Picking Up The Pieces

By mayholland2016

PICKING UP THE PIECES. ❝You thought you could break me? honey, you aren't the first.❞ Isabel Stark has lost... More

Prologue
~Atlantis Playlist~
Covers & Art
ACT 1
1. SHIELD Is Alive
2. An Avenger At SHIELD
3. The Dream's Discovery
4. Somebody That I Used To Know
5. Powers Awoken
6. The Necklace
7. Failing And Falling
8. Spider-Boy
9. Ready For A Change
10. The Escape
11. Nightmares Never End
12. A Package From SHIELD
13. Finding Home Sweet Home
14. Making My Way Down-State
15. Welcome To Florida!
16. The Invitation
17. The First Discovered
18. Unexpected Guests
19. From Ship To Ship
20. Meeting The Space Avengers... Sort Of
21. Some New Changes
22. Earthly Teachings
24. Shot Down By The Buyers
25. Another Sidetrack
26. Gifts And Offerings
27. More Aliens
28. A Meeting Too Soon
29. One More Lesson
30. Revenge On The Ravagers
31. One Day More
32. Another Day, Another Destiny
33. The Ride Home
34. A Gift Of Treatment
ACT 2
35. A First First Day
36. Good Morning, Midtown Tech
37. Decathlon Ditch
38. The Spillage Of Secrets
39. I Can't Say I Larb You
40. Swim Team?
41. Okay? Okay
42. You Aren't Dead
43. Christmas Maybe
44. Supersuits Need Pockets
45. Sneaking Out For 'Morale'
46. Winners Can't Fall
47. "You're All Alone On This"
48. "No, She's Not"
49. Tears
50. All I Ask
51. If It's My Last Night With You
52. More Than Just A Friend
53. Like Lovers Do
54. Happiness
55. Arachnid Hunting
56. Ready For It
57. Freedom Isn't Free
58. First Days... Again
ACT 3
59. Beginning Of The Fallen
60. The Call
61. Holly, Not Jolly
62. Scared... But Ready
63. A Dealing
64. Tick... Tock...
65. The Sacrifice
66. Friends
67. Memories
68. The Air Elemental
69. Fire and Ice
70. Back Again
71. New Friends
72. Back In The Game
73. Adapt
74. The Truth
75. A Team
76. Alert
77. Now
78. Touchdown
79. Bloodshed
80. Here We Are, Don't Turn Away Now
81. ... We Are The Warriors That Built This Town
82. Aftermath
83. The Cut That Always Bleeds
84. Little Pistol
85. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Epilogue

23. Let's Get Down To Business

728 36 3
By mayholland2016

THE SOVEREIGN: M49 5IOL339P21+H9LNI31

I looked up as I heard a loud crack from the sky, and I began spinning the throwing knife I had in my metal hand. The rest were carefully stowed under my belt, easily retrievable even with my aero-rig. Quill looked down at his tracker. "Showtime, a-holes!" he said with a grin. "It'll be here any minute."

"Which will be its loss," Gamora said bluntly as she charged up her rifle, the noise calling Quill's attention. I saw Groot sitting beside me, pointing the sharp end unknowingly at his face, and I yanked it away.

"Don't touch that," I warned him, and the tiny tree stuck his tongue out at me.

"Is that a rifle?" Quill asked, causing Gamora to roll her eyes. She didn't look at him, focusing on her gun.

"You don't know what a rifle is?" Gamora smirked. Quill wrinkled his eyebrows.

"I thought your thing was a sword."

"You guys have been hired to fight an inter-dimensional beast from eating a bunch of batteries," I sighed from my position on the ground, my hair occasionally blowing in my face. "You really expected her to fight it with a sword?"

"You're fighting with throwing knives!" Quill said defensively. I narrowed my eyes at him and lifted a hand, where an electric water formed. Rocket had found a way to give me small electric charges to keep the water like this. I gave Quill a cocky grin and pulled it back in.

"You were saying?" I told him. He returned his attention to his gun.

"It's just, swords were Gamora's thing and guns were mine," he explained, but it seemed like he was just trying to convince himself. "But I guess we're both doing guns now. I just didn't know that." Another loud crack went through the sky, and I felt the vibrations through my boots.

"Drax," Gamora asked, "why aren't you wearing one of Rocket's aero-rigs?" I looked over at the alien, who was indeed bare chested.

"It hurts," he said in his monotone voice. Gamora blinked in confusion.

"It hurts?"

"I have sensitive nipples," Drax muttered, causing Rocket to let out a loud laugh.

"My nipples hurt!" the raccoon laughed, holding his paws close to his chest and flailing them around. "Oh, goodness me!" This time it was my turn to roll my eyes.

"What about him?" Drax questioned, pointing an accusing finger. "What's he doing?"

"I'm finishing this so we can listen to tunes while we work," Rocket defended, his gun on the ground beside him as he connected wires.

"How is that a priority?" Drax said darkly.

"Blame Quill!" Rocket told him, this time him being the pointer. "He's the one who loves music so much."

"No, I actually agree with Drax on this," Quill spoke up, looking at both Guardians. "That's hardly important right now." Drax pointed again at Quill to prove his point.

"Oh, okay," Rocket relented. "Sure, Quill." Every word he said had about obvious two winks added to it.

"No, seriously," Quill said again. "I side with Drax."

"No, I understand that," Rocket said back, dropping the wires in his hand on the ground. "You're being very serious right now." And again, more obvious winking.

"I can clearly see you winking," Drax said angrily, throwing his hands by his side.

"Damn it," Rocket cursed. "I'm using my left eye?" Before anyone could reply, Groot yelled and pushed over a foraging Orloni (think tiny space dinosaurs), even punching one in the face.

"I am Groot," he said angrily. Well, someone was throwing a temper tantrum.

"They were not looking at you funny!" Rocket and I yelled at him. The sky let out another crack, and the six of us looked up to see a rift open in the sky. A hundred foot monster started to climb out and roared at us. The Abilisk.

"Well, that's intense," Rocket said to himself as it fell. We all got into our positions. "Stark, you know the drill. Groot is your main priority." I didn't have time to retort before Drax hollered and charged the Abilisk with his twin blades.

Rocket, Gamora, and Quill followed closely behind while I watched unwillingly from the sidelines. Groot picked up the two wires Rocket had abandoned and started meshing them together, causing a few sparks before the stereo turned on. The music began playing and Groot's hips started swaying. As much as I loved the baby tree, it had been ages since I had actually fought something.

"Don't do anything stupid, got it?" I ordered him. He didn't respond, causing me to sigh. Not waiting any longer, I charged in after the Guardians.

Sun is shinin' in the sky

There ain't a cloud in sight

It's stopped rainin' everybody's in a play

And don't you know

It's a beautiful new day, hey hey

"Hey, ugly!" I called the Abilisk as I ran toward it, which was currently trying to swallow Quill as the man fired his gun into the alien's mouth. The large alien monstrosity roared at me, and a tentacle came flying toward me. Pushing off the ground hard, I did a front flip over the tentacle and threw a knife in it.

Before I reached the ground, I used a water whip to grab the knife back while ripped off the end of the tentacle in the process. The Abilisk howled, causing me to grin. "God, I love space," I murmured to myself before sliding underneath a new tentacle.

Runnin' down the avenue

See how the sun shines brightly in the city

Using my powers, I froze the entire tentacle and threw another knife at the ice, causing it to shatter off completely. I looked up in horror as a tentacle went flying in Groot's direction, one too large to cut in such a short time.

Mister blue sky please tell us why

You had to hide away for so long (so long)

Where did we go wrong?

"Groot!" I yelled, activating my aero-rig and flying toward the dancing tree. Before the tentacle could smash him, I powered off the rig and went into a dive roll, knocking Groot out of the way. "I told you to stay safe!" I lectured him, even though it was technically my fault to make sure he was out of the way. Shaking my head, I flew back off into the fray, high above the Abilisk as it blew fire at the Guardians. I threw my throwing knives into his eyes, receiving a satisfactory howl of pain.

Hey you with the pretty face

Welcome to the human race

With a loud and sickening splat, I landed on the Abilisk's face and started pulling my throwing knives out before jamming a few back in for good measure, making sure the thing was blinded. When I stood back up, another tentacle was waiting for me, and I went flying off the Abilisk's head and on the ground. I struggled to breathe as all the air had been knocked out of me.

A celebration, mister blue sky's up there waitin'

And today is the day we've waited for

I shrieked as I was nearly squashed with a tentacle, moving out of the way just in time. "I do not love space," I said to myself, quickly changing my mind. "Do not love space!" I was stuck underneath the Abilisk, having to move around quickly as the alien started sliding forward in Groot's direction.

"Groot!" I heard Quill yell at the tree. I looked over during my running and saw him beside the tree, still dancing happily despite the horrific creature being a few yards away from him. "Where's Isa-" Quill never finished his sentence; a tentacle knocked him away and almost off the platform we were fighting on. One tentacle was slamming Drax over and over again into the ground.

Hey there mister blue

We're so pleased to be with you

Look around see what you do

Everybody smiles at you

Finally making my way out from the Abilisk's underside, I fired my aero-rig up again and noticed one of Drax's blades on the ground. Wasting no time, I picked it up and smashed it down on the tentacle holding him with a yell. The chopped off piece squirmed around, causing me to gag.

"Groot, get out of the way!" I heard Gamora yell as she fired on the Abilisk from a safe distance. "You're gonna get hurt!" I flew towards the two of them, and Groot gave Gamora a wave. "Hi," she smiled at him before continuing her work, flying into the sky to get a better shot.

"Sorry about that!" I yelled back at her as I picked Groot off the ground. He jumped out of my arms, and Drax landed right between us, causing the tree to freeze in his tracks. I took that moment to go back into the fight.

Mister blue, you did it right

But soon comes mister night creepin' over

Now his hand is on your shoulder

"Need a hand?" I asked Quill as he flew around avoiding the Abilisk's multicolored flames.

"Is it obvious?" he huffed, trying to get a better shot at the side of it's head. Shaking mine, I summoned up a large ball of burning water and hit the opposite side, causing the Abilisk to turn away. And give Quill the shot he needed. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it," I told him, and the music suddenly stopped. I looked over at the stereo to see Drax laying on top of it, Groot kicking and punching his back. I flew over and landed by the two of them. "You alright?" I asked Drax as he slowly stood up. My aero-rig kept making small sparks, and I pulled it off. Gamora slowly walked back to us, firing her gun.

"The beast's hide is too thick to be pierced from the outside," Drax told us. "Except for Isabel. She must cut through the inside."

"What?" Gamora and I asked him, but as soon as I uttered those words, Drax started laughing manically. He picked me up in his arms and started to run toward the Abilisk.

"Drax, wait a minute!" Gamora yelled at him as I fought against his strength. "Drax!"

"Let me go!" I yelled at him, my nails scrabbling against his skin. Drax let out a war cry, and he pitched me into the air. The Abilisk opened his mouth, and all I could do was scream with fear as it swallowed me whole, almost nicking my skin. I was surrounded by darkness for a few seconds as I went down its throat and landed in a small curve. The Abilisk's yellow goo was all over me, and at the moment there wasn't much air for me to breathe. I wanted to pass out.

Shakily, I grabbed my knives and started stabbing at the glowing yellow skin, goo landing on my face. I tried to keep my mouth shut as I hacked away. It took about a minute, but soon I was able to make a small opening and squeezed out, falling on the ground in a puddle of goo. I looked at Drax in an angry rage, and my eyesight tinted blue.

"Isabel!" Drax cheered. "Gamora killed the mighty beast!"

"Just like I'm about to kill you," I glowered. The Guardians backed away from Drax as he laughed at my expense.

"You look disgust- AHHH!" he yelled as my knife embedded itself in his arm. Using a water whip, I pulled it out, still glaring at him.

"You threw me... into its mouth!" I screamed at him. I wasn't paying attention to what I had been doing with my anger, so it surprised me when a small tidal wave erupted from behind me and knocked Drax to the platform's edge. "How in your right mind did that seem like a good idea?!?"

"Isabel," Quill said quietly from the sidelines. "Calm down." I turned around to face him, and he winced at how scary I looked.

"I will not calm down," I huffed. "Next time, you can get thrown into a monster, got it?" Quill nodded a bit fearfully, and my eyesight began to return to normal. I surrounded myself in a water sphere and used the small currents to clean the Abilisk's goo off of me. When I was done, I sucked the water back in me through the palm of my hand. Unfortunately, I was still dripping wet. "Now, what do we do next?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

407K 18.1K 79
Atlas has been part of HYDRA for as long as he can remember. He has been tortured, experimented and tested on. He is no stranger to pain, it's normal...
3.8K 562 65
NOW PUBLISHED ON AMAZON. Action, Romance, Bad Weather & Broken Crayons! ** Elemental beings struggle over the fate & heart of a 2-souled artist as s...
72.2K 1.4K 55
Peter Parker has a younger sister who has been missing for years She is now thirteen and desperately wants to escape, she is thinking of a plan but...
138K 4.5K 22
(Book 3) Steve and Anna have a surprise of their own, and of course, so does HYDRA. Everything was on the right path for a while for the couple unti...