Picking Up The Pieces

By mayholland2016

PICKING UP THE PIECES. ❝You thought you could break me? honey, you aren't the first.❞ Isabel Stark has lost... More

Prologue
~Atlantis Playlist~
Covers & Art
ACT 1
1. SHIELD Is Alive
2. An Avenger At SHIELD
3. The Dream's Discovery
4. Somebody That I Used To Know
5. Powers Awoken
6. The Necklace
7. Failing And Falling
8. Spider-Boy
9. Ready For A Change
10. The Escape
11. Nightmares Never End
12. A Package From SHIELD
13. Finding Home Sweet Home
14. Making My Way Down-State
15. Welcome To Florida!
16. The Invitation
17. The First Discovered
18. Unexpected Guests
19. From Ship To Ship
20. Meeting The Space Avengers... Sort Of
21. Some New Changes
22. Earthly Teachings
23. Let's Get Down To Business
25. Another Sidetrack
26. Gifts And Offerings
27. More Aliens
28. A Meeting Too Soon
29. One More Lesson
30. Revenge On The Ravagers
31. One Day More
32. Another Day, Another Destiny
33. The Ride Home
34. A Gift Of Treatment
ACT 2
35. A First First Day
36. Good Morning, Midtown Tech
37. Decathlon Ditch
38. The Spillage Of Secrets
39. I Can't Say I Larb You
40. Swim Team?
41. Okay? Okay
42. You Aren't Dead
43. Christmas Maybe
44. Supersuits Need Pockets
45. Sneaking Out For 'Morale'
46. Winners Can't Fall
47. "You're All Alone On This"
48. "No, She's Not"
49. Tears
50. All I Ask
51. If It's My Last Night With You
52. More Than Just A Friend
53. Like Lovers Do
54. Happiness
55. Arachnid Hunting
56. Ready For It
57. Freedom Isn't Free
58. First Days... Again
ACT 3
59. Beginning Of The Fallen
60. The Call
61. Holly, Not Jolly
62. Scared... But Ready
63. A Dealing
64. Tick... Tock...
65. The Sacrifice
66. Friends
67. Memories
68. The Air Elemental
69. Fire and Ice
70. Back Again
71. New Friends
72. Back In The Game
73. Adapt
74. The Truth
75. A Team
76. Alert
77. Now
78. Touchdown
79. Bloodshed
80. Here We Are, Don't Turn Away Now
81. ... We Are The Warriors That Built This Town
82. Aftermath
83. The Cut That Always Bleeds
84. Little Pistol
85. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Epilogue

24. Shot Down By The Buyers

698 29 1
By mayholland2016

   "We thank you, Guardians, for putting your lives on the line," Priestess Ayesha told us as we stood before her. A few of the citizens were giving me weird looks as I dripped water on the ground. "We could not risk the lives of our own Sovereign citizens. Every citizen is born exactly as designed by the community. Impeccable, both physically and mentally. We control the DNA of our progeny, germinating them in birthing pods."

"I guess I prefer to make people the old-fashioned way," Quill spoke up, trying to be humorous. Gamora rolled her eyes. I squinted at him.

"Are you serious right now?" I hissed quietly at him. Ayesha gave a tight-lipped smile.

"Perhaps someday, you could give me a history lesson," she told him, and I wanted to gag. "In the archaic ways of our ancestors." A few of her subjects smiled, as if this was a funny idea. "For academic purposes."

"I would be honored, yes," Quill continued along with her. "In the name or research. I think that could be pretty..." Gamora shared the same disgusted look as me when he looked at the two of us. "...repulsive. I'm not into that kind of casual..."

"Oh please," Gamora finally interrupted, stepping forward. "Your people promised something in exchange for our services. Bring it, and we shall gladly be on our way." Ayesha made a small motion with her index finger, and two of her guards brought a struggling person forward, hidden behind a cloak.

The guards shoved her down on her knees, pulling back to reveal... a female robot? No, she wasn't a robot, and not an android like Vision.... Maybe it was just the way her skin was? I had met a lot of aliens recently, so that wouldn't be surprising. The woman looked at Gamora with pure hatred, which Gamora returned without looking away.

"Family reunion. Yay!" Quill joked, trying to break the tension.

"I understand she is your sister," Ayesha mentioned.

"She's worth no more to me than the bounty due for her on Xandar," Gamora stated bluntly before grabbing the woman's arm. Those two were sisters?

"Our soldiers apprehended her attempting to steal the batteries," Ayesha told us, pulling away from her throne and standing tall. She clasped her hands in front of her. "Do with her as you please." With a hard tug, Gamora pulled her sister away and started to lead her out to the ship. Quill gave a small bow.

"We thank you, High Priestess Ayesha," he thanked before starting to spin on his feet.

"What is your heritage, Mr Quill?" Ayesha inquired as she sat back down. Rocket, Drax, and I looked at him, wondering what his reply would be. Quill gave a small sigh.

"My mother is from Earth," he told her.

"And your father?"

"He ain't from Missouri," Quill answered. "That's all I know."

"I see it within you," Ayesha said bluntly. "AN unorthodox genealogy. A hybrid that seems particularly... reckless." Quill just stared at her, not letting any of his emotions show from her hard words.

"You know, they told me you people were conceited douchebags," Rocket piped up. We all looked at him, a mixture of terror and annoyance. "But that isn't true at all!" Rocket smiled, and with a tilt of his head, gave an obvious wink. I gulped as I looked at the priestess, worrying she wold kill us for his words. One of the guards started to lift his gun. "Oh shit, I'm using my wrong eye again, aren't I?" Slowly, I turned around and scurried out of the hall. "I'm sorry. That was meant to be behind your back."

____________________________________________________________

I sat down in front of the large mirror in what I considered the living room, drying my damp hair with a towel. Quill's music was playing in the ship, and the man stood right next to me as he changed shirts. He tossed his dirty one on the floor and grabbed a cleaner one.

"You know," I told him, "this ship would be a lot cleaner if you actually put that in a dirty clothes bin."

"Too much work," he joked, smelling the long sleeve he had just grabbed. I heard Gamora tighening her sister's bonds in the adjacent room. "That stuff about my father," he started, talking to the two of us. "Who does she think she is?"

"The woman you offered to have sex with," I said, rolling my eyes. Quill gave me a quick glare.

"I know you're sensitive about that," Gamora said softly, and Quill looked up at her in confusion.

"I'm not sensitive about it, I just don't know who he is," Peter said sensitively. "Sorry if it seemed like I was flirting with the High Priestess. I wasn't."

"I don't care if you were," Gamora said nonchalantly as she led her sister through the room and to the loading area.

"Well, I feel like you do care," Peter said back, leaning against the doorframe. "That's why I'm apologizing. So, sorry!"

"Gamora is not the one for you, Quill," Drax spoke up, scaring Quill and I.

"Damn shadow," Quill grumbled.

"There are two types of beings in the universe," Drax explained. "Those who dance, and those who do not." Quill nodded, obviously not wanting to have this conversation. "I first met my beloved at a war rally-"

"Oh, God," Quill sighed.

"-Everyone in the village flailed about, dancing. Except one woman. My Ovette." Drax gave a small smile. "I knew immediately she was the one for me." Quill and I squinted at him, and I set the towel down in what looked like a pile of dirty clothes. "The most melodic song in the world could be playing. She wouldn't even tap her foot. Wouldn't even move a muscle. One might assume she was dead."

"That does sound pretty hot," Quill told Drax, thinking that would get him to shut up.

"It would make my nether regions engorge-"

"I'm not listening to this," I spoke up, lifting my hands in a surrender as I left the room to where Gamora was locking her sister.

"I'm hungry," she told Gamora, looking down at the bowl of fruit. Even her voice had a robotic undertone."Hand me some of that yaro root."

"It's not ripe yet," I told her, calling the sister's attention. Her eyes flickered down at my arm.

"And I hate you," Gamora added on. "Isabel, this is my sister, Nebula."

"You hate me?" Nebula questioned. "You left me there while you stole that stone for yourself. And yet here you stand, a hero. I will be free of these shackles soon enough, and I will kill you. I swear." Well, someone clearly held grudges.

"No," Gamora said with a shake of her head. You're gonna live out the rest of your days in a prison on Xandar... wishing you could." Nebula shook the pole holding her bonds, but neither of us jumped. An alarm started to go off, catching our attention. "Isabel, stay here."

"Sure," I answered, not really paying attention. Gamora climbed back up to the cockpit, leaving me with her murderous sister. "So," I started, not knowing what to say. "I take it you two really hate each other."

"You weren't there when the rest of them were fighting me," she said, not really caring. "Are they holding you captive too?"

"No, not really," I chuckled, trying to calm my heart down. I could hear her thoughts about killing everyone here, and it was making my heart pound. If anything happened, I'd make sure she'd go through me first. "I was captured by a group of space pirates, and I accidentally got on this ship instead of an escape pod."

"And they imprisoned you here?" she hissed, pulling at her bonds for a little before relenting. I ran my metal fingers through my hair.

"Actually, they offered to bring me back home," I clarified. Nebula's mouth opened as if she was about to say more, but the ship jerked sideways. Our feet slid, and we almost fell. I clutched a pole for support.

"Can they even fly?" Nebula gritted, and I ignored her. Quickly, I pulled typed the access code for a video into a nearby touch screen. It opened up to Rocket's anxious face.

"What the hell was that?" I yelled at him.

"We're getting shot at because Rocket stole the batteries, and now we're being chased by the Sovereign!" Quill's voice shouted back at me, currently offscreen. Rocket glared at him.

"I didn't steal; I borrowed with the intent of never returning!" the raccoon corrected. Did that even count as correcting? "Just hang on to something! It's gonna be a bumpy flight!" The video ended, and I squeezed higher on my pole as I felt the ship do a 360. Just when I thought it was over, I felt my stomach flip as either Quill or Rocket flew the craft in different directions to shake off the attackers.

"We are going to die with those idiots at the controls!" Nebula shouted, and I silently agreed with her. Hopefully Rocket and Quill weren't fighting over the controls again. I prayed that Groot was okay. There was a loud thud that shook the cargo area, and I knew we had been hit.

"We're gonna be fine," I said to myself, closing my eyes. "Everything's gonna be fine." Which I actually started believing, until the cargo door ripped free.

And that's when I knew we were screwed.

I couldn't tell what was happening. All I knew was that I was screaming, holding on to the pole with both hands as my feet left the ground.Everything was spinning. I could feel myself freezing to death, and soon my two hands on the pole became one metal one. Loose pieces of metal were flying off and scratching my face. I heard a soft noise, and Nebula and I crashed on the floor.

"Idiots!" Nebula screamed up at them. I wanted to make sure she was still in her restraints, but I was so cold. I didn't want to move. I felt big hands pick up my body, but my body was in too much shock to shake them off. I recognized them from earlier; Drax. He quickly set me down in a corner, my back against the wall, before kicking the yaro root away from Nebula's outstretched hand.

"It's not ripe," he told her as he grabbed a space rig and a harness. Attaching the harness to his belt and the rig on his back, Drax grabbed a gun off the wall. With a few pushes of buttons, he leapt out of the ship. I couldn't see him that well through the forcefield separating us. Nebula just sat on her knees, not moving as she watched.

I had enough strength to cover my eyes as a bright light blinded us. An explosion. A few seconds later, I felt us go through a jump point. We were finally on a planet.

And then the ship started to fall out of the sky.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.5K 606 22
Y/N was used by Hydra for her powers for years. When she senses Hydra's intentions for her shift to something more sinister, she makes her escape, me...
453K 10.9K 23
You are sister of Bucky, taken by HYDRA during the war. You have been tortured and brainwashed and turned into a killer. HYDRA have given you powers...
138K 4.5K 22
(Book 3) Steve and Anna have a surprise of their own, and of course, so does HYDRA. Everything was on the right path for a while for the couple unti...
675K 17.4K 67
BOOK ONE OF THE TONY STARK'S DAUGHTER SERIES (OCxLoki) ~ "I can't remember who I am... who I was! Do you know how that feels!?" I exclaimed with tear...