The Impossible Mission (Aveng...

By abbiemca

Whilst in combat in the US Army, Ava Richards stormed a terrorist base which contained chemically manipulated... More

The Impossible Mission (Avengers - [Loki] FanFic)
Chapter One - Doughnuts and Impossibilities.
Chapter Two - Godly Games
Chapter Three - Sleepovers, Lies and Rage Monsters
Chapter Four - Beneath the Stars
Chapter Six - Compromises
Chapter Seven - Nightmares
Chapter Eight - Hello Again
Chapter Nine - Conflict
Chapter Ten - A Visitor, Confessions and Pizza
Chapter Eleven - The Day Before The End
Chapter Twelve - Suiting Up
Chapter Thirteen - Into the Fray
Chapter Fourteen - Soldiering On
Chapter Fifteen - The Truth
Chapter Sixteen - Parting Ways
Epilogue

Chapter Five - Ballroom Dancing

62.3K 1.6K 2.3K
By abbiemca

The next morning I had woken up in my bed, in my dingy little apartment. It took me a moment to realise what was going on; Loki was beside me in my bed. A single bed, might I add. I choked on my breath, why is he in my bed?! I managed to calm myself and I began to breathe a little more normal. 

I didn't want to sit up straight away in case I disturbed him, but I guess I was going to have to, I was still in my clothes from yesterday and I needed to get changed. His cold, strong arms were clasped around my waist firmly and his face was millimetres away from mine. His hair had tumbled over his face slightly and his eyebrows were furrowed together, like he was having a bad dream. I can usually sense dreams or nightmares but not with Loki. I wanted to wake him up, and stop his nightmare but after last night, when he let everything out and wept with me, I decided he needed some sort of rest. I gently raised my head, successfully leaving Loki contented. There was no way I could escape his firm grasp on my waist with my bare hands; his arms felt like weights holding me down.

So carefully I splayed my fingers and allowed my hand to glow a pastel hue of pink, soon Loki's arms were lifted from me and I managed to stand from the bed without waking him. 

My bedroom is only small, hence the single bed. I haven't decorated in a while, and I rely on posters, pictures and shelves to hide my fading paintwork. I have a tall bookshelf crammed with old, tattered books and ornaments. I also had photos of myself, Tony, Bruce and Steve pinned up above the bed, those three being the only people I could actually call friends. 

There was a full length mirror in the corner of the room, with small floral engravings around the edges. It was a gift from an old friend, and I had just managed to not smash it. Next to the mirror was a small, elegant black desk with nothing but a few black Biro's and a silver laptop on top of it. 

Of course there was also a wardrobe, only slim though, as I don't own a vast amount of clothes. I picked out a loose t-shirt and some shorts, then walked into the bathroom to get changed. The bathroom was connected to my bedroom and could only be reached by walking through my room. I had to change in there because I couldn't imagine how awkward it would be if Loki woke up whilst I was getting changed in the room. I didn't look very pretty, but I really didn't care. I quickly brushed my teeth and hair and then strolled back through the bedroom to reach the kitchen. 

I made myself a cup of hot chocolate; I've never really been a great lover of tea or coffee. I sat at the small, glass table in the centre of my kitchen and sipped the hot beverage encased in my fingers. 

What do I do now? I can't take Loki to Fury, because then Loki won't trust me and I can't accomplish my mission of making him fall for me. He would just see me as a traitor, not somebody who he could love, 

He cnan't stay here either. I don't have anywhere, apart from my bed, and unfortunately, that's mine. He could always sleep on the couch but somebody broke all of the springs inside it. *cough* Tony *cough*

And if he does end up sharing my bed, that would only make things worse. I could no longer have guests around, I would have to lie to everyone. Heck, only one of my friends knows where I am now. They'll come looking for me soon enough, Bruce will tell them where I am eventually. Then what do I do?

"Good morning," a familiar silky voice said. I looked up from my hands and of course Loki was standing in front of me. He had changed too, he was now wearing a tight fitted green t-shirt and black jeans. Although he did look good in his clothes, he didn't seem particularly comfortable wearing them. "I much prefer formal Midguardian attire, not this casual form," He said, gently pulling a chair out from the small table. I gave him a weak smile as he sat down opposite me. 

"Did you sleep okay? You looked like you were having a bad dream when you were resting," I said, without realising how creepy I sounded. Loki raised an eyebrow. 

"You were watching me sleep?" He asked. I choked on my hot chocolate. 

"No! You were in my bed!" I said, suddenly becoming all flustered, and a blush crept across my face. Loki chuckled. 

"That was probably quite rude of me. I apologise. I will be leaving tonight so you won't have to worry about me stealing your chambers," Loki said, looking me straight in the eyes. 

"Why are you leaving?" I asked, sounded a lot more upset that I had intended to. I didn't even want him here. He sighed. 

"Surely you 'Avengers know why I'm here? To take over the world. And I can't do that by sitting under the stars with you, so I leave tonight."

"Loki, you can't just take over the world."

"I don't have a choice."

"Everybody has a choice."

"I'm not everybody."

"Loki-"

"I'm not arguing with you. I made a..deal with somebody and I can't back out now. I leave tonight," Loki's aid, his once soft emerald gaze now turned into a hollow, cold glare. 

"Fine. Go and destroy people's lives, but it won't work Loki, we'll stop you," I said firmly, not breaking his glare. How can he even think he can just rule Earth? Humans aren't playthings, we're real living things and we don't need a cruel dictatorship like him ruling us just because he couldn't be king of Asgard. Suddenly our tense silence was shattered by a laugh. 

"You really think so? You, with your funny glow up hands, a big, green, angry monster, a soldier in a fancy suit, a man of metal, a girl with some guns and my brother? I don't think so. have your archer. Clint? That's it isn't it? He's very good, and I have no intention of bringing him back to you. You think you can save the world with a few rejects, freaks if you like, of society. I have an army, Ava."

"It isn't just brute force that wins Loki. Leadership, passion, strength and belief win over all," I said standing from the table, starting to stroll away from our argument. But as I walked past, Loki grabbed hold of my wrist, like a vice. He stood up so that he was so close I could barely breathe. I tried to escape his grasp but it wouldn't work. I could have used my powers, but we would have only ended up fighting with each other. He smirked and led my over to my sitting room of my own apartment. he let go of me and strolled over to the old dusty CD player on a shelf. He pressed play and whatever was inside suddenly blasted out.

He held out his hand to me, but I just eyed it suspiciously. He smiled. The music had turned out to be classical, an old CD I used when reading. The sound of piano keys filled the air. 

"May I have this dance?" Loki asked, his arm still outstretched towards me. 

"I don't dance."

"Well I do," He said, pulling me towards him. He placed one hand on my waist and the held one of mine in his own. I placed my remaining hand on his shoulder. He pulled me close to him, so that our bodies were pressed against each other. He led the whole dance, gracefully turning and twirling me, perfectly in time with the tinkling of the ivory keys in the background. Who knew Loki was a pro dancer?

We were now both laughing together, spinning around my living room. I had temporarily forgotten all about Loki's plans for world domination and  destruction. I had even forgotten about him leaving tonight, as all I cared about at this moment in time was being so close to him right now, being so happy dancing with somebody who planned to defeat us all. 

What a sight we must have been, me in shorts and a loose top, and Loki in a t-shirt, both of us prancing around the room in bare feet and a sea of laughter. The music had quickened and Loki began to twirl and spin me faster, our feet moved quicker and personally, this was the most fun I had had in a long time. 

We carried on until he song had completely finished and on the last few notes, Loki spun me and then let me lean backwards, then quickly pulling me back up so that my face was literally a centimetre from his. He smiled at me and moved even closer, closing the gaps with his lips. 

Just as his lips were about to press against mine, there was a booming knock on the front door. I ran from his grasp towards the front door and right on cue the music had stopped. I gave  Loki a look before I opened the door and he nodded and retreated to my bedroom, closing the door behind him. 

He was about to kiss me...kiss me! Surely I'm getting somewhere with this mission?

I slowly moved towards the front of the house and when I pulled open the door I almost screamed. 

Bruce, Tony and Steve all stood facing me. 

"Guys! ...Um, come in!" I said, moving aside. Tony walked in first, with a smirk across his face, he almost ran over to the sofa he has already broken, and somersaulted onto it. 

"My sofa isn't a trampoline, Stark," I said, raising my hand and waving it, so that he ended up being flung off thee couch and sprawled out on the wooden floor. He muttered something that I chose to ignore as the other two came into my flat. 

Steve's usual rosy and cheerful complexion had somehow drained and he looked like a ghost. He looked as though he was about to throw his insides up. 

"Are you alright, Steve?" I asked, but before he could answer, Tony did it for him. 

"The shwarma didn't agree with him," Tony said, still lying in the middle of the floor. Steve glared at him and then took a seat in the armchair opposite the broken sofa. 

Bruce quietly walked into the flat and gave me a look that so clearly said 'this wasn't my idea'. I gave him a small smile and gestured for him to sit down. If he hadn't forgot about our phone call yesterday, Loki was here and he knows it. Hopefully he just won't realise I still have a God chilling in my bedroom. 

The three of them were now all sitting in my living room, Bruce took a seat on the broken sofa alongside Tony, and Steve still looked absolutely awful sat in the armchair. I was completely on edge the whole time, just in case Loki decided to stroll out and say hello, or if one of my guests decided to go into my room. How the hell would I explain that?

"Guys, would you like a drink?" I asked politely, being the lovely hostess that I am. Steve and Bruce declined my offer but Tony ordered and martini. I sighed and mad him his drink, I have a supply of 'Tony Drinks' because I know what he's like. I handed him his drink and soon enough the four of us were sat in the living room laughing and joking, and I had almost forgotten about Loki. 

"What did Fury do? After Loki and I left," I asked.

"He started screaming and shouting at us all, well, mainly Steve because he was there what it happened," Tony said, swirling his Martini in its glass. I looked at Steve apologetically, but he wasn't even paying attention. Was he really that ill?

"Steve are you sure you're okay?" I asked, warily. I begun to stand form the sofa and move towards Steve's chair.

"I-I think I'm going to be sick," Steve said, clasping his hands over his mouth. I shot up and tried to drag him off the seat but it was too late. He had already vomited all over me and himself. 

"N'aw thanks Cap," I muttered, "really appreciate the puke,"

"I'm so sorry Ava," He said. I sighed. Tony was now literally rolling on the floor, with tears dripping down his face. Even Bruce found it all hilarious. 

"Stay here. I'll go see if I have a shirt for you to wear," I said, strolling off into my bedroom. I slammed the door shut and frantically began to search for Loki. He was nowhere to be seen. I came to my bed and there was a small, black velveteen box on the navy covers. I picked it up and placed the soft box in the palm of my hand. I slowly took the lid off and the inside was lined with blood red silk, all ruffled to perfection. Then lying in the silk was a piece of parchment, with a watermarked coat of arms. I picked it up, unfolded it and in gold, slanted handwriting it read:

'I can't stay, not when you have other Avengers in your house. It's too dangerous, for me and yourself. I was leaving tonight anyway and I'm sure you won't miss me. But I will return for you Ava, I'm just unsure of when. I don't think you quite realise how much you mean to me. You will see me again,  Ava. And I look forward to it.  -Loki.'

I re-read the golden writing about 6 times before I could place it down again. 'I don't think you quite realise how much you mean to me....' What's that supposed to mean?! God dammit Loki! I understood why he had left and everything but did he actually care about me? Have I completed the mission? I picked up the box again and underneath the paper which I hadn't seen earlier, was a very delicate golden chain. I picked it up and held it in front of me. It was a bracelet, with a charm hanging from it. A small horse, rearing up on it's hind legs. The horse was gold too, just like the chain. However it's eyes were not, they were a dazzling shade of green. Emeralds. Real emeralds...and the only thing I could think of when I looked at them was Loki's eyes. 

This bracelet must be worth more than all of my possessions put together, including my flat. 

Loki had given me a golden bracelet. Why on Earth would he do that? Maybe he really does care about me...But he's The God of Mischief, he could have his own plan. 

I let the chain run through my fingers like water, before catching it in my other hand. I think this was the most beautiful gift anybody has ever given to me. I suppose it was just a pity it was from a psychopath who planned to rule Earth. 

I gently stuffed the bracelet into the pocket of my shorts and put the note back into the red silk of the box. I then placed the box on my bedside cabinet and walked over to my wardrobe to get myself and Steve new shirts. My three friends stayed here often, therefore I had some spare clothes for them. I picked up a pale blue and white shirt for Steve, and a white blouse for myself. I quickly changed into the blouse and then left my bedroom to give Steve his new shirt. 

 I walked back out into the living room, my mind still occupied on Loki's gift. I handed Steve his shirt and then sat down vacantly on the couch. Steve mumbled a thank you, Tony was just sprawled across my wooden floor sipping his martini and watching TV. Bruce was sat comfortably on the couch, chatting with Tony, also watching TV. 

Why did Loki give me a present? I didn't understand it. I didn't understand him. I don't understand my feelings towards him and I don't understand his feelings towards me. If only I could get into his head. Argh! Where has he gone? I know he has gone to rule the world, but  where? 

Oh God...As soon as Fury finds out that I've lost his prisoner, I'm in so much trouble. I'm off the Avengers. Oh no. Oh no, oh no. Thor, what will he say? I've just let his brother go. The brother he wanted to keep an eye on and take home, I've lost him. And I haven't accomplished my mission of making him fall for me...or have I? He tried to kiss me and he gave me a present...Why give me a mission that I can't tell when I've finished or not?! This is impossible!

May as well say your goodbyes now, Ava. You're off the Avengers, kicked out of S.H.I.E.L.D.

"Ava, are you alright?" Bruce asked quietly. I snapped my attention back to my guests and all three of them were staring at me. Then I noticed my hands; they were glowing red, not pastel pink like they usually do. Red. As soon as I stopped panicking about Loki and missions, my hands turned back to normal, No glowing. 

"I...I have to go," I said, shooting up from my seat and running to the front door. My hands had never done that before, ever. They have only ever glowed pink, never red. Is this to do with Loki? What has he done to me? I think he's broke me. So much for me fixing himhe needs to fix me. 

Why even give me this mission? I can barely do normal missions with Stark, never mind entrusting me with a prisoner and telling me to make him fall in love with me; clearly I'm just going to lose them. I noticed my hands; they were glowing like rubies again. This is definitely Loki's fault. As soon as I start getting worked up over him my hands glow red. 

I opened the door quickly and slammed it behind me. What do I do now? I can't look for Loki, that would just be another impossible mission. 

I suppose I can only do one other thing. 

Tell Fury I've lost Loki. 

~~~~~~~

A/N: I'm sorry I haven't been uploading recently, but I have got the next chapter finished, but I'm not sure when I can upload it. I know there isn't much action at the moment, but all in good time! Thank you all for your feedback and support!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

438K 14.2K 41
LokiXReader Fanfic. Bit of a Slow burner, compared to some I have read ❤️. When Y/N is caught up in an avengers mission concerning Hydra, she is no l...
1.4K 43 20
(SPOILER WARNING- SPOILERS FOR ALL OF THE MARVEL MOVIES LEADING UP TO CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS BEFORE THIS ONE IN THE TRIO...
9.4K 159 16
Y/n Barton is not just any girl. When she was 10 she know that she wanted to be just like her father so she started to train as a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent...
55.3K 1.4K 40
Mistreated from a young age and sent away in her teens by her parents, she all but disappeared off the face of the Earth. Years of abuse from her new...