Tempest: The Champion

By TheHuntingMockingjay

Europe, distant future. A meteorite impacted on the area of Russia, turning the area into a dead zone. Moreov... More

Prologue: The Dead Zone
Phase 1: The Castaway, part 1
Phase 1, part 2
Phase 1, part 3
Phase 1, part 4
Phase 2: Zoya 2.0, part 1
Phase 2, part 2
Phase 2, part 3
Phase 2, part 4
Phase 3: To the Top, part 1
Phase 3, part 2
Phase 3, part 3
Phase 3, part 4
Phase 4: Trial by Fire, part 1
Phase 4, part 2
Phase 4, part 3
Phase 4, part 4
Phase 5: Tempest is Born, part 1
Phase 5, part 2
Phase 5, part 3
Phase 5, part 4
Phase 6: Stepping Up the Game, part 1
Phase 6, part 2
Phase 6, part 3
Phase 6, part 4
Phase 7: Life's Purpose, part 1
Phase 7, part 2
Phase 7, part 3
Phase 7, part 4
Phase 8: A Fateful Reunion, part 1
Phase 8, part 2
Phase 8, part 3
Phase 9: The Touch of Defeat, part 1
Phase 9, part 2
Phase 9, part 3
Phase 9, part 4
Phase 10: Disclosure, part 1
Phase 10, part 2
Phase 10, part 3
Phase 10, part 4
Phase 11: One Wish, part 1
Phase 11, part 2
Phase 11, part 3
Phase 11, part 4
Phase 12: The Last Challenge, part 1
Phase 12, part 2
Phase 12, part 3
Phase 12, part 4
Phase 13: The End of the Beginning, part 1
Phase 13, part 2
Phase 13, part 3
Phase 13, part 4
Glossary
Timeline

Phase 8, part 4

26 4 0
By TheHuntingMockingjay

I can't look at Maverick with the same eyes anymore. Not now, when I know that this man shared the past with Zoya. He finally took off his mask, revealing his face to the world. That way, I can at least partially see what's happening inside of him right now.

One half of his face is death-pale, the other half is covered in pigment scars. Right now, his dark eyes don't show any signs of aggression. It seems he respects me as an opponent and I'll do the same.

However, I can't ignore the plea Zoya said when I entered the arena.

Sotiris, please, defeat him. I can't cope with his presence. I need him to go.

I can understand why did she say that. Since she took off Maverick's mask during their preliminary fight, she seems disconcerted, inattentive. I know it had to be a shock for her. She needs time to settle with the new situation and that's what I'm going to give her.

After all, I owe Zoya a lot. She lost our last fight on purpose even though she could take both the prize money and the golden badge. Helena is now at home after the first part of her treatment. She looks much more lively and happy, even though the illness took its toll on her.

However, the doctors said she should recover completely if she undergoes the whole therapy.

Because of that, also my position in Katerina's family improved. There weren't any touching scenes with apologizing and "Sotiris, I was so wrong about you", but at least Katerina's parents don't act so hostile towards me anymore. I think the single "Thank you" her father told me after we brought the money home was more than million apologies.

I decided to stay with the sisters. I no longer feel hated and the parents also allowed their daughter to attend more tournamments with me. I think they did it only because of more money I can win, but every reason counts. This way, Katerina became my official partner and now, we both strive for greatness.

However, one obstacle in the journey is right in front of me.

Our arena is called the "Earthquake Zone". After irregular time periods, the arena starts to shake and tries to put us out of balance. I think I can have the upper hand here since stability is my speciality. Just like Zoya has perfect balance, I can firmly stand my ground no matter what happens.

Arena configuration complete. INF system active. Champions on their spots. Ten seconds for preparation remaining.

Get ready. Begin.

I manage to unfold my shield just in time to block Maverick's first attack. The impact of his artificial fist makes my arm tremble. And that's something unusual since my prosthesis, Titandust Paladin DEF-800, is made for extreme durability and resistance.

Maverick starts to repeatedly punch the shield with both fists. And this is also where his half-deranged expression appears in his eyes again. I know that my best strategy against Maverick's beserker rage is to stay calm and stand my ground.

Stand your ground. Like a rock. Or a tree. Never let anything throw you out of balance and don't move unless you decide so. This is what Anatoli taught me when we started training for my Champion carreer. And so I stand here, like a rock, and let Maverick's anger consume him.

Another thing that works in my favor - Maverick seems to get tired easily. Most of his victorious fights are decided quickly. If I manage to drag the fight out a bit, his performance will decrease, also becuase this is his second fight today.

I let Maverick try to break my defense as much as he wants.

Shortly, I hear a siren warning against the first earthquake.

...

The ground shakes under our feet. I stand there, immovable and perfectly focused. Maverick didn't lose his balance as much as I hoped, but he still slightly staggers backwards. That's all I need. I rush forward with my shield ready to strike. My plan is to smack Maverick's head with my shield, and then, before he recovers, transform it into a lance which I thrust into his chest.

This move was proven useful many times and usually earns one Clash and one Fatal point.

I attack with the shield. However, Maverick surprises me by catching the shield's edges and stopping it. The earthquake ends and he stands firmly again.

He starts to push the shield down. I counter by pulling it up. However, it seems that Maverick is stronger. The shield, alongside my artificial arm, slowly slips down, uncovering my head and chest. Once the shield is low enough, Maverick strikes. He pushes me backwards and thrust his fist into my face.

___|___ | Castor | Maverick | ___|__O

When I stop seeing double, I have to face another attack. His fist is only a few centimeters away from my face. I raise my organic hand and grab Maverick's fist, then try to twist his hand. He replies by using his other hand to strike. I block it with my shield.

After a while of struggle, I manage to push his hand aside and headbutt him. It is a dangerous move which gives a Clash point to both players, but at least it helps me to gain the upper hand again. I transform my shield into lance and strike.

Even though it seems Maverick is staggering, he evades. Then he grabs the area behind my elbow, that's where the lance ends, and twist my arm easily like it was made of jelly. I shout as Maverick gets behind my back and sends me to the ground with a crushing kick.

Before I can even land, my opponent grabs the back of my head and smashes it on the ground.

O__|___ | Castor | Maverick | XX_|___

Damn it. Maverick, or Isaiah, is only one step away from victory. But what's even worse: before he smashed my face into the dust, he said: Stay away from her. At least that's what I heard. It's clear he was talking about Zoya. But why would he say that? They parted ways, at least that's what Zoya told us.

Maybe his obscured mind isn't sure whether he wants to let Zoya go or not. Whether he still loves her. Or maybe this is what is he trying to protect Zoya from. According to what Zoya said, he is aware of his problems. He probably realizes he would sooner or later kill anyone who'd get close to Zoya.

Maybe he's winning because I also have to fight the power of his fierce jealousy.

Well, it's time to knock some sense back into him.

I roll on my back and try to look confused and harmless. Isaiah takes the bait and attacks. But before he can smash me against the ground again, I quickly raise my lance and let him fall on it. The INF system stops the lance from impaling him.

I take advantage of his surprised shock. I raise the lance a little higher and slap him. He staggers backwards.

OO_|__X | Castor | Maverick | XX_|___

My opponent once again enters his trance-like state where he just shivers and huffs. Is his energy delepeted? I decide to take advantage and charge at him with my lance raised.

I was wrong.

When I get too close, Maverick looks at me, his pupils narrowed as if he took a strong drug. With a beast-like roar, he jumps at me. I unfold the shield and hide behind it, prepared for the worst. However, Maverick's attack can't be stopped anymore. He lands chest-first on my shield and I use his kinetic energy to shove him aside. He falls on the ground and rolls several times.

A siren. The second earthquake incoming.

The trembling ground under our feet makes Maverick unable to stand up. I advance forward, a little sloppily, but I can keep myself on my feet. I stand above helpless Maverick and raise my lance to strike. However, at that moment, the earthquake ends.

Isaiah takes the chance and attacks my legs, tackling me to the ground. Then he stands up - we switched positions. Then he aims his palm at me. There is a hole in the middle of his artificial hand. I've seen what it does only once - yesterday, when he used the steam cannon for the first time against Zoya.

A dirty weapon capable of both blinding and damaging the opponent.

Maverick gives me a wild smile followed by a loud hissing sound.

...

I managed to raise my shield in time.

Above me, I see nothing but a cloud of mist. Water droplets fall from the edges of the shield. The heat and humidity engulf me. If I didn't block the steam shower, I'd be finished.

However, Isaiah expected me to block the steam with my shield.

He kicks the lower edge of the shield, shoving it aside and leaving my chest unprotected. He stomps at the wrist of my artificial hand and pins it to the ground. Then he raises his other foot and stomps at my chest, knocking the wind out of me. Not even my leather breastplate can stop Maverick's crushing power.

Fortunately, it's not enough to score a Fatal point. But he raises his foot again.

I raise my healthy hand and catch Maverick's foot before he stomps. I feel my bones protesting and since the INF system is needed to protect them from shattering, Isaiah scores another Clash point. Now it's do or die. If I want to win, I can't let him touch me.

I yank his foot aside, throwing him off balance. As soon as I feel the weight on my artificial wrist disappearing, I quicky form the lance and pin Isaiah to the ground before he falls. The lance is now aimed at his stomach and scores me a solid Fatal point.

The score is even.

OO_|_XX | Castor | Maverick | XX_|_OO

It's good I managed to even the score after Maverick's initial extravaganza. But my quest to fulfill Zoya's wish isn't over yet. I back off as Maverick gets back on his feet. The redness on his face is almost gone, just like his deranged expression.

Now he realizes a single mistake can cause his defeat.

It would be the best for me if I inicited his rage once again. Fighting against calm, collected Maverick is probably even more dangerous than taming him in his beast mode.

I start to elaborate a plan in his mind. It's risky and dangerous, but it offers me an opportunity to finish Maverick off quickly. If only I could predict when the next earthquake happens.

We stand against each other and play the waiting game. Maverick tries to recollect himself while I try to recover from all the beating I received. Everything is dead silent, even the audience stopped cheering. Do they want to see me defeat the feared Maverick?

In the complete silence, I feel something moving under my feet.

It's time.

"Isaiah," I tell him. "You should just pack your things and leave. Zoya is in good hands. She doesn't need you anymore. You turned into a burden."

It works. His face turns red again as he charges at me with a rageful roar which is drowned out by the siren announcing the quake. While I sand firmly, enraged Isaiah stumbles forward, making him a perfect target for my shield which rushes upwards and connects with his chin.

I made it. Maverick is defeated.

Isaiah stares at me from the ground with his hateful eyes as his emotions slowly fade. I realize I went over the top with my statements. I just needed to make him as angry as possible. I succeeded... but it's possible that my words cut deeper than they should.

"I'm sorry about what I said," I say, offering him my hand. "I didn't mean it seriously."

"It's okay," Isaiah rasps, rejecting my hand and standing up on his own. "You were right. I'll make sure I won't bother her anymore. Just try to be a better friend for her than I was." With these words, he turns around and leaves the arena, hunched up in a defeatist posture.

I can't help but pity him. It's clear he still does love Zoya, but he's also aware that his mental problems are splitting him into two different people. And he doubts the other Isaiah would love her as much as the original one. Would I do the same for Katerina?

I would. If being with me could cause her trouble, I'd leave.

I know how you feel, friend.

I feel both relief and guilt as Isaiah leaves the arena. I asked Sotiris to try his best to defeat him. He did. But now... I have mixed feelings.

His presence didn't allow me to focus. What he became still haunts me. But at the same time... I expected our possible reunion to be happy. But instead, we got a melodramatic story about a slave of the system who is slowly losing his mind. Yet still, I don't want him to be gone.

I'd do the best if I just forgot about him. But that's not possible.

"Maverick finally met a formidable opponent!" the commentator announces. "His vicious strength fell victim to the stone wall of Castor, the winner of this year's Athens Challenge! There are a lot of surprises regarding this mysterious Champion. First, he defeated Nightingale. And now, he was defeated by a Champion who rose like a phoenix from the ashes. What can we expect from Maverick in the upcoming tournamments?"

After the applause, Sotiris returns to the terraces and sits next to Katerina. The girl hugs him. "Great work," she says. "I was afraid he will hurt you. But now, I can boast my Champion was the first one to defeat Maverick in the final rounds!"

"I'm okay," Sotiris mumbles. "I'm afraid I hurt him instead."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

Sotiris sets his tired blue eyes at me. "I'm afraid I took your request too far, Zoya. I needed to provoke him. Say something that would cause him to lose control and make mistake. But I think I said something I shouldn't. Maybe you won't meet him ever again."

Without further questions, I just nod and sit on the chair. At this point, it's just easier for me to turn off all the emotions before they get even more complicated.

"I guess that's good news," Ryan says.

When the day is over, I shuffle back into our cottage. I just want to leave this place and never come here again. If I only knew what the hell do I feel about Isaiah. Do I want to reunite with him, or erase him from my life for good? I saw his deranged eyes while fighting Sotiris. I don't want him to look at me like this. Never. I come to a conclusion that I want to remember him like he was in the Dead Zone.

Later, I'm approached by Sotiris.

I manage to give him a smile. "Thank you."

The large Champion sighs. "Isaiah is a complicated man, indeed. I don't know if you want to hear it or not... but he still harbors feelings towards you. He sincerely wants to protect you from himself. And, if you ask me about my opinion... you should let him. If you let go now, you'll still part ways as friends. But who knows what would happen if you tried to continue. You're two different people now."

"I think you're right," I reply. "But still... it's five years gone within minutes. All we've been through... how we helped each other... this isn't the first time we became different people. Before we met, he was a wandering brawler without any goal and I was a scared, useless child. I gave him a goal. He gave me confidence and protection. And we gave each other purpose."

"I see," Sotiris nods.

My tears fall on the ground underneath me. For some reason, one of Isaiah's statements got stuck in my head and I can't understand why. Maybe it's a summary of everything that happened here in Berlin.

I no longer have a heart.

What did he mean?

Fortunately, the place I should call "home" is not so far away. My slaver lives in Krakow in Poland, that's a part of Visegradia. We travel by train, but fortunately, we don't have to ride together.

I asked the slaver to travel in the first class while I take the second. That way, we're separated (that's good for me) and he can enjoy some luxury for the money I make when I play a trained monkey in the arena (good for him). He should stay away from me as much as possible. Too much happened in Berlin.

Zoya. She now knows who I am. Exposed my shame. I wanted so desperately to hig her tightly and be happy just for a moment. But the things that now inhabit my GODDAMN MIND wouldn't let it last long. I don't regret what I did. Zoya will be much safer if she just stays away from me as far away as possible.

And then, there's the second problem I have to solve. I would love if I just had someone who would make all the important decisions for me, because when I try to decide something, it turns out to be WRONG. In the Dead Zone, I had such person. It's the same person I (Abandoned? Protected?) several hours ago.

My life is falling apart, I'm torn between two possibilities which both seem equally wrong and additionally, I have to focus on not hurting anyone around me, but it's not easy when the people in the train around me are just so DAMN ANNOYING. Two teens chatting and laughing. A mother with a baby. A middle-aged couple arguing over some ABSOLUTE NONSENSE.

Fortunately, we arrive to Krakow without any incidents. Then we go home. Everything in the tiny house is old just like its owner. Everything is made of wood, full of photos, memories and other NOSTALGIC BULLSHIT, things connected with religion, lots of books, only the necessary technology.

My slaver enters the house first, I follow him.

His name is Krzystof Sikora, but since his first name is almost unpronounceable by a non-Slavic person, I simplify it to Kristof. To be fair, he never treated me wrong. But his mere face with white hair, wrinkles, moustache and kind brown eyes, his flannel shirt and a walking cane, all are the symbols of hate for me. He's the person who enslaved me, who made me fight the battles I both love and hate.

"Izajasz..." he tells me. Just like I use simplier version of his name, he also calls me Izajasz, the Polish variant of my name. "Please, just for this once, let me talk to you."

That's what he constantly tries. To befriend me. I'm not curious about his pathetic excuses about enslaving me. I don't give a fuck what does he do with the money I make. He understands I hate him, but he still tries. He cooks me food - I have to admit it's far from anything I've eaten in the Dead Zone. He gave me a separate room where I spend sheer majority of the time here. He never raised voice at me, never insulted me.

But he's still a slaver. And he can't expect me I'll happily lick the hand that holds me on a leash.

"I'm going out," I announce.

"Going out? What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said!" I burst out. "Maybe you'd think otherwise, but I'm not your slave. I can do whatever I want. And I don't give a damn about some contracts. I've already made you hundred times the money you invested, so it would be alright even if I left this goddamn place and never returned!" I have a strong urge to take the cashcard I got from the Berlin challenge, but I control myself. I'll need these money.

Kristof shrugs. "Well, I can't stop you. You are right."

"The hell you can't."

"Just one question before you leave, Izajaś. Why do you hate me so much? I give you everything you need, yet still you don't allow even one chat with me. If you just tell me what do you wish for, I'd do as much as possible to make it come true. I don't want you to see me like a slaver. You're not my slave. I thought we would become... friends. But with your attitude..."

"In that case, take the money I made and buy a new slave who will be able to play your goddamn games."

Only with the cashcard in my pocket, I leave the house. As I told Zoya, Kristof was my slaver, but also my guidance. I look over my back several times, checking if Kristof doesn't try to follow me. He doesn't. Is he afraid? Or does he just respect my decision?

Maybe I'll come back, maybe not. One thing is for sure, Kristof won't see me for a few days now. I have to admit, I'm scared. I'm alone in this world for the first time. I'd rather fight a whole hostile Tribe on my own than navigate through crowded, noisy places to find my goal.

I clench a small, crumpled piece of paper in my hand. It contains instructions about what should I do and where should I go. The first step is finding the Krakow train station. I've already been many times there, so it's not a big problem to find it.

Then, my task is to buy a ticket and board the right train. I'm successful, even though the amount of people around me makes me uneasy. Performing in a mask has another benefit besides protecting Zoya from the harsh truth. Nobody recognizes me so I don't have to deal with annoying "fans".

I find the loneliest seat possible and begin my journey. At its end, I'll find my new guidance who'll tell me about the new purpose of my life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.5K 4.4K 52
[18+ COMPLETED] BOOK 2 A war that destroyed the world. It came and it went, leaving death and chaos in its wake. In the resulting turmoil England ha...
110 0 31
Set in an alternate future where the government rules over all and those who don't follow the status quo are sent to a prison called the Camp to work...
123K 3.4K 33
At four, Six had been thrown out to fend for himself in the uninhabitable zone. Ten years later he is doped and shipped off to another planet as an a...
668 157 38
[The Tempest trilogy: Book 2] After the incident in Ostrava's Neoclash arena, Zoya faces dangerous challenges. Nightingale's uprising threatens to de...