Yuragwyn: Ours

By writingtoglorifyHim

Kaitra has finally managed to escape from the Granziar dungeon, her companions, and her destiny and return to... More

Trailer
---Chapter 1
---Chapter 2
---Chapter 3
---Chapter 5
---Chapter 6
---Chapter 7
---Chapter 8
---Chapter 9
---Chapter 10
---Chapter 11
---Chapter 12
---Chapter 13
---Chapter 14
---Chapter 15
---Chapter 16
---Chapter 17
---Chapter 18
---Chapter 19
---Chapter 20
---Chapter 21
---Chapter 22
---Chapter 23
---Chapter 24
---Chapter 25
---Chapter 26
---Chapter 27
---Chapter 28

---Chapter 4

27 1 0
By writingtoglorifyHim

₰Traugott₰

I wake to a fist banging on our door. The sound jars my headache, but I must get up and protect Briallen and Calanthe. Even as I think it, though, I laugh dryly to myself. I can do nothing but surrender my life first. So much for my promises to protect them.

Both girls rise as well, standing behind me, and I hold my hands at my sides in fists, waiting for the guard to burst through.

"Traugott?" A sickeningly familiar voice chews through the wood. "We bring clothes and breakfast."

"You may enter," I reply slowly.

The door swings inward and reveals a chuckling Cyneric, flanked by three guards carrying the promised supplies. They file in and drop their goods on the table or in our arms. "Well, of course I may. I do not need your permission, Traugott. You're the prisoners, remember? Tell me, how do you find your accommodations?"

I eye him closely. "They will suffice."

Cyneric appears not to hear me and directs his attention to Briallen. "Now, which one are you again? The younger one, right? You are going to answer for attempting to poison the pegasuses. Follow me."

I reach out to restrain her, but she pushes past my arm and follows Cyneric down the long hall, head high, and arms crossed. She never does listen to me.

"I'm worried for her, Traugott," Calanthe whispers. "She will not help herself in the least. What will they do to her?"

"I know not."

∞Kaitra∞

My heart falls to the fern-spotted forest floor. I am in Yuragwyn again.

I must go, must tell Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys about Traugott and Calanthe and Briallen. They deserve to know what has happened to them. Closure, at least, might nurse a few open wounds.

I get clumsily to my feet and tie my dagger to the underside of this overcoat. I refuse to let it out of my sight, for it is my escape from hardships. Once my tale is done, I can use it to get home again. I find my footing and make my way towards the sound of rushing water. The leaves on the trees are full size, broad, and woody-green, and they brush my cheeks as I thread my way, hopefully, in the right direction. Roots stub my toes and twinge my ankles as I rush past them, but I must grit my teeth and continue on. I must get this tale off my conscience so I can rest.

The edge of the Yaywah comes into view between the trunks at its edge. The waters pile by, frothing at the tips like a pack of rabid dogs. I skirt their bite and search for the poles on which to cross. Across the river I can see Cordina. Its wall is battered, its gate is bent, but it still stands. I only hope I am not too late.

Finally, I manage to catch sight of the poles and begin the harrowing cross to the other side. If I fall in the river, I shall surely be swept away to goodness knows where and not be able to get to the city or Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys. Each foot fall slides a bit on the wood before it catches, and I try to set my foot slightly to the right of the pole so the small carry will land me squarely in the middle.

I collapse onto the dry ground on the opposite bank and lie there for a moment while my heart rate drops to normal. I don't want to get up and face them, but I certainly don't want to make the trip back across to the tree. Could they not learn how to build a proper bridge? I must keep going.

As I run through the grass, small glints of what look like rusty metal catch my eye. I pick one such piece up. It looks to be a piece of a shattered sword, but the rust does not crumble in my hands as it should. I lift it to the light and study it closely. In a moment, though, I throw it away from me in horror.

It is not rust but dried blood.

My feet barely touch the ground as I run to the gate. I cannot bear the thought of treading on Granzian— or worse, Yuragwynian— blood. I had known, yes, that a war was happening here while we were away, but it wasn't quite real in that time. Now it is too real.

"Let me in! Let me in!" I cry, shaking the gate. The streets are hollow, empty. My pleas seem to bounce off of unheeding walls. Is anyone still here? "Open up!"

A small woman peers around the corner, "Who are you? A Granziar spy?"

"No, no!" I call after her. She shrinks away, as though I will infect her. "I am Lady Kaitra! I am Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys's daughter!"

I bite my tongue even as the words slip by. They flowed so naturally, as though they were true.

She comes back to the iron scrolling and stares me down. Finally, she reaches for the latch. "Your parents aren't here, but Llyendal is. I suppose you can go and find something decent to wear there."

"They aren't here? Where are they?" I ask, frantic.

She laughs at me, "You pretend to forget so much, Lady Kaitra! They lead our soldiers in battle. I believe they and Honorable Urien are in the southeast somewhere. Word is scarce."

I thank her and walk quickly away, her words burning in my mind. Why does she think I pretend to forget? I never knew this to begin with! Why do they all think I know what goes on around me? The only thing I have learned here is how little I know.

I only hope Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys are safe.

I make my way down the desolate streets to the manor house, Llyendal they call it, and mourn for the bustling town that Cordina was. No one sticks their head out of their house to wave kindly. No tantalizing smells waft through the streets and alleys. Everything is silent. Even in my short time here, I enjoyed the friendly bustle. It was so quaint and inviting. It felt like a place that I could call home.

I let myself in the front door of the manor house and make my way up to the room they gave me while I was here. It is just as I left it, with only a thin layer of dust protecting the stillness. I go to the trunk. The lid sticks a bit as I lift it, and I wince at the whine in the unforgiving hinges. I pull out a day dress with a waistcoat and lay them on the bed. I wish I could go speak to Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys. I need someone to talk to, someone that can do something about this.

I thought pops into my head, and I leave the dress where it lies and descend to the basement closet. I pull three or four nicer dresses and struggle with them until one fits my slight frame. My hair I put in a simple braid. I slip the leather shoes onto my feet and lace the straps.

It doesn't seem safe, though, to leave the manor without some sort of weapon with war upon us. Obviously something is horribly amiss, and I would serve no one's purpose by getting lynched by Granzians still lurking about. I slip into the armory and take a longsword, for a bow would be of little use in a surprise attack. The weight against my side is a small comfort, even if I would be as much danger to myself as to an attacker if I ever tried to use it. I am as ready as I can be.

I make my way through the streets towards the castle. There were no pegasuses in the stable at the manor house, but I had expected them to all be deployed. It is not a far walk to the stone fortress, though, and I need the time to clear my head and organize my thoughts.

I beat the knocker against the stable door only twice before a rather heavyset man opens it and admits me in. I soon figure out where all the people have gone— they are crowded into the stable and probably throughout the rest of the fortress. I squeeze my way past them meticulously, apologizing as I go. The citizens of Cordina let me by graciously, and I nod in thanks.

"What do you need, miss?" A guard asks me.

"I need to speak to Master Hulderic and Madame Rhiannon immediately," I answer.

He laughs quietly, "Miss, the Master and Madame can't speak with everyone at any time. All these people wish to speak with them as well."

"You don't understand! I am Lady Kaitra, Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys's daughter! I must speak with Master and Madame. This is of utmost importance."

His eyebrows rise, "Lady Kaitra is on a journey at the moment."

"That's what I've come to speak with them about. I had to leave Traugott, Calanthe, and Briallen in Granziar in a dungeon. I've come to get them help. Let me speak to them!"

The guard begs my forgiveness, and we thread through the cramped halls together to the royal chambers. As we walk, I think about the measures I used to get here. Not only did I mention Lord Cadfael and Lady Carys, but I also portrayed rescue as my purpose in coming. I know not if I am lying. I'm not even sure what I believe about myself at the moment.

The guard stops before a large oaken door and knocks three sharp times. I hold my breath and wait impatiently for the door to open.

But what am I going to say?

₰Traugott₰

Briallen fails to return for an hour, maybe more. I try to read to pass the time, but between the boring subject matter—the history of Granziar—and the absence of Briallen, my eyes only skim the pages restlessly. Calanthe is even less focused. I know she's anxious to see her sister again, even if they've fought hand and fist this whole time. Surely they will bring her back to us soon.

Hours later, a knock snaps us to attention. Calanthe and I both stand as the door is flung open.

Cyneric grips Briallen by the arm, his face twisted in an evil grin, his eyes alight with anger. Across her face are small welts where rough, inquiring hands have lost their patience. Calanthe rushes towards her, but the guards restrain her and force her back to my side.

"Briallen has been convicted of attempted poisoning. She's moving to a different part of the complex. You two are Yuragwyn's prizes anyway. I don't think anyone could love such a soul as this one."

I bite my lip as Calanthe strains and wails for Briallen's receding figure. Where are they taking her? Will we ever see her again? I cry out in anger at my powerlessness. What have I done? I have completely and miserably failed.

The door latches and it is just Calanthe and me in the small room. We don't say anything to each other. Calanthe's eyes are red and raw from tears, and her breath is still ragged. After staring at the walls listlessly for a long time, we eat our food and return to our literature, the only company we have left.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64 0 8
A princess. A chosen one. A marriage to the cruel king of the enemy kingdom. If this were a fairytale, it could be the premise of a perfect love stor...
MissFortune By Rosiquen

Historical Fiction

3.7K 97 17
"Here's a little reminder, Wife. You are going to perish." Rosamund, the Daughter of the Duke, the Young Lady was fairest of all the nobles. Who kne...
3.1M 70.7K 43
To grow up in a world where female shifters are rare, being one is a big deal- and thats why Cassidy hides that she is one from the rest of the pack...
711 32 123
Alice and her three friends, have finally managed to find enough money to travel to Rome, Italy. Hoping that a break from: men, work and a recent pai...