Bubble Wrap

By londonlocket

Emery's uptight and strung out on work. Luke's a musician with writer's block. When their apartment building... More

prelude
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineten
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty-four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty-six
chapter twenty-seven
chapter twenty-eight
chapter twenty-nine
chapter thirty
chapter thirty-one
chapter thirty-two
chapter thirty-three
chapter thirty-four
chapter thirty-five
epilogue
+ their story continues...

chapter five

34.3K 1.4K 137
By londonlocket

THE OFFICE IS quiet when we step off the elevator, parting ways as Maggie stops at the front desk and I continue to the editing wing. My office is tucked into the corner, while junior editors are sectioned out with their own bullpen. The art department on the opposite side, sectioned away from the editing team. The two sections separated by a large conference room.

We're a small publishing house, but slowly growing into something bigger. I was thankful to get this job right out of university after completing a summer internship under Clark Edwards, the CEO of Playhouse Publishing. He took a chance on me, and within my first year, I rose in the ranks and landed in my position now. And maybe that's part of the reason I work as hard as I do, because I'm so grateful for what Clark did.

He believes in me and my passion. He sees my potential, and he's allowed it to blossom in a place that I never thought I would be in. And I need him to know that he was right to give me the shot he did. That I'm as good as he thinks I am.

Because I am that good. I live and breathe books, and I continue to grow and improve.

When I step into my office, I shut the door quietly behind me and open the bottom cabinet under the wall of bookcases behind my desk. I slip out of my coat, laying it over the armrest of the chair in my small sitting area before settling in behind my desk. And before I even have time to login to my computer, my thoughts are back to Luke.

I wish I could stop thinking about him, but every time I think I'm free, he creeps up on me again. The hint of a smile on his lips permanently imprinted on my mind.

I don't want Luke to be anything more than what he already is. A neighbor I made a mistake with, but then I realize how abruptly I left this morning. I didn't even say goodbye, and as my thoughts go back and forth between guilt of leaving him to an empty bed and the realization that guilt means feelings, I dig into my bottom drawer and stuff an Oreo in my mouth. Fully committed to eating my feelings rather than face them head on.

I'm in the middle of eating another when there's a knock at my door. "I'm fine, Maggie," I mumble with a mouth full as I lean back in my seat, shutting my eyes to the bright fluorescent lights, hoping that she'll leave me to mope on my own.

"Try again, 4A."

My eyes fly open to find Luke in the doorway, fully dressed and very much here. Regret seeps in as I sit up, turning in my chair as I bring my hand up to cover my mouth and try to swallow as much of the cookie as I can. He already thinks I'm pathetic. I don't need him thinking I don't know how to eat like an adult, too.

"You okay?" he asks.

I hum my response, swallowing as I wipe the crumbles from my face. "I'm fine," I say and turn to look at him, taking in how messy his hair is. Like he couldn't be bothered to run more than his fingers through the short cut. "What are you doing here?"

He holds the manuscript from the night before up.

"You didn't have to bring that all the way here," I say, biting my lip. "I could have gotten it later," I tell him, trying to keep the flutter in my heart at bay. Did he really come all this way just to bring me a manuscript?

"Is that true?" he asks. "You were out of my apartment pretty quick this morning. I figured you were trying to avoid having to face me after we slept together."

I bite my bottom lip and lowering my eyes to the tips of my shoes, trying to conceal the blush burning my skin. "I didn't think you were much of a cuddler."

He lets out a laugh, causing knots to form in my stomach at how easy the sound makes me feel. The sound warming my skin. "You clearly don't know me that well, 4A," he says and my heartbeat quickens as he steps into my office, closing the door behind him. "I can be pretty easily persuaded when it comes to pretty girls."

"You think I'm pretty?" I say, losing my composure as he walks towards me. My thoughts getting cluttered as he sets the manuscript on my desk and rests his hands on the armrests of my chair, boxing me in as he leans towards me.

"Gorgeous."

He's so close I can feel the warmth of his breath on my skin, so close that all I would have to do is lean forward to have his lips back on mine. And I want to.

I want to be kissing Luke again.

And it knocks me back to my common sense as I press my toes into the floor and push back, putting some much needed space between us as oxygen reaches my brain again. The sane part of me knows that it's only the aftertaste that wants this.

"What are you doing?"

His lips curl up into a smile as he ignores my question. "Afraid I bite, 4A?"

I narrow my eyes and he gets the message, stepping around my desk as he approaches the big glass window and takes in the view of the Manhattan cityscape. It's weird seeing him here, and even weirder how warm I feel now that he is, like I'm about to combust.

"You must be a pretty big deal if you have your own office," he says, looking around my cleanly kept office. Much like my apartment, everything has its place and is always organized. A clean environment much easier to get things done in.

"I am," I say with a smile. "I'm the youngest senior editor they've ever had."

He turns to look at me, tucking his hands into the front pocket of his jeans. "It's pretty cute how proud of yourself you are."

"Yeah, yeah," I say, rolling my eyes. "I get it. Emery's a nerd."

"That's not what I said."

"But it's what you were thinking," I say as I get up, moving towards my door. He follows my steps, cupping my cheeks when I reach for the doorknob, and my train of thought leaves me as he forces me to meet his gaze.

"That's not what I said," he repeats himself, my chest tightening as he meets my eyes. "The fact that you 're so successful is incredibly sexy."

"Liar," I whisper quietly, my breath catching as he brushes his thumb over my bottom lip. My success is one thing that's always made me debate how proud I was allowed to be. Charlie never appreciated my independence. He wanted a trophy wife, and I wanted to be anything but.

A smirk creeps onto his face. "I'm not lying."

"I don't believe you."

"Why not?"

I stand a little taller, causing his hand to caress my skin. "You don't exactly give off a trustworthy vibe, Luke."

"Okay, well, how about this?" He hums and takes me by surprise when he steps towards me, pinning me between my door and his body. "I promise I will never lie to you, 4A."

My lips press together as I fight to ignore the tightness in my chest. "And why would you do that exactly?"

He shrugs. "I'm always up for a little challenge."

"The fact that telling the truth is a challenge for you is a little more than concerning," I tell him, leaning my head back as I look up at him. My knees feel weak as he smiles at me, the kind of smile that lights up any room he walks into.

"We'll see about that," he says, stepping back as I step toward him and open the door to my office. "Should I be expecting this warm behavior at home?"

"No, because you live across the hall." I smile and it causes a laugh to fall from his lips, leaving me in a pool of warmth.

"We'll see about that," he says and steps out of my office. "I'll get out of your hair. Let you do all the important things a big deal has to do."

"Let me walk you out," I say, pulling on my sleeves as we walk side by side to the elevator landing. Nerves running through my entire body as I slip my hands down my torso and into my pant pockets, rubbing the fabric gentle to settle the race in my chest.

"I'll see you at home?" Luke asks when we reach the reception.

I nod, my lips parting to say something when the doors open and Charlie steps out. His blue eyes wander the lobby before landing on us, his lips curling up for a brief second and quickly falls when he notices Luke standing next to me. "Charlie, what are you doing here?" I question, my stomach dropping.

"I was hoping we could talk," he says before glaring at Luke. "What's he doing here?"

Luke steps forward, and I know he's about to make things worse when I reach for his arm and pull him back. "Luke, it's fine," I say and when he looks at me, I nod. "I can handle him."

He pauses for a moment before nodding. "Okay," he says, "I'll see you later?"

"Yeah."

"It was good to see you, Maggie," he says, giving her the same charming smile he gives everyone before looking at me again. I expect him to say bye too, but instead he moves his hand to my cheek and leans down to catch my lips in a quick kiss. "Bye baby."

My eyes flutter open to look at him to see him grinning as he steps backwards. The words barely escaping my lips as he heads for the elevator. "Bye."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 209 36
There's a new neighbor in town whose friendly, kind, and sweet to everyone but don't let his charm fool you when one discovers who he really is. This...
85.6K 1.5K 23
Sammy Cayline moves into a new apartment when she meets her neighbors she will take a like in to one and it turns out she is close to the other one t...
5.9K 138 18
Falling in love with my new friends boyfriend was NOT what I asked for!
361 50 20
A set of couples live in this gated neighborhood and know each other pretty well. However, new people will get introduced and lots and lots of issues...