Impossible to Love (Book 1 of...

By ilike2write

Starlites are impossible to love. The human fell in love anyways. There is an age old story - some call it a... More

Prologue
The Battle of Xeo
The Starlite Princess
Nymph Knowledge
The Stroll
The Ball
The Letter
The Ceremony
The New Job
The Royal Secret
The Prince's Tale
The Invitation
The Game
The Smell of Paint
The First Match
The Jealous Starlite
The Other Prince
Letters to Peshtim
Turbulence in the Water
The Tea Meets
The Confession
The Pupil & His Master
The Awakening
The Sickbed
Death of the Doomed
The Patient
The Shadow's Work
Epilogue

The Trap

8 5 0
By ilike2write

King Suffle waved a parchment at Sophie. "Look at that. We have a schedule."

Sophie looked at it and exclaimed, "Another month? Aren't we all prepped enough?" She pointed at the arena which they had built for the tournament. "The discussions already took a whole month," she pouted.

"Think about the weather. Even though we have had clear skies for quite some time, the rains are not over yet. We don't want our wins to be spoiled by a little water now, do we?"

"I guess." Sophie shrugged.

Sophie took the parchment and read it more thoroughly. The tournament was to last for seven days. Most of the events were scheduled to take place on the grounds. "So that most people can see," the king explained. But there were some events that could take place only on the participants' terrain. Those events were to be held simultaneously on alternate days.
Sophie had no interest in events like arrow-aim, fast-fly or fist-fight. She didn't even read the events for humans and nymphs. Her eyes were on the prize for swordskill.

"Well it certainly gives me more time to practice." Sophie had won the internal compitition of swordskill among the starlite females.

"Me too," the king replied with a smile. He had won the same among the males. He wasn't satisfied with his win because his son had refused to take part in the compitition citing his inability to procure any spare time in the midst of the preparations. The truth, that everybody knew, was that he considered such things to be beyond his station. Sophie could swear that she had seen him smile when Princess Mishty had lost her fight.

"I'm pleased with the arrow-aim tryouts yesterday. Even the fighters are good."

"I wanted to ask Your Majesty about the names. Can't we just call it archery and wrestling? The fighters are going to use more than their fists."

"The idea came from Peshtim." The king showed his palms. "The names apparently make the war tactics feel like tournament events."

"But fast-fly? What's wrong with race?"

"Speaking of that, I'm disappointed that our fastest flier will not be participating."

"Why? What happened to Berta?" Berta was the royal messenger and the fastest starlite Sophie knew.

"No, she'll be representing us at the tournament. But there is someone faster than her."

"Sulphur is not faster than..." Sophie's eyes flickered to the past, but before its shadow could reach her face, she flicked it off. "There's nothing to be done there," she said with as much composure as she could muster.

Suffle ignored the redness of her nose and continued, “I’m just fed up of these boys, Dai is too busy, Neal is too busy. How are we supposed to win anything?”

His attempt to change the subject succeeded. “Prince Neal is not participating?”

“No, and he could have participated in anything; fist-fight, swordskill, and even,” Suffle paused, “I can’t remember… the thing that the humans use for travel, what is it called?”

"Horses?"

"Yeah, horseriding. But what can we do.” He waved his hand. “You seem to have learned quite a bit about the humans."

"Not as much as I would have liked."

"Then you should meet more humans."

"I don't know that many."

“Have you ever met the empress?”

Sophie’s ears tingled. She was warned about it. “Yes, but not properly.”

“She has invited you to visit her.”

Sophie pressed her lips. The threat was becoming real. “Why?”

“Oh, nothing to be afraid of.” Suffle said avoiding her eyes. “You know how queens and empresses get bored easily. They need entertainment.”

“So I’m entertainment?” Sophie was hurt.

“Making the empress’s acquaintance will be good for you.” Suffle ordered.

“I don’t want to,” Sophie said pinching her nose.

“Are you afraid of her or something?” He frowned.

“You know I never lie,” Sophie said. “I expect the same from you.”

Suffle crossed his hands. “I’m not lying. The empress wants to meet you because she is bored.”

“And?” Sophie did not falter her gaze from his face.

“And what?”

“What will she do with me?”

“She is not going to eat you.” He shook his head and sighed. “She’ll talk to you and maybe play a game of nisiman with you. I told you we were playing nisiman.” The king was irritated now. Natasha had owned him at nisiman.

Sophie knew that not going would be better for her. If the prince had warned her, it was for her own well-being. But curiosity got the better of her and she said, “Okay. I’ll go.”

“Good,” Suffled said with a reassuring smile, “Tomorrow at noon.”

“The royalty should remember that the gentry have work to do,” Sophie commented.

“She is your employer. Tell this to her tomorrow when you meet her.”

"I doubt that I will."

Suffle chuckled. "And how is your guardianship going?”

“Can’t complain.”

“You are in good company,” Suffle said.

“That I am. There are the weekly meetings, the captains and troops are good. No major problem so far with the nymphs either.”

“I'm glad to know that you are happy."

Sophie was curious and cautious about her meeting with the empress. She spent her morning wondering about the plot against her, as the prince had put it.
The prince at the time was approached by his mother, “I haven’t seen any of your new painting in months.” The castle walls were filled with Neal's artwork and Natasha was used to see a new piece pop up every few weeks.

“I have not been getting time to paint,” he lied with a smile on his face. “With the upcoming tournament and its preparations.” Landscapes were made to be displayed, but not the portraits that he had made during the past months.

“You reek of paint,” she said, “as always.”

“Looks like I need to invest in some perfume,” he said tersely. "It won't be proper if our guests find me smelly.”

Natasha understood the jab he had made regarding Princess Marya, but she let it go. It was a habit of Neal to torment his mother as much as possible. And it was to his credit that he did it while playing the part of the happy and charming prince that he was supposed to be by the public.

He had made a shield around his heart and his life and noone was allowed inside. He was always alone, always free. No servants were allowed to surround him, they all did their jobs and left. But the most important function of his shield was to keep Natasha out. She was the one who had hurt him most. No matter how hard she tried or what weapons she used, the shield remained impenetrable.

"If I was not able to see through his fake smiles, I would've also been fooled to think that he is happy with his life, just like everyone else," Natasha said to herself and then enquired about the preparations for the upcoming tournament.

“They have smoothened the grounds,” Neal informed her. “Today Barthlow will digging the plinth. In fact I was just about to leave. I have to put the first brick.”

“Good,” she replied.

“It would be good if you came,” he said as a formality.

“I would rather not,” she said. “You can manage just fine on your own. Besides I have a game of nisiman to look forward to.”

“Who is it this time?” he asked dryly.

“Sophia Antofurota.”

The much awaited guest was greeted at the gate of the castle by a girl in her late-teens. “The empress is waiting for you. If you could follow me,” she motioned and started to walk.

The guide looked aloof and uninterested. Her face was covered in freckles and acne. “Here we are,” the girl said stopping at a door, “Please wait here.” She went inside and Sophie heard the empress’s voice inviting her in. Sophie went through the open door.

“Your Majesty,” she saluted.

“Please sit.” The hostess pointed at a seat in front of her.

Sophie sat down on the edge of the chair.

“Please help yourself,” the empress said as a servant brought refreshments and she busied herself in making tea. Sophie found it odd that the empress didn't order a servant to make the tea. There were at least ten in the room.

Sophie looked at the empress not knowing what to say. Her figure was intimidating, with big shoulders and dark eyes. Neal’s hair reminded Sophie of the night sky while his mother had hair the colour of coals. The prince had inherited her complexion though. Her nose was broader than his, and her thin lips were curved into a smile.

“You are very quiet,” the empress observed. “I hope I’m not trespassing on your time.”

“No, Your Majesty,” Sophie said quickly, “I’m just concerned about the purpose of this meeting.”

“There is no need to fear,” the empress assured.

Sophie gave her the best smile she could muster and thought, "Why would she think me afraid? Unless there is a reason to be?"

“You play nisiman, don’t you?” Natasha asked her.

“I know the rules.” Sophie had practised it a day before with one of the nymphs.

“I love this game,” the empress said. “But nobody wants to play with me,” she pouted like a child.

“Why would such a situation arise?”

“Isn’t it obvious? I rule. They cannot win.”

Sophie nodded although she couldn’t understand the logic behind it.

“King Suffle said that you never lie.”

“Yes,” Sophie confessed, “I make it a point not to lie.”

Natasha chuckled. “I can’t say if it is a good quality or bad.”

Sophie realised that it was the king's doing. “King Suffle suggested you to play nisiman with me?” she asked.

“Yes, will you?” Natasha pleaded while taking out the nisiman set Sophie had not noticed before.

“It would be my honour, Your Majesty.”

“Good.” Natalia opened the semicircle revealing a criss-crossed circle with black and white patches on it. The game board consisted of seven concentric circles. The empress placed a human like figurine at the centre of the board. The aim of the game was to reach the figure before your opponent.

“Starlite or nymph?” the empress asked. Both players got twenty pieces each. Starlite pieces were white while the nymph pieces were black.

“Starlite.” Sophie started filing the white blocks on the outermost circle.

“You know we have to bet on the game,” Natasha said.

Sophie suddenly understood the trap. She could not say no to the empress now. “Bet? But I don’t have anything to bet.” Sophie clenched her sweaty palms.

“You have yourself,” the empress said. She laughed on seeing the look on her face. “Relax dear. If you lose you just have to come here again.”

“And make the same bet?” Sophie gave a half-smile.

“No dear,” Natasha said, “just be present here. It won’t even matter even if you sit like a statue. Although, I’m sure you’ll find it much better to engage in conversation.”

“For how long?” Sophie asked, “I can just come and go in a minute.”

The empress stroked her chin. “The exact time we spend on the game,” she said after a moment of thought.

She asked a servant to get her a time-keeper. The servant returned within a minute with the desired object.

“And if I lose, I’ll give you anything you want.”

“Anything?” Sophie was impressed. “You must never lose.”

“Anything as long as it is not detrimental to the well-being of people, planet and population.”

“Seems fair.” Sophie knew what she wanted and she had promised not to ask for it. She didn’t worry about the matter much as she knew she was about to lose.

Before the empress could make her first move, there was a knock at the door, followed by the freckled girl. She seemed shaken.

“His Highness demands an audience with Your Majesty,” she blurted out while doing the salute. When the empress did not move fast enough; the girl gulped and whispered, “Urgently.”

“I’ll be right back,” the empress said without losing her composure.

She rushed out leaving Sophie alone with the prepped up game board.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.2K 1.2K 37
Pepper boarded the boat for a date with her boyfriend, Harry. Beca boarded the boat because her and her friends wanted to do something fun before s...
723K 27.9K 65
Sophia Bennett, a 23 year old woman, looking for a job which will pay her enough to use that money to pay off the debt she had taken for her sister's...
31.3K 1K 22
Often times when I'm alone, my mind conjures up the image of the pale white moon. It's large, so large that it looks as if it could swallow dear litt...
242 20 19
๛ A international fairy was having fun in her free garden with her master to keep eyes on and take care until she fall into this trap to sent her far...