𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥 ━ j. hale [✓]

By gcdcomplex

les monstres aussi tombent amoureux. monsters fall in love too. More

REWRITTEN
epigraph
prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
thirteen
epilogue

twelve

16.6K 395 95
By gcdcomplex

Angel; Chapter Twelve

         "Good thing you're here. We need an umpire," Esme smiles as Jasper and Lauren arrive at the field. Storm clouds gather in the sky as Lauren takes in the makeshift baseball diamond in the clearing.

         "She thinks we cheat," Emmett gives Lauren a big crooked grin as Bella and Edward arrive. Lauren smiles as they walk towards the group and receives an awkward wave in return. Lauren shifts next to Jasper and readjusts her hand in his.

         "I know you cheat. Call 'em as you see 'em, girls," Esme voices carries across the open clearing as they all start to spread out across the baseball diamond. They stop, seeming to be waiting for something. Lauren watches curiously as everyone turns to Alice.

         "It's time." As those words left Alice's mouth, a deep rumble shakes the forest and the Cullens immediately shift into action – Edward and Emmett are suddenly taking their positions in the outfield as Alice waits on the pitcher mound.

         Lauren and Bella watch, staying close to Esme – who is playing the catcher – as Rosalie hits the ball. The sound of the aluminum bat hitting the ball reminds Lauren of the deep thunder she heard before.

         "Now I get why you need the thunder," Lauren says to Esme, who gives a small chuckle in response. They all watch as Edward shoots after the ball into the trees while Rosalie darts around the bases.

         Bella speaks, cutting into the comfortable silence that covered them for the couple seconds as they watch the game. "That has to be a home run."

         "Edward's very fast," Esme comments, and just like that, Edward is out of the forest and whipping the ball towards Esme as Rosalie races towards the home base. Within a millisecond, Esme has caught the ball just as Rosalie's feet touch the base.

         "You're out." Rosalie sneers at Bella who immediately shrinks into her coat and awkwardly avoids her fierce stare. Esme nods to Rosalie, confirming Bella's statement and then turns forward to continue watching the fascinating game in front of them. Carlisle goes, and they watch in amazement as Edward and Emmett both dive for the ball but end up colliding. The sound of boulders falling rumbles deep in Lauren's chest.

         Jasper is next up to bat and Lauren waits with bated breath as he walks up the plate, twisting and twirling the bat around his skilled fingers before turning his head to face Lauren and giving her one of his smug grins. Jasper whacks the ball deep into the forest, but before Edward can chase after it, Alice's voice calls out to him.

         "Stop! I didn't see them," Alice trails off as everybody quiets down and gathers at home plate. "They're traveling so quickly..."

         "You said they left the country," Rosalie cuts her off and Alice quickly replies as the visions play out in her head. "They did, but then they heard us and changed their minds."

         "Put your hair down. Both of you," Before Bella can even reach behind to pull her ponytail down, Edward's hands are already there. Lauren shifts her hair to cover her neck with shaky hands as she listens to the panicked voices.

         "Like that'll help. I could smell them from across the field," Rosalie points out and Lauren's heart jumps, scared of what is going to happen next.

         Edward begins profusely apologizing to Bella as he continuously fixes her hair, trying to mask her human scent. Jasper says nothing, only coming up behind her and reaching his arm around to rest on her shoulders as a wave of calmness washes over her. She doesn't try to fight it, only letting the cool feeling surround her and calm her racing heartbeat.

         There's a rustle in the trees ahead of them and Lauren watches as three people walk out. Lauren first notices that they're barefoot, then she sees the dark crimson eyes and draws closer to Jasper. She watches as the dark – skinned man holds up their baseball.

         "I believe this belongs to you," The man throws the baseball and Carlisle catches it with his lighting quick reflexes. Carlisle smiles politely in response before thanking. "Could you use three more players?"

         "Of course," Carlisle replies easily and the three spread out on the field.

         "I'm Lauren. This is Victoria and James," Laurent gestures to the red – headed woman and the blond man behind him. She meets James's curious stare as he studies her and shifts uncomfortably underneath his gaze.

         "Would you like to bat first?" Laurent picks up the bat as the Cullens spread out along the field, with Edward and Bella closest to the Jeep, obviously waiting for a quick getaway. "I'm afraid your hunting activities have cause something of a mess for us."

         "Our apologies. We didn't realize the territory had been claimed."

         "Yes, we maintain a permanent residence," At Carlisle's words, the three crimson – eyed vampires exchange a look of surprise.

         "Really? Well, we won't be a problem anymore," Laurent promises.

         "The humans were tracking us, but we led them East," Victoria smiles and Jasper pitches the ball to Laurent, who slams it, but Alice catches it in the next millisecond. Laurent is obviously pissed, but James smiles at the opportunity of a good challenge.

         James steps up to bat and slams the ball with amazing force as Alice darts to go get the ball. James passes first, passing Edward, but then stops when he passes Bella. He lurches into a crouch and he smiles excitedly.

         "You brought a snack." Edward bares his teeth at James as he steps protectively in front of Bella. James growls back and Esme pulls Lauren into a protective hold as Carlisle steps in front of both of them.

         'The girl is with us," Carlisle says as he tries his best to hide Lauren from James's view. Lauren looks at Jasper from across the field as he stands next to Emmett, arms crossed and pointedly not looking at Lauren.

         "We won't harm her," Laurent says as he tries to defuse the situation. Despite his words, James and Victoria don't move from the crouches next to him and James bares his teeth again.

         "Just try it," Emmett threatens, standing up to his full height and ready for a fight.

         "I think it best if you leave," Carlisle smiles tightly at them and Laurent nods in response.

         "Yes, I can see the game is over," Laurent and Victoria turn to leave, but James is slower to get up and move away from Bella. "James?"

         James's eyes don't leave Edward's until finally, Laurent puts his hand on James's shoulder and they're immediately gone. Lauren breathes a sigh of relief and crumples into Esme's hold. Esme hugs her closer in response as Lauren tries to calm her heart.

         "Get the girls out of here. We'll follow them," Carlisle says and Esme releases Lauren from her hold but shrugs off her jacket and quickly helps Lauren put it on. Jasper is there and is whisking Lauren off to the car before she can say goodbye to them.

         The car ride is silent as Jasper drives quickly to their house. Lauren pulls her knees up to her chest as a million thoughts run through her mind. She turns to look at Jasper and frowns as she sees his knuckles white from gripping the steering wheel.

         "I'm sorry," Lauren's voice is quiet, and Jasper whips his head to face her.

         "You're sorry? You're sorry because that man wants to kill you and your sister?" Jasper asks, and Lauren sinks deeper into the seat, until she hears a chuckle of disbelief. "You have no reason to be sorry. Edward and I are going to make James sorry that he every challenged us. Once I find him, I'm going to tear him apart."

         Lauren doesn't know how to respond to something like that, so she doesn't. Instead, she chooses to stare out the window as the trees pass by and she wishes she could go back to before the game.

         Instead of arriving at the Cullen's house, Jasper pulls into Lauren's house, next to Edward's Jeep. Before Lauren can question Jasper, he's already helping her out of the car and walking her over to Edward's car. Edward opens the door and turns to Lauren, so he can explain.

         "The first place he'll go is your house. He'll track your scent here," Edward explains and Lauren and Bella both become horrified at the thought.

         "What? Charlie is in there. He's in danger because of me. Because of us!" Bella exclaims and Lauren nods, agreeing with Bella's statement and becoming afraid for her father.

         "We have to lead him away from Charlie. Somehow," Edward explains, and Edward and Jasper exchange a look.

         Lauren sighs and nervously shakes her leg as she waits for Bella and Edward to stop arguing over the situation. After a couple of minutes, Bella gives in and Lauren lets out another shaky breath. They walk up to the front door and Bella sighs before starting to yell at Edward before storming into the house, Lauren only a couple steps behind her.

         "Bella? What happened?" Charlie asks, concerned, as he rises out of his chair to check on his daughter.

         "I have to get out of this place. Out of Forks. I'm leaving. Now. And I'm taking Lauren with me," With that, Bella storms upstairs and Lauren watches as her dad's expression crumbles. Her heart breaks at the thought of upsetting her dad and tears spring to her eyes. Lauren waits by the front door as more yelling ensures and then Bella is running downstairs with two bags in her hands, Charlie only moments behind her.

         "Your mother's not even in Phoenix," Charlie tries to reason with Bella as she shoves the bag into Lauren's chest and searches around for her car keys.

         "She'll come home. I'll call her from the road," Bella snaps.

         "You can't drive home now. I'll take you to the airport in the morning." Charlie pleads, and Bella ignores him, stalking into the kitchen, still searching for her keys.

         "I want to drive. I need time to think. I'll pull into a motel in a few hours. I promise," Bella replies and finally finding her keys, quickly walks out of the kitchen.

         "Bells, I know I'm not around much, but I can change that. We can do more things together," Charlie looks so upset that Lauren has to choke back a sob. She brings her hand up to her mouth as more tears stream out of her eyes.

         "Like watch more baseball on the flat screen? Or go to the Coffee Shop? Same people, same steak, same berry cobbler every night? That's you, Dad. Not me," Bella's words hits home as Charlie takes a step back in response.

         "Bella... I just got my girls back," Charlie whispers and Lauren avoids his eyes when he looks to her.

         "And if I don't get out now, I'm going to get stuck here like mom did," Bella says, and Lauren quickly moves out of the house, stopping on the porch to control her tears and turns to find Bella in the same state. Bella and Lauren get into the truck and find Edward already there. Lauren moves to rest her head against the window and replays what just happened through her head, over and over again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 3.6K 19
𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒊𝒔𝒏'𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒚 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒔 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒆𝒍𝒔𝒆. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒔...
396K 11.3K 55
𝑾𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕 𝒔𝒊𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒚 𝒃𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒂𝒔 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈? 𝑨𝒔 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔, 𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒌𝒔, 𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒉𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒆...
430K 7K 27
𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚝 𝚂𝚠𝚊𝚗 𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚠𝚊𝚗 𝚜𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛, 𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚋𝚢 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚕𝚒𝚎 𝚜𝚠𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚁𝚎𝚗𝚎𝚎. 𝙱𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊 �...
86.8K 2.5K 16
(𝐧.) 𝐑𝐞𝐝𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐲 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮; 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐟𝐮𝐥𝐥 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡�...