The Phoenix Returns

By ExoticTwist

"What?" I asked her. "Was that Keema with news?" She shook her head, silently. "Who was it?" Kennedy freaked... More

Chapter 2 - I'd Feed That Bitch to the Wolves
Chapter 3 - Tell the Boys, that Daddy Loves Them
Chapter 4 - Where's Our Daddy?
Chapter 5 - I Missed You, Kyson
Chapter 6 - He Doesn't Even Know That They Exist
Chapter 7 - A Very Serious Talk About What?
Chapter 8 - All Of That Is True, Jerk
Chapter 9 - Come On, I'll Make You Some Coffee
Chapter 10 - Tap Out
Chapter 11 - You Know You Want This
Chapter 12 - Shit
Chapter 13 - Somebody Likes It Doggy Style
Chapter 14 - I Can't Just Be Your Friend
Chapter 15 - Fine, Baby Daddy
Chapter 16 - Happy Birthday, Love
Chapter 17 - I'm Happy For You, Angel
Chapter 18 - This Hearing Is Adjourned
Chapter 19 - Shut Up, Ky
Chapter 20 - Never, Have I Ever Jumped From A Roof
Chapter 21 - I Need Another Beer
Chapter 22 - Trust Me, I Look
Chapter 23 - I'm Not Elliott
Chapter 24 - Can I Kiss You?
Chapter 25 - One Word; Submission
Chapter 26 - You're Fucking Declan
Chapter 27 - Can You Help Me With My Zipper?
Chapter 28 - I'm Not An H-O-E
Chapter 29 - Thank You, Captain Obvious
Chapter 30 - Fuck
Chapter 31 - Scarlett Will Understand
Chapter 32 - I Got Your Text
Epilogue - Kyson
Epilogue - Scarlett

Chapter 1 - Lanie...

820 26 2
By ExoticTwist

(Kyson's POV)

I hadn't slept since Keema called me, her words echoed in my head over and over again. I didn't know what to do, what to say, or how to act.

I can't imagine a life without my dad. And I know that we may have had our differences in the past, but we are working on gaining a better relationship. Just like I did with my mom.

My mom.

I swear, I wouldn't be where I'm at if it wasn't for her. She has been the wind beneath my wings and I appreciate her everyday.

She had forgiven my dad for what he did and what he put her through a long time ago. And she understood why I was so upset with him for so long. It was fresh to me. I just found out, while she had many, many years to adjust and make peace with it.

I was older now, and more mature when it comes to certain things, more level headed. Lyle has kept me honest and humble, my best friend is more than I can ask for.

"Hold my hand, baby." Sophia walked beside me, grabbing my hand. "I'm right here with you."

I kissed the back of her hand with a small smile. I didn't want to be mean to her or push her away, but I didn't really feel like being touched or talked to, I just want to see my dad. "Thanks, babe."

Lyle walked on the other side of me, he knows me well enough to know that I don't want to be bothered when I'm in this specific mood. I tend to keep to myself and speak to know one until I know that everything is going to be okay.

We rushed through the airport, my flight had just landed and I was on edge. I haven't been on edge like this since I testified in Kaiser's and Tyler's case. They ended up trying them together because they committed crimes together.

***

(Flashback to Three Years Ago)

"I call Kyson Blackstone to the stand." My lawyer, Stephanie, spoke up. She was actually Scarlett and I's lawyer. I wanted to make sure that Scar was represented in the best way. She deserves the best defense after what happened to her.

She was still pretty fresh in my mind, and I was hurting for her. I wanted her back, but she made sure to tell our lawyer that she wanted separate testimony days.

I just wanted to see her, just for a second.

I walked up to the stand, the court room was so quiet that you could hear a pen drop. I adjusted the black tie around my neck as it felt tighter than it was just a second ago.

I walked up to the witness stand as the court registrar held out a dark, navy blue Bible. "Kyson Carter Blackstone, do you swear that the evidence that you shall give, shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing, but the truth so help you God?"

"I solemnly affirm that the evidence that I shall give, shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth." I swore, undoing the buttons on my suit jacket, I took a seat in the chair.

My hands slick with sweat as I wiped them on my suit pants. I didn't want to be here today, I didn't want to be here at all, but I had to do this for Scarlett, she needs me. She needs me to help her put away this monster.

Looking around the court room, my eyes landed on Tyler and Kaiser with so much hate, mostly towards Tyler. He hurt Scarlett and made me lose her all in one day.

I hate him.

This is my first time looking over at him since I stepped into this court room. And now I know why I didn't look over at him before. It's because I hated looking at his smug little face. He disturbs me in multiple ways.

Balling my fist up against my legs, I held on a growl.

"Mr. Blackstone?" I heard, breaking me from my reverie. "Did you hear me?" My lawyer was speaking to me. Looking around, all eyes were on me including the judges.

Clearing my throat, I leaned in to the microphone in front of me. "I'm sorry, repeat the question."

"Can you please describe to the jury everything that happened from beginning to end?" Stephanie asked me.

I nodded, clearing my throat once again. "Umm, well, Kaiser invited me to a party after class. He told me that there would be girls, drugs, and alcohol. And I told him that I wasn't interested in anything thing but the alcohol. So, we agreed to meet up at my place and ride to the party together. Well, he surprised me when he pulled up in a brand new truck because he told me that he couldn't afford a car and pay for college. So, I was kind of confused, but I said whatever and hopped in the car with him. We started driving out of town, I didn't think anything of it because I didn't know where the party was. Then he asked about my friend Lyle. Lyle has been beaten and dropped off on my doorstep by goons that Tyler hired."

Tyler's lawyer stood up. "Objection your honor, that information is irrelevant and refers to a completely different situation."

The judge put his hand up at his lawyer to sit. "Objection sustained."

"Carter, refrain from using accusatory or non-circumstantial topics." Stephanie told me. "You may continue."

My ears were on fire at this point, it angered me to think and talk about this shit again. And the fact that I couldn't accuse him or make it known about what he did to my best friend. "Anyway, Kaiser made a mistake, he didn't realize that I never told him about Lyle, at all. He has never even heard his name. So, when I asked him how did he know. He swore over and over again that I told him. I never did. That's when he got really nervous as he drove us into an abandoned warehouse parking lot and pointed a gun to my head." I remember it like it happened yesterday. "He forced me to get out of the car and walk into the warehouse, and that is where Tyler comes into play."

*******

"Carter?" Sophia called my name. "Carter, are you okay?" She asked me, squeezing hand in hers.

I was in my own little head, dwelling on past feelings and weaknesses. And I hated that when something happens such as now, that I can tap into those feelings and nightmares. It was like something so simple snapped me back into a sunken place, a place where I didn't want to be.

Dropping her hand, I walked ahead. "I'm fine." I muttered over my shoulder.

My mom sent a car to pick us up and take us to the hospital, and it did just that. I was going through so many emotions at once. I was anxious to see everybody, especially my dad. Scared because I don't know exactly how he is and how bad his condition is. Regretful for not being here or coming around sooner. And hesitant to see Scarlett.

I paced the outside of my father's hospital room door. I didn't know what to do or what to say when I walked in. I was mad at him for so many years after what he did to mom. We just recently decided to patch things up after I decided not to be mad at him anymore.

I shouldn't have held a grudge for so long.

"Babe, are you going to go in or what?" Sophia asked me. "I've been standing here watching you pace in front of his door for the past 20 minutes."

She was getting on my nerves.

Does she not see how I feel?

I stopped dead in my tracks, she's itching to bring the worst out of me. "Soph, baby..." I trailed off. "Shut up. How are you going to stand here and tell me how I should feel?"

"Carter,—" Sophia started, but I cut her off.

I wasn't finished. "I'm going to need you to stop acting like a bitch right now. I need to do this on my own terms."

"Carter!" I heard the familiar voice, but when I turned to look at her, the voice didn't match the girl I've always knew. She was so grown up, and so beautiful. She was nothing like the little girl I left years ago.

And just like that, my mood switched as I seen Lanie standing in front of the elevators. The doors had just dinged close as she smiled at me. Beaming at her from down the hallway, I chuckled out of excitement to see her. "Lanie." I breathed.

Running to me, she jumped in my arms, and wrapped all her lumps around me. I hugged her like it could make all my pain go away in an instant. She made it better, but she didn't make it go away.

"Carter, I missed you." She squealed.

"I missed, Lan." I chuckled in disbelief. "I can't believe I went three and a half years without you."

She giggled as I sat her down on her feet. Lanie stepped back from me and glanced behind me. "Who's this?"

Narrowing my eyebrows, I turned around to see Sophia glaring at Lanie. "Shit, babe. This is my little sister, Lanie. You've heard me talk on the phone with her."

"You mean the little sister that really isn't your little sister." Sophia gave Lanie a fake smile as she wrapped her arm around me. I literally wanted to ship her back to LA.

I clenched my jaw in anger. "She is my little sister, Sophia."

Sophia is always so possessive and territorial. I don't have any girl friends because she doesn't allow me to. She chases them all away, but I'll be damned if she chases Lanie away.

"This is your girlfriend?" Lanie asked me, looking Soph up and down. I gave her a hard nod.

"Lanie..." I warned her.

"You might want to try again." Lanie sassed, placing her hands in her hips. "I don't like her."

"You don't have to like me." Sophia challenged, stepping forward.

Lanie laughed out. "Really? Because if I want you gone, then your gone."

Lanie's right.

I would never choose a girl that Lanie doesn't approve of, that would be stupid especially since Lanie will always be in my life. But Lanie only sees me with Scarlett, and Scarlett only. Any other girl I bring around is never good enough.

Sophia gasped. "Tell her she's a liar, Carter."

"I can't." I shrugged. "Because she right. So, play nice or I'm sure she'll be happy to put you into a submission until you tap out." I chuckled.

Sophia took a noticeable step back. "Whatever."

Lanie dropped it and took my hand, she led me into my dad's room. I didn't want to see him in the state that he was in because I know that I won't be able to handle it.

Keema and my mom were standing by his bedside, on either side.

He was hooked up to all kinds of machines, and IV coming from his arm, tubes sticking from his nose and mouth. He looked really pale and weak, like he only had minutes left on this earth.

"Sam, please come back to us." Keema cried as I stepped away from Lanie, dropping her hand, to go and comfort Keema. "We need you."

I appeared strong, but inside I was falling apart. I let so much unimportant shit get in the way of my relationship with my dad. And if he dies before I can say I'm sorry, I'll never forgive myself.

I was mad at my parents for so long, because I thought that money meant more to them than their own kids did. And the way they pretended like Kinsley didn't exist after she died killed me. My dad grieved with us, but I never seen my mom cry over her. And my dad grieved for a little while, but everything was back to business a few weeks after. They went back to work, busied themselves, locked her bedroom door, and never mentioned her again. I was angry at them, Kinsley meant the world to me.

She was my little sister.

And to think that she wasn't loved by the two people that were suppose to love her unconditionally, always, it made me livid. I hated them.

And I spent so much time hating them when all they wanted was to not think about her because it hurt so much.

My mom told me just a year ago, that she cried every night for an entire year after Kinsley died. She's known that my dad was the father of Davina since she was two. She was devastated knowing that Kinsley died without knowingly getting the one thing she has always wanted; a sister.

I forgave her a long time ago.

And I forgave my dad, but I never forgave him to his face.

I was trying so hard to hold it together. I talked through a clenched jaw to keep from crying because I know, if I start then I'll never stop. "Keema, how is he?" I asked her, pulling her into my arms.

Keema sobbed into my chest. "They say he hasn't changed. He isn't getting better or worse."

I tried comforting Keema, but I honestly didn't know how. She was a distraught mess and I was getting there. I felt like I didn't deserve to have my dad back because of the way I treated him for so long.

"It'll be okay Keema." I told her, but I wasn't entirely convinced that it would be.

She shook her head in my chest. "I don't deserve him. I stole him, he was never mine. God is punishing me." She was in hysterics now, which is probably why my mom walked over to us. She took Keema from as I backed away. I couldn't take it anymore, I ran out of the room and down the hallway. I ran out of the ICU and to the elevators.

I took the elevators down to the first floor and ran out into the parking lot.

I couldn't be in there, not while my dad was like that. I didn't know how to feel, and the fact that Keema pretty much thinks she is being punished.

It's exactly how I feel.

With the way I treated him, I should never have him back.

We don't deserve my dad.

Taking a seat on the bench outside, I placed my head in my hands. "Fuck!" I yelled, dragging my hands over my face. "Fuck, fuck, fuck."

Everytime I get like this I understand that there is only one person that can make me feel better. Not Lyle, not my mom, not my new fake friends, not Soph, and not Keema.

It's Scarlett.

It's always Scar who can calm me down when I feel out of control. I have so many feelings and emotions running through my body at once and it's horrible.

Scarlett's presence alone was calming.

She calms me completely.

"Well, you definitely have a way with words." I heard a giggle from beside me.

Lanie.

I let out a hard, humorless chuckle. "Yeah."

She sat down on the bench beside me, and placed her hand on my shoulder. "What are you thinking about?"

"Has Scarlett been by here?" I asked Lanie. I still hadn't looked up at her.

Lanie rubbed my back, patting it softly. "She's coming by later. She's was here earlier too. She's really close to your dad."

I thought that she would maybe want to come up here to be there for Keema and Davina. I would have never thought that her and my dad would be close.

"Really?" I had to look up at her. "Why?"

Lanie looked away. "Well, she hangs with me a lot and I live there sooo..." She trailed off, meeting my eyes and then looking away again.

There's obviously something that she is not tell me right now, but I let it slide.

"What—" I started to say, but was interrupted by Sophia.

"What the fuck, Carter?" I looked behind me to see her walking out of the hospital, her hands in the air.

I rolled my eyes at how dramatic she's acting right now.

"You still don't let anyone call you by your first name, I see." Lanie teased me.

I smirked.

I think Scarlett will be the only one. Sophia tried calling me Kyson one night and it didn't end well.

After Kinsley died, I didn't want anyone calling me Kyson because that was the name that she called me. A lot of my family members called me Carter. Even Keema and Davina would call me Carter. My dad would most of the time call me KC when I was younger, but he stopped calling me that when we became distant.

"Carter, why did you run out like that?" Sophia asked me, but I just shrugged. "Why are you acting like this?"

Lanie stood up from the bench. "Well, his dad is in the hospital..." She trailed off, like it was the most obvious thing in the entire world. "Why are you guys together again?" Lanie whispered to me.

I stood up from the bench with a small chuckle. "She's not always like this." I told Lan. "She gets nervous around new people."

Sophia heard me and rolled her eyes.

Lanie looked at me like I was crazy. "Isn't she like a wanna be actress or something?" She whispered again.

My eyes widened. No one hardly ever recognizes Sophia. "How do you know that?" I was amused.

Lanie shrugged. "Tabloids."

Reaching out for a sideways hug, Lanie walked into my side. "I love you, little sis." I kissed her forehead and hugged her tight.

"I love you too, big bro." Lanie said back.

"I'm going to get going. I know Soph wants to get to the hotel to shower and sleep." I sighed.

I could use some wash and scrub right about now too, but it was hard for me to leave my dad and it was hard for me to see him like that. I need him to open his eyes and tell me that everything is okay. And I need to tell him that I forgive him, so I know that he knows.

And I know that it sounds really selfish, but I can't have my dad dying thinking that I hated him.

Hopping into the rental that we got at the airport, Soph and I pulled out of the parking space and headed out of the hospital parking lot.

Just as we were about to turn out, Scarlett pulled in the parking lot driving a white SUV. It was a nice truck, first off, the windows were tinted, but not too much. I could still see her. She didn't have anybody else in the truck with her. As she turned in, she locked eyes with me. Her blue ones were still as beautiful as ever, and just like always, I got lost in them; unable to look away.

She looked the same, just more mature, wiser, and sexier. I wanted to stop, get out, and take her into my arms because I know she is the only one that can make the pain go away.

Then her gaze dropped and she looked beside me at Sophia, quickly, she looked away, eyes back in front of her as she continued on.

That was the first time in three and a half years that I've laid eyes on her, and she still gave me those same feelings.

*********

Feels good to be back writing about Ky and Scar!

Like, Share, & Comment!

Xoxo 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 5.8K 32
I felt the tears rise and I looked down for a minute, gathering all of my resolve. I looked up again and stared him right in the eye. "You know what...
763K 17.5K 48
MATURE CONTENT: some may say a smut overload EDITING/REWRITING One night. A night filled with passion and longing. The annual ball has finally come...
1.9M 55.1K 31
[HIGHEST RANKING #1 IN FALLINGINLOVE] It wasn't ever supposed to happen like it did. It wasn't supposed to happen at all... Katarina Rhodes was just...
11.8K 456 48
Yara has started over in a new state, at her new school, meaning new people but she has her besties neeka and harlie to help her through the journey...