Imperial Moon [Complete]

By ImperialARG

Centuries ago, the Moon bestowed a gift on a small village. The people that lived there were forever transfor... More

Chapter One - Chase
Chapter Two - Captive
Chapter Three - Colosseum
Chapter Four - Covet
Chapter Five - Collapse
Chapter Six - Conceal
Chapter Seven - Curse
Chapter Eight - Crucifixion
Chapter Nine - Convalesce
Chapter Ten - Commune
Chapter Eleven - Consent
Chapter Twelve - Contemplate
Chapter Thirteen - Circle
Chapter Fourteen - Clarity
Chapter Fifteen - Creature
Chapter Sixteen - Cal
Chapter Seventeen - Consequence
Chapter Eighteen - Confirmation
Chapter Nineteen - Choice
Chapter Twenty - Commitment
Chapter Twenty One - Consummate
Chapter Twenty Three - Change
Chapter Twenty Four - Comrade
Chapter Twenty Five - Collide
Chapter Twenty Six - Company
Chapter Twenty Seven - Contract
Chapter Twenty Eight - Celebrate
Chapter Twenty Nine - Corruption
Chapter Thirty - Crown
Sequel Information & Thanks
Sequel start date & Blurb

Chapter Twenty Two - Candidate

1K 28 20
By ImperialARG

"Dshush ir ushury tayn dish lon?"

"What?" Cal laughed, burying his head in her neck.

Kat spat the toothpaste out of her mouth and rinsed.

"Does it usually take this long?" She frowned, as she stood at the bathroom mirror, pulling at the skin around her mark.

"I don't have any hands on experience but I think it usually settles within 8 hours." Cal's hands were definitely on Kat.

"How many hours has it been?" She grumbled.

"About ten." He turned her around to face him.

"Does it matter what it looks like?"

Kat shrugged.

"I just thought it was supposed to heal instantly unless there was a problem."

"You think there's a problem? You don't think we're mates?"

"No, we're obviously mates." She grinned at him.

"So forget about it for now, it's not painful is it?"

Kat shook her head.

"So-"

Cal kissed her mark, she shivered with pleasure.

"-forget it."

"I might need distracting." Kat smirked at him.

"I hear you loud and clear!" Cal laughed, picking Kat up.

He threw her over his shoulder as she laughed.

Kat's head bobbed as he walked back into their room, she raised her hand and pinched him hard on the ass.

"Oh you're getting it now." He growled, throwing her on the bed.

She raised her eyebrows and smiled up at him.

He pulled his shirt off in one fluid motion.

"Alpha?" Tate's voice came, along with a knock at the door.

Cal groaned, pulling his shirt back on.

"Duty calls."

He bent and kissed Kat, before opening the door.

Kat sighed and collapsed on the bed.

"Uh- C-cal, I believe you wanted to sort the new wolves today? In the training trees?" Tate was shifting awkwardly in the door. Kat glanced at him, he blushed deeply.

She watched Cal frown at Tate, following his line of sight to her laying on the bed.

She felt his anger permeate the room.

"Beta Tate -" He started.

"I would like to talk to you, if that's alright?" Kat interrupted, sitting up.

Cal's eyes widened as he regarded her, jealousy twisting across the bond.

"Y-yes Luna." Tate stuttered.

"Not here." Cal growled.

"In your office then?" Kat stood up from the bed quickly.

Tate nodded and left. As Kat made to follow him, Cal stopped her.

"I don't like you being alone with him, he is clearly attracted to you."

Kat bristled.

"Do you think I throw myself at every man who declares his want for me? I will hold a discussion with our beta when I want to and you will trust me. I will see you later at the training to assist you in sorting our wolves. Don't attempt to control me, Cal. It won't end well for you."

Cal opened his mouth to respond but Kat was already walking away.

She fumed silently. She followed Tate's scent to a thick metal door. She'd never been in this room before. Tate leaned against the wall opposite it.

"After you, Luna." He looked downcast.

Kat entered the room, the brightness taking her by surprise. The walls, like the rest of the house, were painted white and silver. An ornate oak desk shone in the sunlight, two comfy leather chairs sat in front. It was eerily neat. A huge window dominated the wall behind the desk chair. Kat moved to look at the view, realising this was the window he had watched her from when she was led to the showers before her pit fight. Where he watched her being dragged to the silver cross.

"He doesn't come in here much. Only when he wants to be alone." Tate sank into one of the leather seats.

Kat frowned. She remembered clearly a time when Tia was in here with him. She felt her jealousy rise at the memory.

She shook it away, sitting in the desk chair. A thin fur lined the leather seat. She rubbed it, frowning.

"It's werewolf hide. The first one Cal killed in battle." Tate offered helpfully.

Kat nodded. Her father had one similar.

"Tate. We need to discuss us."

"Us, Luna?" Tate blushed.

"See, you act like you don't know what I mean but you blush. You look at me in front of Cal in an inappropriate way. I want to know why."

"I don't understand. You're asking me why I'm attracted to you?"

"I'm asking you why you would anger your Alpha by looking at his mate this way. You risk your life every time you do it."

"I can't help it Kat." Tate pulled his hair tightly at the back of his head, "Goddess, I wish I could. This would all be so much easier."

"What do you mean?"

Tate held his head in his hands, mumbling.

"I can't hear you."

Tate looked up at her, eyes tortured.

"We're possibilities."

Kat's mouth fell open. She had spent her whole life with no one and now in the same pack she found her true mate and a possibility.

"I know you're with Cal and he's your true mate. I just can't help thinking about what would have happened if we'd met earlier. If we'd had time together before you met him. If you chose me over him."

"How could I choose you over my true mate?"

"It's been known to happen. It's the reason the Moon Goddess gives us possibilities. To test our bond with our true mate."

Kat sighed.

"Didn't the feelings for me go when Cal and I mated?"

Tate shook his head sadly. Kat frowned.

"Touch me."

Tate stared at her like she'd grown a head.

"Not like that." She rolled her eyes and held out her hand.

Tate pushed his finger into her palm, before enveloping her hand in his. She felt it, the fire. Not like her and Cal, but still there, persistent. She watched Tate close his eyes and savour the feeling. She understood that for him, this was incredible. But she had felt the real thing, the intensity was nothing compared to her true mate.

She pulled her hand away, sighing.

"I'm not sure why it hasn't gone yet. Maybe when the mark heals properly you'll have some kind of relief. Until then Tate, I understand it's hard but you can't behave that way in front of Cal. He's your Alpha and my mate. I'd also like it if this conversation stays between us. Have you told anyone else about this?"

Tate shook his head sadly. She could feel him stinging from her rejection.

She stood and moved around the desk to him before bending and grasping his shoulders.

"I'm not rejecting you. I love you Tate. I'm just not in love with you. I accept you fully as my friend and brother. You're the best friend I have here. I'm sorry for snapping at you about Lucio. I was upset with myself. I will try to have more restraint next time you annoy me." She smiled at him as he smirked.

"Did you tell Cal about the Nyx King?"

"Lucio. Yes. Cal said you knew his father?"

Tate visibly paled, pushing his curls away from his face. He said nothing.

When Kat realised he wouldn't elaborate, she dismissed him to train. She stood at the window after he left, mulling over what he'd said.

Something weird was going on. The bond wasn't sealing properly, Tate still had feelings for her, that wasn't normal. Surely that wasn't normal.

She looked down at her pack, feeling fiercely protective.

I understand Papa. Destined. These people, my people, are my destiny. I will fight for them as you fought for yours.

She shut her eyes, remembering her father's words. He would always say he loved her, for eternity. She would always say she loved him, for eternity. She understood now. It wasn't an exaggeration of his love. He thought he would live for eternity and he'd love her every moment.

"I'll love you for eternity, Papa." Kat whispered, looking at the sky. She let her tears fall freely. Finally beginning to understand her hero, so many years after his death. She had been so angry at him for not explaining, for letting her waste so much of her life running. But she understood why. He had wanted to protect her from the world.

You just didn't know that what I really needed protection from was my brother.

Suddenly, there was a commotion below. Kat watched with curious eyes as people began running into the trees.

She flew out of the room and down the stairs, throwing the front door open. She dashed across the grass, into the thick trees. The pack link was quiet. Whatever was going on, they weren't talking about it that way.

The stench of iron filled her nostrils as she moved towards the crowd. She heard people shouting and children crying. Her heart hammered as she pushed through the wolves.

Kat's mouth dropped open at the sight that she was faced with.

Two men ripped lumps out of each other, growling and snarling as they fought. It was brutal.

Kat moved to find Cal. He stood on the edge of the crowd, watching intently.

"What's going on?" She whispered furiously.

"No idea. We were sparring, human form. Vilkas asked Tate something. He clearly didn't like the reply."

"And you're just going to let them do this?"

Cal shrugged, "It's not the first time. They usually wear each other out before any real damage is done. They're quite well matched."

He smiled, before looking at her.

"How was your talk with Tate?"

"Fine. I told him his behaviour towards me was inappropriate, he assured me it wouldn't happen again." She watched the fight, frowning, barely hearing Cal's intake of breath.

"You talked about that?"

"It bothered you." She turned to look at him.

"I also told him that our conversation would stay between him and I, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell him that I'd told you."

Cal smiled, before bending down and kissing her.

"See, you talk shit, Tate!"

Kat pulled away, looking at Vilkas, surprised.

"She's with our Alpha."

"What?" Kat was confused. Tate looked embarrassed.

Cal growled, "What do you mean Vilkas? What did beta Tate say?"

Vilkas wiped his bleeding nose with the back of his hand, before spitting blood at Tate's feet.

"I asked him why he smelled of a she-wolf. His response dishonoured my Luna."

Kat stared at Tate, wide eyed. Cal started to move towards him. Kat put her arm out to stop him. She heard the whispers of the onlookers. She saw the new wolves looking between her and Tate with interest.

She walked towards him, her lip curling in disgust.

"What did you say, Tate?"

He looked at the floor, mumbling.

"I can't hear you. You were happy to say it when I was not present, yet you can't say it to my face. Typical male."

He was suddenly incredibly interested in his feet.

"Tate, tell me what you said." Kat pushed her considerable power over him. The onlooking wolves shivered.

"I said you had been occupying me in the bedroom while Cal was busy." Tate slapped a hand over his mouth.

Vilkas leaned over and whispered, "He did not say it so politely the first time."

Kat could feel Cal raging behind her. She was impressed that he hadn't ripped Tate's throat out already. He was clearly trying to respect her wishes to deal with their beta.

Kat lifted her chin, looking Tate in the eye.

"Tate, you disrespect your Luna, you disrespect your Alpha. What do you have to say?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Is that a question?"

"No, I'm sorry, Kat."

"Luna."

"I'm sorry Luna."

Tate's head dropped. Kat was confused. His behaviour was so out of the ordinary for him. Maybe their weird connection was messing with his head.

"You should be grovelling at her feet." Vilkas spat at Tate's feet.

Fury flashed in Tate's eyes as he lunged towards Vilkas.

Kat pulled her arm back and let her fist fly into Tate's face. The crowd gasped as they heard the crack of his nose breaking, the force knocking him off his feet.

"You dare to attack the wolf that defended me when I was not here to defend myself?" Kat towered over Tate as he lay on the floor, clutching his nose.

"I don't know what you're doing. I don't even recognise you right now, Tate." Kat sighed. "Clean yourself up."

Tate stood quickly and ran off towards the house.

Kat turned to Vilkas, putting her hand on his shoulder, "Thank you, Vilkas."

He nodded.

Cal cleared his throat, smiling at Kat.

"Let's see what the new wolves have to offer then."

The new wolves broke off into pairs as they began sparring, pretending nothing had happened.

Kat kept a calm exterior while her mind raced. Tate was acting peculiar and she was determined to find out why.

After four hours of testing the new recruits, they broke for lunch. Cal led the wolves into the dining hall.

Kat sank into her chair, resting her elbows on the table and her head in her hands.

Cal rubbed his fingers through her hair, massaging her scalp.

"You okay?" He mumbled, concerned.

She lifted her head up, rest her chin on her fists.

"I'm concerned about Tate. This isn't like him... is it?" Kat was suddenly reminded of the fact that she barely knew Tate.

Cal shook his head sadly.

"I don't know what's going on with him either. I also don't want to spend too much time thinking about it. We have a war to prepare for. The more distractions, the more likely we lose."

Kat sighed, leaning back in her chair.

Tate dropped into the seat opposite her. His nose looked healed, his hair wet.

"Alpha, Luna, please accept my apologies for this morning. I honestly don't know what came over me." Tate looked devastated.

"Honestly, Kat- Luna. It was like I was possessed." He shivered.

Cal nodded, accepting the apology. Kat just stared at him in silence.

"Kat? Talk to me." Tate was tortured.

Kat sighed.

"I guess I thought after our conversation this morning you'd treat me with respect. As I have always treated you."

Tate had the good sense to look ashamed.

"If I could take it all back-"

"There's no use dwelling on it. It's done. Let's move forward." Kat grumbled, looking at Cal as he smiled.

"Th-thank you, Luna."

The food was put down in front of Kat first. She raised an eyebrow at Cal, who smirked.

"I guess Cook liked that you broke Tate's nose."

Tate grumbled, "I only stole a loaf of bread once."

"A fresh loaf." Cal laughed.

"That Cook had made for the pups." Vilkas laughed as he sat. Clearly this was a recurring story. Kat smiled at being included.

Cal put his hand over hers, rubbing his thumb over her wrist. The movement sent delicious tingles over her skin.

"I think I'll eat this in my room." Kat picked up her plate as she stood.

Cal jumped up quickly.

"Me too!"

They ran from the hall giggling like teenagers, leaving Tate and Vilkas open mouthed.

------

A/N: Heyyy! Just checking in!

What do we think about Tate's behaviour? 

I think I still love him a little bit... sorry Cal!

Who is your fave?

Love&Light

xxxxxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 810 68
*COMPLETE, EDITING ON-GOING* Diana doesn't know what she wants in life. She loves her family and her pack but she knows there is more out in the wor...
1.4M 41.2K 55
Erza, the future Alpha of the Blood Moon pack, has a perfect life. He succeeds in everything and girls are falling in his arms. But the only one he w...
2.5K 62 34
Luna is a junior in high school who's mom took off when she was a little girl. Her dad works a lot so she takes care of her self which often gets her...
289 0 26
Juneau, a 23-year-old, alpha female who is seen as a cold and intimidating alpha to those who don't know her. She never gets to close to any and hate...