Evolution

Por _kellygalea

2023 is overrun with horrific Creatures that stalk the night in search of human flesh. Survival is harsh, dea... Más

Snippet
Chapter One: Coby
Chapter Two: Trap
Chapter Three: Cousins
Chapter Four: Keira
Chapter Five: Plagued
Chapter Six: Untruthful
Chapter Seven: Bait
Chapter Nine: Book
Chapter Ten: Newbies
Chapter Eleven: Cupboard
Chapter Twelve: Denial
Chapter Thirteen: Confrontation
Chapter Fourteen: Splint
Chapter Fifteen: Brothers
Chapter Sixteen: Strategic
Chapter Seventeen: Different
Chapter Eighteen: Sacrifice
Chapter Nineteen: Unwilling
Chapter Twenty: Escape
Chapter Twenty One: Ally
Chapter Twenty Two: Demons
Chapter Twenty Three: Game
Chapter Twenty Four: Amelia
Chapter Twenty Five: Diversion
Chapter Twenty Six: Caught
Chapter Twenty Seven: Talon
Chapter Twenty Eight: Gran
Chapter Twenty Nine: Snake
Chapter Thirty: Ambush
Chapter Thirty One: Nerve
Chapter Thirty Two: Changed
Chapter Thirty Three: Broken
Chapter Thirty Four: Bitten
Chapter Thirty Five: Evolution

Chapter Eight: Spiders

2.1K 126 12
Por _kellygalea

"There they are" Jesse spoke softly, astounded

"How many can we see?" Arden returned to battle mode

"There are four" I answered "As soon as that second one drops, we stand. They'll come running straight for us"

"Why don't you just shoot them all with more arrows?" Jaxon asked

I turned my head to his position behind me "I try not to waste my arrows unnecessarily"

"Since when are you not up for a good old fashioned creature fight Jax?" Ronan menacingly teased his friend

Jaxon shrugged "I didn't say I wasn't"

"He's down" Arden's deep voice interrupted as I turned back to the action. The second creature had successfully pulled my arrow from its chest, a move that would have only urged his demise. Blood leaked from the tar of the shadows, its red gleam glistening as it traced into the sunshine.

"Ready boys?" Ronan cheerfully questioned before he stood keenly, the others quickly following him. The moment I stood, I turned and tossed my bow across the gravel, its wood sliding until it fell in the long grass in front of Austin and his brother Jarod, their faces frozen.

I needed my flexibility and the large bow constricted me. As fast as the creatures had begun towards us, I had pulled my hunting knife from my belt, ready.

The sun had played a thankful part on our side. I could smell the flesh of the creatures burning under the intense light. I could hear the slow hissing of skin melting away. All four creatures croaked out in pain as the boys advanced on them.
Arden had begun on a six foot tall lanky creature, his bare fist plummeting into its jaw as teeth scattered across the road. Jaxon dove straight into a woman creature pulling his twin knife of Coby's from the back of his pants, opting out from the all-too-loud shotgun. Ronan had tackled his small male creature to the ground and began to slice open its chest with his long blade in hand swiping back and forth. It was then as I took in the action around me, I noticed Jesse.

Jesse and his creature – a wide snarling male, where circling each other, tension brewing between the pair as they slowly edged around one other. I kept my gaze on all of the creatures and the boys, aiming to attack at the first struggle I saw.

Zack and Kyle had noticeably joined the fight. Kyle gave Jaxon a helping hand, kicking the knee of his creature out at an unnatural angle. Zach held his gun out in front of himself waiting towards the shadows in fear of more lurking demons. I realized Jesse and his creature to be the only ones in a showdown, it was taking too long and that made me nervous. I moved towards the back of the road where the two had held their hard glances on each other. I tightened my grip on my knife as I trudged forward.

Jesse menacingly held his sword in his right hand, the reflection of it glistening in the bright sun as he waited for the perfect opportunity to pounce.
I lurked closer unnoticed, until the creatures eyes suddenly turned on me, his left arm swinging quicker than I had imagined in my direction. The creature had been fast, but I had reacted faster and ducked narrowingly avoiding his strike. Without waiting, I lunged towards its body with my right hand and weapon. I placed all my weight forward, slamming the cold steel of my knife through its thick skin.
He began to thrash around roughly as I placed both my hands on my knife handle, yanking it free as I stumbled back, merely missing another deadly swipe of its sharpened claws. I contained my wobble in time to see Jesse swing his blade forward, the sheer sound of it passing through air powerful enough to slice open a metal cage. Before the creature had time to react, to move, it had been sliced straight through the middle.
Blood poured from its insides, its neck pulling back to release one last croak before it fell to its knees, defeated. Jesse slowly approached the dying demon, the look in his eyes truly frightening as he placed the tip of his blade under its chin tormentingly.

Seconds later, he took a small swing, the effortless move splashing blood onto the road with cringing force.

As quick as it had begun, it had ended.

I stood up straight, my spine clicking into a more natural position as silence dropped around us like a sudden change in temperature. The air was thin, the silence blissful as Jesse swiped his long blade, creature blood thick and sticky as he shook it off of his fingers.

"Well that went well" Jaxon broke the silence first, a smile appearing on his features as he looked from me to Arden

Arden's steady gaze turned on me. His breathing was rigid, his hands and knuckles painted in creature blood as he mulled over what his first words were going to be.

Slowly, the brothers all awaited Arden's reaction. I guess we were either waiting for him to scold how dangerous my idea had been, or praise how well a job we had done as a well-organized team. Seconds later, the decision was made.

"Props to you, Arrow" Arden spoke, the corner of his lips lifting ever so slightly "Guess you've earnt your place" He nodded as the others all seemed to take a sigh of relief. Austin, Jarod, Coby and the others now stepping out of hiding around us

"That was intense" Keira spoke, her petite approving voice now beside me

"That was sick" Ronan laughed as he and Jaxon high fived each other, a glint of their immature side peeking through their tough façade.

"Let's keep moving" Arden quickly snapped himself back into place as 'leader' "We need to make it somewhere safe within a few hours before the sun sets" He continued as he moved forward, brushing over his skin with a dirty rag attached to his belt.

Without question, we moved forward, Keira and Coby whispering conversation as they gave the dead creatures a quick study up close. Austin and Jarod were also fast to curiously poke at their burning flesh which now began to bubble under the sun's unforgivable heat. I rolled my eyes and walked hastily through the morbid sight - seeing the creatures up as close only brought back unwanted memories.

Hurriedly, the sun decided to fasten its pace on bed-time. We had been walking for about another two hours, sweating our asses off, before we realized just how close it was until the light would be gone entirely. As expected, there were no houses, no barns, and no structural support for hiding in sight. We had passed nothing but empty paddocks full of overgrown crops and grass. It was starting to worry a lot of people as whispers grew more intense, more concerned we'd be abandoned in the wide open fields as free-range chickens served on a platter. There had been no suspicions of any creatures since the attack under treetop shadows, which made it more calm, but come nightfall, anything could happen, we'd be fair game to any sort of passer byers.

"We're going to be trapped, there isn't anything for miles" I could hear Austin speak towards Zack, Kyle and his brother. I was beginning to lose my patience for Austin, he was a trouble maker, and kind of a whinger, there was no place for people like him in the world now.

"If you're afraid, you can always turn back and find the others?" Jaxon impatiently snapped towards Austin who thought he was being discreet with his whining.

"I'm beginning to think maybe I should have trusted ye old Saint Nick back there" Austin snapped back, determined to start a fight as Jaxon rolled his eyes

This time, it was Jesse who grew impatient as he turned his head back slightly "Like Jaxon said, if you want to turn back, then go ahead, if not, then I suggest you shut your trap and keep moving like the rest of us"
His words were rough, menacing, and something about his attitude made me think we'd finally agreed to something at the same time.

Austin rolled his eyes and made a small grunt noise as he continued to move forward, this time walking like a toddler that hadn't gotten the toy he'd just thrown a tantrum for in the supermarket.

I couldn't help but snicker. He was a child trapped in a man's body and I couldn't hold back the amusement I found in his pathetic attitude. I had yet to come across someone of his demeanour.

Unfortunately, my snicker hadn't gone unnoticed and Austin's eyes were soon sharp on me behind him, narrow and frustrated. I could see his brain brewing for rude and uncalled for remarks, and soon enough, that's exactly what I received.

"What the hell are you laughing at?" He spat as the others continued forward, unfazed, obviously used to Austin's usual confrontation.

"You" I shrugged, honest as I stared back at him "Maybe I was wrong about what I first said about your brother, maybe I should have assumed those things about you instead" I slammed him with insult.
The first time I had spoken to Austin, our discussion had been about the idea of his brother Jarod preferring company of the same sex. I knew that hinting that Austin was gay would strike a nerve; it always did with straight men for some reason.

Austin abruptly stopped on his feet, his impatience and frustration boiling over. The minute I stepped past his frozen body, his long arm shot out and took a hold of my upper arm with more force than necessary. We were both brought to a halt, Keira and Coby quickly catching onto the situation as they stopped ahead of us and turned to watch on with nervous eyes.

"What did you say to me bitch?" Austin's low voice now growled into my ear as he edged his face close to the side of my own.

I wasn't afraid of him, much to his dismay.

Jarod stepped beside his brother, sensing the tension as he attempted to persuade him to let go of me.

I simply smiled, half amused at his flattering aggression, waiting.

"You can't help yourself, can you?" Austin continued, determined to cause some kind of altercation with whomever he could as his breathe rushed over my face.

"Apparently, neither can you" I whispered in return, unfazed as I noticed the rest of the crew stop and realize what was now happening at the back of the group.

I could tell instantly Arden was fed up as he clenched his fists together at his sides. "Let her go, come nightfall you'll have bigger issues you can take your anger out on" He roared towards Austin who didn't budge.

I tuned my head towards Austin who clenched his teeth together. I couldn't' help but remain amused, all I wanted to do was laugh, but I knew that the moment I did, things would turn ugly, not for me, but for Austin.

Austin leaned in closer, his nose near touching the side of my face
"You think you're tough, don't you little girl? You take one more sneer at me, and I drop you, I don't care who you think you are" He whispered threateningly, as a sigh could be heard from yet another fed up spectator.

I looked at the ground, attempting to hide my smirk as my lips let out one final phrase
"Try me sweetheart" I smiled, this time my eyes lifting to meet his dangerous gaze.

Jarod continued to urge his brother to let me go, but it made no difference. It was suddenly me and Austin in this tight little space, ready to throw down with guns ablaze.

Silence filled the air as I watched Arden and the others watch me carefully, awaiting someone to take the first strike. But it didn't come, instead, Austin pushed me from his arms reach, his long arm causing me to stumble sideways. I managed to keep myself upright as he sniffled heavily and began to move forward as the others watched on, still unsure.

"Show's over kids" Arden sighed as he then turned, continuing forward as the others followed his lead.

I had never been used to confrontation like this; I had never been involved in any school brawls or drunken bar fights. I was more or less the kind of girl that always flew just under the radar and avoided any kind of altercation.  But with the world the way it now was, well, those kinds of things had to have changed. I was ready for anything, even if it meant fighting someone twice my size, I would be ready.

I rolled my shoulders, somewhat grateful there hadn't been a fight any further. I wasn't particularly in the mood to slice and dice Austin up; there were bigger things to worry about.

"Wow, that was intense" Coby now stood beside me, urging me forward as I remained in place as the others moved on.

"He's a grade-A dick" Keira also joined in as I shook my head mentally from its thoughts and began to walk.

"You two would make a great couple, you're both pretty mean" Coby spoke as my eyes darted towards him, insulted

"Sorry" Coby began, regretting it instantly "But it's kind of true"

I shook my head and sped up, aiming to get away from Coby and Keira. I wasn't in the mood to talk to them, I wasn't in the mood to listen to them, I wasn't really in the mood for any kind of human interaction at the moment.
Eventually, Coby and Keira telepathically got the message and gave up on trying to create conversation with me. They continued to talk, but their conversation verged away from anything I'd be remotely interested in.

I had remained in my own world, my thoughts attempting to overlap me with memories I couldn't bear to allow entry. As I forced back my brain, Arden's loud voice could be heard from the front of the group.

"There's a service station up ahead, we will stop off there and make camp for the night" He instructed as a few sighs could be heard from mostly the women of the group.

"Aw look Austin" Jaxon began sarcastically "Don't you just hate it when you're proven wrong"

Austin scoffed, uninterested as the others waited for him to fire back. But he didn't.

I was somewhat relieved we'd found a place to crash for the night. It was becoming aware that the sun would be entirely gone in about an hour or so, so the fact we'd come across a gas station at such a time, made for good chances, made for good spirits among the group. Tension would hopefully lessen.

-

The gas station looked just as run down as any other store I'd ever come across. It had been ransacked, but more likely from frantic humans rather than creatures. The insides were torn apart, food containers and tins scattered across the tiles, chairs, benches, walls splattered with dirt grime and dust.
The group carefully walked through the wide short seven aisles, talking amongst themselves as they searched for anything attainable while Arden and his army of brothers stood at the front of the gas station, their faces serious as they spoke.

I stood in a far corner of the store, beside the large front window coated in dirt and yellow paint that once stated 7eleven. A magazine rack stood tall in front of me sporting torn, outdated books of stylish celebrities and their secrets on how to age beautifully. I lifted my fingers and pushed the metal, the spiral rack turning slowly as it creaked on its legs eerily. I glanced over the various titles dating back to 2020 when spiders began to react as their home began to shift. I pulled back my fingers and watched as the small insects frantically darted over the front covers to find a safe place to hide amongst the webs trailing from the bottom of the stand to the top.

"Perhaps I've found a weakness" The deep recognizable voice of Jesse spoke from close behind me. I didn't turn to meet his voice; I simply watched the spiders move over the metal in front of me.

"In-style magazine? Oh yes, as you can see by my attire I'm quite the fan" I sarcastically threw

"I meant the spiders" Jesse sighed obviously

"I don't mind the spiders, I actually don't mind anything that skips small chat before trying to kill me" I drastically spoke before I turned to face the man behind me

"Wow, that was dramatic" Jesse retracted as he folded his arms over his chest

I rolled my eyes "Is there something you wanted?"

"Actually, I wanted to ask you something" He began as his soft eyes watched me, setting me on edge for unknown reasons.

"What's that?"

"Back to that creature I killed, why did you intervene?" His eyes narrowed on me curiously as I attempted to look towards anything but his apparent flawless features.

"You were taking too long" I shrugged

"Taking too long?" He repeated

I nodded "It's gotta be quick, hesitation makes you weak"

Jesse seemed to take my answer in for a minute before answering

"You think you aren't weak?"

"I can't afford to be weak" I shot back

"Is that why you pretend you don't care about anyone or anything else in the world anymore?"

"I really don't think this conversation is going anywhere" I told him, avoiding his every chance to 'talk' with me.

"You mean to tell me that you don't care about what happens to him?" Jesse turned his gaze on Coby who stood with Keira, laughing over something they studied from the shelf in front of them.

I stared towards the stray kid; he was a lovely boy, he was an innocent boy, and over time, I'd grown to realize just how much I wanted to protect him. I wanted to make up for not being able to protect Leo.

"I can't" I mumbled as I shook my head, avoiding Jesse's eyes on me

"You can't, or you won't?" He gently continued to push "Weakness is when you give up on caring for others, not the opposite way around"

His words caused me to turn towards him, his eyes heavily set on mine. I couldn't avoid his gaze any longer, and suddenly we were locked in on stare as I attempted to form some coherent response. But I couldn't.

"I've done what you're doing, trust me it gets you nowhere" He whispered carefully before he tore his eyes away, his body moving back towards the boys now leaned against the counter tops.

One hour later, the sun had gracefully taken its exit from our presence. Darkness overtook and the others worry made the atmosphere tense. I knew there would be no attacks tonight, there was no coldness in the air, and there was no suburbia for miles. The small little gas station we had set up camp inside would be the last place creatures would be looking for humans. I sat on top of a bench towards the back of the store, my back leaned against the side of an old slushy machine, cold and steel hard against my spine. Styrofoam cups once-white scattered on the floor beside me. I sat staring at the cups, the memory of myself travelling through small towns with my few friends, picking up popping candy just to spice our rainbow coloured slushies up as we drove through Drover towards our new College.

"Am I interrupting something?" A voice calmly spoke beside me, my dazed expression and caught up mind returning to reality.

My head turned towards the voice, a broad wide man standing beside the counter I sat upon.

"No, no, just... lost in space" I told Mason who simply nodded with a small smile

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

10.1K 965 41
Rose was a college student, but not an ordinary one. But she was chosen by a frat to be a virgin sacrifice to the nearby demon. Jeremy hadn't receive...
777 110 27
With her father's wish to gain revenge over the world, Venatte goes down and toys with people as a way to use them for her liking and for them to des...
56 0 59
A deadly disease. The world has ended. Civilization has collapsed. Cities stay silent, barely a remnant of times past, humanity's broken legacy. In t...