Remembering You For Eternity

By runexi

[[Book 2 (FINAL book) of "One Lifetime is Never Enough"]] "I would have waited for you forever." The lament... More

!!! Set-Ups and Glossary !!!
2.0 Echelon of Immortality
2.1 Dormant Magnolia (1)
2.2 Dormant Magnolia (2)
2.3 The Unwanted (1)
2.4 The Unwanted (2)
2.5 Ji YuLan - Five (1)
2.6 Ji YuLan - Five (2)
2.7 Departing to Wu Shan Sect
2.8 Love Is Madness
2.9 Reminisce
2.10 The Sword Called Flower
2.11 Learn To Fly
2.12 Forgotten Memories (1)
2.13 Forgotten Memories (2)
2.14 Faces From The Past
2.15 Ao Xiang The Beastmaster
2.16 Doubt and Yearning
2.17 Ominous Journey (1)
2.18 Lei and Bian
2.19 Ominous Journey (2)
2.20 The Guqin and The Sword
2.21 Zuo ZhouLei - Fifteen
2.22 Charmed By You
2.24 Preliminary (2)
2.25 Zuo Shan'er
2.26 Foreboding
2.27 Knowing You Once More
2.28 Royalties' Feud
2.29 Demons From The Past
2.30 Whisper From Another Lifetime
2.31 Trepidation
2.32 A Flower That Grows On Mud
2.33 Dreamscape Of Heaven
2.34 Return of The Yin Maiden (1)
2.35 Return of The Yin Maiden (2)
2.36 Inheritance of a Mother's Love
2.37 Carrier of Malice
2.38 End of Zuo Shan'er's Want
2.39 Legend (1)
2.40 Legend (2)
2.41 If 'You and I' Were Enough
2.42 The Returned Two
2.43 Qing Lian and Zuo JinLong
2.44 Respite
2.45 Aftermath
2.46 Yun Ying's Legacy
2.47 Dreams of The Pasts (1)
2.48 Dreams of The Pasts (2)
2.49 Threads of Soul
2.50 A White Orchid's Fortune
2.51 The Sky Deity
2.52 No Longer Waiting
THE END
Mini Theatre: Sect Leader Shen Wei
Forgotten Time, Incessant Bond

2.23 Preliminary (1)

5.8K 374 45
By runexi

Days passed like passing clouds; although they were still able to occasionally see Ao Xiang – much to Xiao Zi's delight – YuLan did not manage to see Zuo ZhouLei. It was almost too much for her to bear. It would probably be much easier if YuLan could still 'sense' his presence, just how she apparently was able to when he was born, and then when she arrived at Hui Lin sect.

The same pull found in the two occasions, as well as Xiao Zi's confirmation that Zuo ZhouLei was in fact born on the day that the latter left the Palace, convinced YuLan that this whole business of reincarnation had bound the two of them.

Not that she wanted to complain – her memories were intact after all. She did not know how she could manage to live for another lifetime if she were to not meet her beloved, especially with her yearning for him to be reborn as well which only strengthened with time.

Nevertheless, that radar – that pull, the sense of 'missing something' completely disappeared after she actually met him at that time after passing the entrance of Hui Lin sect. 

So it had become a habit for her to look for his figure in the midst of any blue robed cultivators she saw, whenever she managed to stroll around Lin sect a little. And this had to be done covertly as well, as Cao Lu – the ever worrywart and the person carrying Ping sect's elders' commands – was against YuLan walking out in the open. With or without veil, the Ping sect's disciples were confined to their secluded assigned rooms.

Their dorm was secluded from the other guests, Hui Lin sect had long known of the Ping sect's elders' request to not mingle their disciples with the other sects' cultivators currently present.

Ao Xiang though, as the person responsible to accommodate all guests on behalf of his sect, had the privilege to make regular trips to their courtyard.

YuLan definitely did not miss his slightly wider smile and his sparkling eyes as he involuntarily chose to chat more with Xiao Zi, than with YuLan, Zhen Zhu, or Cao Lu. The shy interaction between the two caused her to be slightly aggrieved for her own behalf. She also wanted to feel the sweetness that Ao Xiang and Xiao Zi were undoubtedly feeling.

"... Though preferably, towards a certain teenage Royal Prince... ," her expression fell as she was once again reminded of Zuo ZhouLei's current age.

Although there was no doubt in her mind that she wanted him, he was still under-age, was he not? YuLan really did not want to go against her modern moral values, leading an innocent youth towards a never-ending storm of surging Spring waves that she would indubitably willingly create... .

Fortunately, the day of the opening ceremony finally came, and YuLan finally had a distraction apart from constantly thinking of a certain someone.

The person that formally welcomed them was one of the Sages of Hui Lin sect. The old aged cultivator briefed them of the nature of the event. Only then did YuLan finally find out the actual reason why she had not been able to physically find Zuo ZhouLei for the past few days.

Apparently, as soon as all of the participating cultivators arrived, their names had been randomly grouped for the upcoming tournament. However, the groups were still formed to pit practitioners' matches to be still within the same rank. Martial Artists would be pit against other Martial Artists; Enlighteneds against Enlighteneds. They would also be segregated further in different peaks of the sect, as one area would not be large enough to contain everyone that would participate.

Zuo JinHai and Yu Mei from WuShan sect belonged to the same group as YuLan and Xiao Zi, all of them were to undergo the preliminary rounds at Green Clouds peak. Everyone else that YuLan knew were housed in different peaks and thus belonged to other competition groups.

Only when she passed preliminary rounds would she be able to perhaps meet Zuo ZhouLei again in Hui Lin sect. Furthermore, this was to happen only if Zuo ZhouLei won the preliminary of his group as well.

Therefore, as soon as their respective tournament groups were announced, YuLan and Xiao Zi were separated from Cao Lu and Zhen Zhu, as the latter two women had to move to other peaks where their matches were to be conducted.

When the first morning of the preliminary formally started, Green Clouds peak was already strengthened by an array of protective seal array. The mountains of Lin sect seemed to extend to the heavens, and the barrier was important to avoid any disturbance from the beasts roaming the sky. To the practitioners and the disciples inside the array, apart from the slightly more dull reflection of the sky on the flowing rivers and waters - if one was to pay attention carefully, there was nothing different from the norm.

A few stages had been set up so a few battles could go on together at once, making the spectators completely free to choose which battle they wanted to watch.

YuLan's first fight was not to start until the next day, so the only thing compulsory for her was to do her daily meditation. The first day conducted fights between Martial Artist ranked cultivators, and not many Enlighteneds served as spectators to the fights – they preferred to use the time to meditate or train, rather than watch battles of people with lower levels of cultivation.

Still, YuLan decided to watch Xiao Zi's upcoming fight. As soon as she arrived at the stage, which was a simple circular clearing that had been leveled and covered with sturdy stone slabs, Xiao Zi was about to enter the stage. She did not even have the chance to worry for her friend though – the fight quickly ended with Xiao Zi's win.

Ever since Xiao Zi consumed the Qi-refining pill when she first got admitted into Ping sect years ago, her cultivation could be said to be on par with Zhen Zhu. Although both were still Martial-Artists, they were the pair with the highest cultivation amongst the same rank.

YuLan smiled; if Lady Mei Gui – Xiao Zi's mother – knew, would she not be delighted that her daughter managed to overcome the hurdle that she could not before? Despite being a Royal Princess of an innate cultivation base that was not compatible to Ping sect's teaching, Xiao Zi's perseverance as well as her 'fated destiny' to have been able to consume the qi-refining pill had brought her to this day.

This had opened an alternative path of future for Xiao Zi's future apart from having to return to the Imperial Palace. If she were to cultivate diligently, it was only a matter of time when she would be the first Royal Princess to attain the Enlightened rank. Being a Sage would be a natural course as well, if there was no other disruption.

"Xiao Zi is not bad at all. In fact, I think she would be able to defeat Yu Mei quickly if they were to fight each other." A familiar voice was heard from beside her. Slightly startled, YuLan steadied her composure and turned her head to see Zuo JinHai already sitting by her side with his palm supporting his chin.

YuLan cursed inwardly. This cultivation world had definitely caused her normally innate ability to sense her immediate surroundings become extremely dull. Of course, this was due to the fact that Zuo JinHai had a higher cultivation base than hers, despite both of them being Enlighteneds. She glanced at him before sighing softly. It was good that they did not have to face each other in the preliminaries. She was not sure if she could win against this person with her current ability. 

Not only that, to be beaten by someone who had a resemblance to the darling of her heart would just bring her grievance.

"Xiao Zi is a very hardworking person," YuLan smiled, returning a little wave towards her friend who had just jumped off the stage and smiled at her. Xiao Zi could not go to YuLan yet though, she still had one more fight for the day, to go against another winner of the first match. YuLan softly spoke only for herself and Zuo JinHai to hear,

"You should know how hard it is for the Zuo lineage's females to cultivate in our Ping sect, given your lineage's yang countenance."

Zuo JinHai nodded, "That is true. One of my contacts in the Palace also told me that Imperial Father has ensured Lady Mei Gui's comfort is maintained more than the normal concubine's standard. Xiao Zi has definitely made her mother proud."

"Your contacts?" YuLan blinked. Zuo JinHai had left the Imperial Palace to undergo tutelage at Wu Shan sect since he was small. It did not occur to YuLan that he still maintained relationships with his retinues at the Palace. How could it be possible? As with Chun Ping Gu and Hui Lin, Wu Shan sect was located far away from the Palace. A cultivator's life was secular as well, making it hard for someone to maintain contact with the normal world outside.

"I have my ways," Zuo JinHai smiled, understanding her intrigue. There was a trace of pride in his smile and his bright eyes when he noticed her bewilderment, "I know that my eldest brother and Zuo ZhouLei also have their own people back at the Palace. Even Cao Lu-jie still has her trusted people."

"Being sons and daughters of the Dragon is not easy, YuLan. You might think we have all been born in riches and power, but those are merely thinly gold lacquered sparkling ornaments, to hide the rotten existence hidden underneath. If we acted haughtily or were careless, we might decay together with the world. Not even our bones would be left."

YuLan was silent. She was not too aware of the Zuo Empire, but in her past life, she had close male friends also of a Dragon's bloodline. The three Royal Princes that she used to know – despite one turning completely insane at the end and ended her life, in her view – did not seem to govern a decaying world.

Perhaps, the current dynasty, in the world that she was currently living in was much more complicated than her last. Her heart became slightly taut. 

YuLan lightly frowned, "But Xiao Zi does not seem to have any contacts with her home, apart from Lady Mei Gui who she periodically exchanges letters with... ."

"She really does not," Zuo JinHai chuckled softly, "My people keep telling me that one of the reasons that Lady Mei Gui attained her comfortable life at the moment, is not only because of Xiao Zi's achievements, but also because of her tact."

"Imperial Father has changed ever since Mother died. He has become a shadow of his former strong, confident self. The inner court, his harem, becomes a constant purgatory of his doubt and suspicion."

"Do you know, that Mother – the Empress – and Lady Shuan, Lei's mother; they both died of poisoning?"

This time, YuLan's eyes widened as she spun her head to see Zuo JinHai. The latter was looking at her in turn with his usual expression. As if the person he was telling her about was completely unrelated to him. She did not know what kind of expression she should show him, but the young man merely slowly turn his head to look towards the stage.

On it, another two Martial-Artists were fighting – they were both trained in bare fist-art, every punch sending small shockwaves that could only be felt as a light breeze for the Enlighteneds. YuLan knew, as was herself, Zuo JinHai was not really watching the fight.

"Quite honestly, no one knew who had poisoned Mother and Lady Shuan. Imperial Father had been trying to curb the cause of their deaths from being found out to outsiders," Zuo JinHai lightly snorted. YuLan could sense anger rippling in his slightly trembling voice,

"Eldest brother's people found out just a few years ago," he clenched both of his fists on his lap, "Instead of focusing on finding who the culprit is, Imperial Father turned a blind eye to it, only building up his own defences, out of fear of being poisoned as well."

"YuLan, you might think I am unfilial. I began to think that the culprit chose the wrong target. Why my Mother? Why Lady Shuan? Why not the Dragon himself?"

"JinHai-xiong... ." YuLan glanced around to make sure that no one was in close enough proximity to eavesdrop, "Best to not say those kinds of words casually in the open... ."

"I know Imperial Father is... was ... a good Emperor though; although he is no longer one to be respected nowadays. Even his Ministers are constantly on the edge, afraid of a single moment of impulse when their little lives might be cut short by the paranoia of their Lord."

"If the culprit is to strike again, I hope they do it properly this time."

"JinHai-xiong," YuLan asked cautiously, "Does Zuo ZhouLei know?"

Zuo JinHai slightly tilted his head at her question. When she realized that her query might be taken out of context by specifically singling out Zuo ZhouLei, she hastily added,

"If he does, would you – three brothers – be returning to the Imperial Palace at some point?"

He shrugged, "I cannot say for ZhouLei. I also don't know if he knows the reason behind his mother's death. But my eldest brother and I will most likely return to the Palace at some point."

"But do you know why we would do that? Eldest brother and I will return to the Palace, but it is not to help the pitiful ministers from my Imperial Father; it is not to govern the world better; it is not to save the lives of the Imperial Concubines on my Imperial Father's chopping block."

"It is to honour my mother's feelings. She loved Imperial Father. Despite being only one of many, she loved him. When we have enough power, eldest brother and I will govern the dynasty to take our father's place. It may not be the best Dao path for cultivation, but our memories of our mother, is our Dao. Imperial Father has to be dethroned and shackled, stripped away from power and paranoia that would just be taking himself away from being the man whose traits used to be loved by Mother."

Zuo JinHai paused to take a shallow breath. His brows were lightly furrowed as he unclenched his bloodless fists and steadied his terse expression that had previously emitted murderous hate,

"After he abdicates, he will be guarding Mother's tomb for the rest of his life, living or in death."

---------- 

----------

[Runexi's notes:]

Yes, yes... curse me. I am back with only one chapter. I figure I will be more steady from now on though, so  please bear with me.

Well, the misunderstanding of the duo Zuo brothers towards their Mother's death is unsettling right? *snickers sadistically*.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 120K 32
Stay in your limits. Don't think that I don't know anything. I cannot forget what you and your mother did to me and with my sister. Be there where yo...
244K 5.2K 124
In her previous life, Li Qinghe married into the Xu family with pomp and splendor but was treated coldly and ignored by everyone in the household she...
505K 35K 37
[BOOK TWO] "Anniversaries to some are like counting the years spent doing something great, years spent together, or years spent alive." I started slo...
19.4K 767 14
Synopsis: Zerhica grew up in a very wealthy family. She was used to a kind of life where she could get anything but all her life, all she ever wanted...