Unsteady

By _dripps

Book 1 in the Shards of Glass Series Unsteady ʌnˈstɛdi adjective Liable to fall or shake I felt completely b... More

Disclaimer & Subsidiary
Prologue
01. Gone
02. Alpha Omega
03. You Don't Own Me
04. Wreak Havoc
05. Crash and Burn
06. The Phoenix
08. Say the Word
09. Hall of Fame
10. Let's Get Lost
11. All I Need
12. I Like Me Better
13. In the Dark
14. Run
15. Unsteady
16. Not About Angels
17. Lily
18. Build It Up
19. Stargazing
20. Start Again
21. Do It All For You
22. Don't Get Any Closer
23. Everything Will Be Ok
24. This Feeling
25. I'm Yours
26. Stand By You
27. More Than Words
28. Mine
29. Flight of the Stars
30. Don't Leave
31. Fools
32. Hopeless
33. Memories
34. You Are the Reason
Epilogue
Authors Note

07. Breathin

2.8K 93 97
By _dripps

Feel my blood runnin', swear the sky's fallin'
I know that all this shit's fabricated
Time goes by and I can't control my mind
Don't know what else to try,
but you tell me every time
Just keep breathin' and breathin'
and breathin' and breathin'
And oh, I gotta keep, keep on breathin'
-Breathin
-Ariana Grande

•••••

"Are you sure you like us?" Violet asked while leaning against the locker next to me.

I stopped searching for my English folder once those words left her mouth. I turned to face her with a concerned expression on my face, wondering what I had said or done to make her think that.

"What do you mean Violet? Of course I like you guys!"

She gave me a sad smile.

"It doesn't seem like it. You never talk to me and you never came with Ryder for ice cream with us. Do you feel like you're being forced to hang out with us?" she asked slightly pouting her lip.

"What are you saying? We just got in trouble in biology for our constant talking! Vi you're the first person I've warmed up too this quickly! You and the rest," I said giving her a tight hug.

Well maybe not Ryder...

"You sure you like us?" Violet asked.

I grinned and nodded.

Violet grinned back but there was something about her smile, like the conversation wasn't over.

Weird.

We hooked arms and walked into the cafeteria taking the open seats next to Kyle and Cameron. Violet whispered something to Cameron and he glanced at me and gave me an apologetic smile before whispering something into Noah's ear who then grinned at me with an evil glint in his eyes.

The only person who didn't seem to be affected by everyone's strange behaviour was Ryder which would either mean he's in on it too, or he just doesn't care.

I stared at everyone's faces trying to determine from their expressions whether I should start running or stay in my seat and see how this plays out.

Just as I moved my chair back and opened my mouth to make up a lame excuse at to why I have to leave, I was interrupted by Noah.

"Hey, did you guys here about the awesome party Scott's throwing because his cousin's back in town?" Noah asked with a bit too much enthusiasm.

Oh no

"Yeah, I heard about it too. Apparently his cousin is enrolling into this school next week and they're super tight. I can't remember his name but I'm one hundred percent sure he's a senior," Kyle piped up.

Please don't...

"So when is this party Noah?" Violet asked glancing at me out of the corner of her eye and tapped her fingers twice on the cafeteria table.

While this conversation was going on I was trying to discreetly slip away from everyone and bolt for the cafeteria door.

Straight after Violet's finger taps, Kyle wrapped an arm around my shoulder to keep me in my seat and gave me a sickly sweet smile.

Oh my gosh they planned this!

Ryder glared at Kyle and crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes, no longer interested in the game the rest of his friends were playing.

"Actually, it's on Friday. Pretty convenient don't you say?" Noah asked giving me a grin once he saw how helpless I was trapped under Kyle's arm, which I actually didn't seem to mind-

No focus Riley!

Violet made an 'o' shape with her mouth.

"Well, isn't that just perfect! I'm sure everyone's free on Friday right? Are you free Noah?" Violet asked turning to Noah.

Noah nodded with an enthusiastic smile on his face.

"What about you Cameron?" Noah asked.

Cameron gave me another apologetic smile and mumbled a yes.

"Kyle?" Noah asked trying to suppress his smile.

"Yep, I'm pretty much free this Friday," Kyle said smiling down at my helpless figure.

I glared up at him but slowly felt myself getting absorbed into his chocolate coloured eyes.

Riley! He's the enemy!

I thought only Ryder was the enemy?

"What about you Ryder?" Noah asked turning to an immobile Ryder.

Ryder opened his eyes and glanced at me. I hope he saw the plea in my eyes and the way he smirked made me know just exactly what he was going to say.

Please, please, please, please

"I'm sure my schedule is clear for Friday. What about you Riley?" he asked in a teasing voice.

Stupid moronic messed up little stinky idiotic foolish-

Everyone's attention was turned to me cutting off my insults which I hoped telepathically had reached Ryder.

"Well..." I trailed off looking at Violet's hopeful face.

I then turned to Noah who was smiling at me eagerly and Kyle who gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"I don't think I can make it. I have to...clean my house," I said hopefully.

Violet narrowed her eyes at me.

"We can all help you clean it on Saturday," she said smirking at me.

"Uh, well.." I trailed off, "my friend needs me on Friday to babysit his turtle," I lied.

"You've only been here for a week and you already have other friends?" Ryder asked me with a devilish grin on his face.

"Actually...well...I mean," I stammered.

"Guys, leave Riley alone. She obviously doesn't want to spend time with us outside of school. I understand," Violet said with a sad sigh.

I groaned and told myself I wouldn't give into this act she was putting on.

All you have to do is let her down slowly, you can do this.

Violet looked at me with her big eyes full of sadness and her mouth turned down into a frown.

Don't give in...

"Fine! But I have to ask my friend first," I said defeatedly.

Violet let out a squeal and wrapped her arms around me, squeezing the life out of me.

Nice job Riley. You deserve an award.

Oh shut up! You're not much help anyways!

"Oh, thank you Riley! We're going to have so much of fun, and you can come to mine and Cameron's place to get ready!" Violet exclaimed pulling me into another bone crushing hug.

I laughed at her excitement, "I wouldn't get my hopes up. I have to ask my friend if I can come and he doesn't really give in easily."

Violet smiled at me.

"How about I come with you later on to talk to him? Deal?" she asked me.

I smiled back at her knowing very well how much Dylan hated parties and knew he would never agree to letting me go to one.

"Deal," I said finally happy Violet had released me and I could breathe again.

I turned to look at the grinning faces of everyone but Ryder who had went back to sleeping.

"I can't believe you all helped her! You even thought of a plan if I had to run away!" I exclaimed giving a pointed glare in Kyle's direction.

He blushed and scratched the back of his neck, mumbling about how Violet made him.

I turned to Violet and playfully smacked her arm.

"That wasn't funny Vi. You're such a pain in my ass honestly!" I exclaimed.

She playfully stuck her tongue out at me and I rolled my eyes at her childish behaviour.

"Wait, does this mean we all have to help Riley clean her house on Saturday?" Noah asked with a defeated look on his face.

I grinned at all of their shocked expressions.

"Well, I definitely know who's getting toilet duty," I said turning to Violet with a smirk on my face.

She stared at me with her mouth opened.

"Oh hell to the no!"

•••••

"Could you walk any slower?" Violet asked dragging me out of North Grey High and into the parking lot.

I hoped Dylan would say no, he would say no because he was already looking for me and Dylan wouldn't risk my life by sending me to a party where there was hardly anyone I knew.

Violet let go of my hand and stared out at the many cars.

"Which one is his?" she asked me.

I scanned the parking lot looking for Dylan's jeep and instantly spotted it at the far end of the parking lot.

"Right over there," I said pointing to his car.

I groaned as Violet grabbed my finger and dragged me down the school steps and smoothly made her way through the many people crowding the tiny parking lot.

She let go of my finger once we had reached Dylan's car. Dylan rolled down his window and stared at Violet with a confused expression on his face.

"Hi?" he said the simple word in way which made it sound like it was a question rather than a greeting.

"Hey! I'm Violet, Riley's friend and I just wanted to ask you one simple question," Violet said giving him a bright smile.

"Sure," Dylan said returning her smile.

Violet turned to me and made sure I wasn't going to influence Dylan to say no to going to the party.

"There's this party on Friday," Violet began, "and all of our friends are going to be there and I thought it would be nice if Riley could join us. If you're worried about someone leaving her, don't worry we all stick as a group when we go out so she will never be left alone. So, may she come?"

I held my breath and waited for Dylan's response.

Dylan had a thoughtful expression on his face and scrunched up his eyebrows.

He was probably thinking of a way to tell her no.

"Well, I don't see why not. Yes, Riley can go," Dylan said grinning at me.

You have got to be kidding me!

Unbelievable.

"Yay!" Violet squealed jumping up and down.

Violet hugged me and said she had to run to Cameron before they both got late for work.

I got into Dylan's car and took a deep breath before opening my mouth.

"You had one job as an older brother figure. One single job!" I exclaimed.

Dylan looked at me with his mouth hanging open at my outburst.

I groaned and tilted my head back against the leather seat and closed my eyes trying to slow my breathing down.

"I thought you'd want to spend some time with your friends?" Dylan asked pronouncing each word slowly.

"I did! But not a party! I thought you hated parties Dylan! Why would you agree to one?"

"Well, I guess that it's time you loosened up a bit and had some fun with your friends. But no getting drunk," he warned me.

Dylan started the car and kept sneaking glances at me to see if I was okay.

On the outside my face was neutral and I looked like I had my life together, but on the inside I was screaming and crying at the thought of sweaty and horny teens grinding against each other, loud music blasting from every corner and couples sloppily making out everywhere you turned.

Dear Lord no

"Aren't you concerned he might be there?" I asked giving one last go at trying to make Dylan change his mind.

Dylan turned and rolled his eyes at me.

"Riley, you said it yourself. He wouldn't dare to attack you in public and your friend said that her and your other friends wouldn't ever let you out of their sight and you'd all stick together, so I don't see any harm in it."

Dammit!

"I don't know why now of all times you decide to be wise and act all mature," I said grudgingly.

Dylan laughed at my sour expression.

"I will never understand you Riley," he said tiredly, "first you say I need to loosen up, and when I do you get mad at me for it."

I groaned and held my head in my hands already dreading Friday.

Why me?

"On the bright side, at least you'll finally be doing something other than sitting in your room all day," Dylan said trying to lighten up the mood.

"Yes, because grinding on people and drinking sounds just as fun," I said sarcastically.

Dylan tensed up at my words.

"Okay, let's get some rules down. No drinking, no sex and no coming home pregnant," he said sternly.

I laughed at his words.

"Why would I get pregnant?"

He grinned and shook his head at me.

"Deadline is ten. No getting home later than that."

"Thanks dad," I said emphasizing the word "dad".

He wrinkled his nose.

"Riles, no offence but I don't feel that way towards you."

"Gross Dylan!" I exclaimed horrified at what he was thinking about.

He started laughing at my expression and I continued to shake my head in disgust.

•••••

Waking up that Friday morning I felt like curling up into a ball and never getting up. It was like being forced to go to your little sister's friend's birthday party so that you could make sure she doesn't get hurt.

Then again, my little sister never got invited to birthday parties...

I had told Violet just as she was leaving with Cameron that I wouldn't go to her house to get ready and she told me that it was okay and they'd pick me up at eight.

So, coming to the present time 7:15 I stood in front of my wardrobe trying to pick something to wear.

I contemplated throwing on a pair of sweatpants and a torn up shirt, but I was sure Violet would drag me back into my house and force me into the most uncomfortable thing I owned.

I never went to much parties back in my old town. He never allowed it. He never liked the thought of other boys' eyes on me. If he could have prevent me from going to school, he would have.

I went through the dresses I owned and most of them seemed to home-y for a party. So instead I settled on a pair of high waisted shorts and white strapless shirt with lace patterns on the back.

I paired it with the only pair of vans I ever had and was gifted it for my seventeenth birthday last year. I didn't bother much on jewellery, and tied my hair up into a high ponytail and pulled some stands out.

I put on some light make up and assessed my reflection in my mirror.

Could do better, but at least it's decent.

I heard several knocks on my door and slipped my phone into my pocket along with my keys and a stick of gum.

I answered the door with a grin on my face despite not really looking forward to a party.

"Well, look at you!" Violet exclaimed staring at my outfit.

I laughed at her reaction.

"What about you? You look stunning," I said which she really did.

She had on a knee length sweetheart neckline black dress with black pumps and a silver choker. Her hair was left down and straightened to perfection.

Besides for her smokey eye, her make up was natural and I wondered how Cameron was going to keep the guys at the party off of her.

We rode the elevator down to the first floor and walked to Cameron's lime green Ford RS and got in. Violet taking shotgun while I slid into the backseat.

Cameron smiled at me from the rearview mirror and I smiled back.

For the first ten minutes of the drive to Scott's house, we talked about what we wanted to do after school.

"I can't wait to finish school and get into university," Violet said staring out the window.

Cameron smiled at her with adoration shining in his eyes and shook his head.

"What do you want to do after school Cameron?" I asked.

"I'm going to be studying music in the Greenbourgh's International University of Music and Arts," he said.

"What about you Violet?" I asked.

She grinned and intertwined her fingers with Cameron's.

"I'm going to the same university as Cam."

I felt a pull at my heart seeing their intertwined hands. They were perfect for each other and if only known them for a week.

If I believed in love, I'd definitely say that that feeling was mutual between them.

"What about you Riley?" Violet asked turning in her seat to look at me.

"I'm thinking of biochemistry," I said.

She furrowed her eyebrows.

"I'd peg you to be more of a lawyer. Why biochemistry?"

I thought about it.

"I like examining plants and diseases and all of that. Biochemistry is the closest I could get to that."

She nodded and turned back around.

After that Cameron talked to me about his family and Violet and I remained silent.

I learnt that he had a little sister but she was currently at boarding school and his parents lived on the other side of town and rarely visited.

Still, Violet said nothing about her family.

Just before Cameron could ask me about my family we arrived at a grand white mansion. We parked in between a silver Mercedes Benz AMG and a Nissan Skyline R36 that shone midnight blue from Cameron's headlights.

There was something strangely familiar about that skyline but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Cameron, Violet and I got out of Cameron's car and made our way to the white mansion. Despite parking extremely close to the mansion, there was not a sound to be heard from the mansion. However, as we got closer the vibrations of the loud music could be felt.

The scenery wasn't what you would expect. It was pretty decent from my point of view. There weren't any red solo cups littering the ground or couples making out on the front step. However, there was about four bulky guys who definitely didn't look like they were in high school passed out on the grass and a girl stumbled her way out of the house and down the steps mumbling to herself.

When we entered the scenery completely changed to a stereotypical high school party. Bright colourful lights shone from the ceiling and on one side of the room, furniture was shifted to one side to make room for a make shift dance floor where countless teenagers were grinding on each other and yelling.

On the other side of the room there was a huge glass door which opened up to a pool where people were throwing each other in and drinking. In the middle of all of this there was a bright light which I suspected was the kitchen.

Violet held onto my arm with one hand and was holding Cameron's arm with her other hand. She dragged us to a secluded corner giving us a full view of Scott's living room and bringing us too Kyle, Noah and Ryder who were leaning against the wall.

They could have been brothers from the very little facial features you could make out under the flashing lights.

Noah wore an olive green sleeveless top which showed off his biceps and his hair was gelled at the sides and left messy and unkempt on top.

Kyle wore a dark blue shirt which stretched across his chest and kept had his hair gelled back to perfection.

Ryder unsurprisingly wore a black tight shirt which made me wonder how he was breathing in it and surprisingly had combed his hair so that it was a little bit neater and flopped to one side of his head.

"Wow, looking good Riles," Noah said giving me a hug.

I grinned and thanked him complimenting him on his looks too.

I leaned in to give Kyle a hug and just as I pulled back he kept a hand on my waist so that my body was flush against his.

"You look beautiful," he murmured.

"You don't look too bad yourself," I mumbled blushing uncontrollably and thankful for the dark.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ryder watching me and Kyle and tense up but when I turned to look at him he quickly looked away.

I pulled away from Kyle because our sudden exchange didn't feel that right anymore.

Why Riley? Come on! If you never saw Ryder staring at you two would you have pulled away? Why does whatever he thinks matter to you?

I gave Kyle a small smile and turned to greet Ryder.

"Hey Ryder," I said.

He gave me a slight nod and then took a gulp out of whatever he was drinking and avoided eye contact with me.

I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest. No, I wasn't going to let him ruin my evening.

"So, have you guys just been wallflowers ever since you got here?" Violet asked the three boys with a smirk on her face.

"No! You should have seen how many people were crowding around us when we walked in. It's like we were the kings of this place," Noah said elbowing Kyle who agreed with him.

Violet "mhmed" not sure whether she should believe them or not.

"Did Scott announce who his cousin is? Or at least where he is?" Cameron asked speaking for the first time ever since we reached.

"No, we got here half an hour before you did and when we arrived the party was already in full swing so maybe he announced it before," Ryder answered.

"Hey Marco! Come here," Kyle called to a boy not much older than we were.

He had brown hair which looked black if not for the bright lights and freckles which dotted his nose.

Marco made his way over to us giving Kyle a brotherly hug and mumbling "hellos" to the rest of us.

"Have you heard anything about Scott's cousin?" Kyle asked.

Marco shook his head, "Apparently just as the party started Scott told everyone his cousin wasn't too happy about the party and probably wasn't going to enrol in the school or even come here anymore."

"What was the sudden change?" Ryder asked a bit too harshly.

Marco slightly jumped when Ryder spoke.

"Uh-I'm not sure really. Just a sudden change. Scott told me that his cousin didn't want anyone to know of his arrival. Something about keeping it a surprise."

Kyle nodded and after exchanging a few more words with Marco, Marco disappeared and left the six of us standing there again.

"That's weird. Who just changes their mind about coming to a school because news of their arrival gets out?" Violet asked crossing her arms over her chest.

"Yeah, you're right that doesn't make sense. Then again, Scott and his family have that type of money to splash and waste," Noah said sourly.

I thought about Scott's cousin.

Why would someone enrol into a school three weeks into the first semester?

"Maybe he doesn't like attention and wanted to keep a low profile," Cameron suggested.

"That wouldn't make a difference because when he got here he would be the talk of the school anyways since North Grey isn't such a huge town," Kyle said leaning against the wall and squashing his empty plastic cup.

It was silent for several moments until Ryder broke it.

"Why do we care so much about Scott's cousin anyways? Why did he make it such a big deal as well? As far as I can remember Scott only moved here two years ago and none of his family members ever were here, so why did he throw a party like some welcome home thing?" Ryder asked now capturing all of our attention.

"It's almost like he wanted to cause a scene, or send someone a message that their cousin is coming," Ryder said thoughtfully.

"But, no one knows his cousin. That doesn't make sense either," Violet argued.

I could tell that Noah and Kyle were getting pretty bored of the topic and were going to soon interrupt Violet and Ryder so I did it instead.

"Guys, it really doesn't matter anymore. Scott said his cousin isn't coming anymore so I think we should move past it and by Monday his cousin would be forgotten."

Violet nodded and so did Cameron and Noah.

Ryder didn't say anything and just glared at me.

Geez what's your problem?

"I'm going to go to the bathroom and then get a drink. Does anyone want to come with me?" Violet asked.

"I'll come with," Cameron said possessively wrapping an arm around Violet's waist while the rest of us agreed on staying where we were.

As soon as Violet and Cameron left two guys walked up to Kyle, Noah, Ryder and I and mumbled something to Kyle and Noah who mumbled something back to them.

"There's a situation going on by the pool and apparently the guys want me and Noah to go," Kyle said, "are you sure you and Riley will be alright?"

"Yeah, don't worry we'll be fine," Ryder said, "you sure you don't need an extra hand?"

One of the other guys answered this time, "Nah, don't worry Ryder. It isn't a fight."

Ryder nodded.

"Please don't murder each other. When we come back we'd like to see our two best friends in one piece," Noah joked with a hint of seriousness.

"Don't worry Noah. Ryder probably couldn't even pull off my murder," I joked.

Ryder rolled his eyes at me.

Noah and Kyle gave us one last look before looking at each other and walking away with the two guys who pulled them away in the first place.

"It's a cool party," I attempted at making conversation with Ryder but he answered with a grunt.

Great. We're back to this.

"What is your issue? As soon as I got here you started acting cold again!" I exclaimed angrily.

Ryder turned to me and narrowed his eyes.

"Let's get something straight here Riley, I don't like you and I never will so I'm not going to entertain you by pretending like I do," he said icily.

"Never say never," I mumbled.

"I don't ever like people who keep secrets and scream trouble."

I threw my hands up in the air exasperatedly, "For the last time, I'm not hiding anything!"

"Well, you seemed to be awfully quiet when we were talking about Scott's cousin," Ryder said pointedly.

Are you serious right now?

I puffed out my cheeks and answered him in a rude tone.

"That's because I had nothing to say. I don't know who Scott's cousin is and I don't want to know."

Ryder clenched his jaw.

"Do you think I'm an idiot?," he asked through gritted teeth, "you seemed pretty quick to close the topic."

"Are you calling me a liar?" I gasped.

He rolled his eyes.

"I'm saying-"

"Hey guys! How are you two enjoying the party?" Scott asked giving me and Ryder his mega watt smile.

Of all times why now?

"Yeah, it's an amazing party," I said with a bit too much enthusiasm.

Ryder had lost his angry expression and instead had a blank look on his face.

A slow song started playing and I could see an idea form in Scott's head.

Please don't ask me to dance. Please...

"Would you like to dance?" Scott asked me offering me his hand.

No not really.

Scott's blue eyes twinkled under the flashing lights and his blonde hair looked golden making him look like an angel.

"Sure," I said taking his hand not wanting to get insulted anymore by Ryder.

"Riley," Ryder grabbed my free hand and I shook him off.

"Don't worry about it Ryder, I wouldn't want you to hang around a liar more than you already do," I said spitefully.

"Riley wait-"

Ryder's pleas fell behind me as I grabbed Scott and dragged him into the dance floor. He wrapped his arms around my waist and I wrapped mine around his shoulders.

We swayed from side to side slowly blending in with the couples around us.

"What was that all about?" Scott asked referring to my little outburst with Ryder.

"It was nothing. Just a tiny argument with Ryder."

He nodded and didn't push the topic.

He twirled me around and I got a glimpse of Ryder talking to a girl I recognized from my English class. The song slowly came to an end and I suddenly began to feel claustrophobic with so many people around me.

I turned to where the glass door leading to the pool was, but outside looked just as crowded as inside.

Bathroom

"Scott, where's your bathroom?" I asked while we made our way off the dance floor.

"All the bathrooms are up those set of stairs," Scott said pointing to a staircase a few feet away from Ryder.

I thanked him and walked straight past Ryder and up the set of stairs.

It wasn't that crowded up here. I vaguely heard footsteps behind me and called out to Ryder to stop following me.

I turned a corner and came to a single door at the end of the hallway. I jiggled the knob and found that the door didn't budge.

Fantastic.

Ryder tapped my shoulder and I irritatedly turned around.

"What?" I asked turning around and coming face to face with someone who was definitely not Ryder.

What scared me was that there wasn't only one person like I thought, but four bulky looking guys.

They were the four guys that were passed out on the front lawn when Violet, Cameron and I arrived at the party.

Keep calm Riley.

"Sorry, I seemed to have confused you with someone else," I said and tried to sidestep the guy who was standing in front of me.

He blocked my path and gave a cruel smile.

"Oh come on princess, I could be anyone you want me to be," he said tauntingly.

I subtly slid my hand into my back pocket to get my phone but he noticed this and tilted his head to the right.

One of the guys behind him, started to walk towards me but I wasn't about to let these jerks corner me.

I sent a roundhouse kick to his abdomen and sent him stumbling backwards. He snarled at me and charged again. I dodged his punches but was suddenly sent flying backwards into the wall, hitting my shoulder and landing on my hip.

I groaned and clutched my shoulder trying to roll over and under my attacker's feet. I felt dizzy but pushed myself to get up.

The first guy that spoke to me stood over me and grabbed my arm, I sent a punch to his abdomen but it was weak and just made him more mad.

"Now, now princess," he clicked his tongue, "that isn't very nice."

He spun me around so that the side of my face was pressed against the wall. I was grateful for the coolness of the wall which helped me to gain a bit of my focus and lessen my dizziness.

I sent a backwards kick into his shin and heard him yelp. I twisted in his grip trying to get free but I felt two more hands grip my hands unnecessarily hard.

"Bitch! You'd be dead by now if I wasn't given strict orders from the boss," he said through gritted teeth.

"Who the hell are you?" I growled.

"You don't need to know," he said grabbing my hands which were behind my back and pulling me backwards.

He threw me to his friend who wrapped his arms around me too keep me in place.

"Brandon's, going to be so thrilled to see you. He's coming for you," the guy whispered.

A chill ran down my spine and I started thrashing about and screaming but it was no use.

The guy who tried to hit me swung his fist back, ready to punch me.

"This was for kicking me," he said with his fist in the air.

I closed my eyes waiting for the impact but instead heard grunts and shouts.

I opened my eyes to see a figure attacking the guy who was about to punch me. My defender got up and gave me a clear view of his face.

Ryder?

Ryder knocked out the other two guys with only a few punches and I was thrown to the side as Ryder pushed the guy who was holding me against the wall and started to punch him mercilessly.

"If you ever touch her again, I will kill you," he seethed throwing him down and turned to me.

I stared at the four bodies on the ground and then back at Ryder.

He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me to my feet. My breathing faltered at our sudden close proximity and he suddenly let go of me to put some distance between us but grabbed my elbow and dragged me down the staircase and out of Scott's house.

As I followed Ryder I looked to my right and saw a sky blue Chevrolet parked not too far from us and leaning against it was a figure who looked all too familiar.

I felt myself start shaking and I couldn't help thinking no not now.

Just as we reached Ryder's car my palms were sweaty, my heartbeat had accelerated and I was starting to feel light headed again.

"Riley! Riley, what's wrong?" Ryder asked staring at me with concern.

"Car-the car-Ryder-my family-he's here-help!" I said frantically hyperventilating.

Ryder grabbed my shoulders to prevent me from shaking.

"What car? Who's here? Riley what are you talking about?" Ryder asked.

I started panicking and grabbed Ryder's shirt twisting it into my fists.

"Ryder, please don't let him take me! Ryder please don't let him hurt me-"

Ryder cut me off by holding my face in his hands. He slowly ran his thumb over my cheeks and I leaned info his hand.

But that didn't stop my frantic mumbling or shaking.

"Hey, Riley look at me. I'm here okay? It's me, Ryder. Breathe Riley, just breathe," he said pulling me into a hug.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and I rested my head and palms flat against his chest and he didn't seem to mind that they were sweaty.

He slowly started rubbing my lower back and stroking my hair. His touch was feather soft and I wouldn't have thought he was touching me if it weren't for his shoulders which were moving up and down.

"I promise I won't let anyone hurt you Riley," he mumbled into my hair.

We just stood there. Ryder and I wrapped in each other's embrace, not saying each other. I listened to his steady heartbeat and started to feel mine slow down until it mirrored his.

It seemed like Scott's party, Brandon and Ryder's hatred towards me had faded out of focus and we were the only two remaining people on earth. Standing there wrapped in Ryder's arms everything seemed to be non existent and all my problems seemed so far away.

It felt so right.

I pulled my head away from his chest to look up at him. He smiled a soft smile down at me and then it dawned on me.

I nearly had a nervous break down in front of Ryder Wilson.

I would have returned his smile if my sudden realisation hadn't made me feel ashamed of my actions, or if the fear that we were still standing on Scott's road with him less than two feet away from us hadn't seeped its way into my heart again.

I can't let him hurt Ryder.

What is going on with my head? First I hate him then I don't want to hurt him? God, I need a good nights rest.

"Please take me home," I whispered.

Ryder nodded and unwrapped his arms from around my wait and unlocked his midnight blue skyline which seemed so familiar because it was his car which almost killed me on the first day of school.

He made sure I was strapped in before getting in himself and starting the car. All the time while he reversed I kept my eyes on the sky blue Chevrolet, but this time there wasn't anyone standing by it.

Only when Scott's house was out of sight did I allow myself to lean back and loosen up.

I didn't remember getting home, or walking to bed. All I remembered was dozing off in Ryder's car with his fingers intertwined with mine while rubbing soothing circles on my knuckles.

And that Saturday morning I woke up in my bed, to someone violently pounding on my front door.

•••••

Yay! Riley and Ryder are finally warming up to each other...probably not for long ; )
Thanks for reading my chapter! : )
-Grayx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.8K 424 15
Sequel of There LOVE for me. Please read if you havent already. I do not own undertale or any photos or videos I use in this video unless I say othe...
102K 4.9K 40
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
895K 19.6K 63
COMPLETED NOT EDITED Elly isn't shy. She is smart, troublesome and loud, but a good way. She's basically a tomboy, loves playing spor...
8.8K 205 10
⚠️ Warning⚠️ This Fanfiction Contain's. _________________________ Spelling Mistakes/Grammars/Ship You May Not Like/Cringe/Swearing. Thank you for...