A Trade Of Hearts |✔

By thedarkempress2123

Hate at first sight, revenge at next and then comes total chaos! ∆∆∆ "The ones you love the most have the pow... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHAPTER 1: Grumpy Beginnings
CHAPTER 2: Bad Impressions
CHAPTER 3: Guest Of Honour
CHAPTER 4: Troubled Waters
CHAPTER 5: The Price To Pay
CHAPTER 6: Unapologetic
CHAPTER 7: Hot Wheels
CHAPTER 8: Playing Foul
CHAPTER 9: New Direction
CHAPTER 10: Shopaholic
CHAPTER 11: Party Pooper
CHAPTER 12: Hangover Diaries
CHAPTER 13: Competitive Spirits
CHAPTER 14: Speak To The Devil
CHAPTER 15: Familiar Faces
CHAPTER 16: Planning In Progress...
CHAPTER 17: An Almost Date
CHAPTER 18: Wrong Place, Wrong Time
CHAPTER 19: Burning The Midnight Oil
CHAPTER 20: The Day Before D-Day
CHAPTER 21:Too Good To Be True?
CHAPTER 22: Crying Over Spilt Wine
CHAPTER 23: Salvaging The Remains
CHAPTER 24: Imperfectly Perfect Ohana
CHAPTER 25: A Silver Lining
CHAPTER 26: Every Snowflake Is Unique
CHAPTER 27: An Onslaught Of Icy Spheres
CHAPTER 28: Tell Me Everything
CHAPTER 29: Keep Me A Secret
CHAPTER 30: I Mean Business!
CHAPTER 31: Win
CHAPTER 32: Kitty Cats
CHAPTER 33: Thief With An Audi?
CHAPTER 34: Changing Dynamics
CHAPTER 35: I Don't Belong
CHAPTER 36: Stranger On The Aisle Seat
CHAPTER 37: Murphy's Law
CHAPTER 38: Dreaming In The Dark
CHAPTER 39: Green-Eyed Devil
CHAPTER 40: Destiny's Call
CHAPTER 41: Spiked Mistakes
CHAPTER 42: Word Of Mouth
CHAPTER 43: Rain On My Parade
CHAPTER 44: A Dance To Remember
CHAPTER 46: Old Flames, New Fires
CHAPTER 47: Kissing Is The Easy Part
CHAPTER 48: Misplaced Emotions
CHAPTER 49: Picture Perfect
CHAPTER 50: Satan Santa
CHAPTER 51: The Grinch And The Christmas Elf
CHAPTER 52: Second Chances?
CHAPTER 53: Hope Is Fickle, Death Is Not
CHAPTER 54: Subterfuge
CHAPTER 55: Discount Detectives
CHAPTER 56: Shadows Of Yesterday
CHAPTER 57: Forever Is Not My Cup Of Tea
CHAPTER 58: Liquid Temper
CHAPTER 59: As Silent As A Graveyard
CHAPTER 60: Knight In Shining Armour...Or Not?
CHAPTER 61: Fall Of An Empire
CHAPTER 62: Two Lovers And A Lie
CHAPTER 63: Anonymous Friend
CHAPTER 64: The Ace Up My Sleeve
CHAPTER 65: Crash Course
CHAPTER 66: My Girl
CHAPTER 67: I Promise
|Epilogue-1: Waffles And Cream|
Author's Note
|Epilogue-2: Birthday Surprise|
Author's Note
|Epilogue-3: Do I?|
|Epilogue- 4:Sunset|
Final Author's Note

CHAPTER 45: Lunch From Hell

59.9K 2.7K 743
By thedarkempress2123

ADRIAN

I left with Nate last night. He wasn't my most favourite person but given my present condition with Vanessa, I had to bear with his fraudulent ass.

Vanessa was practical and she kept her priorities straight. She always kept her ambitions first and I was hoping that seeing my growing inclination towards choosing Nate as the next CEO, she might break up with Blake.

Should I not have done that? Why did her dating Blake matter so much to me?

I reached my penthouse around ten in the morning. I sat in front of my laptop and had a quick conference call with all the branch heads, to see if things were going smoothly. Then my secretary called up to ask me for my Christmas gift list.

Oh right, Christmas!

This time I would have to hire someone to decorate the penthouse because back at the mansion we did it together. I told her to get the gifts for all the people saved in my contacts and issue bonuses to the employees. However, I told her not to get anything for my family or Bryan since that was my responsibility.

I kept my phone on the table and went to the kitchen, looking for some breakfast. I opened the fridge, just to see the wine I and Vanessa had been drunk on less than a week ago. How quickly things change, I wondered.

Next, I debated calling mom. It just reminded me of how badly I wanted to see my family but I couldn't go home. I sat down with a bowl of cereal, switching on a drab news channel.

When I was halfway through the meal, my phone began ringing. It was an unusual number.

I cleared my throat and picked it up, saying, "Dad."

"Adrian.", I heard from the other end.

"I reached New York."

"Hmm."

"Alright.", I said.

I heard a struggle for the phone on the other end and then his voice was replaced by a feminine one, "Adrian, we have guests coming over. I and your dad want you to come back, home."

"Mom, he kicked me out.", I complained, fully aware that he could hear me.

"I know that, son but we don't want to spend Christmas without you. Please come home."

"I'll think about it. Who are the guests though?"

"Oh, it's Vanessa's family.", she said.

"So? Haven't I met them enough times already?"

"Oh no! Her sister is coming over too."

"To stay there? Was Vanessa not enough?", I said irritably.

"Of course not. They are here for just a meal and then all of them will return back to their home and Vanessa is by far my most favourite of the Hudsons. Dare you call her a handful."

But she was. Infact, more than just a handful.

"Vanessa is leaving too, then?", I asked impatiently, before I realised how obvious my concern was.

"Yes. Her too. Their house has been renovated now.", my mom said.

"I'll think about coming over."

"We'll see you at lunch. Don't be late.", Dad said authoritatively, ignoring my last sentence.

"Fine. Bye.", I said, before hanging up.

I had to go. It was my last chance to re-enter my house. I took a shower, changed into a brown suit and red tie, combed my hair and left for my mansion.

I opened the terrace door and there she was, Vanessa. She said," Well, Speaking of family meetings...",

I didn't know how she was already aware of my presence, without even looking back.

Cassandra ran towards me and wrapped her arms around me, whispering, "I missed you, big brother."

"I missed you too, little sis.", I laughed heartily. I had missed her so much, I had missed my family so much.

"Where is the food? I am starving, Paula.", Vanessa said. There was something off about her voice. Was it because of my sudden arrival?

"Lunch is ready but go change first. God knows how long you have been in those clothes.", mom complained, pointing to her.

"Fine.", she let out a forced laugh and went downstairs.

I sat down between my sisters and opposite Vanessa's.

"Adrian, this is Mr. Hudson's youngest daughter, Jennifer and her boyfriend, Jacob Ashton.", mom said.

"It is a pleasure to meet you.", I said formally. I bet I had heard Jacob's name before, I just didn't know where.

Jennifer had her mother's features along with her brown eyes and auburn hair. Kate must have been very beautiful when she was younger. Jacob too was a decent looking guy though he did look a little uncomfortable.

There was definately a look of discomfort on the faces of all the Hudson's. Something was definately wrong. Before I could investigate further, Charlotte suddenly got up,"Mom, I'll be back in a minute. I need to check on Kevin."

Mom nodded and Charlotte left. A chatter broke out on the table while the food began to be served. I looked at my watch twice, after finishing my first course. Charlotte should be here by now. It had been more than ten minutes. "Mom, I'll be back in a second.", I said and went downstairs, looking for her.

I went to Kevin's room just to see him sleeping but Charlotte wasn't there. I next knocked at her room. There was no reply still. I sighed and then knocked at Vanessa's door. Probably they were there. I heard the door latch open and then I head popped out.

"Charlotte, what's going on?",I frowned.

"Oh nothing. I was just getting Vanessa a pretty dress to wear.", she said, still not letting go of the door.

"Right now? Seriously?"

"Yeah. Give us a minute, ok."

"Fine.", I said, still standing in front of the door.

Finally, a few minutes later, the door opened. My sister stepped out along with Vanessa who was wearing a red sweater dress. She looked at me briefly before starting to walk away. I held her by her wrist, saying, "You do realise that the no matter how much makeup you have put, anybody can tell that you just cried."

She looked back at me in disbelief, "Really?", then turned to Charlotte," I told you. I'll just pretend that I had to attend an urgent meeting. They'll understand."

"You also told me that you were tired of running away."

Vanessa sighed, "Fine. Let's go."

"Am I missing out on something?", I asked.

"Nope. Just girl talk. Why, you interested?", Charlotte teased me.

"No thanks. Let's go.", I said, though I knew there was more to this than just girl talk.

When we went upstairs there were only three seats vacant, one was my former seat and that of Charlotte and one was next to Jacob. I gave my seat to Vanessa. It was probably better that she sat with Charlotte.

I went to my new seat and it was now that I realised that I was also sitting next to dad. It was best that I put my mind to finding out who Jacob was. I tried to jog my memory again. Jacob, where had I heard that name. There was something amiss, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

I smiled," Adrian.", and then reached out to shake hands with him.

"Jacob."

"So Jacob, what do you do?", I asked.

"I am a travel blogger and I work for The Times New York."

Well, I definitely don't know him professionally, that was for sure.

Soon after the main course arrived. There was steak, two gravies and a non-veg platter. As we began taking food, Cassandra asked, "24.12.13. What's that?", pointing to the black numbers inked on Jennifer's wrist.

"Oh. It was the day I...found love. Transparent and undivided.", she smiled, though it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Do tell us. I love a good love story."

"Vanessa was there. Why don't you ask her?", Jennifer said, stiffening.

Vanessa looked up at her in horror but then forced a smile on her face, turning towards Casey, "Yes. It was beautiful. She found her knight in shining armour saving her from the perils of life. It was a moment to truly die for."

Vanessa drawled out the word die, still smiling as Jacob choked on his steak and the rest of her family began looking at her in shock.

"How come you never told us about this story? Infact I never even knew about Jennifer before today.", Cassandra asked her, oblivious of what was going on. I would have stopped her but I was too curious myself.

"I guess I am a little too self-absorbed.", Vanessa laughed, making it look as realistic as possible.

"You always were.", Jennifer rolled her eyes to which she responded with a glare.

"Geez! It is just a joke. I thought you might go at me with a fork.", Jennifer said.

"Knife actually.", she sneered before she picked up the butter knife saying, "Just a joke.", and laughed it off.

The tension on the table was growing by the minute. I leaned towards dad, asking, "Please tell me that I am not the only one who thinks that something is wrong."

"Something is very wrong. I just hope a fight doesn't break out here."

Hope wasn't exactly very reassuring at the moment.

"Vanessa, are you still single?", Jennifer asked.

"Nope. Infact I have a date tomorrow.", she smiled proudly.

No, you do not!

I brought Nate just to spite her so that she forgot about Blake!

All that for nothing? Was she really that into him that she didn't care?

But they just met!

What the literal hell!

I clenched my fists.

"Really? With whom?",Charlotte asked impatiently.

"There is a guy I met on my flight to Cairo.", she said.

Go ahead and date someone you are are even ashamed to name, what a genius idea!

"Does this guy have a name?", Jennifer asked, "I mean it is okay if you are single. You don't have to make up an imaginary date with an imag..."

"Blake Walters!", Vanessa stated.

Perfect! His name just destroyed my appetite.

"What?", Casey raised her eyebrows.

"I have a date on 22nd with Blake Walters.", she said, biting down on her lip.

We all knew what was to come.

"The CEO of Walters Pacific?", dad asked and she nodded, staring at her plate.

"He is our rival!", Nate barked.

Exactly!

"There is no problem in forming new alliances, is there?", she defended herself.

Jennifer said,"Of course not but you don't need to sleep with people to make them."

Ouch! Even I wouldn't have said that.

Vanessa stated calmly," Atleast I am not like you, you do it for free."

Wow! I did not see that coming.

"Screw you.", Jennifer yelled.

"Your boyfriend already did. Several times.", she said slyly.

I winced.

Never have I ever seen Vanessa use such crude language, she...

Wait!

Oh shit, Jacob.

Vanessa dated a Jacob, didn't she? Was that why she was crying today?

That son of a bitch!

"That is it.", Jennifer yelled again, "You bitch!"

"Jenny, sit down. We'll talk about it once we are home. Please sit down.", Kate pleaded but it fell on deaf ears.

"Who the hell do you think you are?", she said, now standing up.

Vanessa folded her arms and said, very calmly, almost as if she was enjoying this and then said," Your sister. Half-sister."

"And you think that it gives you the right to insult me?"

"You used the sister card to do a lot more stuff than just insult me, now didn't you?", Vanessa spit venom.

"Vanessa, apologise to Jennifer.", William said sternly.

"Please don't tell me you want me to say sorry. Because if she wants an apology, she will have to give me one back , and that to big enough to compensate for everything she has put me through. And that is an apology, Daddy dearest, which doesn't even exist.", Vanessa countered.

"Vanessa, please leave.", Kate said.

"Gladly.", she smiled and turned around during to go.

"Run away, just like you did three years ago, just like you always do.", Jennifer said.

Vanessa turned around and said, her voice full of hate, "I think you are highly mistaken. I always take care of my problems but what can I do when you are the biggest one among them."

"You did try."

"Did I? Because if I had, my plan would be fail proof and you wouldn't be here.", she said and then stormed off, away from her volcanic family.

We finished the rest of the meal in eerie silence and then saw the Hudsons off. There was still no sign of Vanessa. Kate apologised for the drama along with William, over and over again and then they left.

I sat down on the sofa opposite dad, who was massaging his head with his fingers.

"You alright?", I asked.

"Where is Vanessa?"

"How would I know?", I frowned.

"Call her.", He instructed.

"Isn't it good that she is gone?", I said, finding excuses not to call her.

She hated me right now. My calling her would be a good reason for her to want not come back than the other way around.

"She can't go back to her house. William is angry with her and that is never good. She'll need a place to stay."

I rolled my eyes, "And we need to know what just happened."

I asked Charlotte to call her and then left to my office room. I went through my mails and replied to all of them. It was about nine when I started to feel sleepy. The jet lag was definitely kicking in. I decided to get myself a cup of coffee.

As I passed from in front of the indoor pool, I saw a red blur.

I smiled to myself as I walked over to the coffee maker and then I made an expresso and a cappuccino.

There was a lot that she and I needed to talk about.

A/N: Hey guys! Hope you like this chapter.

Love you all.😍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 208 28
OH MY GOD! There's nothing quite like being trapped with the one man you can't stand .. egotistic, pompous, and brutal. He was the epitome of opulen...
6.3M 246K 43
The youngest billionaire in town with the looks of Adonis and everything at his feet desired just one thing more in life. His perfect match. He wishe...
1.6M 49.8K 55
Highest ranking Millionaires No 6 (03-3-19) Deal No 3 (23-3-19) Feisty No 13 (05-6-19) ---------------------------------------------------------- ...
1.1M 32.1K 35
C O M P L E T E D "I love you" i said with tears rolling down my cheeks. "I have never loved you Mia , you were Just a quick Chick to fuck with." He...