The Challenge of the Masters

By DianaTheThird

♈ - Book II of the Astral Guardians Series - ♌ A princess who has the fate of the worlds in her hands. A prin... More

⊱⊰ 1: Lionheart [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 2: Empathy [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 3: Obstacle [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 4: Emotions [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 5: A Small Town Called Io [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 6: Rune [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 7: Question of Control [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 8: When the Enemy Knocks the Door [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 9: Always on My Mind [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 10: On the Road [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 11: Lucid Dreams [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 12: Home [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 13: Idealism of the Dragon King [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 14: Welcome to London [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 15: A Mother's Heart [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 16: The Guardian that Steals Light [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 17: Sagittarius [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 18: Meet the Malulus [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 19: The Chosen Ones' Quest [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 20: The Only Treasure [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 21: Appearances [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 22: Deceit [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 23: Payback [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 24: A Trick of the Mind [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 25: Shield of Cancer [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 26: Kaus Australis [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 27: A New Journey [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 28: Faded Snapshots [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 29: Saranyu of Ribawe [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 30: A Heart's Desire [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 31: Lunara [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 32: Lady Urié [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 33: Whispers of the Mysterious Master [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 35: Arrival of the Royal Family [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 36: Capricorn [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 37: Virgo's Wish [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 38: An Invisible Threat [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 39: A Twist of Fate [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 40: Departure [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 41: Enemy's Territory ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 42: Park of Endless Caves ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 43: Risk ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 44: Ellanie's Tale ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 45: Haven ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 46: No Way Out ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 47: The Earth Master's Call ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 48: Rampage ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 49: Reunion ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 50: Fire and Earth ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 51: After the Fall ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 52: An Unusual Family ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 53: Two Worlds ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 54: At the Mother Island ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 55: Song of the Water Goddess ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 56: Under the Sea ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 57: Regrets ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 58: Accords ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 59: The Siren's Call ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 60: Riddle of the Hidden Master ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 61: Where the Waters Don't Meet ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 62: Gas, Solid, Liquid and a Foe ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 63: Circumstances ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 64: Fate of the Unknown ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 65: New Beginnings ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ Epilogue ⊱⊰
~ Author's Note ~
⊱⊰ Teaser + Announcement ⊱⊰

⊱⊰ 34: Lotus Flower [Revised] ⊱⊰

902 89 102
By DianaTheThird

The door creaked as Xu opened it and entered the area. The trio followed him.

As Arisa examined her surroundings, she found herself in a large room with white walls that had streams of flowers with light shades of pink beautifying their surface. Arisa recognized the lotus flowers right away and noticed that they were used as decoration around the room.

Various furniture filled the area, from chairs with fluffy seats to desks that had small vases exhibiting more lotus flowers. What caught Arisa's interest was a dark statuette standing on a small table by the wall. The figure was of a woman standing on a pond, holding a flute and lotus flowers.

"Ah, Xu," said a quiet voice across the room.

Arisa shifted her view to her front. Several steps away from them, she spotted an old man in white robes tidying up the documents on his desk. The man's animal ears that blended with his gray voluminous hair could be barely seen.

"I'm surprised to see you wandering around so calmly," continued the old man. "I thought you would be busy with your team to help with security for today's event."

"My team isn't on duty today, grandfather Liu," said Xu. "Today I'm free to watch the event as a spectator."

Liu grabbed more papers, readying them to put them on a shelf. "Is that so?"

Xu nodded and gazed around as if he was looking for someone.

"Where are the others?" he asked. "Their help is needed."

Liu fixed his glasses. "Most of the healers went to their respective teams to use their abilities for this special event. Mika and I are the only ones left in our usual roles, but she left for a bit."

"Oh," said Xu, glancing over his shoulders, "then, until Mika shows up these fellows will be under your care, grandfather."

Xu invited the trio to walk forward. As they approached the table where the old man was located, he looked at them with fascination.

"Interesting," he said, looking at each of them. "Who are these curious-looking younglings?"

"They are friends of Garoh," replied Xu. "He met them during the trial in the Forbidden Lands."

Liu gazed at Xu. He then glanced at the trio with a smile spreading across his face.

"Then that means you've met my lovely granddaughter Nala," he said cheerfully.

Arisa nodded. "Yes. She's been a wonderful friend and skillful member of our team."

As Liu smiled, Arisa saw him wiping a tear before it fell down his cheek.

"I've always seen potential in Nala, ever since I found her and her brother wandering in the streets trying to survive," said Liu, his voice quiet. "When I adopted them, I was proud to see her grow an interest in the healing world. She definitely would have become a great healer."

Arisa's brows raised. "Nala was adopted?"

Knowing that she herself was adopted, she was surprised to hear that a close member of her team was also an adopted child. She wondered what happened to Nala's family for her and her brother to wander around the streets alone.

"Yes," Xu replied, his tone quiet. "My sister and I come from a small village, far from the capital."

Arisa gazed at Xu, her curiosity getting the better of her.

"Our parents were our only family," continued Xu. "After they passed away, we wandered around the country, trying to survive. We met grandfather Liu when we begged for food and he ended up adopting us weeks later."

Arisa blinked twice upon hearing those words. Pity spread in her blood as she imagined two children trying to survive alone in the streets. Her admiration for Nala grew stronger; she had gone through many difficulties until she met her new family and Garoh. Despite looking weak, Nala was strong in her own way.

"Alright then," said Liu, breaking the brief silence, "who are the patients that need to be treated?"

Arisa walked forward. "It's me and Thelma."

Arisa patted Thelma's shoulder as if she was introducing her to Liu.

"Well then," said Liu, having a seat and gesturing at a seat opposite to his desk as if he was inviting one of them to sit there. "Since Mika isn't here yet, I can only treat one patient at a time. Who would like to be first?"

Arisa and Thelma exchanged looks, both of them expressing that they wouldn't mind being last.

"You suffered more damage than I did," said Arisa, examining Thelma's left arm, "you should go first."

Thelma smiled. "If you insist then I'll go. I hope the procedure won't take long so you can be treated soon."

Arisa's lips curved up as she watched Thelma approach Liu's desk and have a seat. When Thelma curled the long sleeves and placed her wounded arm on the table, the healer fixed his glasses and examined it carefully.

"I think I'll join Thelma to see how the healing process works." Kazuya walked a few steps forward. "I'm really curious."

"Have fun," said Arisa. "I'll join you when it's my turn."

Kazuya nodded. When he grabbed a chair to sit by Thelma's side, Liu was busy explaining something to her before he started his healing session.

Arisa decided to admire the decoration of their surroundings that only had lotus flowers as its theme. She wondered what was special about them. As she walked around the room, she stopped at the small statuette of the lady holding a flute in one hand and holding a lotus flower in the other.

For several seconds, her gaze only focused on that dark statuette.

"I see that He Xiangu's statue has caught your attention," said a voice behind her.

Arisa jumped a little upon hearing that voice. She was so focused on that figure that she didn't notice Xu's presence.

"Xu," she said, looking at him. "Yes, this statue certainly has caught my attention and these lotus flowers...I can only imagine that the healers love them."

Xu chuckled. "Yeah, sort of. It is believed that the lotus flower is the source of the healers' healing powers."

Arisa's brows arched upon hearing those words. She was curious to hear more.

"Lunara has two legends," said Xu. "One in which the moon goddess gifted its people with the Lunarian Force and the other in which the deity of healing helped Lunarians to develop healing powers by consuming her lotus flower. The lady you see in the statue is Lunara's deity of healing."

Arisa blinked as she examined the statue of the lady standing on a pond.

"That's amazing," said Arisa. "So by consuming the flower, you people gain healing powers?"

Xu shook his head. "No. We are born with the ability to control the Lunarian Force. But for those who wish to be healers, they spend years studying to convert that force into healing power. However, the legend says that the first healers consumed that flower to become one and their children were born with the ability to heal, sacrificing the Lunarian Force."

"I see," said Arisa, looking back at the statuette.

She now understood why Nala couldn't use that special ability to protect herself in the Forbidden Lands.

"So the lotus flower is basically the healers' symbol," she said, her tone quiet.

Xu replied with a nod and before she could say anything else, Thelma's voice filled the room, telling Arisa that it was her turn to get treated. Arisa and Xu quickly walked towards Liu's table and as soon as they reached it, Arisa had a seat and stretched her arm, ready to be healed.

--♐♑♓--

Minutes after Arisa was healed, a feline being in a bright uniform rushed in the room, warning everyone to get ready as the royal family from Ribawe would be in the palace at any minute.

"I'm sure our infirmary isn't on the list of their visit," teased Liu as the feline being walked away from the area. "But we never know, the healers are the pride of Lunara, so I'd better prepare myself in case His and Her Majesty want to show off."

"Well, in this case, I won't spend my time in the palace." Xu folded his arms. "I'll admire the event with the crowd."

Liu stood up. "That's not a bad idea. It will be fun cheering with the crowd, but what about our guests?"

Liu gazed at the trio curiously.

"We'll join Xu," said Thelma. "It would be weird if both royal families found three strangers from other worlds hanging out with you."

Laughter filled the atmosphere for a few seconds.

"Then we'd better leave," suggested Xu. "Or else we might cross path with both families."

The group wished Liu good luck before they rushed away from the bright room with lotus flowers.

It took them a few minutes to finally leave the large palace and throughout their trip, Arisa noticed that the corridors were calmer and only met a small number of beings walking by. She also noticed a few additional decorative details on the walls.

When they reached the main gate that would lead them away from the royal property, Arisa's eyes widened. The tall silver gates were wide open and several guards stood by either side of the entrance. As she walked on the stairs, Arisa recognized the tiger-like and human-like beings that had made access to the palace more difficult for her team.

Her heart raced, spreading more excitement as she saw the scene in front of her. Several meters in front of her, behind short improvised barriers, stood a crowd of different beings waiting for the guests that would soon arrive. Some of those creatures held flowers, others cheered. Arisa could feel their excitement from where she was standing.

"So I'm guessing the Royal Family is like a celebrity in this world as well," said Thelma.

Xu glanced over his shoulder. "They are, especially the two princes."

"Why am I not surprised by that?" teased Thelma.

As quick laughter joined the atmosphere, Arisa gazed at the crowd with fascination. Her heart sped when she spotted a tall young man in dark clothing, standing behind a cat-like man that was busy talking to a woman. The young man showed his back to her and sometimes looked sideways as he spoke to a cloaked figure in front of him.

Arisa's heart beat even faster. Zen.

For a moment, Arisa felt as if her surroundings had frozen, only seeing him. Her heart skipped and she touched her chest. Confusion flooded her mind as she battled against her feelings.

She tried to calm herself and looked at the crowd standing several meters in front of her. Zen seemed as if he was having an unfriendly discussion with a cloaked figure. He glanced sideways again, looking annoyed. He then walked away, disappearing in the crowd.

The cloaked figure rubbed its chin as it focused its view back to the front. Arisa's forehead wrinkled, noticing that the figure's hand was of deep green color. Heaviness pulled Arisa's heart as she felt the creature's gaze on her.

"Arisa, what's wrong?" asked Kazuya, patting her shoulder.

"What?" Arisa blinked as she looked at him.

Kazuya tilted his head. "You suddenly stopped walking along with us. Is something bothering you?"

Arisa glanced at the crowd not far from them; she felt heaviness pulling her heart as her gaze met the cloaked figure again. She shifted her view back at Kazuya, who looked back at her with worry.

"Um. I think," she said quietly, "I think I saw Zen in the crowd."

Kazuya's eyes widened. He quickly held Arisa's hand and examined the crowd before them.

"Where did you see him?" he asked.

Arisa took a deep breath. "He left. He was talking to the cloaked person who is still standing with the crowd."

For a few seconds, only the chatter of the crowd filled the atmosphere as Kazuya and Thelma examined their surroundings.

"I don't see anyone with a cloak," said Thelma, still examining the area.

"What?" Arisa returned her gaze to her front.

She frowned as her eyes met beast-like creatures and human-like beings with animal features. She examined every side of the crowd carefully. She was sure the figure was standing there a few seconds ago.

Kazuya squeezed Arisa's hand. "I don't care about the cloaked figure but if that traitor is here, it means that some of his friends are also here."

"They must be up to something to not attack Garoh and his family right away," said Thelma. "We'd better prepare ourselves in case of an attack."

Kazuya agreed with a nod. "It could be that they're waiting to confirm that we're here. After all, they are targeting Arisa's companions from the Forbidden Lands to find her."

Arisa gazed at the brownish-gray ground, remembering that an encounter with Zen meant a deadly battle against each other. Weakness struck her knees as she thought that.

"Don't worry," said Kazuya, looking at her. "I'll protect you. I won't allow him to hurt you again."

Upon hearing those words, Arisa tried to show him a calming smile but failed. Deep inside, she was still sad that the friendship between the three of them ended like this.

To watch the safety of the royal families, Kazuya suggested Xu to find an area close to the entrance to see the event. Xu ended up guiding them to cross the wide path and stand in a place right in front of the entrance. The two silver statues that stood on either side of the staircase looked a bit small from their distance.

They met Dalia, who had swapped her simple oriental clothing to a dark military uniform with bronze details. She told them that she along with an older companion were in charge of the security of this side of the area.

As the group lost themselves in a chat with the girl with golden hair that had features of a cheetah, Arisa examined the crowd that stood behind an improvised barrier several steps away from her. She turned around when she didn't spot any cloaked figure or a tall boy with raven hair.

"Oh looky! A person from my world made it to the restricted section," complained a male voice behind her. "Tell me, what did you do for them to let you stand there? They won't allow me to go beyond this barrier despite being a journalist."

Arisa turned around again. Through the crowd that was mostly beastmen, she saw a slim man with short blond hair, who looked to be in his mid-twenties. His pale fingers fidgeted with his camera as his icy-blue eyes gazed at Arisa with interest behind his glasses.

Arisa glanced around, acting as if she was confused.

"I'm talking to you, young miss." The man pointed his finger at her.

Arisa took a few steps forward. "Me?"

The man nodded. Arisa stared at the man with no idea what to say; she didn't want to tell him that she was friends with Garoh.

"I have been trying to take photos of the palace and the royal families." The man played with his camera. "But was told that I couldn't pass beyond this barrier and that's not fun."

The man raised his camera, taking a picture of the palace.

"Pictures from afar aren't that interesting for an event like this," he said, swiping on his device. "I need interesting photos to give life to our boring newspaper."

Before Arisa could give him any suggestion, the man took another picture. This time of her. Arisa blinked continually, her mouth agape.

The man smiled as he checked the picture on his camera. "I wonder how he would react if I show him this picture after he accomplishes what he has to do. He would definitely cry."

Arisa frowned and tilted her head, having no idea what this man was up to, to say random things.

"Anyway," said the man, "I wonder why they won't let us journalists approach the area more; it's our job to report such an important event to the worlds."

Arisa shrugged. "Maybe they want to avoid trouble?"

A chuckle mixed with the crowd's chatter as the man gazed at Arisa.

"Trouble," repeated the man. "What kind of troubles would we bring? I know we sometimes ask stupid questions or ask questions that invade people's privacy, but that's our job. Unless by trouble you mean we could attempt to kill the royal families. That would be ridiculous. The princess of Ribawe will do that herself."

Arisa frowned. "W-what do you mean by that?"

Arisa remembered that Saranyu had mentioned that she would do anything to stop her marriage with Garoh. But Arisa didn't believe that Saranyu would go as far as to kill Garoh and his family. Arisa looked at the man all confused. She wondered who this person actually was to say such things.

"The princess is bringing a curse to Lunara." The man fixed his glasses. "She will kill the prince and most of the citizens of this country might lose their lives."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 1.2K 45
♌-- Book III of the Astral Guardians Series --♈ To fulfill his late mother's dream has always been En's aim in life. Even though he's not sure he wil...
1K 51 45
Raynar has always had two agenda: To fulfill his duty as a guardian and to avenge his mother's death. His father made sure he is trained well, which...
1.7K 497 17
🏆Round 2 Qualifier🏆 Princess Aurelia, better known to her friends as Aure, has led a comfortable life in the kingdom of Geldery for as long as she...
1.8K 93 26
A princess; a teenage girl was raised by mutants her whole life with no memory of her biological family, having been sent away from them for hers and...