you would make it to ze winter's ball," he explained, eyeing my expression thoughtfully, wearing a smile I couldn't read. "Are you alright?"

"I, um," --I hesitated, clearing my throat. Would I make it to the ball? I mean, I'd like to, I thought, But I'd really like to go as Y/N, so Levi might be getting left behind on this one. "I'll try to make it, but no promises. Balls aren't really my scene." Lafayette laughed quietly to himself, nodding. "And ah, yeah, I'm fine, don't worry," (I sniffled, rubbing the sleep from my eyes as I stifled a yawn) "Just getting a little tired, is all."

"Are you want to go back to camp and get some sleep?" he asked, his brow raised. "I can walk you back with you, if you are." I smiled, seeing the concern in his eyes as the other three had gone back to their lively discussion.

"Don't worry about it, Laf," I chuckled, "If I can go two weeks on only three hours of sleep, I should be able to make it a good bit longer."

"Alright," he said quietly, his accent getting thicker and his English worse, as I could see fatigue had begun to set in for him as well, "Just let me know if you are want leaving."

I nodded, giving him a grateful silent, and the two of us fell into a comfortable silence just as we fell into step with one another. I pulled my (Lafayette's) jacket tighter around myself, shivering from the cold as I halfheartedly eyed the stands around us.

A few ahead of us, a stand caught my eye of a leatherworker, my brows raising slightly as we neared it. My footsteps stalled, my vision caught on one particular leather-bound notebook. The leather around it had been dyed blue, little four-pointed stars embossed around the corners and in a line winding down from the top. I gently picked it up, unwinding the leather cord holding it shut, and leafed through the blank pages, wonder in my gaze. As far as I was concerned, this little book was the height of luxury.

A heavy hand came to rest on my shoulder, and I looked back to find Lafayette standing there, eyes twinkling as he smiled down at me.

"What 'as you so," he pursed his lips, his head moving slightly as he searched for the right word, "ah... interested, amour?" That did elicit a raised eyebrow from the storekeeper, which I elected entirely to ignore. I gave him a soft smile.

"Ah, it's not much." I shrugged, held up the small book. "Just this; it's gorgeous."

"How much?" Lafayette asked, this time directing his attention to the merchant whose store it was. The man gave us a toothy grin, despite the few teeth he was missing.

"I'n't she a beaut?" he asked, and I gave him a tight smile. "Just finished making her this morning, the dye had only just dried. She's a pound an' sixteen shillings, normally--" My jaw dropped, that was a steep price for a notebook. There wasn't any way in hell I could have justified that. "--but I see you're with the army." He gave us an even wider grin at that.

"'S noble what y'all are doing down there, fightin' for our independence, an' helping us whose business relies on paper make a livin' fightin' the Stamp Act. 'S dumb what they're tryna do to us, keep us down. Ain't right." He glanced down at the worn conditions of our clothes, gave a short chuckle. "Just lemme know how much you're willin' to pay for it, an' we can work from there."

My eyes widened, and I scrambled to pull out my pouch of money, counting the coins I had on me. Lafayette rested a hand on mine frantically moving, though, stopping me, and I looked up at him in confusion.

"Thanking you for ze offer," he said, giving the merchant a warm smile, "But we are can pay ze full price. I can 'ave it covered."

"Laf, what--?" The question died on my lips, though, as the shopkeeper addressed him.

"Are you sure? I don't mind; y'all are the ones fightin' to save me money, anyway," he said, but Lafayette shook his head.

"It is absolutely being fine."

"Lafayette, I can't let you cover that," I interrupted the exchange, my brow creased at Lafayette's generosity, but he only stared back at me with an easy smile.

"Levi, do no worry about it," he said, "thinking of it as an early Christmas present, hm?"

I sighed, adjusting my glasses atop the bridge of my nose. "C'mon, that's way too extravagant. I can't let you do that; it's too expensive." He just let out a short chuckle, seemingly amused by my protests.

"Did I ever telling you," he asked, "zat I 'ave being one of ze richest people in France since ze ages of twelve?" I huffed.

"Just because you have a lot of money--" I began to protest, but he was already pouring several pounds into his hand with a self-satisfied smile. "Lafayette!"

"Levi, just relax," he laughed. "It not is a large deal. Just letting me do zis for you." I sighed.

"Are you sure?" I raised my eyebrows, and he just gave me soft grin, eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Entirely."

I huffed, letting him finish the transaction. He ended up giving the merchant two pounds, and a "keep ze change."

"God bless y'all and everything you're doin' for us," he said, emotion creeping into his voice as he grabbed Lafayette's hand, taking the money from him. "Y'all are those two general-major-whatevers, aren't you?" When we both raised our eyebrows in surprise, he grinned. "I follow the revolution pretty closely, I recognized y'alls names when you were talkin'."

"Zen oui, I suppose we are," Lafayette answered with a chuckle. "And merci for your support. It is things people like you who are going to 'elp us win zis."

He nodded gratefully, let go of Lafayette's hand with an earnest smile. "Y'all better win this. I'm sick and tired of avoiding those goddamn tax collectors the British set on my ass."

That drew a laugh from me. "I promise, when we capture the British Army, those tax collectors will be the first ones hung."

He grinned. "I might just have to hold you to that."

"Have a merry Christmas, sir," I laughed, "your kind words will not be forgotten."

With that, we began walking away, and Lafayette handed me the notebook.

"Merry Christmas, Levi," he murmured, dipping down to my ear as we caught up with thw reat of our friends. God, I loved them, but dealing with them just then was not something I wanted to do. My whole body was weighed down with fatigue, my eyelids drooped, my head pounded. Nael's commentary on my love life didn't feel like the most appealing thing.

"Hey, guys?" I asked, and they all turned their heads toward me as we walked, nearing the pub at the furthest end of the road. "I think I'm gonna head back to camp. We only have so much time away from the war, and I'd like to use it to get some rest."

Immediately, Hercules scoffed.

"What? Where's the fun in that?" He frowned, eyeing me as we walked. "We've hardly been out for like, an hour."

"We 'ave been out for nearly four hours, 'Ercules," Lafayette yawned, eyebrows raised.

"Ah, shit, not you too," he complained, a pout adorning his lips.

"It's alright, go get some rest. We understand," John interjected, giving me a warm smile. "But, ah, you should walk back with Lafayette, too. Think he might be losing his last bit of energy, too."

I'd already established that that much was true, making it completely unnecessary for Nael to drop his hand on my shoulder with a hearty grin, leaning in close only to say less-than-quietly, "Oui, ze two of you can get some quality time together." He gave me an exaggerated wink, and I just rolled my eyes, too tired to deal with him. This seemed to amuse him, as he burst into a fit of giggled at my reaction. I sighed.

"Alright. Bye, you guys; have fun drinking," I said, raising a hand in parting as they all gave halfhearted but earnest cheers in response. I turned away, Lafayette following my short stride with his significantly longer one, and catching up with me nearly immediately.

I glanced over at him, and he was watching me, an even smile on his lips, his hands buried in his pockets.

"What?" I asked, raising an eyebrow, and he just shrugged, smile growing.

"Nothing important, Levi." He chuckled, looking down. "Anyway, zis path loops around right around 'ere, and it is only a few minutes back to camp from zere."

I hummed in acknowledgement, nodding. "You know this part of town pretty well, huh?" He shrugged, nodded. "So what have you been up to out here while you were supposed to be planning battles?" I raised an accusing eyebrow at him, and he laughed.

"I suppose you 'ave gotten me zere." He tucked a loose curl behind his ear, glancing down at me. "I come up 'ere occasional to buy food. Our camp supply can getting low when Congress cannot get enough funds for us, so I do my best to feed ze troops on my own."

"That's... awfully empathetic of you." I looked up at him, warmth in my gaze, and he scratched the back of his neck with a chuckle, shrugged.

"It is nothing much," he brushed it off, "I just zink zat, you know, since zey are put zeir lives on ze line for ze cause of 'elping zeir whole country, zey at least deserve meals while zey are doing so."

I nodded, thinking on his words, but he wasn't done.

"You Americans inspire me, you know." He smiled down at me, and I matched his expression. "I am not from 'ere, so I cannot understand, but to love ze country you grew up in zis much? To be willing to risk everything just because you believe so entirely in it and its people? Because you know zat you can, and you will be able to do good without ze king, and you are want so wholly in zat?"

He sighed, gave a shrug. "I am not know, because I 'ave never been in ze situation, but it seems noble. It is... truly incredible. For all of you. And for you, especially, to lead it."

I chuckled. "Please. You wanna talk about noble?" I glanced over at him ans he was raising his eyebrows, looking at me curiously.

"Noble is leaving your own fucking country behind, fleeing depsite what everyone tries to tell you, just to go help another country all the way across the sea gain their freedom," I said, and he smiled warmly. "You're the noble one. You don't even have any obligation to us; you're just here to help, and I love that."

He chuckled. "What can I say, I love your country. I love ze people in it." He shot me a wink at those words, and I was glad I could hide my blush in the darkness of the night. His grin told me he could tell, though.

A gust of wind blew through the cold twilit air, and a shudder ran down my spine. My jaw trembled in the cold, and I pulled my coat tighter around me.

"Are you cold?" Lafayette asked, looking down at me, concern evident in his eyes. I chuckled.

"What gave it away?" I asked dryly, and he rolles his eyes.

"Come 'ere." My eyes widened as he pulled me into the coat he was wearing along with him, despite the fact that I was already wearing one coat of his. His arm rested around my waist as we walked, pulling me into his side, and I burrowed further into him.

"Just a little further," he told me quietly as we reached the edge of camp. I nodded. His body radiated heat, and I subconsciously pulled myself closer in as his arm tightened around me. I hummed in satisfaction, and he chuckled.

"You're the best," I mumbled into his shoulder, "my own personal heater. Could get used to this." This elicited a laugh from him, as he smiled brightly down at me despite how tired his eyes looked.

"Amour, I am more zan 'appy to be your personal 'eater whenever you are want," he said, and I could only smile.

"I might just have to take you up on that." His laugh rumbled through his chest as we finally reached the building in the center of camp, where we both were sleeping.

"After you," he said with a wink, stepping aside as he opened the door for me, and I grinned.

"Why thank you, monsieur," I said teasingly, entering the building with him at my heels. It was warmer inside, but only just, and I wondered how many more layers of clothes I'd need to make it through the night.

Lafayette's arm fell around my shoulders once again, and I found myself walking alongside him to his room at the end of the hall, intending to leave and go to mine after he went it.

However, we reached the doorway just as his arm fell to my waist, and I looked over at him, and eyebrow raised.

"Well, I suppose this is where we part?"

He shrugged, looking down at me with a slight smile. "Does it 'ave to be? You are very cold, non?"

My eyes widened slightly. "Uh, yeah, but--"

"Zen stay, Levi," he suggested with a shrug, "I can keep you warm."

I gaped at him for a moment as he steppes in front of me, taking my waist in both his hands. "Laf, I really can't stay."

"But amour, it is so cold in 'ere," he reasoned, eyes pleading. I sighed.

"I-- I mean, it was nice going out, and thanks for walking me back, and all, but I should go."

His hands slid down my arms, his expression downcast, until he took my hands in his, tugging me toward him.

"Your 'ands are like ice. You cannot go freeze alone."

I looked into his hopeful eyes as he pulled me into the room, and found myself following him.

"I really should say no," I sighed. He smiled.

"Pourquoi pas?" He raised an eyebrow, and I didn't really have much of an answer as his back reached his bed.

I swallowed. "What will people think?" I asked as he sat back. He shrugged.

"Zey will not 'ave to, Levi. Stop worrying." He chuckled, smoothing stray hairs away from my face as he pulled my hands to his chest, and in turn, my face closer to his. "I am not want to make you stay if you are not want to," he said, searching my expression for an answer, "But Levi, it is so cold outside, and I am not want you to freeze alone."

"Laf, your welcome has been so nice and warm, but..." I trailed off, looking down into his hopeful eyes.

"But?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow at me. God, he was really doing this, huh? He really did have no shame, and while sure, it wasn't technically anything wrong -- sleeping in his bed wasn't exactly the same as fucking him in his bed -- we both knew there was a clear subtext. At that time, though, I didn't care. For a shining moment, staring into his eyes, the world was mase up of his dark irises and corkscrew curls, and his comforting smell, and his smile that felt like home. That was all it took to make my decision.

Screw it. It was time to throw caution to the wind.

"But," I finished with a breath, leaning into him, "it's so cold outside. I don't know if I'll make it the night alone without freezing."

He let out a breath he must have been holding, before pulling me closer to both him and the bed.

"C'est bon," he breathed, a confident smile creeping back onto his face. "It is cold outside, amour."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 45.4K 128
She was his motivation. Madison Connor, the only woman he had ever loved, the woman he had hurt, the woman he had left. Billionaire Damien Daniels ha...
37.2K 1K 19
TRIGGER WARNINGS: SELF-HARM, SUICIDE ATTEMPTS, ANXIETY ATTACKS ^•^ Lafayette is broken. Hercules just wants to fix him. One has depression, anxiety a...
5.2K 803 26
F:- " Tell me where were you the whole night". I:- " Actually Mom, I fainted, a girl and her brother help me I was with them". I told the truth to th...
64.1K 1.8K 17
Life...is ironic. It takes sadness to know happiness. Absence to value presence. Noise to appreciate silence. It's ironic, How the people who say "I...