His asset

By Clarajemmanuel

Amanda, a twenty-five year old lady got robbed of her livelihood by a mystery 'secret admirer', causing her t... More

CHAPTER ONE: INTRUSION
CHAPTER TWO: THE HAVOC
CHAPTER THREE: PILLAR OF ANGUISH
CHAPTER FOUR: GRACE TO GRASS
CHATER SIX: BEGINNING

CHAPTER FIVE: SEEKING

164 53 65
By Clarajemmanuel

Vacating the bed as soon as the alarm went off, I stripped off my clothes and stepped into the shower, yawning. The memories of the latest happening still latched in my mind, etched on my heart. Deciding too early not to dwell on that for fear of breaking down as a tear already slipped down my cheeks mixing perfectly with the running water like two identical twins separated from birth and finally meeting each other for the first time in years, I concentrated on the positive aspect of life. In just few hours, I shall get my life back on track. I wrapped a towel around my body and another on my head for drying.

With two swift stride, I stood in front of my closet and deliberated on what to wear. Finally, I concluded to go for a black knee-length skirt, along with a red shirt coupled with matching sandal. After applying coconut oil, I threw on my attire, added brown powder to my face, Outlined the top of my eyelid using eyeliner, Stretched my eyelash with mascara, then turned my lips nude.

I gave a quick check of my watch to make sure I wasn't running late for the job hunting; slung my black portable handbag making certain to insert my certificate before heading out.

Checking in where I'd worked years back would be outrageously humiliating. Abandoning the option, I took a cab to Everis, grocery producing company located not more than a mile away. Liquid moistened my palms as soon as I dropped off and headed past through a giant black gate with the companies very reputable name engraved on a white broad iron board serving as means for advert. I demanded for the human resources and was informed straight away by the yours truly that there wasn't any job for me in the perfect company; reason because I was with a second class credential and not First Class. I left plastering a scrunched up nose that conveyed my disgust and the beginning of irritation.

Never giving hope, I tried for intercontinental world trust bank with hope of securing a job as a graduate of accounting. My lips pressed tightly at their own accord on my way out after receiving yet again another disappointing negative reply.
I had in the past secured my first job without stress. It seemed like the entire world was against me, now. My shoulders sagged in union with the sadness threatening to bury my existence in its endless depth.

Suddenly, I jumped a feet away, startled as a sound capable of challenging that of thunder, blared right into my ears sending my heart to my throat. Whipping my head to the side, I was shocked to realize that I had mindlessly walked majestically to the center of the busy road. My eyes widened on taking sight of the tons of cars rooted in place with their owners all glaring angrily at me behind the windshield.
Not able to get my voice, I whispered a sorry as I took to my heels away from the middle with several curses like: stupid bitch, witch, asshole, dingbat, sending me off.

Still, I didn't give up hope. Determined, I continued my search. Refusing to relent by giving up the job hunting for the day. Wasting the remaning hours at home with nothing tangible to do was like staring all day at a blank television. Depression might set in.

3:00 PM, I was still on it. My legs trembled in exhaustion under me. I felt sweat dribbling like a professional football player from on top my skull, down to my forehead. Bringing out my kerchief from my bag, I brushed it across my head with so much annoyance partially blaming it for the repetitive futile result. Winced when tiny stinging pain registered in my head as an after effect of my action. At that moment, regretted having dumped my first job. Technically, if I hadn't, I wouldn't have established the beauty salon that I was robbed of. Then-just then, a massive construction ahead of me came into view. Having some knowledge about the company and its successful operation, I felt nervous trying my luck in there. Reason unknown.

With each step I took towards it, my legs seemed to reduce its alacrity. After what felt like ages, I halted briefly five pace away to flex my shoulders to chase away stress before proceeding in. Looked to my side on hearing a whistled-call from a man. "Hey, pretty girl. What's the name?"

I eyed up-to-down the man whose white shirt and dark blue khaki pant are fixed together with the help of a black belt right above his protruding belly like a seven months pregnant woman. Impressive combination of uniform on a comical body. Suppressing the urge to unleash my day frustration on him, I continued ahead wondering why a gateman would be flirting on duty; also wondered why I was wondered about it on the first place. I Stopped yet again to cast a glance at the top of the sliding door when a sparkling blue and grey object captured my attention. The name VISCO boldly written on it. I weighed it on my tongue and instantly fell in love with the sound of it...well, to be truthful, I didn't literally loved it per se, but I pretended to when the dumb prospect of getting a job in the company simply because I admired its name, flooded into my head. Snapping my self out of my mouthing trance, I threw my feet forward marching through the metal detector to the main building.

"You are welcome. And do have a nice day," a fair skinned brunette who obviously happen to be one of the receptionist, said with radiant smile, to a man in dark jean and blue T-Shirt. Returning an equally refulgent expression, he went away promising to call in the next day.

"Good afternoon to you. How may I help you?" she said to me, still conveying the outlay beaming.

Plastering a bigger bribing smile, I told her, "here to verify if a worker is needed."

The smile on her face slowly sculptured itself, deflating into a frown. Who employed such rude human. "The only vacancy I was informed earlier of in marketing department has already been filled. Have a nice day," she finished, downcasting her face to her laptop.

If it wasn't for the nagging feeling informing me that she was partially lying, judging by the way her sharp brown eyes twinkled with something that appeared to be mischief before she averted it completely, I would have walked away without looking back. But since I detected a possible fishiness, I didn't budge. My stubborness kicked in. Set to demand for the human resources in case she tried to indirectly shoo me away; I tapped my hand on a sparkling gray transparent giant stone counter, made out of what I guessed to be benitoite, to gain her attention. "I Will appreciate it if you make enquiry first, before concluding."

As though poked with a gigantic needle in the butt, she raised her head sharply to gaze at me-half-glare at me, to be specific. The remainder of her politeness disappeared from her countenance. Disdain written in all shade of colors on her face.

What the hell is wrong with all the employees of this damn company? From the silly guard, to the mannerless receptionist.

"Do I have to make a second enquiry to believe that there is no job for you on here?" I let go of my cogitation, early to witness her black irises dart in annoyance. "I don't have all the time to explain in details like I would to a petulant toddler just in case you are waiting for me to do just that. Excuse me, I've got loads of duties to attend to." she focused on her computer again, her fingers clicking rapidly away.

Her attitude, unnecessary bad interaction proved my instinct to be correct. Skipping the urge of demanding as to why she was unnaturally selfish to a stranger, I attracted her attention once more by slapping my open hand on the counter. Gritted back an involuntary moan of pleasure as my vengeful spread palm came in contact with the surface. Her eyes leveled up to rest distastefully at me. This time, not withholding.

Suddenly, her crimson painted mouth grew into substantial simper. Surprised by the unexpected change, I blinked to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Then my eyes lit up in realization that she might have been toying with me by acting rude, or must have returned to her senses to know she shouldn't be insolent to people as much as the company was involve. "I really need to secure a job..." the remainder of my unvoiced words died back when I discern she wasn't looking at me, rather ahead of me where she directed the ridiculous mystery beaming.

I followed her train of sight, my eyes rested on two men in expensive suits. One was younger, and the other older. The older had a grin on his slightly wrinkled face, while the younger's face was set in a hard impenetrable frown. He patted a finger on his clean shaved jaw, glanced behind him when the older man pointed at something.

Could they be family. Father and son? And why the hell is she smiling like the roasted head of a goat. I riveted back at the lady, On the spur of the moment, received without consent, a foul mood, speciously getting a mental slap for wasting a second. I sighed audibly when her eyes still flooded at their direction. To be precise, I suspected the younger's responsible for her gawking.

Fully irritated, I wave a hand in front of her face. Her body visibly tensed as though snatching herself from a daydream. Her glare appeared. Patently not taking lightly my intrusion.
"How many times do I have to tell you of how unlucky you are not to have come before now?" she said in a surprisedly low voice that carried with it enough venom more than a raised voice would have.

Now understanding how futile it would be to keep pushing it less she attract attention and have me hauled out, I grudgingly mumbled a sarcastic 'thank you' turning on my heel, I bumped into an oak of a being. My cell phone which had been in my hand, clattered to the floor. Muffling a groan that promised to shake even the structure, unable to conceal my frustration further, I glared up at the person, ready to heap all of my misfortune on him.

My breath-caught in my throat on linking eyes with pairs of dark ones--the shade of darkness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 117K 58
"แ€›แ€พแ€„แ€บแ€žแ€”แ€บแ€แ€ผแ€„แ€บแ€ธแ€”แ€ฒแ€ทแ€žแ€ฑแ€†แ€ฏแ€ถแ€ธแ€แ€ผแ€„แ€บแ€ธแ€€แ€ผแ€ฌแ€ธ แ€กแ€œแ€ฝแ€พแ€ฌแ€•แ€ซแ€ธแ€•แ€ซแ€ธแ€œแ€ฑแ€ธแ€€แ€ญแ€ฏแ€–แ€ผแ€แ€บแ€€แ€ปแ€ฑแ€ฌแ€บแ€แ€ซแ€”แ€ฎแ€ธแ€™แ€พแ€ฌแ€™แ€พ แ€„แ€ซแ€™แ€ฑแ€ฌแ€„แ€บแ€ทแ€€แ€ญแ€ฏแ€…แ€ฝแ€”แ€บแ€ทแ€œแ€ฝแ€พแ€แ€บแ€แ€แ€บแ€–แ€ญแ€ฏแ€ท แ€žแ€„แ€บแ€šแ€ฐแ€”แ€ญแ€ฏแ€„แ€บแ€แ€ฒแ€ทแ€แ€šแ€บแŠ แ€œแ€ฐแ€แ€ฝแ€ฑแ€€ แ€žแ€ถแ€žแ€›แ€ฌแ€™แ€พแ€ฌ แ€›แ€ฑแ€…แ€€แ€บแ€›แ€šแ€บแŠแ€แ€‹แ€บแ€€แ€ผแ€ฝแ€ฑแ€ธ...
3.1M 129K 59
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally โฃ๏ธ Cover credit...
801K 38.3K 26
1950s. ***Story contains mature scenes and Hindi phrases which are not translated in english*** Abhigyan Singh, a Sarpanch of the village named 'Tara...
570K 35.5K 48
๐ˆ๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐“๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฅ๐ž๐ ๐ฐ๐ž๐›๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐‡๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ญ๐ฌ, ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก๐ฌ, ๐‹๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ๐ฐ๐ž๐š๐ฏ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ณ๐ข๐ง๐  ๏ฟฝ...