Unsteady

By _dripps

Book 1 in the Shards of Glass Series Unsteady ʌnˈstɛdi adjective Liable to fall or shake I felt completely b... More

Disclaimer & Subsidiary
Prologue
01. Gone
02. Alpha Omega
03. You Don't Own Me
04. Wreak Havoc
05. Crash and Burn
06. The Phoenix
07. Breathin
08. Say the Word
10. Let's Get Lost
11. All I Need
12. I Like Me Better
13. In the Dark
14. Run
15. Unsteady
16. Not About Angels
17. Lily
18. Build It Up
19. Stargazing
20. Start Again
21. Do It All For You
22. Don't Get Any Closer
23. Everything Will Be Ok
24. This Feeling
25. I'm Yours
26. Stand By You
27. More Than Words
28. Mine
29. Flight of the Stars
30. Don't Leave
31. Fools
32. Hopeless
33. Memories
34. You Are the Reason
Epilogue
Authors Note

09. Hall of Fame

2.3K 75 16
By _dripps

You can go the distance,
You can run the mile
You can walk straight through hell
With a smile
You can be the hero,
You can get the gold
Breaking all the records
They thought never could be broke
Do it for your people,
Do it for your pride
How are you ever gonna know
If you never even try?
-Hall of fame
-The Script
-Will.i.am

•••••

Dylan couldn't keep me on permanent lock down like he wanted. He didn't even really give me a punishment, just a lecture on how irresponsible I was.

I agreed with him because what person who's running from a complete psycho loses her phone in a public place where he could easily get a hold of.

Dylan threatened to put a tracker on me if I didn't start acting more responsibly. I still never told him about what happened on Friday and wasn't planning on anytime soon.

I know, I know that's stupid of me, but I didn't want him to start panicking. A whole four days have gone by since Friday without any suspicious activity.

Ryder didn't change.

I thought after all that happened on Monday, we would at least get along a bit better.

Nothing's changed.

Ryder has resorted to mostly avoiding my presence and the very few conversations we did have were tiny arguments.

It was only yesterday when Ryder had pushed me against the lockers and begged me to forgive him about insulting Dylan, meanwhile igniting feelings inside of me that shouldn't even be triggered by him.

It's only been a day, but I still thought that he would have at least been a little nice to me. He avoided be the whole day and he didn't show up to English.

He came to school looking like a complete mess, worse than the day he asked me to come to ice cream with the rest of the gang and when I asked Violet about Ryder's appearance, she just shrugged and said that he probably didn't get much sleep.

Aside from Ryder's sudden decision to avoid me the whole day of school, nothing much happened today.

Dylan had decided to train me just before my fight because my opponent wasn't going to be as easy to take down as my previous one.

"Riley, hit the bag not the air!" Dylan yelled at me.

We were in the warehouse where the fights took place, but it was completely deserted except for the two of us and a bodyguard standing at the door.

No noise could be heard except for the sound of skin connecting with leather coming from me. Turns out, the warehouse was full of empty rooms used for training.

Dylan had picked the room closest to the ring to train. The room was mostly empty except for a ring similar to the main one used for the fights. This one was smaller and had a leather punching bag in the middle of it.

I was aiming my punches at the bag, but somehow I kept missing it and instead punched the air even though the bag was thicker than two people standing side by side.

"I'm trying okay!" I yelled back.

I put all my force into giving the bag one last powerful punch and sent it flying backwards. I turned to Dylan and gave him a 'what do you have to say now?' look.

Dylan rolled his eyes at me and then they widened in fear.

"Riley, watch out the-" but his sentence was cut off.

My head snapped back just in time to see a flash of black as the punching bag swung back and smacked me right in the face, throwing me against the ropes of the ring.

I hit the ropes and then slid to the floor of the ring with my face feeling like it had just been punched.

Oh wait it just did, by a non living object!

"I'm guessing you were going to say 'the bag is going to hit you?' " I asked while rubbing my face, remaining on the floor.

I got into a seating positing and leaned against the ropes, the itchy and rough material slightly scratching against my skin but I didn't move.

Dylan grabbed onto one of the ropes and swung himself into the ring, swiftly landing on his feet with a slight thud.

He sauntered over to me and crouched down so that we were eye to eye. He examined my face and having seen no marks or bruises leaned back and sat cross legged, holding his chin in his hands which were rested against his knees.

"Maybe you shouldn't fight today," he said after some time.

I instantly shook my head and wiped at the sweat that had gathered above my eyebrows and on my upper lip.

"No, I'm good. Just slightly distracted," I said.

Dylan looked at me with a calculating gaze.

"Riley, I really don't think you should fight today. You've been distracted since I've picked you up to take you to the ring," Dylan said.

I groaned and held my head in my hands. I was distracted. I wasn't thinking straight, my mind was somewhere else high above the clouds trying to find a possible answer to the question that's been bothering me all day.

Why is Ryder avoiding me?

"I know Dylan. I've just got a lot to think about, but that doesn't mean I'm not ready," I mumbled with my hands still covering my face.

He sighed and pried my hands away from my face and instead held them in his.

"You do know how badly injured you could be if you let your guard down?" Dylan asked me with concern in his voice.

I nodded my head and having seen what my decision was, Dylan lifted me up and wrapped an arm around my waist pulling me out of the training ring.

I decided to take up Barry's offer on getting a room to prepare for my fight. My room was simple with white paint peeling off of the walls, a wooden desk that looked ready to fall apart any second now and a matching old rickety wooden chair.

Next to the desk was a small mirror, only big enough to see the reflection of my face.

On the desk there were several bandage rolls and my extra pair boxing gloves which I had dropped off on Sunday.

I stood in front of my desk as I took off my boxing gloves and unwrapped the bandages around my knuckles and wrapped new ones.

I strapped on my boxing gloves and felt the floor vibrate as someone switched on some music and the period of silence was broken by choruses of shouts and screams.

My fight was second, so I suspected the first fight was beginning already.

I turned around and exited my room coming face to face with a flushed Dylan. The adrenaline was probably already getting to him.

I pushed Ryder and all irrelevant things to the back of my head and instead allowed Dylan to drag me out of the hallway with countless rooms of fighters getting ready for their fights.

We passed a bulky bodyguard guarding the entrance to the fighter's rooms and Dylan gave him a slight nod.

I stood beside Dylan observing the fight before me. There were two women circling each other like hungry predators, each wearing equally scary facial expressions.

Throughout their fight Dylan was pointing out what the fighters were doing wrong and what I should do instead.

I focused intently on what Dylan was saying and didn't let unwanted thoughts creep into my brain. I didn't feel nervous until Dylan pointed out my opponent glaring at me from across the room.

And today is the day my life comes to an end.

My opponent was my size, but what scared me were the amount of scars decorating his body. There were slashes going all the way down his chest until they were cut off by the waistband of his trunks.

His right eye was fully closed with a scar running down it all the way to his jaw.

I averted my eyes from his face when his mouth pulled back into a sneer.

"Guess what they call him?" Dylan asked me yelling to be heard over everyone's screaming and shouting.

I shrugged, pretending my opponent didn't scare me.

"They call him Scar," Dylan stated.

What a shocker...

"No one knows his real name," Dylan said.

I looked up at him and sighed.

"Dylan, I get this is your home town and all, but it's a pretty small town so someone must know his real name," I said rolling my eyes at Dylan's dramatics.

Dylan shook his head at me.

"No one knows who he is in the real world, but that's not what you need to worry about. Riley, he's never lost a single fight. He's cruel and merciless, but he also acts on impulse. You need to outsmart him with your attacks," Dylan said.

I nodded feeling panic creep it's way into my bones and fill me with dread.

"To do that, you need all your concentration okay?" Dylan asked me.

I nodded again, this time with more determination to win this fight and come out alive.

Being on the verge of death is still alive right?

I gasped as one of the women knocked the other down and won the fight. I shook off my nerves and swung my body over the ropes and into the ring like Dylan had earlier on.

Scar made his way into the ring as well, giving me a glare that scared me more than Ryder's ever had.

No time to think about him now! Focus!

The announcer announced our names and shouted for the fight to begin.

I took the first punch straight after the announcer stopped speaking, catching Scar off guard and hitting him in the jaw knocking his head backwards.

While his head was back I gave him no mercy and turned into a...

Killing machine, just like Barry had said.

I landed a few more blows on his stomach and chest.

Scar gained his focus again and just had to punch me once in my abdomen to send me flying against the ropes.

This time I landed on my feet and ran towards him, jumping and kicking him in his thigh making him fall to his knees.

I blocked a punch he sent to my side and brought my fist back and hit him in his nose, hearing a sickening crack.

Scar growled and got to his feet and stood to his full height radiating hatred as his eyes narrowed into slits and glared at me with blood dripping from his nose and landing on the floor.

He swung at my face but I blocked it with both my arms, still managing to stumble back and leaving my stomach unguarded.

Scar gave a powerful punch to my abdomen and sent me knocking into the ropes and falling onto the floor.

I tried to get up, despite my protesting limbs but was brought back down again by a kick in my side.

I groaned and my opponent took the opportunity to send more punches into my sides. Black spots dotted my vision yet I still didn't tap out.

The yelling around me seemed to be getting further and further away and the pain I was feeling seemed to be dulling to a slight ache.

"What's wrong little girl? Where's your confidence now?" Scar asked in a mocking voice above me.

Above? Are you floating?

No Riley! Focus! Come on, get up.

I ignored the voice at the back of my head yelling at me to get up and instead felt a sudden calmness wash over me, lying face down on the ring.

I tilted my head to the side and my eyes connected with a familiar pair of grey ones. Why did those eyes look so familiar? The familiar face flickered under the yellow fluorescent light bulbs as he was pushed behind people screaming at someone to get up.

Wait stranger don't go...come back

Who are they screaming at to get up? Huh I wonder why the person isn't listening...

"What a worthless wimp, and some people call you a killing machine!" Scar yelled at me.

Killing machine...

Suddenly, all the bad things that had happened to my family and I came rushing back to me. I felt something snap inside of me and fill me with red hot anger. Brandon's face flashed before my closed eyes and I was filled with a hatred greater than any emotion I'd ever felt.

Killing machine

I opened my eyes and jumped to my feet with a speed I didn't even know I was capable of. Scar's eyes widened and I pictured his face as Brandon's as I reared back and punched him so hard, my whole arm shook with the force I used.

I didn't stop there.

I didn't even stop when he fell onto his back with white froth bubbling out of his mouth.

Killing machine

I continued punching him. I punched him until his body stopped shaking and his cries silenced.

You'll pay for everything you did Brandon!

I felt a pair of hands grab me from behind and pull me away from Scar.

"What are you doing?" I yelled at the person holding me.

I whipped around and met the startled brown eyes of Dylan who shook my shoulders.

"Riley, it's fine! It's me!" Dylan yelled at me.

I know that! But why did you pull me away from finishing that monster who ruined my life?

I slowly started coming back to reality but I still felt as if I needed to punch something. I felt somehow detached from my body, like I was standing but not really there.

I suddenly felt very lofty and dizzy.

Dylan held out my tank top he probably fetched from my room. I threw it on and looked behind me at the body with white foam spilling from his mouth.

That wasn't a person. That was a horrible statue constructed by the most gruesome person on earth. This wasn't happening, this isn't reality. I didn't do that, I couldn't have. I suddenly didn't feel all that lofty and detached anymore.

I need to get out of here...again

"I'll meet you outside, enjoy your fight," I quickly said to Dylan.

He looked at me with concern but released me anyways allowing me to walk away from him and exit the warehouse.

I leaned against the brick wall outside of the warehouse, the coolness of the air outside bringing me back to earth. The floating feeling was gone and gravity had its claws on me once again.

I took a deep breath in and out and felt my heartbeat return to normal. I opened my eyes and let them adjust to the very little light provided by the warehouse's opened door, and then it all hit me once again.

Scar's body, my attacks

I did that...

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes, letting the silent tears stream down my cheeks.

I didn't want to be a killing machine. I don't want to be what I am. I sniffled and let the tears flow not bothering to hold them back.

I wrapped my arms around my body feeling as if I was going to fall apart. There was an aching in my chest and it hurt so much. I felt like someone had ripped my heart out and in its place was an empty, gaping hole.

The sudden hollow feeling made me realise that I was completely and utterly alone.

I sniffed and wiped away the wetness on my cheeks. I scolded myself for losing control of my emotions and straightened up, opening my eyes and becoming Riley Carter once again.

Across from me was another abandoned building, but what caught my eye was what was going on on the side of it.

I stared at the corner of the building seeing shadows trading something under the dim light of the street lamp.

I silently crept over to where the figures were standing, curious to see what they were doing. I hid against the other side of the building and peered over the edge of the wall to see the two people.

There were two guys, both had their hoods up so I could not make out their facial features.

One of the men gave the other a clear packet filled with a powdery substance.

Drugs. They're trading drugs.

The guy who now held the packet gave the other guy a fat wad of cash. He pulled away from where they were hidden and started walking towards my direction. I pressed myself against the wall I was hiding behind and tried to blend in with the shadows.

The guy walked past me and I let out a breath of relief. I looked once again at the guy who stuffed the cash into his pocket and pulled his hood back.

I gasped and pulled away from the wall to face the figure staring at me with wide eyes, his blonde hair flopping into his startled eyes.

"Noah?" I asked, still shocked.

"Riley! What are you doing here?" he asked me looking like a deer caught in headlights.

"What are you doing?" I asked stepping closer to him so that I was standing right in front of him.

His eyes were still wide opened and he wore a guilty expression.

"Maybe we should go somewhere else," he said.

I shook my head and made a gesture that he better start explaining.

He swore and leaned his head against the wall.

"It's not what it looks like," Noah said looking at me with glistening eyes.

I felt a pang in my chest at seeing his broken expression. I grabbed his arm and led him out of the alleyway and near a building which was clearly illuminated by the street lamp.

We sat down side by side and that's when he took a deep breath and started talking.

"I'm guessing you're wondering what the hell I'm doing trading drugs," he said with a hollow voice.

"You guessed right," I replied.

Noah gulped and faced me with a torn expression on his face.

"My parents were involved with some pretty heavy crap before they were mysteriously shot last year," he begun.

"They were involved with a gang. Not just any gang, the most powerful gang in all of Grey's town, The Bloodhounds. The most merciless, cruelest gang ever known in the history of gangs this town has ever had.

My parents needed money and the bank wasn't much help. That was two years ago, and that's how they got in touch with the Bloodhounds. They helped my parents, but it took a lot to get them to help. My parents became the richest people in town.

They forgot about the gang in their journey to fame. The Bloodhounds returned a year later asking for their money. Even though my parents were filthy rich, they didn't want to pay up. They let money corrupt their brains.

I was at Kyle's house the night they came to my house. They shot my parents, and you know what Riley? I wasn't there to help them! I came home the next day when the neighbours reported the death to the police.

I had a brother once as well. You know what happened to him? Disappeared! Vanished into thin air as if he never existed. The gang came to me the next day, they told me I owed them five hundred thousand dollars. I'm forever in debt to them Riley. So now, I work for them. I sell drugs for them, until I can repay their money," Noah said tears streaming down his face.

I wrapped my arms around him and allowed him to lean his head against my shoulder and sob into my hair. My heart broke hearing his strangled sobs and a sudden hatred started to form in the pit of my belly for the Bloodhounds.

"He was only four years old Riley. He's dead most probably, he's dead," Noah sobbed, referring to his brother.

Then a sudden thought occurred to me.

"Let me help you repay the money," I said.

Noah pulled away from me and wiped his face.

"No, I already have one person helping me. There is no way I'm going to have another person," he whispered.

"Please Noah, let me help you," I pleaded with him.

He shook his head but I saw he was more hesitant than before.

"Noah, I know what it feels like to lose everything. Please, let me help you," I said softly.

"Okay, but please don't tell anyone about this Riley. Thank you so much," Noah said throwing his arms around me.

The smell of Noah's soap invaded my nostrils as I hugged him back. He smelt friendly and like home. Who would want to hurt someone as sweet as Noah?

I sighed and pulled back from Noah letting him lean against me.

"It's like my life has turned into some dramatic teen fiction movie," Noah joked, smiling through his pain.

"I know what you mean," I said.

Noah gave me a sad look.

"I feel like the world's against me," he said.

"Noah, we'll get through this together. You're stronger than you think, I'll always be here for you. We can do this. We can move mountains," I said, "but, don't you think you should tell the others to get some help from them?"

Noah shook his head.

"Maybe I will, but not today," he said.

I looked at him staring at the ground.

Poor Noah

"I feel like I have nothing left anymore," he said sadly.

I leaned my head against his shoulder and wrapped an arm around his waist, showing him that I was there for him.

"Hey, what are you doing here anyways Riley?" Noah asked looking at my tank top and sports shorts.

He looked at me and then in the direction I could have come from and I watched his expression as he pieced my story together.

"You're a street fighter!" Noah exclaimed.

I nodded.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone anything. Besides Ry-"

He cut himself off.

"What?" I asked

Noah searched for something to say to me.

"I meant, Ryder taught me a lot about keeping secrets," Noah said, nervously laughing.

I picked up that Noah was lying but didn't say anything and just nodded and smiled at him.

I looked at the warehouse door searching for any sign of Dylan.

He was probably still fighting.

Noah leaned his head back against the wall and I did the same. We sat in silence, feeling comfort in each other's company.

We didn't feel any attraction or signs of any other feelings besides friendship towards each other. Sitting with Noah felt warm and happy. Very different from the static charge when I sat next to Ry-

Dammit! I thought of him again!

And here I was thinking I was doing so well in blocking all thoughts of him out.

•••••

Once Noah had left Dylan had come out of the warehouse.

We sat in silence as Dylan drove me home.

"Dylan, what do you win when you win the championships?" I asked.

"Seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and an official street fighting champion belt," Dylan said.

Seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars!

I let out a whistle and leaned back in my seat.

I thought about Noah's missing brother and was shocked that someone could kill a four year old.

He's not dead, just missing.

I knew what Noah was going through. I knew what it felt like to lose your siblings.

I won't let you down Noah. I will fight for you and I will win for you.

•••••

I am in love with Jarred Leto : )
Who do you think plays a better Joker between him and Heath Ledger? : )
Thanks for reading my chapter! : )
-Grayx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

635K 22.3K 66
Highest ranking: #1 in Teen Fiction #1 in Teen • • • Samantha Rosewood has a tragic past. Trying to escape from t...
399K 12.2K 31
Sebastian, the bad boy with the damaged past. Chanel, the quiet girl with the damaged past. Two teenagers paired to work together don't realize just...
52.5K 1K 14
Training. That's every thing that's on Sasuke's mind before.. his little kitsune asked him to go to a waterpark with him and his friends. What will h...
8.8K 205 10
⚠️ Warning⚠️ This Fanfiction Contain's. _________________________ Spelling Mistakes/Grammars/Ship You May Not Like/Cringe/Swearing. Thank you for...