May I Have a Word?

By johnnedwill

Another volume of Weekend Write-Ins. More

Copyright
Introduction
Contents
The Affairs of Dragons
Camp Goodtimes
Coming Soon!
Stepping Out
Infinite Typewriters
A Patient Hand
Symbols of Authority
Homecoming
A Dish Best Served
Handle With Care
The Fall of the House of Escher
Diebstahl
Run-Out Groove
Revolutionary Values
Too Much of a Good Thing

Changeling

29 11 18
By johnnedwill

I first noticed the lumps as I was brushing my hair one morning. There were two of them, hidden beneath my hair. When I looked at them in the mirror, they were small, red and shiny. I went to the doctor. He ran his fingers through my scalp, prodding the bumps.

"Do they hurt?" the doctor asked me.

I shook my head. "No. Not at all."

The doctor thought for a minute. "I think they're cysts," he said. "Nothing to worry about. Likely benign. But keep an eye on them. Let me know if there are any changes."

A month later, my lumps had grown. Now they stuck up above my hair - not a lot, but enough to make me feel self-conscious. I put on a hat and went to the doctor. He squeezed the lumps.

"Do they hurt?" the doctor asked me.

I shook my head. "No. But they feel strange."

The doctor thought for a minute, then handed me a prescription. "Here," he said. "It's for a cream. Rub it on your bumps twice a day. And keep an eye on them. Let me know if there are any changes."

A month later, the lumps on my head had grown again. They had spread out along my scalp, like twin ridges on my head. I went back to the doctor. He ran his fingers along the lumps, pressing on them.

"Do they hurt?" the doctor asked me.

I shook my head. "No. But they feel like they're about to burst."

The doctor thought for a minute, then picked up a scalpel. "I'm going to make an incision so I can drain these." He fitted a blade to the handle of the scalpel. "Don't worry." He pressed the blade against my scalp, cutting a line into the skin that covered my lumps. I felt its cold sting, and then a sudden feeling of relief as the skin parted. The doctor stepped back, a surprised look on his face.

"What is it?" I asked.

The doctor handed me a mirror. In my reflection I saw a pair of bone-white horns standing proud above my head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
24.9K 326 56
A WOSO Oneshot book Oneshots of favourite Women's footballers Mainly the Lionesses, Arsenal Women's team,Chelsea Women's team, Man City Women's team...
1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
11.5M 298K 23
Alexander Vintalli is one of the most ruthless mafias of America. His name is feared all over America. The way people fear him and the way he has his...