Don't Worry • Credence Barebo...

By axptcat

*** PLEASE REFER TO THE 'EXTREMELY IMPORTANT UPDATE' CHAPTER FOR DETAILS ON THE PROGRESSION OF THE BOOK'S STO... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
-BREAK-
Seven
A/N again sorry
Special!
Thank you
Eight
Nine
A/N
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Update:
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
I'm stopping again because I have to thank you all
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Demographics
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
UM HI
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT UPDATE
author's note

Thirty-Four

1.1K 24 19
By axptcat

A/N: I've kind of lost hope in this story so um

Credit to imaginecredence on tumblr 

-

About a week had passed since New Years. It was a pretty uneventful week, until now.

You were on your way home from a horrible day at work. You had just been let go. There were many reasons why. One reason being you had been getting to work really late... because of Credence. You, of course didn't blame him. He was just hard to leave sometimes.
So now you were on your way home and you just felt awful. You didn't know how you were going to tell Credence, or if you even could.

You slowly made your way up the stairs to your apartment. Opening the door you kept your eyes to the ground, not being able to look at Credence because you knew you would burst into tears.
"Hey, Y/N! How was your day?" He asked in what was a cheerful voice for him. "It was fine." You said quietly, still not looking up.
You noticed that he was in front of the stove making dinner.
"I'm making your favorite! Beef stew." He told you.
"I'm not very hungry." You said, just finishing hanging up your coat. "I'm really tired. I think I'm just going to go to bed." You went upstairs, not once looking at him.
Credence's spirits sank as he watched you walk up the stairs.

He ate dinner by himself, in the dim apartment. All that was running through his brain was how strange you were acting. He decided you were probably just tired and had a hard day at work, so he tried to stop thinking about it.

The next morning Credence woke up and realized you were still upstairs. It was getting late into the morning and by this time you were usually ready and about to leave for work.
He quietly crept up the stairs to see you. "Hey, you're gonna be late for work." He said quietly, after making sure you were awake.
"I'm not going to work today." You told him. "I don't feel well."
"Is your fever back? Can I get you anythi-" "No, I'm fine." You moaned, rolling over on your side, your back now facing him. He stepped back, feeling his heart sink. He was so confused. "O-Okay." He said quietly. "If you need anything let me know."
You didn't reply, you just laid there motionless till he went back downstairs. You turned on your back, and laid there, feeling tears well up in your eyes. Blinking you sent them, cold down your cheeks. Why were you acting like this? Sure, you had just lost your job, but it was something different. You felt this emptiness inside you that you couldn't explain. You felt so lonely. Like you would never be happy again.

Quite a while later Credence came to check on you. You were awake, laying on your side, facing him.
He smiled a little and sat on the chair that was still by your bed from when you were sick. Then he pulled out the book you had been reading and began reading it aloud to you.
You just stared at him, not feeling any kind of emotion. You honestly just wanted to be alone. You rolled over on your other side, away from him. At this, Credence paused and looked up from the book. His heart fell and he didn't know what to do. He stood up and went back downstairs.
He sat at the table, attempting to draw, but he couldn't do it. He couldn't concentrate. All he could think about was how you were acting. You never acted this way, so distant and cold. It came out of nowhere, and all of a sudden that all he could think about was that he was the reason for it.
He went to bed that night thinking about it.

The next morning was the same. You didn't come down for breakfast and you didn't say a word to Credence when we brought you breakfast. He just came in, placed the plate on your side table and slipped out.
You didn't touch the food. You weren't hungry at all.
Later, Credence brought you lunch and took the breakfast plate.

The whole day he hung around the apartment. He didn't know what to do with himself. True, it was always just him during the day, but it was different now. You were upstairs and things weren't right.
He paced back and forth. He tried to read, but couldn't concentrate.
At the end of the night, when dinner was over, (he had brought you a dinner plate as well) he was sitting in the corner of the kitchen, alone with his thoughts. So many different thoughts rushed through his head. He was so lost in the bitterness that he didn't realize that his Obscurus had began to form and it was gently floating around the room. He also didn't notice you coming down the stairs. The Obscurus startled you, making you jump and clutch your heart. That was the most emotion you had shown all day.
You continued your way down the stairs slowly. You kept your eyes on the dark mass, in hopes of not upsetting it. It was starting to get closer to, and you started backing up into a wall.
"Credence!" You said, desperately.
The darkness quickly backed away from you, and you started to breathe again.
"I'm so sorry." Credence said, standing up from the corner.
"It's fine." You said in a raspy voice.

He was silently crying and you pretended not to notice. You bowed your head, holding your hands in front of you.
"Did you need something?" Credence asked, wiping his nose.
"I just needed a drink."
"You could have asked m-"
"It's late, I thought you'd be asleep." You told him.
You made your way passed him, getting a glass down from the cupboard. Filling it up from the sink, you didn't say a word. Credence stood stiffly, his back facing you.
You took a sip than poured the rest in the sink.
You walked past him again, going back to bed.
"Y/N?" You heard him say behind you.
"What?" You answered, not turning around.
"Good night."
You quietly replied, "G'night." and went back upstairs, to bed.

The next morning you opened your eyes to yet another breakfast plate by your bed. There also was a little note beside it that read:

Y/N,

I hope your day is as lovely as you.

-Credence

Normally you would have gone weak at the knees for this, but you just felt nothing. You just couldn't bring yourself to take a bite. You had no appetite and felt like if you took a bite you wouldn't be able to keep it down.

You sat up in bed, holding your knees against you. Leaning against the wall, drowning in your thoughts you almost didn't notice Credence coming out of the bathroom. He had just showered and was dressed for the day.
"Good morning." He said, not looking at you directly. "Morning." You mumbled.
"Are you going back to work today?" He asked.
You looked up at him, feeling tears come. "I think I'm going to shower." You said, getting up, avoiding his question. Quickly making your way to the bathroom and slammed the door and leaned against it. Closing your eyes, you sighed. What was happening to you?
You stayed in the shower for way longer than you should have. The warm water was soothing on your tense body.

When you got out of the bathroom, you noticed Credence had made your bed and cleaned things up. Your room had gotten pretty messy from the last few days. You sighed and covered your face with your palms.
You dropped your dirty clothes on the floor and unmade the bed, flopping back in.
The rest of the day was spent in your bed like before.

Late that night, you were wide awake. So many things were keeping you up. You were coming to the conclusion that things were going back to the way they were before you had met Credence. You had always struggled with loneliness and those sort of feelings, but you hadn't felt them since you met him. You were realizing that feelings like this are never gone for good and they will always come back. But you were so used to dealing with all of this by yourself. You weren't used to having someone around when you were suffering through the long, lonely days.
You also didn't want to drag Credence into all of this. He had gone through so much already. So much sadness and loneliness himself, he didn't need yours too. So you decided you weren't going to put him in the middle of this. You decided you weren't going to put him through the things he was coming out of now.
The next thing you knew it was hours later and you were hysterically crying. You got out of bed and went to the bathroom so you wouldn't wake Credence with your cries.

Credence woke to the sound of faint whimpers coming from upstairs. He sat up, rubbing his tired eyes. He had just gotten to sleep. He was also having trouble containing his thoughts so he could rest.
He slowly and sleepily made his way up the cold, medal stairs. He saw you weren't you in your bed, and heard that the crying was coming from the bathroom. He walked over to the door and put his ear up to it to hear better.
He moved his hand to touch the door knob, but hesitated. He didn't know what to would do. He took a deep breath and decided to knock. He lifted his fist about to knock when the door swung open. He stepped back, startled. You were also frightened and put your hand on your chest, closing your eyes.
Credence looked up at you and saw your face was red and puffy from your crying. He hated seeing you like this, especially when he didn't know what was wrong. You both stood there looking down, not saying a word.
"Y/N, what's going on?" He asked in a small voice. "I know you're not sick."
You opened your mouth, about to say something, but no words came out. You felt your heart start beating faster and your breathing became heavier. "I'm-I'm okay." You said, pushing past him, running to your bed.
Credence just stood there, helplessly.
"Y/N."
"Credence, just go downstairs, back to sleep" Your voice was a bit harsh and that made Credence flinch. He stood there a second not knowing how to react. Then he went downstairs, but going back to sleep was out of the question. His mind was going a thousand miles an hour. He was convinced it was him, he was the reason for all of this. He was also a little upset with how you had been treating him, but at the end of the day he deserved it– in his mind.

The next morning was just the same. Except you didn't wake up to breakfast beside you and there wasn't a note. Your heart sank a bit. No, you weren't going to eat the food, and no, the note didn't seem to help you. But you felt worse with them not there.

You didn't see Credence till much later in the day. It was practically dark and you were starting to get a little restless. So you decided to make yourself some tea.
You quietly slipped into the kitchen. Credence was sitting at the table, his chin resting in his palm. His head perked up at the sight of you.
Not looking at him, you filled the kettle up with water and placed it on the stove. You just stood there, your back facing him.
He got up from his chair and lightly walked over to where you were. He stood right behind you. You raised your head and your posture stiffened. He touched your upper arms gently. You almost violently, pulled away from his touch. He flinched at this. "Y/N, tell me what's wrong." He said so quietly. "Credence.-" "I just want to understand." He interrupted.
"You wouldn't. I- I can't explain."
"Well, you could try." He took a step forward to touch your hand, but you backed away. "Please." He whispered.
"Credence, please. Just stop." You said in a rough voice, raising your hands in front of you. The kettle suddenly started to whistle. You slipped passed him and poured the steaming water in a mug and hurried up to your room.
When you got upstairs, you put the mug on your side table and frustratedly sat on your bed. Leaning against the wall you pulled your knees up to your chest and rested your forehead on them. Suddenly something felt strange and cold. You slowly raised your head, noticing the tea in your mug was rippling and then the mug started to shake. Your heart fell into your stomach. "Oh, no." You whispered breathily. You looked at the doorway and slowly crept out of bed. You took light steps on your tiptoes, making your way to the top of the steps as the floor shook.
Right at the moment you saw Credence he disappeared into darkness and burst up the stairs, forcing you to back up. The Obscurus stopped right in front of you, your heart pounding out of your chest. Then it moved to the corner of your room. It formed against the walls, calmly churning. You slowly walked forward, trying to remain calm. "Credence." You said, in a thin voice. It started to get angrier and you felt tears start to wet your eyes. "Credence." You were getting desperate now.
The Obscurus burst out knocking you against your bed frame. Your side crushed against the metal and your head flung back against the bars.
You were on the floor, clutching your side that was pounding with pain.

The Obscurus was now floating around the ceiling, seemingly lost and confused of what to do with itself.
You looked up at it, your face was burning with fear as tears streamed down your cheeks. You held your side with a shaking hand. You didn't know what to do. It obviously didn't like it when you talked to him, so you didn't know how to get Credence back.
You just sat there, not moving an inch. Which was hard because your body was wracking from crying.

A few minutes later- which felt like an eternity- the dark matter finally came down from the ceiling. It churned around the middle of the room, then slowly formed into a human. When Credence was completely himself again he fell onto the floor from the weight of everything. He hadn't completely been taken over by the Obscurus since that horrible night.
You looked at him from a few feet away, still scared to move. He was breathing heavy and his body shook from the pressure, fear and a million other reasons.
You both sat there, heads bowed, shaking, and crying for quite some time.

"I-I'm s-so sorry." He said, quietly in a raspy voice. You lifted your gaze to him, but didn't say a word.
"I hurt you." He said, in a devastated voice, noticing you holding your side.
You didn't say anything, you didn't know what to say. Credence burst into tears in front of you. You watched him, your eyes burning with tears at the sight. "Cr-Cre." Your voice was so weak. You were so tired and foggy. He looked up at you through his tears. "You're really hurt." He got closer to you, cautiously. You were a little reluctant, but didn't move much because it would cause you more pain. He touched your arm, his hand was so cold and shaky. You let out a nervous breath. Your chin was shaking from emotions and your breathing was heavy.

Credence gently helped you on the bed, leaning you up against your pillows. "C-Can I?" He asked.
You slowly lifted up your sleep shirt to reveal your side that was already bruising. He softly ran his finger across the pain he had inflicted on you. You flinched and winced in discomfort. "I think my rib is cracked." You told him, trying not to sound like you were blaming him.
He covered his faced with his palms and slouched, sighing.
"I'm so sorry." He said.
You watched him, feeling tears stream down your face.
"You need to go to the hospital." He stood abruptly, wiping away tears.
"I can't."
"Why?" He questioned.
"I just can't." You couldn't look him in the eyes.
He sat back down beside you, giving you a look as if saying 'tell me'.
You took a painful breathe. "We can't afford it."
"That's okay. We can figure something out." He said, sweetly.
"No, Credence. You don't understand." You said. "I- I lost my job." You covered your face, not wanting to look at him.
"What? Why?" He asked.
"They just fired me."
He sat there silently for a while, thinking.
"It's me isn't it? I made you late so many times. It's all my fault." His voice was getting shakier and shakier. He stood up, turning away from you. "No, Credence." You said quietly.
"That's what's been wrong. You're mad at me." He said, devastated.
"No. No, I'm not." You told him.
"I'm sorry." He said, then ran downstairs. "Credence." You said as loudly as you could manage.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 433 26
This is a long story skip to the lemon if you want ya weirdos **slow burner with a lot of lore** A famous pure blooded young witch seems to have caug...
422K 8.8K 39
I, Eliza Evans, was just an ordinary girl until something disastrous happened. We moved and the boy next door corrupted me. Instead of liking ponies...
2M 52.4K 73
"𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝, 𝚜𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝗴𝗼𝗻𝗲." Y/n Whitmoore, daughter of well known purebloods, is entering her sixth year at Hogwarts...
135K 5.3K 61
This is a story of Cassiopeia Black. Age 17. The last daughter of Sirius Black (1877-1952) and Hesper Gamp. *not to be confused with Cassiopeia Blac...