Remembering You For Eternity

By runexi

[[Book 2 (FINAL book) of "One Lifetime is Never Enough"]] "I would have waited for you forever." The lament... More

!!! Set-Ups and Glossary !!!
2.0 Echelon of Immortality
2.1 Dormant Magnolia (1)
2.2 Dormant Magnolia (2)
2.3 The Unwanted (1)
2.4 The Unwanted (2)
2.5 Ji YuLan - Five (1)
2.7 Departing to Wu Shan Sect
2.8 Love Is Madness
2.9 Reminisce
2.10 The Sword Called Flower
2.11 Learn To Fly
2.12 Forgotten Memories (1)
2.13 Forgotten Memories (2)
2.14 Faces From The Past
2.15 Ao Xiang The Beastmaster
2.16 Doubt and Yearning
2.17 Ominous Journey (1)
2.18 Lei and Bian
2.19 Ominous Journey (2)
2.20 The Guqin and The Sword
2.21 Zuo ZhouLei - Fifteen
2.22 Charmed By You
2.23 Preliminary (1)
2.24 Preliminary (2)
2.25 Zuo Shan'er
2.26 Foreboding
2.27 Knowing You Once More
2.28 Royalties' Feud
2.29 Demons From The Past
2.30 Whisper From Another Lifetime
2.31 Trepidation
2.32 A Flower That Grows On Mud
2.33 Dreamscape Of Heaven
2.34 Return of The Yin Maiden (1)
2.35 Return of The Yin Maiden (2)
2.36 Inheritance of a Mother's Love
2.37 Carrier of Malice
2.38 End of Zuo Shan'er's Want
2.39 Legend (1)
2.40 Legend (2)
2.41 If 'You and I' Were Enough
2.42 The Returned Two
2.43 Qing Lian and Zuo JinLong
2.44 Respite
2.45 Aftermath
2.46 Yun Ying's Legacy
2.47 Dreams of The Pasts (1)
2.48 Dreams of The Pasts (2)
2.49 Threads of Soul
2.50 A White Orchid's Fortune
2.51 The Sky Deity
2.52 No Longer Waiting
THE END
Mini Theatre: Sect Leader Shen Wei
Forgotten Time, Incessant Bond

2.6 Ji YuLan - Five (2)

6.4K 401 23
By runexi

Ping sect's cultivators were named as the different shades of colours; from the palest of white, to the darkest of black, and anything in between.

YuLan became the only flower blooming amongst them.

Initially, Zhu Hong wanted to bestow a new name to YuLan, to mark her being admitted formally as an inner-disciple. After all, even the Empress' daughter had to change hers to fit the sect's tradition of naming. For YuLan, a shade of red, was what the Sage had in mind.

However, YuLan refused vehemently. Although a name was just a name, she had a memory of a lifetime that was tied to the name. It also served as a reminder that link her memory to her most precious person. It was her identity that could never be changed.

Finally, the Sage relented. If it was any other girl, Zhu Hong would not condone the impudence and would prefer to just let go of the talent, never to set foot in Ping sect anymore.

But YuLan was a pure yin maiden that was historically as mythical as a phoenix or qilin. How could Zhu Hong bear to not compromise?

In the end, inside the ancestral room in Ping sect – a three story pagoda storing records and plagues of the ancestors and Sages long passed – YuLan's name was carved onto a white jade plate.

YuLan even asked Zhu Hong to not emit her chosen family name – 'Ji'. When she expressed her wish to have her full name engraved, Zhu Hong's eyes twitched a few times, her facial expression was slightly contorted in ire. YuLan only shrugged inwardly. Only someone who knew their worth could ask for a suitable trade. She knew she meant a lot for the sect, and throwing her weight just to get her name properly engraved was but a small request. 

Finally, her identity plate, bearing the cursive characters of 'Ji YuLan', was hung under Zhu Hong's own. The white jade was stamped with Zhu Hong's personal signature in red, and imbued with a bit of the Sage's own qi.

There were only a few of such jade plaques, one under each Sage, that was infused by the respective Sage's qi. These were the succeeding disciples of Ping sect's Sages. Only the Sages themselves could destroy their succeeding disciple's identity plates, which would normally occur when the student-teacher relationship was broken, or when the succeeding disciple became a Sage herself.

Such as Zhu Hong and her shifu

In case of an untimely Sage's death, the qi that had been infused into a succeeding disciple's identity plate would also vanish.

Currently in Ping Sect, there were five Sages including Zhu Hong. However, there were only four succeeding disciples. This was because Zhu Hong's shifu -- Sage Hong Yan -- who was the oldest Sage in the sect, did not take any more succeeding disciple after Zhu Hong.

Now that Zhu Hong had her own succeeding disciple, Sage Hong Yan withdrew herself from the world for a closed-door meditation, to a secluded cave which was off-limits to anyone else apart from Ping sect's Sages. She would spend years or decades to try to breakthrough to immortality, a feat that had never been achieved or recorded even in their ancestors' ancient scrolls. However, this time, the old Sage thought even if she met death while meditating, she would leave the world without worry. Zhu Hong's new succeeding disciple, a pure yin maiden, would definitely bring honor to Ping sect.

As long as Zhu Hong and Ping sect could provide the necessary means and resources for the girl to grow, she would undoubtedly be one of the most prominent figures in the sect. The sect's future was as safe as can be, secure and bright.

----------

From their group who had gone through the initiation process, a total of ten girls were admitted as inner-disciples. Two of them, including Yulan, became Ping sect's Sages' succeeding disciples. Six would remain by the edge of the lake, along with the outer-disciples, to train more. There would be more chances in the future for them to be inner-disciples as well. The rest had been returned to their respective homes.

YuLan seemed to be the only orphan once again. She could not help but to feel the irony - reborn and awakened in two lifetimes, as orphans.

When YuLan was first brought across the lake, to the island in the middle, she was flabbergasted. She thought the lake and its surroundings was already the most ethereal looking place she had ever seen. She was wrong.

After a short flight across the lake – herself and Xiao Zi once again carried by Zhu Hong and Ju Huang – YuLan could finally see Chun Ping Gu sect.

Buildings and pagodas dotted the towering hills and mountain range; mist flowing like vapor; white cranes occasionally joined the flying cultivators; more rugged but enchanting landscape, wild and mesmerizing.

And she thought she had seen all the wonders in the world in her previous two lifetimes.

----------

Cao Lu was not a difficult girl, once YuLan and Xiao Zi had the chance to interact with her more and had spent a few months at Ping sect.

The qi-refining pill was finally given to Xiao Zi. It was fitting as Xiao Zi was the second person who had stayed the longest in the lake, after YuLan. However, the girl seemed to have done it purely by obstinance, just like Cao Lu had, a few years ago.

Zhu Hong deduced that there was no point for YuLan to consume the pill, as the latter's qi turned out to be as pure as the yin lake itself. The pill was derived from the lake's water, condensed and refined over seven moon cycles by Sage Hu Lan. If YuLan's qi was already the cleanest it could be, giving a pill to her would be just like adding a drop of water to an ocean.

Xiao Zi's physique plummeted as soon as the initiation was finished, her inner-qi in turmoil.

Perhaps it was a sense of camaraderie, or maybe she was also reminded of her own initiation ceremony; Cao Lu begged for her shifuSage Hu Lan – to help Xiao Zi calm her qi, just like the Sage had done to Cao Lu years ago. 

Although Xiao Zi could recover by herself, especially after consuming the qi-refining pill, it would take months of suffering days and nights before she could unleash the pill's potential inside of her. With Hu Lan's expertise in medicine and recovery qi arts, the time of suffering for Xiao Zi would be considerably lessened. Of course, the Sage did not refuse her succeeding disciple's request.

Because Hu Lan was the most skillful Sage of the sect in the art of medicine, she was in charge of general well-being of Ping sect's cultivators. For the next three months, Xiao Zi was hidden in Hu Lan's domain, a building on the lowest peak amongst the hills of Ping sect. 

----------

When Xiao Zi emerged from Hu Lan's domain, one full season had passed. Not that it would be noticeable by the naked eye, as the valley was always shrouded in mist. Ping sect's cultivators were able to tell the change of the season by noticing the air's humidity.

This time, it was already autumn.

The girls who were admitted three months ago had prepared as best as they could to start on their paths of cultivation. One of the most basic things to prepare them was food and drink consumption. Ping sect believed in vegetarianism. They believed animals' meat contain impure energy that would affect their growth in cultivation. Although they still consumed dairy products, these had also been processed and purified tremendously by their own outer-disciples.

The girls had come from different backgrounds and places; quite a number of them hailed from prestigious families, and hence had been exposed to extravagant meals and delicious meat. Although it was not exaggerating to say that the past months tested their perseverance, all of them were eager to be cultivators. Thus, everyone abided by the sect's rule.

Sage Wei Lan (1) was trained by the same shifu as Sage Hu Lan. She was their late shifu's former succeeding disciple. She was currently ninety-two years of age, with features as sharp as a blade.

She had never taken a succeeding disciple. However, she was posthumously trusted in nurturing the new seedlings of Ping sect.

In short, she was like the young girls' preliminary teacher, despite the actual shifus the new talents had.

Along with the second youngest Sage of Ping sect, Sage Xiang Ya (2), they decided to conduct a class of Dantian awareness.

Sage Xiang Ya's new succeeding disciple, Zhen Zhu (3), was in the class as well, along with Yu Lan, Xiao Zi, and other new girls that were admitted to Ping sect three months ago.

"You have spent the past few months tempering your physical bodies. It is time to be aware of the working of your Dantians." Sage Wei Lan sat cross-legged in front of the girls, all attentive to her every word.

"When you are able to open the necessary meridians, specifically your Xian Dantian, this progress will mark you formally stepping foot in cultivation world."

"The Dao (4) is profound. Even at my age, and other older Sages in the continent, we are yet fully able to unravel the mystery of the universe."

"Nevertheless, it is a dream of any cultivator to reach enlightenment, to become one with the Dao."

She nodded slightly towards Xiang Ya, who was already standing behind the girls. Xiang Ya continued the narration,

"Now I want you to start with the most comfortable sitting position. Close your eyes. You may put your hand over your chest, to feel your beating heart if necessary. The consistency of the sound may help you reach the meditative state."

"Feel the air's sound, your blood's flow, disregard any unnecessary thoughts. In time, you will find a sliver of light at the back of your mind. Focus on this light. And if you lose it, try to concentrate to will it to appear again. This is your own Dao."

Soon, the room became silent as the girls' breathing became shallower. Each and every one of them had somewhat learnt how to meditate properly from their shijies, shishus, and shifus.

Sage Wei Lan and Sage Xiang Ya had their eyes closed as well. They had given some knowledge that could only be considered abstract by laymen terms, but it was already the best they could do. Stepping foot into the gate of the cultivation world was hard, and the path afterwards would be harder. Everyone must find their way from the same starting point.

----------

YuLan was perfectly at peace in her meditation when she faintly felt the change of atmosphere in her surroundings.

Ping sect was already a place containing some of the purest qi in the continent, its natural resources abundant and compatible for cultivators' growth.

But at the moment, if YuLan could compare, she could say that Ping sect was a five-star hotel. However, the sudden change of atmosphere seemed to have brought YuLan's consciousness to a ten-star resort, if that was even possible.

She opened her eyes, and to her bewilderment, she found herself in a familiar place.

A muted space of different colours, blending into a kaleidoscope of enthralling wonder. The moon, despite the cool bright white hue, gave her indescribable comfort.

But Jing – Yue – was not there.

As soon as she thought of his lack of presence, she suddenly heard his voice. It was calm and soothing and somehow assisted her meditation to be deeper,

"This voice is just a sliver my consciousness. I am in the Immortal Realm, unable to give you any direct aid. Heavenly Emperor would not be impressed if I meddle further."

"But YuLan, you carry his soul, as well as my blessing. YuLan, this should be effortless for you."

"You could of course imagine the light and try to hold on to it, as the mortal woman has suggested for you to do. But there are many paths to Dao."

"One of them, is exclusively yours. No one else could use it."

"YuLan, focus on your past lifetime. Focus on the strongest of emotion, the most memorable, most precious to you."

"In contrast to feeling and thinking of nothing, focus on the one thing that brought your soul here, that had brought Lei's soul here. That belongs to you only."

"Feel your soul, your attachment. Then you can find his soul inside of you."

Her facial expression showed just the tiniest bit of discomfort as she was reminded of her past life that had so suddenly been cut short. But soon, she focused on Yue's voice that seemed to repeat itself in her mind, burrowing deep into her gradually lightening consciousness.

She focused on that person's smile; his hair; his gentle eyes; his hands as he extended them to hold her; his voice as he whispered her name.

"YuLan. I love you."

Unconsciously, a single drop of tear fell from the corner of her eye, despite the calmness inside her heart. Still, she held on to his image and her memories of him. The warm droplet of her tear seemed to have warmed her blood, not her outer skin. It burrowed deep into her soul.

Her memories grew brighter, more vivid, as if she could just reach out and touch him.

She felt lightness, her heart tender, she could almost feel her blood pulsating as if it had a mind of its own. It was almost like a fever, but she did not want to recover.

Then in her subconsciousness, where everything was bright and her memory of him existed, she saw a silver thin light. It extended from herself, towards another bright light at a distance.

She smiled and walked towards that light, following the silver string.

She reached out her hand.

----------

The booming dull sound in the middle of silence was like someone had kicked everyone off their beds in the morning.

Everyone in the room opened their eyes in surprise, and reflexively looked towards the disruptive sound.

All jaws hung open.

A young girl, wearing white robes and a red-belt, should have been as inconspicuous as her classmates. She would look completely normal in her meditative state, if not for her body that was hovering just a finger's length off the ground, her soft hair swaying gently despite the lack of breeze. Every inch of her exposed skin emanated faint light.

The two Sages also followed their students' reaction: they could only stare with their mouths open as well. As Sages, they could clearly feel the change of qi flow in YuLan, and that the energy inside her body was particularly circulating in her lower abdomen's area.

"This girl! She has just gained awareness of her Xia Dantian!"

"Normally it would take around a year to be aware of at least their basic meridians and subsequently their Xia Dantian. This girl... I know she is a pure yin maiden. But isn't this progress too much?"

In fact, the two Sages and the other young girls were not the only ones dumbfounded. Since a while ago, there had been more spectators standing just outside the class. After finishing their daily meditation and practice, Ju Huang, Cao Lu, and other Martial-Artists and Enlighteneds had decided to watch their new shimeis and shizhis. All eyes were fixated at the young girl that was still seemingly deep in meditation. Everyone could see that she had just reached the most basic enlightenment of the Dao, and opened her Xia Dantian.

Merely a few seconds passed, and the qi flow inside of YuLan gradually calmed, fusing into her bloodstreams. Her body was back on ground.

Then, before everyone could recover, there was a sudden burst of energy from her, and the sudden spike of qi struck everyone' senses once more, this time stronger than before. The energy surged throughout her meridians, and finally pooled and concentrated at her chest area.

The two Sages' eyes twitched.

Enlightenment of Xia Dantian, followed by enlightenment of Zhong Dantian.

If Zhu Hong had not assured the others that there was absolutely nothing suspicious about the orphan girl's background and upbringing, Sage Wei Lan would be more inclined to believe that YuLan was some sort of a demon's incarnation.

As the qi calmed down again, Sage Wei Lan decided to stop the girl's meditation. If YuLan was to continue and magically gain enlightenment of her Shang Dantian – Wei Lan was already half-believing that the young girl might actually do just that – not only would it be too scarily astonishing, the young girl's physique would not be able to contain the ocean of purified qi she had just acquired.

Even now, Wei Lan was confident YuLan would suffer in the unforeseeable future.

Wei Lan and Xiang Ya nodded towards each other and they walked towards YuLan, one in front, one behind. They put their palms on the girl's back and chest and expended their qi to put a stop to the energy still contentedly swimming inside the girl.

Although they tried to intervene as gently as possible, the three qi flows made contact inside of YuLan and started their own battle to dominate. It was a battle of two against one. Finally, the Sages' qi gained the upper hand, subduing YuLan's qi. It was volatile for a while, causing the girl's face to pale. As the energy gradually calmed down and finally came to a complete stop, the Sages let out a sigh of relief and withdrew their palms.

As soon as YuLan opened her eyes, she did not have the time to think on what had just happened. She felt a disgusting feeling rose up from the pit of her stomach, all the way up to her throat.

She retched and finally vomited out whatever was left of her breakfast and the previous day's dinner. Although she definitely did not have the time or will to pay attention to how her current self was, everyone else in the room started to smell some putrid stench coming off her body.

Her pores started to sweat small droplets of murky liquid.

In fact, it was completely normal and everyone present could understand the cause. Therefore, they only cast sympathetic glances towards the clearly suffering girl.

The previous enlightenments had cleansed her blood and physique, drawing out the toxins that had accumulated inside her body since birth. It was definitely a more severe case for YuLan, as she grew up in a decrepit village where clean water could not even be found. One could only imagine the toxins that had made her body home. Merely adjusting her diet to cleaner food and drink for the few months would definitely not be enough to cleanse her.

The stench lingered; Ju Huang had already come to her side, assisting in transferring some qi of her own to support the gradually weakening YuLan, who was still retching her guts out. Xiao Zi fretted by her side, using her own robe to try to clean YuLan's sweating body.

The two Sages could only supervise. The danger had passed. This was precisely why they had to put a stop to YuLan's subsequent Dantian's awakening. Normally, one would temper and prepare their physique first before obtaining Dantian's enlightenment. The purified qi after the Dantian's awakening would still expel some toxins, but at least the cultivator would be strong enough to withstand the torture.

If YuLan was to gain the enlightenment all the way to her Shang Dantian, she might die afterwards because her body could not stand the shock.

A small basin cannot contain an ocean. At that moment, YuLan was not even a small basin, she was just a ladle.

As the last watery bile came out of her mouth, YuLan finally passed out, unable to withstand the feverish heat and the discomfort inside her body. Soon, she was carried away by Sage Hu Lan who had been called over by Cao Lu.

YuLan was to stay at Hu Lan's domain to recuperate.

----------

----------

Notes:

(1) Wei Lan = azure (a shade of blue)

(2) Xiang Ya = ivory (a shade of white)

(3) Zhen Zhu = pearl (a shade of white)

(4) To explain this is just to open a pandora box. But to put it simply, the teaching of Dao is to reach ultimate state of tranquillity and nothingness. In their world, it was basically when someone ascended to the immortal plane.

---Runexi's notes---

Recap:

The four Sages of Ping sect (after Hong Yan withdrew to seclusion), from the oldest to the youngest:

Wei Lan – no succeeding disciple

Hu Lan – Suceeding disciple: Cao Lu

Xiang Ya – Suceeding disciple: Zhen Zhu

Zhu Hong – Suceeding disciple: YuLan

The rest of the inner-disciples (such as Xiao Zi) could still learn from the four Sages, but wouldn't be able to inherit their individual trademark martial-arts/secret teaching, as well as Ping sect's most guarded arts. This was only inherited to succeeding disciples.

As this is a xianxia inspired story, you can imagine the amount of characters (major or passing) introduced. I suggest don't worry too much in remembering them. For important ones, I am bound to repeat them and their identities again and again. it may make the chapters have longer words than necessary, but I don't want dear readers to have to go back to previous chapters to search for their identities.

As for the non-important ones, well, they come and go :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 58K 130
As the only girl born in the four generations of the Mo family - a prestigious and powerful family in Hua Xia - Mo Liu Gui has been adored since the...
8.4K 439 33
Aimlessly, Donna was plodding sluggishly. The clock had hit the 4 am. She was in the search of peace and was wandering on countryside to find serenit...
163 6 12
Two twin sisters drifted apart because of misunderstandings and screaming by there on family no less. Zan Cui the one with a dragon fate was seen as...
65.6K 674 28
Hong Luo was an abused child who died soaking in the rain for days in her first life. Her second life she became known as the well regarded doctor Mo...