The Beast

By Schlemiel

Thorns are wicked with barbs that ensnare and bleed those foolish enough to come too close. But their presenc... More

Author's Note (Updated)
Book One
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirteen

64 9 14
By Schlemiel

Ylvir soon left the forests edge, traveling swiftly on all fours, his only other encounter being that with a few rambunctious pixies attempting to snatch his few belongings, which Dandy effectively scared away herself with a great deal of squawking and frantic flapping. After crossing a small river downstream of a troll's bridge, as Lynelda instructed not to cross the bridge itself, he found himself among rolling hills with fields of tall grass where he could lay down to rest for the night. With the few hours of daylight he had left, he removed his beloved book from his pack and some dried meat to snack on, reading the faded letters for the umpteenth time. When the sun fell, he placed it back carefully, his fond thoughts of home influencing his dreams.

When he awoke and set to run again, he found the fields to be his favorite to run through as he no longer had trees to dodge or roots to jump over, and he was just tall enough to see over the grass, which rubbed against him in an unfamiliar, though not unpleasant sensation. Occasionally he would take a break from his sprints and check his compass to ensure he was on the right course or to eat a small snack and take a drink from his waterskin, while Dandy was allowed to wander and find her own meal. However, since the fields were the the easiest for him to travel through they were sadly over quickly.

His next obstacle was the marshes. He had to be careful there, as the thick mud often had pitfalls that led to mysterious creatures no one lived to truly describe. Here, much to Dandy's satisfaction, he was forced to walk, and with much caution. It was very precarious, quite smelly, and strung his nerves like nothing before, but by nightfall, he had safe passage through, making it to the foothills of Garren Peak, technically the final and most difficult challenge on his journey. Once more, he read himself to an exhausted sleep, curling up on the soft grass, his companion tucked beneath his wing.

When he awoke, he began to scale the large mountain, knowing he had to reach the top by nightfall. Lynelda had informed him of a castle built into its side, that he would find shelter there for the night, but offered no other details other than its name—Grey Castle. Ylvir, held tight to Dandy, using his wings to assist in the leaps he made up the mountain. He found very few creatures of interest—only a few small fairies and lizards that darted out of sight as soon as they were spotted. He did see one mountain goat, though he didn't care for the way it stared at him, almost domineering.

The mountain was indeed difficult to climb, especially as he got higher, the air becoming thinner, the vegetation becoming sparser. He had to take many breaks, as his wings had never received such a workout before. The wind began to blow mercilessly at him, biting him with a chill he didn't feel when he was at the foothills. Dandy shivered in his arms, both from the chill and nervousness.

The hours whittled away as he jumped and clawed his way up the great, steep peak, until finally, he could climb no higher. Drained of all energy, Ylvir shambled his way to the edge of the peak, taking in all the sights. It took what little of his breath remained away. Behind him, he could see how far had traveled over the days, seeing from a birds's eye view the dark forest's crowded trees, the expansive fields, the muggy marshes, and the minuscule gatherings of tiny lights that indicated all the villages he had taken care to avoid. Turning to the front he was met by an even greater sight.

He could make out his final destination, the port being much larger than he had ever imagined it would be, and beyond that, until it met the very sky, was nothing but the ocean. Ylvir almost imagined he could taste the salt from there, it was so very close, and so very big.

He took in all the peak's views until the sun dipped into the ocean. With stiff and sore muscles, Ylvir began a small descent, knowing the castle would be there, though he could not see it. It wasn't until he was quite a ways down and very confused, that he looked behind him and actually saw the castle.

It had been carved into the mountain itself, made of its very stone, with intricate details that had been smoothed over many ages of weathering, making it appear as though it had been naturally formed from the land, the mountain looking as though it had been the latter one to grow around it. The sight was almost greater than that from its top, though Ylvir could not appreciate it as much as he would have liked as the sun was setting and the entrance was above him, meaning he would have to climb again.

Finally he reached the gaping entrance, the wind creating a haunting echo that chilled him more than the wind itself. He walked down into the dark cavern, shocked as torches suddenly burst to life to light his way until he reached a great pair of doors, reaching far above himself, carved with beautiful detailing of vines that drew the eye in. With great trepidation, Ylvir pushed one open.

He was brought to a dead stop by the sight before him. Torches lit the great stone hall with a warm glow, as howling laughter echoed throughout and filled his ears, his eyes drawn to the many warped figures that made the sounds of merriment, feasting on the plentiful food that filled the hall almost as much as their noise, the scent of it tantalizing him with its delicious allure. He had never seen nor heard of creatures such as this, with blisters and boils across their tinted, scaly skin, their bodies deformed with asymmetrical limbs and strange appendages, all of them in any sort of shape or size, though they seemed to be altogether harmless as they laughed, drank, and ate together, none of them noticing his presence. He didn't believe Lynelda would send him somewhere dangerous in any case, and she had been right about everything else so far.

He stood there for some time when one of the creatures shouted jovially, "Oi! Did someone leave the door open? Gettin' downright drafty in 'ere!"

It was then that their yellowed eyes turned to Ylvir, each pair widening.

"M-monster!"

Ylvir watched in great bafflement as the creatures tripped over each other and themselves, scrambling for hiding places until only a few ran around in the open, then darted under a table.

Ylvir was unsure what to do, but was somewhat saved when one of the creatures called out from behind a pillar.

"Wait, wait, wait," it said. "We're monsters."

From behind barrels and other pillars and underneath tables came murmured sounds of agreement until each one came back out.

"You there," the same voice as before called to him, and he saw a smaller creature than only came up to his knee with large, batty ears and a sizable, crooked nose, its limbs skinny and joints knotty with hands and feet looking too large for its small body approaching him. "This place is already taken. Go find yer own castle."

The others voiced their own agreement as Ylvir only blinked. "Sorry. I was told I could stay a night here."

They all cackled laughter, some falling over and rolling on the floor. The one in directly in front of him shushed them all and turned to him again, cocking its bulbous head at him. "Yeah, an' who told ye that?"

"Lynelda."

They all stayed silent for a moment, looking at him differently before they whispered amongst themselves. The one in front, the leader it seemed, merely grinned at him with sharp teeth.

"Seen the Lady of Last Resorts, have ye," it chuckled, then gestured him forward. "Well why didn't ye say so? Any fellow monster is welcome here."

"But before, you said—"

"Never mind that," the creature dismissed. "You wouldn't believe 'ow many fools come 'ere thinkin' they can take this place for themselves. Come on then. I'm sure you've had quite the journey."

Ylvir said nothing, still somewhat dazed, and very exhausted as the creature led him forward to great table laden with food. He sat down, feeling awkward in the quiet as all eyes stared at him, until one of the other creatures was shoved from the rest and hesitantly approached him.

"Ah, me and the boys is just wonderin'," it cleared its scratchy sounding throat, "How'd ye get cursed and all."

The leader slapped a large hand against the other creature's mushy head. "Ye all know them kinda questions is rude."

The other creature rubbed its head and mumbled an apology. "Just curious, is all."

Ylvir watched on in curiosity at the exchange, and decided to answer anyway. "I was born this way."

Both creatures looked at him with wide eyes, and he could feel the stares of the others from the shadows. The leader bowed to him, suddenly.

"Ye needn't have been answerin' that," he mumbled, giving a side glare at the other creature that cowered slightly. "We all knows not to ask. Ain't that right?"

All the creatures mumbled a chorus of apologetic agreement.

The leader smiled at him again, then turned to his fellow creatures. "We should be treatin' our guest like the brother he is, right," he called, lifting a frothy mug of ale.

The other creatures came forward, with their own hesitant smiles until they each took their own goblets, glasses, and mugs, lifting them high, and all calling in synchrony, "Yeah!"

Ylvir was awed by the ease the creatures had with him in so short of a time, asking after his name, giving their own, offering him their food and drink, asking after his journey, to which he happily answered. They joked and jeered, each calling him their friend and "monster brother", and some asked about whether they could take Dandy for themselves, which he politely declined. Eventually, they each slowly flopped over and dozed, laying across the tables, the floors, and each other. He even saw one snoring away up in the chandelier, a mug still in hand. He found himself in need of his own sleeping arrangements, when the leader, Igleck, approached him with a pleasant smile.

"Ye look worn out," he said, patting him on the feathery shoulder. "Come along. I'll be showin' yer room fer the night."

Ylvir nodded sleepily, standing up wearily and followed the small monster. After some walking down the halls some, he spoke up, asking the leader a question that had been weighing on him.

"Are all of you cursed?"

Igleck gave him a side glance, still walking. "Aye."

"Would it be rude to ask why?" he asked.

Igleck chuckled. "Under most circumstances, but I'll humor ye. Most of us, it be from the castle. She be pretty, but she got even prettier treasures, but they be pretty at a price. We all come fer the treasure, and to take it with us and have riches untold, but it end up takin' us, keepin' us 'ere. We been too selfish fer it, and it be selfish in turn."

"That's terrible," Ylvir said.

Igleck shrugged. "It ain't so bad. The castle be enchanted to keep us fed and we keep each other company. Occasionally, we get visitors such as yerself, and they stay or they shove on. And sometimes we get other fools lookin' fer the treasures, but we try keepin' 'em away."

Ylvir smiled drowsily. "That's actually quite noble of you."

Igleck snorted. "That be a first. Never been called noble before."

"Well, it's true."

Igleck stayed quiet until he stopped in front of a door. "Here be yer room fer the night. Or longer."

Ylvir looked at him strangely. "Longer?"

Igleck smiled at him. "Ye always be welcome here."

Ylvir was touched. He had never felt such openness or kinship than he had with these cursed men. They welcomed him with open arms and treated him as their own. And he could stay. He wouldn't have to worry about being hurt or rejected any longer. He could be safe.

Ylvir shook his head. "That's very kind of you, but I would like to see more of the world," he said, though not completely honest. He did not want to subject these men to his possible rages when they had been so good to him. It wouldn't be fair to them.

Igleck only nodded and smiled. "The offer always stands, Ylvir."

Ylvir nodded graciously. "Thank you."

And with that they parted ways. Ylvir retired to his room, Dandy already sleeping in his arms. It wasn't until he was nearly asleep that he realized for the first time, he felt comfortable being himself that night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 398 32
Life has not been kind to Erica Winters. Hardened by her past and facing an uncertain future, she just wants to get by. Then she is recruited to join...
77 14 14
After her village is destroyed by a powerful daemon, young Naomi sets off on a journey of revenge. Along the way, she meets and befriends fellow trav...
14.5K 448 34
My body trembled, but not from the cold. "You frighten me." His brow twitched, eyes darting around the features of my face. "Frighten, or excite?" Hi...
1.4K 67 42
What happens when all the wicked villains from your favorite childhood fairy-tale stories combine their powers to create a new world? A world where...