atla one shots

By Polarbear-Pancake

Just a whole bunch of one shots for Avatar: the Last Airbender. I personally like Zuko a bunch, so these will... More

1- skin n bones
2- cuddles
3-fire
4- past abuse
5- touch starved
6-kid
7-inner fire
8-blind/deaf
9-father
10- wings
11- attack
12- omega
13-scars
14- helping
15-fever
16- shifters
17- secret
18- prisoner Zuko
20-polyamorous
21-sleep deprived
22- protective
23- home
24- never have I ever
25-hanging around
26 - Combustion man
27- soulmates
28 - HTTYD AU
29 - chained and whipped
30 - bleeding out
31 - tears
32 - magic AU
33 - Hero Au

19-spirit

1.6K 28 0
By Polarbear-Pancake

So, I'm really changing it here. Zuko will be born three years earlier than he was in the show, and he's going to be killed at the age of 17, in the Agni Kai,against his father, for the same reasons, and so he dies a good 3 years before the avatar is discovered to be alive. This is basically the same as the show, just the enemies will be aged up, along with Iroh, and the little snippets where Aang sees and occasionally talks to, Zuko.

Zuko's POV

I smile softly from where I sit on a rock, watching this young child try to find something he can never have. I momentarily frown, sad he died so young and sad he has to face the harsh truth, that he couldn't grow older and live longer, but I get it that war has casualties and kids are more often targets. Small and simple, but enough to get a person into a rampage and kill them, or to cause great sorrow to any one family they feel.

The young child finally spots me, and races towards me, tears streaming down his cheeks. He's going to be one of those types, hmm? I open my arms and he jumps into them, burying his face and entire body in me, sobbing and wailing, because he's aware he is dead and won't be seeing any of the ones he loved for a very long time, maybe even never. However, I will become part of his family, along with a great deal of other people.

"Hello young one. Are you ready, or do you need more time?"

"I... I think I'm ready... Who are you?"

"My name is Zuko, young one,and I will be your guide, to where the rest of the children are. They will be your family, until yours finds you, or maybe not. It's all up to you. Now, let's go."

I gently stand and walk across the lovely colored ground, heading toward an area where pure white light and green and laughter can be heard. I keep the children there and protect them as best I can, from the other things that live here. So far, I have not lost a child, and I don't plan to. This young boy, he buries himself deeper into me when he feels the murdeous intent coming from some of the other things that live here, before he sees the white and looks curiously. 

"Is that where we're going? It looks so pretty."

I smile and nod, because the place don't look like much, but it is. The ground is a soft, lush green, and the sky a nice lovely shade of purple blue, while the white comes from the moon, a constant presence in this area. It sets a nice tone and the kids can play whenever they want, sleep whenever they want, I am just here to protect them from the rest of this place, which is less kind. However, I love this place and care for all of these kids.

I bend down and nod to the kid, urging him to go join the others. He hesitates, but let's go of me and settles on the ground. In minutes, he's running around with the other kids, playing and laughing. I smile and then let the power that had been trying to take me away, do just that. When I open my eyes, I'm staring at a kid, the Avatar, I believe is what he is. Still just a kid, and thrust into war so soon, at that. Poor thing. Oh, well, let's see why I was summoned.

"Kid, what are you doing here?"

He jerks and turns to face me, before his grey eyes meet mine and I know he's the avatar. He's got the air bending arrows all over him, or at least what skin I can see, and he isn't trying to hide who he is. 12. So young. I sigh and sit down, waiting for him to either speak or leave. Whatever it comes to. He feels familiar in some kind of way, so maybe I'be helped him somewhere before... why does he spirit energy keep calling me? I recognize it from somewhere.

"I'm the avatar. I just wanted to talk to one of my ancestors. C...can you help me find them?"

I smile, another kid asking for help. Who was I to deny him?

"I can help you, kid. We'll just have to go to my place, however, which shouldn't be hard. Much. Come on."

I stand and start for the little beacon on my  internal map, the one I know will automatically lead me to my field, the place I protect and keep. He follows behind me, sticking close to my back, like I figured he would. I naturally generate a little area around me, that gives off protection and safety and warmth, to make the kids more welcome and to let them know, nothing will get to them, not while I'm here. He almost trips, except I reflexively shoot out an arm and stable him being careful to only grip the part of his arm where he can force me to let go, if he so wishes. I blink and smile down at him when he keeps hold of my sleeve, before gently tugging him along with me. 

It takes only minutes to return to my place, and the kids that see me immediately tackle my legs and torso with hugs, before going right back to playing. I smile and always hug them back, before continuing to lead the Avatar, through the midst of the children and to the room I have, where I keep my swords and practice my firebending. I open the door and let him in, before entering and closing the door, grabbing a candle from beside the door and lighting it as I go. I smile and head down some stairs, where a gentle orangish blue light comes from, and then rub the kids bald head affectionately. 

"Here's your stop. Roku should be on the other side, but I can't make any promises, since he comes and goes a he pleases. I need to go and watch over the kids, but when you're done, feel free to leave or come up and play, I don't care."

He nods, surprise showing in his eyes as I turn and walk right back up the stairs. The kids keep playing, laughing and running around, while I sit down criss cross on a flat rock, watching the children and the nearby lands, but I feel a tug at my core and follow it, because this kind of tug only comes when a kid is being chased in the spirit world right after they got here and they're scared. I come out and immediately attack the scavenger birds following the kid, who grips my leg and hides behind me. I growl and snarl at the birds, but they must be starving, because they continue to charge. 

I shoot off fire, warning the birds, but they keep coming, so I sigh slightly, before setting them all on fire. They squawk in pain and fly in circles, while I turn and ignore them. I crouch down and wrap my arms around her, cooing and shushing her. I see Roku coming slowly from the corner of my eye, and I think maybe the avatar, but I don't have time as I have to calm this girl. I squat and pull her into me, letting her hide her face as she trembles and shakes, trying to get over the adrenaline rush, along with the sudden fact of being dead. I can't say I blame her, I was older when I died and I had several problems, until I started rescuing and protecting the kids.

"Hey, little one, it's ok. I've got you now. Nothing will hurt you. Not while I'm here. Would you like to come with me, have some laughs with kids your age, maybe a few a little older. Would that be ok?"

She whimpers and tries to bury herself further into me. I let her, knowing it won't work but it'll give her comfort. I wonder if she had an older sibling, since she seems to know exactly what she's doing, curled up mostly in my arms, face buried under my chin, and tears dripping into my collarbone instead of my shirt.

"Yes. Please... just don't let the mean birds get me."

I pick her up and carefully start for my camp, area, knowing Roku is explaining something to the avatar, but not entirely caring. The little girl curls up, but as we enter the realm, something urges her to look up. She looks around, pausing when something catches her eye, before a few of the kids come near, surrounding me, while the others continue to play. 

"Will she play with us?"

"Can she play with us?"

"Will you put her down?"

I sigh fondly and shake me head.

"Yes, but only if you calm down and back up, little ones. Ok?"

They nod and back up, while I crouch and set the little girl on her feet, before scooting back. She takes a step towards me, but the other kids gently make a circle sound her, before one steps forward, a little one who wished to be called they, them, pronouns, and thus, they step forward, and stretch a hand towards the little girl. She hesitates, before grabbing the hand, and soon, she's running and playing with the others, laughing as they play tag, or fire tag, or some variation, being kids from all nations. 

"Wow... you're really good with kids, Zuko. I've always wanted to meet you, or at least, for a few years now, about 45? I think that's right. I think I could feel you, while I was trapped in the ice, talking to me and on occasions, giving me hugs. Yes, yes... I think that's right."

I smile, so this was Aang, the avatar, the little 12 year old kid I stayed with on the occasion I had the chance, who I comforted and calmed and hugged, because he was panicking and sobbing, or at least his soul was, whenever it came to me. I had tried to visit him about 4 months ago, but he hadn't been there, so I guess that must mean he got out before that. I was happy he was gone, it meant he was no longer trapped, and he could find happiness. Looks like he did, I hope.

"You're right, I was there, in my free time. I was simply trying to help, as I do with all the other kids. Now, did you get what you needed?"

Roku winks and disappears, and I sigh. Of course he's going to leave me alone with Aang. But, I can't say I hate it, not when I already know so much about him, and pretty much everything I need to know to help to kid now. I smile and do the simplest thing to wash away his insecurities, his doubts, his everything, leaving only the child he really is, by wrapping him in a hug. He relaxes and buries himself in me, sighing and drifting off to sleep almost immediately. I smile as he leaves the spirit world, but he'll be back, he always is. 

I might start visiting him while he's sleeping, cause he looked sleep deprived. I don't know, but it would seem like he hadn't slept in a while and that's never good for a kid. I frown, and sigh, running my fingers thought my hair, even as I try to explain to myself how I'm going to get into his dreams, more likely, nightmares, and give him some peace. Maybe if I ask some of the older spirits or maybe make a deal with Roku or one of the rather Avatar spirits that wonder in. It wouldn't be too hard. 

Guess it's just something else I'll have to figure out, while picking up kids, training and watching the kids, and on the occasion, talking to Roku, who I might just kick next I see him, leaving me with Aang alone. Who am I kidding? Of course he was going to do that, it was Roku. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 80 3
A boy who had lost his memory but had to sacrificed everything and everyone dear to him must embark on a journey that will change the state of the wo...
624K 15.7K 20
Iroh takes in the Ba Sing Se's army general's daughter after the death of her father. She replaces the child he has lost. She is raised in the Fire N...
144K 4.9K 15
You, the reader, woke up on a ship and discovered that you had been transported to the Avatar universe. You have to work with the GAng and figure out...