A Star For You

By athetriplet

It all started with a letter from Minerva McGonagall, the Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and W... More

Author's Note
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Epilogue

Six

2.7K 113 12
By athetriplet

Estelle remained inside their quarters after Elio left and sat by the fireplace, thinking about what just happened. She rarely seen her brother disagree with her. Throughout their whole lives, the two mostly agreed on everything and got along rather well. It was rare when the two fought or had a disagreement. I mean they fought about silly things but about important and bigger subjects, they hardly ever fought.

Estelle stared at the fire, her anger growing. She knew Elio had the right to think those things but to her this was frustrating. He clearly didn't understand her side and that was even more frustrating and made her rather angry. The more she thought about it, the more upset she got for herself and Severus.

Elio was certainly right about that they didn't know Severus before this year but that didn't mean that she didn't know him now. And from what she could tell, he deserved a second chance. He had a new chance at life and opportunities and maybe his and others lives could change now.

After some time of feeling frustrated by herself, she left her room and went to the library to try and distract herself. Something, anything to make her forget how frustrated she felt.

She noticed several students shockingly get out of her way quickly, noticing her angry face. This was their first time seeing Professor Beauregard this angry so they left her alone rather than reach out and say hello. They knew from experience, anyone with an expression like that, that they should leave them alone and let them be.

This of course made Estelle even more upset, realizing this was what Severus went through almost everyday on a regular basis.

When she reached the library and went inside, she still felt restless and couldn't concentrate. So she decided to leave, not wanting to be frustrated and upset in the library with students all over. So she went to the one place where she felt at peace and comfortable which was the Astronomy tower. As she walked there though, she ran into Elio of all people. He was coming back from the kitchens from having breakfast and looked rather full. The house elves must have fed him a lot. Beside him though was Neville Longbottom, also looking full from food.

Elio immediately saw her and turned away and went inside their quarters, Neville following. He looked at Estelle first and waved, unaware of the twos situation. Estelle was fuming by this point. Why was he ignoring her? She should be the one ignoring him. This whole situation was ridiculous and dramatic but Estelle couldnt help the way she was feeling. She saw Severus as her friend, or something complicated that she didn't quite understand, and she wanted to help and defend him.

Instead of following him, she went up the long spiraling stairs and went to the top of the tower. The moment she arrived, she felt a bit better. It was quiet and peaceful and the best part was no Elio. 

She walked over to the railings and breathed in the fresh and chilly air. She looked out at the view and already started to feel calmer. The view was beautiful. She could see the whole of the Black Lake, it was sparkling and looked magical for a lack of better words. The ground around Hogwarts was covered with fallen leaves, the trees now completely leafless. It looked like it would snow very soon, grey clouds taking over the sky. It wasn't dull looking at all and it was quite breathtaking.

Estelle always felt better up here during the night and day ever since she first came here to Hogwarts. The one at Illvermony didn't compare.

As she was staring out at the view and her eyes wondered down towards the lake, she noticed a figure standing by a tall tree by the Blake Lake. It looked like they were staring out and taking a moment of peace and quiet, like she was doing by standing up here. As she peered down more she noticed it was Severus. She could tell by his hair and black robes since she knew no one else here who wore only black almost daily.

She tried calling for him, but stopped after she realized he couldn't hear her from up there. She grabbed her wand from her pocket and casted a charm out loud. A piece of paper flew out while scribbles appeared on it and then floated down towards Severus when it finished. She watched it float down, smiling. Her heart was pounding in nervousness for some reason. After a minute it finally reached him.

He cautiously reached out and grabbed the floating piece of paper she noticed as she watched the scene below her. He thought it was going to be a prank or something so he hesitated. Instead though it was a piece of paper that read "Hello Severus. The view is beautiful isn't it?"

Estelle watched him read it and then seen him tilt his head up towards the tower. He looked at where the astronomy tower was located and raised his hand a bit. He then went back to staring at the lake but after a minute more he turned around and started walking back up to the castle.

Estelle grinned happily, like an idiot in love.

Estelle hesitated as that small thought popped up in her head. She blinked and shook her head, laughing. No. That was impossible. Severus was her colleague and maybe friend. She had only spent a few tea visits with him. She seen him as a friend, nothing more....but Estelle still hesitated. She denied the thought since she had no idea about things like love or anything and wasn't sure what it felt like. Surely, this wasn't it? How does one know? She was confused but decided to keep the thought in the back of head, out of sight for now.

She looked out at the school grounds for a bit longer until she got cold. After becoming frozen she left the tower and went to her quarters with twisting and spiralling confusing and deep thoughts, making her feel dizzy.

Elio was in his room, the door closed Estelle noticed when she walked into their shared office and quarters. He had taken his research notes from their shared work table and brought it to his room it seems. Estelle however noticed though a small piece of parchment on her side of the table. At first she thought it was from Elio but he wouldn't do something like this, rather he would take to her face to face. She then thought one of her students left it or something she put down but she picked it up and realized she was wrong.

It was from Severus.

It read "The view was beautiful and quite exceptional -S.S"

Even though she knew he was talking about the view she couldn't help blushing. Her ears began to blush red, as if they were on fire. She spent the whole day glancing at it while she worked on nothing important, her cheeks going red every time she stared at it. Which was a lot. Later that day, she went to bed happily with dreams of lakes and dark eyes.

A few days passed and almost every one in the castle had noticed that the Beauregard's were not speaking and avoiding each other. When she had seen him that morning, turning and avoiding her, she decided she would do the same. If he didn't want to talk too her, she didn't want to talk too him. They avoided each other in the halls stubbornly, and would not speak a word or share a glance when they were at breakfast, lunch or diner.

Estelle knew she was acting childishly but she couldn't help it. She was hurt and frustrated with Elio, for not trying to understand her side of it. Though she realized rather sulkily, she wasn't trying to understand his side either....but she ignored that and still ignored her brother.

A week before holiday break, even Severus noticed the siblings fight. He didn't ask her any questions, noticing her frown and pout when he mentioned something related to him. Anyways, Estelle wouldn't tell him the truth about it in the first place, in fear he would get angry or be about anything when he knew they were arguing because of him. So she remained silent and said nothing about it, while they drank their tea in comfortable silence.

Estelle's turn to teach Astronomy was that day, and it was their last class before winter holidays started. Though there was still a few days before students finished their other classes and were able to leave.

Before her class began, Estelle wanted some tea. She was starting to drink it more often now and giggled at the thought she was drinking as much as an English person. So she headed to the dungeons where she usually had tea with Severus, their routine by now. They didn't talk about their note exchange from that time at the lake and tower, but they also didn't talk about anything very important. Just polite chit chat.

After reaching the dungeons she knocked three times on Severus' door and heard a come in.

Severus was at his desk this time working on correcting papers his students wrote for his lessons. She went over and sat down at the other chair in front of his desk, quietly watching him in fascination. He was leaning over, hunched over the stack of papers and furiously grading the papers with a red quill. There was more red than actual writing she noticed, feeling a ping of sympathy for the students who wrote the assignments. His hair fell around his face like a curtain and his eyes were in deep concentration, with his brows furred. He was also biting his lip a bit.

After a moment, Severus glanced at her briefly and raised his eyebrows at the sight of her and  her choice of outfit of the day.

Tonight she was wearing what looked to be Christmas themed pyjamas. They were bright red and silky, with fluffy white strips on the cuffs. She was grinning at his reaction, wiggling her eyebrows in a joking way.

"Jealous?" She teased, laughing out loud.

His lips formed a line with a look of mild disgust at the thought of ever wearing such clothes and being jealous, "I'd rather teach the Gryffindor first years potions for the rest of my life than ever be jealous of such an outfit," he cringed at both the thought of her outfit and teaching the annoying first years for the rest of his life.

She laughed out loud at his remark, then used her wand to make a pot of tea and cups appear. They landed on his table and she poured herself some and drank it quickly, finding it comforting and relaxing. She watched for a bit while he went back to grading his papers. He was rolling his eyes and scrunching his face in disappointment and anger after each line he read. His hand quickly and precisely marking the papers with a great deal of effort and speed, finding correcting the muggle way better than using his wand as he was more bound to find mistakes and fairly grade them.

After a while he pushed them away with a "bunch of idiots" under his breath and poured some tea for himself. Estelle plucked up her courage to ask him questions rather than drink her tea in silence like they usually did.

"Have you always like potions?" She questioned, truly curious. He paused at her sudden question, his cup near his mouth. He pondered her question slowly then proceeded to answer.

"I suppose so. Though, the Dark Arts was where I excelled at and preferred while growing up." He replied, staring at her with guarded and tense eyes. He seemed to imply that once again, he was the big bad death eater and she should be running away every time she was ever here. He would always say something to provoke her or make her realize that 'oh, yeah, he's a horrible person.' But every time, she stayed which baffled him.

She nodded her head, intrigued and proceeded to answer her own question. "I've always liked Charms but Astronomy was much more interesting to me. What with my name meaning Star, I had to learn more." She smiled, laughing at herself. Severus stared at her with squinted eyes, trying to figure her out. Since the first time she came to tea with him, he wasn't sure how to think of her. She was strange, happy and had a very weird sense of fashion. The complete opposite of him.

"You're strange, very strange indeed, Miss Beauregard." He finally said after a moments silence, not really commenting on her answer more answering his own thoughts. He sipped his tea, going back to drinking silently. He hadn't said her first name since that first time she had noticed with a frown of disappointment. It was like he was purposely doing so, because by calling her by her first name meant that they were friends. And forbid merlin that ever happened. He was putting up walls and it slightly made Estelle upset.

Without thinking she reached over and grabbed his elbow, making him almost spill his tea from the sudden surprise of someone touching him, "Es-telle." She determinedly said, pronouncing her name as if she was talking to a child. Her brows were furrowed out of a mix of determination and frustration.

He glared at her, moving his arm out of her touch. They stared at each other for a while, both not giving in. Estelle raised her eyebrows, crossing her arms now. Severus continued to stare at her, shooting daggers at her but after seeming to look like he was fighting with himself he sighed and rolled his eyes. He glared at her again after a second, though with less force, "You baffle me, Estelle." He said her name very slowly and in a somewhat mocking tone, smirking in amusement and bewilderment at the company he has chosen to be around.

She grinned, though not really liking his tone but went with it anyways, and stood up from her spot. "Thank you, Severus." She said to him, laughing silently as he flinched when she said his name. He rolled his eyes, it becoming a habit whenever he found himself with her, and waved aimlessly as she turned around to leave to get ready for her last lesson.

She paused at the door, turning slightly. He was looking down at his papers once again, trying very hard not to look up as he knew she was staring back. Estelle snickered then left his office with a goofy smile on her face. That went well, she thought happily. Slowly but surely, the two were becoming closer whether Severus liked it or not.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

406K 18.5K 60
A new school year means a new set of changes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Severus Snape is introduced to new teacher Professor Kal...
83.2K 1.6K 25
Ariana Bloom is starting her last year at Hogwarts. She is friends with Laurie and Alice, who just happen to be a couple, and Ariana is the third whe...
2.7K 78 17
Girl reader A new experience away from oppressing America is the perfect opportunity to learn how to be a professor in England. Assisting Professor S...
2.3M 79.3K 42
Featured in the official Wattpad @Fanfic Harry Potter Fanfiction reading list! -- When your mind is all you can trust, what happens when your memorie...