Drown In You

By LauraUrie

After realising that Ginny is not for him, Harry starts an "enemies with benefits" relationship with Draco Ma... More

Out Of My Element
They Were One
Dive Right In
Lost, But Now I Am Found
Heaven in Hiding
Us Against The World
The Aftermath
Bad Blood and Mistletoes
Wintery Fluff
Weasley Christmas Tales
Ear Gloves
Of Flying Brooms and Roommates
Here Comes A Danger Up In This School
Bedroom Warfare
Play Me Till Your Fingers Bleed
Love Me To The Truth
You Got Everybody Fooled
Do It Like A Muggle
Nargle Eggs
The Pressure Of Walking In Your Shoes
Cascade Of White
Mama Knows Best
Therapeutic Chain Of Events
Farewell, Hogwarts
The European Cup
Promise This
Nothing Can Break Us Apart
The End Of All Things

A Meaning To His Life

244 7 2
By LauraUrie

Six days earlier

The news of George and Angelina's wedding inspired Harry.

The components of the pair were both barely twenty-year-olds, yet they were ready to tie the knot.

So, why shouldn't he do the same with Draco?

True, they had not been together for a long time, but it was proven to him, in many occasions, that they were soulmates.

He had found true love and he wanted to hold on to it as much as he could, therefore, getting married would only reinforce this bond.

He was going to propose at the wedding, as part of his speech. It would have been so romantic, in his opinion.

He knew that in UK, in that year, same-sex marriage was not legal.

However, in the wizarding world, such exception was granted in France - he had hear Fleur talk about it, once.

He only needed a ring. He knew he could find one in Diagon Alley, but he couldn't really leave the school premises without permission. After the war, even students of age were put on a watch.

He knew that the jeweler wasn't fond of delivering items by owl and, in addition to it, money to pay for it was in Gringott's.

He had chosen an emerald embezzled ring for a particular reason; he wanted Draco to be reminded of his eyes every time he took a glance at it.

He didn't intend to reveal his intention to his friends - he wanted it to be a surprise for everyone.

Also, he ran no risks of Draco knowing before it was time.

 So, he thought he would ask a professor to let him leave the school for a day for his mission. 

He would have told Draco that he had to be out to visit the Ministry for some aurors counseling.

But who could he ask that would keep it a secret?  

Professor McGonagall was on leave because of a death of a distant relative, so there was only one person in the whole school that could have accepted; Miss Sivan.

So, shortly before dinner, he found himself knocking on the door of her office.

"Do come in!" the teacher said in her calm tone.

Harry slowly pulled the door open, then he entered the room timidly.

The eccentric teacher was sitting on her chair, grading papers for some first-years.

He had never noticed this before, but her office was filled with pictures of fairies.

She even had a cage full of those flying creatures, who were constantly shining a light.

Obviously, the trail of glitter from the door to the table was a must.

He was growing more and more convinced that the woman right before him was either a fairy lover or a hybrid herself.

"Oh, Potter!" she said as she raised her eyes to see who the guest was. "Congratulations, you restored your legacy in my subject." she smiled broadly.

"This is not what I was meaning to discuss, actually." The boy said, scratching his head. "I need to tell you something very important."

Miss Sivan nodded for him to sit on the chair, all while still scribbling on the essays.

"I'm all ears." she said.

The black haired boy took a deep breath. Talking about this very personal issue with an almost stranger wouldn't be too easy.

"Well, as we both know, on Saturday, my friends George and Angelina are getting married- I mean, of course you know, since you're officiating it- and I'm planning something special for that day" He said, all in one breath.

"You mean, like a surprise for the bride and groom to be?" the woman asked, dipping her quill in the ink.

"A surprise, yes, but not for them... Um, actually, I want to propose to my boyfriend, while I'm at it." he said, playing idly with the glitter on the table, getting it all over his fingers.

At this, the teacher stopped working on the parchment and looked at him.

"Ah, I see. Well, I'd say that it's a bit too soon, maybe? I mean, the scandal only got out in December - although I'm inclined to think that your relationship started a month prior. But then again, who am I to stop this? After all, I married my first husband at eighteen and I had known him for around... two months?" Miss Sivan responded.

She was a modern witch, to put it out there. She had married four times, once it was with a pimp. Rumor had it, she would participate in some of the orgies.

"I know it's not been too long, but I'm in love with him, you know? I feel as close to him as can be, now, and I want to take advantage of this." He replied.

"I saw it when you played Quidditch together that time, when you exchanged a kiss in mid air." Miss Sivan observed. "So, do you need my help with your proposal, dear?"

" I need to get the ring, but it's in Diagon Alley. To go there, I need to be granted permission and, since the headmistress isn't here, I was wondering if you could authorize my absence from school tomorrow. Also, if you confirmed to Draco and my friends that I'm at the ministry for Auror talk, I'd be grateful." he said.

"Oh, of course you can go! Even tomorrow - I value these acts of love! And don't worry, your secret is safe with me." The ex Hufflepuff said, accepting his request. 

And so Harry did, by the evening of the day after he had his ring, safely hidden under the invisibilitycloak in his room.

Present day

Draco stayed silent for a bit, hardly believing what had just happened.

Harry James Potter had just asked the fateful question.

All eyes were on him. Silence was king in the whole of the tent.

It was like when the scandal had gotten out, all over again.

Many attendants had their jaws dropped.

Some of them exchanged awkward looks, fearing the worst.

Luna started jumping around excitedly, tugging on Ginny's dress.

Harry had a hopeful look on his face, waiting for his lover's response.

"He so did!" Hermione said in a loud whisper, still shocked at what Harry had just done.

"Oh Merlin...He's gone nuts. If Draco says no, it's the end of our best friend." Ron expressed, feeling anxious. He grabbed his girlfriend's hand in hope.

The Slytherin was suddenly run over by a spiral of memories.

Almost eight years before, Draco had been denied a friendship with the famous 'boy who lived', only to make friends with people he considered 'unworthy', at the time.

He would always find ways to make Harry miserable, as some sort of a 'vendetta' for refusing him. Harry was everything that he wanted to be.

His taunting grew more by the year, until he realised that these were only his ways to seek attention from a person he actually liked.

As time passed, they two of them found themselves in a relationship together.

And it was the best thing that could have ever happened to them.

Their first kiss had not been romantic; on the contrary it had been something done out of teasing.

But it had been long overdue.

Then, they began their secret escapades in the Room of Requirement, which were meant to stay meaningless.

But they undeniably fell in love, almost at first touch.

It was their building familiarity that did the trick. They became used to each other's bodies and minds, so much to form a connection unlike any.

They had been humiliated in front of the whole school, yet that had not been enough to sever said bond.

They defied expectations when their relationship grew stronger and more mature.

They risked losing everything because of a jealous, untrustworthy, girl who had disguised herself as an obnoxious foreigner.

But they made it through this trial as well.

This was because they were perfect for each other, their complicity was made possible by their differences, which accentuated their similarities, thus making them two halves of a heart.

No one had ever made Draco's heart beat so fast, even just by looking into his eyes.

He had never said I love you to anyone in his life before.

Harry had saved him, not just physically, he had given a meaning to his life.

And he wanted to feel like this for the rest of his life.

The boy stopped to think for a moment. He was young, he would have been nineteen soon, but then again it didn't mean they had to marry straight away.

"Harry, I..." he said, teary eyed, when his boyfriend was beginning to sweat profusely.

The green eyed boy had started feeling nauseous. His boyfriend was crying and he stuttered his words... He was fearing that he would slap him with a sound 'No.'

"I can't look!" said Ginny, burying her face in her girlfriend's shoulder, scared that Harry would get his heart broken.

"In this life, I never knew luck." Draco continued, looking straight into Harry's eyes. "But you are the only luck I will ever need. You saved me. And every day you make me the happiest person in the world... I never want to forget how you make me feel."

"I feel the same." said Harry, as his eyes began to leak hot tears. He was now sure that the answer would have been positive.

He could finally breathe again.

"Therefore," Draco said, smiling through his wet face. "Yes. I will Marry you."

Harry got up and the two lovers shared their first kiss as an engaged couple.

Everyone cheered and applauded loudly, even George and Angelina, who weren't mad that Harry had taken some of the attention away from them.

Hermione and Ron hugged, both of them were crying .

"Aw, this is just so beautiful!" said the girl, wiping her eyes upon pulling away.

"That is just so pure and... I just can't!" Ron said, his tears flowing on his cheeks. "They grow up so fast!"

"Congratulations!" Luna shouted, holding her dress to avoid stomping on it with every leap her feet took.

Ginny took a sigh of relief, then she pulled Luna closer and jumped with her, unable to fight her tears.

When the now fiancés parted, Harry put the ring on Draco's finger and then embraced him in a loving hug, breathing him in. Their happiness skyrocketed through the roof, infecting every guest present.

Molly cheered, too, feeling proud of Harry. She had motherly instincts towards him so she felt as if yet another son would be tying the knot.

"Aren't they a bit too young, mum?" Percy wondered.

"Perce, your father and I got married when we weren't even twenty yet." his mother pointed out.

"Yeah, but they're both males!" Percy observed.

"Oh, it could be symbolic? Or they could marry somewhere where it is permitted? Don't spoil this, son!" Molly reprimanded.

Percy always had to be the party crasher, but he didn't argue. He ended up clapping his hands.

In the heat of the moment, as everyone was fixed on Harry and Draco, no one seemed to notice Luna and Ginny's quick kiss, except for Molly, whose smile dropped as she did. Although, she chose to ignore it.

"Congratulations, Harry! I knew he would say yes!" a thrilled Hermione squealed, launching herself at her friend and squeezing him tightly.

Draco was assaulted by Luna's bone crushing hug. "Now you have to keep the Nargles away from him, till death do you part!" The girl squeaked as Draco giggled.

"I will." he said, kissing her on the cheek.

Ron joined in on Hermione and Harry's hug.

"I love you, brother!" He said to his best friend, smiling through the tears.

Then, the Weasley boy moved on to Draco, just as Luna went to Harry.

He simply shook his hand.

"Treat him right." He said, in a fake stern voice. "Or else."

Draco looked a bit scared, so Ron couldn't keep a straight face. " Come here, you twat!" He said, wrapping his arms around him.

"I will, you know that." the Slytherin simply responded, smiling widely.

Ginny was the last one to congratulate her ex. She hugged him like a sister would, rubbing his back lightly. "Congratulations, you deserve this!"

Harry smiled, tightening his grip around her. "Thank you, Gin."

The girl almost forgot to hug Draco, but she fixed it almost immediately.

"Ah, Draco how could I leave you behind? Congratulations! I couldn't be happier for you! You're both in good hands." she told him, while resting her chin on his shoulder.
"That's for sure. Thank you so much!" Draco responded, squeezing back.
It was weird to think that only months before he'd found her the most annoying person in the world.
He remembered her insufferable giggle as she'd play with Harry's hair. Now, there she was, congratulating him for accepting to marry her ex boyfriend.

Draco and Harry were soon swarmed in a crowd of best wishes and affection.

The Bride and Groom even drank to them.

When it was time for cake and the attention fell back on the newly weds, Molly went to talk to her daughter and Luna.

"So," she began, sitting next to where Ginny was. "Care to fill me in?"

Her daughter gave her a puzzled look. "On what? Harry? I had no idea he would..."

Mrs Weasley gave her half a smile, an eyebrow raised. "Oh, I don't mean that." she said, looking from Ginny to Luna, then back to her daughter.

The two girls were holding hands on the table. They let their hands go as soon as she saw them.

"What, then?" Ginny asked, feeling nervous.

"Are you two a thing?" Molly finally asked, crossing her arms.
"What do you mean, a thing?" The Weasley girl stuttered.
"She means an item, babe!" Luna pointed out, impatient.
"Ill take that as a yes." Said Molly. "Ah-ha, I told your father, but he didn't think this was possible! Once again I was right!"
Both girls were now very confused.
"Wait, so you knew about us?" The red haired girl gave her mother a quizzical look.
The woman nodded. "I noticed a while ago, actually. New Year's eve, to be exact." She confirmed, her lips curled into a smile.
"Did you see our kiss, Mrs Weasley?" Asked the Ravenclaw.
Molly shook her head. "No, but I noticed something in the air was... different. And besides, mama knows best!"
"So... you're ok with it?" The youngest of the Weasley children addressed, feeling hopeful.
"If I'm fine with it, of course, my sweet!" Said Molly, putting a motherly hand on her daughter's. "Don't tell your dad, but before I had him... I had my fair share of experiences with girls."
She winked.
Well, that was certainly unexpected.
Ginny couldn't be happier knowing that her mum was Ok with her being in love with a girl. She had spent months filled with anxiety, in fear that she wouldn't be accepted.
But Molly Weasley was open minded.

-

A few days later, back in Hogwarts, Luna and Hermione threw Harry and Draco an engagement party, which they hosted in the Room of Requirement, inviting students from all houses.

Hagrid had been invited, too, but, given his ongoing beef with Draco, he chose not to attend.

A lot of people came, like Susan Bones and other fellow D.A. members.

No Slytherin came, unsurprisingly.

The room was complete with a table filled with butterbeers and snacks and there was a pouf for each person to sit on.

It brought the newly engaged back to their first date, since the place was decorated with Gryffindor and Slytherin flags, although it was also peppered with banners saying 'Congratulations Harry and Draco'.

There was a buzzing of excited voices reverberating through the room.

Everyone, especially the girls, gathered around Draco to look at his ring.

Ron captured the guests' attention by hitting a bottle of butterbeer with his wand, producing a clink.

"So, since we're here I propose a toast to the happy couple!" He said, when everyone fell silent, raising his drink in the air.

Everyone agreed. Harry and Draco blushed, feeling embarrassed, but they were smiling, nevertheless.

"I'll start!" said an eager Hermione, flinging her hand up above.

It wasn't a coincidence that the partygoers were reminded of her behaviour in class.

"So, I've known these two since we were all midgets and I couldn't stand Draco, it was no secret..." she continued.

"Right back at you." Draco intervened in a playful tone.

The brunette glared at him slightly, but she went on, "But then Harry fell in love with him and I was forced to spend more time with him... Doing so, I was able to see that no one in this world can make my best friend happier than Draco can!" When she finished, she wiped a stray tear from her eye and cheered for the couple.

Both boys gave her a loving look.

"I agree with her!" said Ron. "Harry is my best friend, as well as my brother, and I am happy to 'deliver' him in the hands of this bloke right here. They are one of those couples that you look at thinking 'man, this is true love'! And besides, they are two of the most important people in my life. I love you so much, guys!" He, too, was weeping lightly.

"You are too sweet, Weasley!" Draco exclaimed, flashing him a grin.

Their friendship had not always been an easy ride, but they cared for each other, deeply.

"I love you too, Ronald!" said Harry, sending his best friend a non-magical air kiss.

It was Ginny's turn to speak, now. "So, um... I haven't always been a fan of this couple, but they're definitely soul mates, I found." She said, beaming.

They were both starting to feel like big brothers to her and she couldn't deny how much they loved each other. Almost as much as she and Luna did.

Sometimes, the four of them would joke about being the 'best gays' that Hogwarts had ever seen.

Not that many people were out, though.

"Harry and Draco are my favourite couple." Luna said, shrugging. "...after me and my lady." she corrected herself, as Ginny had given her a death stare.

Even Neville congratulated the pair. "I heard it was a beautiful proposal." he added.

"And at a wedding, how romantic!" Hannah Abbott stated in a dreamy voice.

"It was glorious, really." Hermione explained. "There wasn't a soul in the room that did not shed a tear."

Hannah looked like she had been told a fairytale. She was a hopeless romantic.

In the past few years, she had developed an unquestionable crush on Neville, but she'd never found the courage to come onto him.

This talk about Harry and Draco made her imagine herself and Neville as them.

"We really need to thank you, guys." Said Dean, referring to himself and Seamus. "Yes, because your courage inspired us to be courageous. " he then squeezed Seamus' hand in his.

"We are together." Seamus added.

All the people present in the room gasped, especially Ginny.

What were the odds of her dating only gay guys?

Harry asked himself how he had never noticed, given they shared a room.

They had probably cast muffliato and disillusionment charms when in bed.

But still, he mentally punched himself for having been so blind.

"That's awesome!" he said, "Thank you, it means a lot."
It really flattered him to know that he had given someone the strength to be open about their relationship with another male.
He had always been an icon in his Hogwarts years, but he was never too grateful for it, as people's expectations of him were high.
Now, it was all about bravery and pushing others to never be afraid of their surroundings.

"Thanks for the support." said Draco, smiling.
The good in his heart was expanding, clearly.
He had never thought, in the past, that he would ever be able to help someone in the process of being themselves. Yet, he had just participated in a couple's coming out. A new feeling invaded him, it was the idea of being a good person. And it was all because of the boy sitting next to him, his fiancé.

"We love you all. And now... time to drink!" He shouted.

As he said that, everyone rejoiced and began pouring the warm butterbeer down their throats.

Ron had begun a while before, so this would be his second bottle.

As the momentary euphoria of alcoholic beverages kicked in, all the people in the room joined forces to lift the couple in the air and having them crowd surf.

Harry and Draco couldn't help laughing hysterically at their friends' craziness.

"For they're jolly good fellas!" the tipsy crowd chanted.

They were so into it that no one heard an unwanted person step into the room.

The intruder watched in amusement as screaming young adults celebrated an union in glee.

Oh, the joy of young love. Such a pure feeling.

What was not to cherish in such a cute couple?

The fact that one of them was your son and didn't mention such life-changing event to you, for example.

"Congratulations, Draco." a female voice came out of the person.

Everyone froze as they heard her speak.

"Mother?" said Draco, still lying on various pairs of hands.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 570 13
Drunk, and angry, after the death of Sirius, Harry falls into the hands of a scheming Malfoy. Will a budding romance fix everything wrong within the...
119K 4.3K 20
Harry is broken. Broken by years of war and abuse. Broken by the burden of unwanted fame and the heavy price that came with it, and he's not sure how...
94.5K 2.3K 21
The war was over and a lot had changed , but who would have expected that Draco Malfoy had changed the most. When a letter from Hogwarts arrives tell...
53.3K 2.3K 40
!!!!! ALTERED CHAPTERS !!!!! "Have you any idea what it's like?" There were tears in Harry's eyes and it was suddenly like he couldn't control it a...