The Demon Boy

By SimianCity

THIS IS NOT A ROMANCE. Casper (formerly known as "John Doe" or simply "the boy") didn't ask to come to Glenho... More

Day One - Morning
Day One - Midday
Day One - Afternoon
Day One - Evening
Day Two - Morning
Day Two - Afternoon
Day Two - Evening
Day Two - Night
Day Three - Morning
Day Three - Midday
Day Three - Afternoon
Day Three - Evening
Day Four - Midnight
Day Four - Morning
Day Four - Midday
Day Four - Afternoon
Day Four - Evening
Day Five - Morning
Day Five - Midday
Day Five - Afternoon
Day Five - Evening
Day Six - Morning
Day Six - Midday
Day Six - Afternoon
Day Six - Evening
Day Seven - Midnight
Day Seven - Midday
Day Seven - Afternoon and Evening
Day Eight - Morning and Midday
Day Eight - Afternoon
Day Eight - Evening and Night
Day Nine - Morning
Day Nine - Midday
Day Nine - Afternoon to Night
Day Ten - Morning
Day Ten - Midday to Night
Day Eleven - Morning to Midday
Day Eleven - Afternoon
Day Eleven - Evening to Night
Day Twelve
Day Fourteen
Day Sixteen - Morning
Day Sixteen - Afternoon
Days Seventeen Through Twenty-One
Day Twenty Two - Afternoon and Evening
Day Twenty-Three - Morning and Midday
Day Twenty-Three - Afternoon and Evening
Day Twenty-Four - Morning
Day Twenty-Four - Midday and Afternoon
Day Twenty-Four - Evening
Day Twenty-Five
Day Twenty-Six
Days Twenty-Seven to Twenty-Nine
Day Thirty
Day Thirty-One

Day One - Night

18 0 0
By SimianCity

     The smell that rolls out hits the pair, boy and toff both, with a force that surpasses the scent of the pub's stew in all the wrong ways. It's reek of stale sweat, mildew, and old booze. The boy tries not to breathe, tries not to retch. He's gonna be sick. He bites the feeling back and bites his tongue for good measure.

     If a whiff is enough to make him retch, he doesn't dare look at what's hunched in the doorway. Just a peep will kill him dead of fright, so he bores holes in the shreds of what was once a doormat that are lying at his feet, pretending there is nothing more fascinating than this in the whole, wide world.

     Who's he kidding? He's so jumpy he almost leaps over the manor and onto the roof when the thing at the door speaks.

     He didn't think it could speak.

     "What... What the 'ell do you want?" The voice slurs on a breath that's been marinating for days in sour ale.

     It's not a pleasant experience for the ears, or the nose, but it's no different from listening to your average drunkard. This fact surprises the boy enough to make him forget he wasn't supposed to look at the awful thing in the doorway. More shocking still is that 'the awful thing' isn't so awful after all. No more so than any other mean drunk he's seen, and he's seen plenty.

     As the toff goes off on his tangent about 'CODY this', 'suitable lodgings that', and 'nurturing environment whatevers', the boy remains quite fixated on this man. Yes, this man, whom he's never met and has been terribly mistaken about in all assumptions made so far. The boy is not sure what to think of him.

     This man is a drunk, yes. He smells bad, however most drunks do. Yet, most importantly, he is a man.

     The boy blinks at the thought, not understanding it. He was not expecting this... his uncle to be a man. Or such a common sort of man. He blinks again. The gears in his addled head finish spinning, the recent fact finally registering with a resounding, internal 'PING' as the world resumes turning.

     His uncle is a man. Moreover, he is not a particularly remarkable man. The thought is as disappointing and underwhelming as it is mildly disturbing. More disturbing still is that said man is currently giving him, actually both of them on the doorstep, a glassy stink eye.

     The boy flinches a beat before his uncle slurs "Piss off!" at them and slams the door on their toes, literally in the toff's case. Who else would be stupid enough to stick their foot in a doorway with a heavy oak door rapidly bearing down on them?

     "Did I mention the generous monthly stipend?" The toff hisses loudly through his teeth, hoping the mention of it would entreat some mercy on his poor foot.

     "I dun care wha'ever stipen' yer sellin'."

     "Money! Free money! Every month!"

     The press of the door eases immediately. The toff snatches his battered shoe from peril. He hisses again at the movement, but hides his grimace. Seeing the uncle eyeing him warily, with more interest, from around the crack in the doorway, the toff rapidly presses on. "You'll get money, lots of money, free in what's called a 'stipend' at the end of every month. It's a charity thing. No strings attached. All you need to do is take care of the boy." He nudges said boy forward, however dead set the boy may be against being nudged, forward or otherwise. Especially not forward. Not while his uncle is eyeing him like a... a... a peddy-phil.

     The boy does not actually know what a 'peddy-phil' is, thanks to the sisters' talent at diverting attention away from taboo topics. He only knows it's some very awful thing he should keep very clear of. He decides is uncle is very much like a peddy-phil. He should stay far, far away. Too bad the toff thinks differently. Even his uncle is warming up to having him around, going so far as to invite them (the toff really, the boy's just an extension) inside to further discuss that 'stipen''.

     The boy, the only sensible one around here, takes not one step forward. The toff lags behind to convince him with rushed whispers. The uncle doesn't notice. He's too busy prompting someone inside to prepare for guests and to do it quick like.

     "Listen to me John." The toff talks over the boy's protests. "Listen to me!" The boy pauses, out of breath. The toff assumes he's allowed to continue and chooses not to look beyond that. "I have a plan." The boy doesn't care, but the toff goes on. "He won't hurt you. He won't touch you; I promise. I'll make him promise. As soon as I can, I will come back for you. You won't stay here a day longer than necessary."

     "But I can't, I can't." The boy's terrified his small voice will fail him if he says more.

     "You can, and you will. You're a tough boy, John. You- you're smart and- and clever and you can do this."

     They're kind words, the kindest the boy's heard in a long time. They're words he wants to believe. So, he nods, he foolishly places his faith in a man he has no confidence in whatsoever. "Okay." He barely breaths the word.

     "Good boy, John."

     The name is all wrong, but it doesn't matter. The praise gives him courage he doesn't have. "I can do this," he parrots.

     "Yes, yes you can... Ah. Here." The toff pulls a piece of paper the size of a playing card from his breast pocket. "If you've any trouble, send a telegram to his address here," he points as he hands over the card, "and help will be on its way."

     The boy frowns at the card. "But I can't-"

     "Oy! Where'd you lot go?" A voice echoes from inside.

     "Later." The toff leads the boy inside. The card gets stuffed in the boy's pocket and any further disputes are conveniently forgotten.

     The first thing the boy sees upon entry are not the shriveled stems of long dead house plants, nor is it the multitude of cracks running through the yellowing wall plaster. None of these things stick out due to the overwhelming presence of the foreigner standing to the side of the doorway, dully inquiring if he may hang their coats.

     The boy's seen foreigners before. He saw loads of them crowding the walkways and piers the day he visited the waterfront, tempted by tales of ships filled with faraway riches. He didn't stay more than one day. Pickings were risky and slim, plus the ships weren't interested in enlisting boys so young, so small as him. That was years ago. He's grown since, but never did see many foreigners after, especially after he was thrown to the homes. So yes, he's seen a foreigner before, but it's been awhile. He hasn't ever been so close to one though. He's near enough to touch if he wanted. Which he doesn't.

     The tall, dark man dressed in a butler's livery intimidates the boy. Half of it is his colour and size, half is his uniform, the last half is his voice rumbling deep as thunder. In short, he's another unknown element.

     In this great house filled with dark corners the wax weeping sconces fail to touch, everything is unknown. Therefore, the boy is scared of everything. He's led further through long halls, the foreigner guiding in front, the toff limping behind. The ceilings are high and the corridors wide, but somehow the foreigner makes the innards of the house look tiny in comparison. It's claustrophobic. He's trapped in a tiny big place with nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Keep walking forward, deeper and farther inside closed walls.

     The boy now knows what it's like to be swallowed whole and alive.

     It's warmer inside than it was out.

     The boy is shivering again. Nobody comments on it. Either nobody notices or nobody cares.

     Round a corner they go and around again until they arrive at a large seating room. It's as dim as the halls. The large curtains eclipse all light from outside. Elaborate candelabras dance shadows across every surface. Portraits stare at them. Dusty furniture crowd them in. The stuffed bear lurks in the corner. The uncle leers at them from the sofa.

     It's a scene out of a penny dreadful. You just know something bad will happen.

     "Now," the uncle barks, "le's talk 'bout tha' stipen'."

     The boy can feel the toff stiffen at his side, likely rankled at not being offered a seat. "Very well."

     The boy expects a terse, though polite smile to be splayed across the toff's face. To his horror, he sees no features at all. The light's too feeble, the shadows too strong.

     "But first, I must insist that John here is shown to bed," says the toff. He gives the boy what was supposed to be an affectionate pat.

     The boy would scream if he could lever open his mouth. An inaudible whimper comes from between his clenched teeth.

     There's a flutter of movement in the room. It's the uncle's hand waving. It's the boy's dismissal. "Yeah. Sure. Wha'ever."

     He can't make out what's said afterwards. The throbbing in his chest is too loud. It drowns out all sound. He knows he's supposed to follow the foreigner purely due to the toff's insistent nudge. So off he goes, again swallowed through dim corridors, again following a dark stranger.

     The thudding is getting louder. Is the sound really coming from his chest or is it coming from the walls? The boy can't tell. It could be either.

     They go back down and around turns and bends and stop in a corridor lined with plain doors. The foreigner motions to the doors on the left. He says something. The boy listens without hearing a word. He shudders at the foreigner's voice vibrating along his ribs. The vibrations stop. He takes it as his cue to nod furiously and look submissive. He finds himself staring hard at his feet anew. By the time he risks lifting his head, the foreigner is gone. This leaves him alone with many doors to choose from.

     He turns the knob nearest him. Before him is a vast room with a stone floor and a long counter lining the far wall. He hasn't the foggiest idea where this is until he spies the oven and stoves. This isn't a bedroom. This is the kitchen, a fine place to visit, though not a good place to spend the night. There's too much draft blowing down the stove pipes and too many mice.

     The boy wrinkles his nose at that particular recollection. He hates mice.

     He backtracks, shutting the door behind him before opening the second closest one. Door number two is among the collection arrayed along the left wall of the hall. He stands transfixed at the doorway. The thumping that's haunted him quiets and finally stills. Dust motes dance in the moonlight cast by the uncovered window. They spin and twirl in frenzied waltz spurred by the recent movement. Covered in dust and moonlight, the room glows silver. It feels like the boy's trespassing, like he shouldn't be there. Should or shouldn't, he's here anyways. May as well go inside.

     Footfalls send tides of shining grey rippling from the floor. They lead a trail from the door to the unkempt bed upon which the boy kneels. He's surveying the window hanging above the headboard.

     The glass is stained in cobwebs. The painted frame peels and splinters at a touch. It shrieks and stabs the boy's fingers as it's pulled open, but the change of stagnant air to fresh is worth it.

     At least now the boy won't be smothered to death by dust bunnies in his sleep. He muses such things as he contemplates what his new life will be like in this large, eerie house. He idly carves a notch into the fragile sill with his thumb nail and gets himself yet another splinter. Nothing pleasant will ever occur while he's living here, he decides.

     On that cheery note, he throws his shoes to the floor and shakes out the covers he's crouched on top of. He sneezes several times at the billowing, grey cloud his actions kick up. Thankfully, the breeze from outside clears the air quickly. He settles under the sheets. His eyes close. He is soon asleep under the moonbeams.

     The open door closes as he slumbers.

END OF DAY ONE.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 950 37
Ember and Theo were driven apart as each of them searched for the answers they so desperately needed to find...will fate pull them back together? ...
834K 24.6K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...
3.1K 325 38
An average man withholding a big dream, a dream that is filled with adventures and sword fighting warriors, dark magic that is being controlled by wi...
95.8K 3.2K 83
"This is the story of Hazel..a tale I tell to others...a tale not many know of.. Such a loving child with her brother. So bright and full of life. Y...