Amaranth (Harry Potter Fan Fi...

By UnicornofHogwarts

Julia Smith finds out that she is a witch and that she will be going to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wiz... More

Chapter 1: The Mysterious Letter
Chapter 2: Magic and Wizards
Chapter 3: Potters, Weasleys and Quidditch
Chapter 4: "Who's your cousin?"
Chapter 5: Friends and Family
Chapter 7: Hogwarts
Chapter 8: Selena Slytherin
Chapter 9: Classes Begin!
Chapter 10: Fun at Hogwarts
Chapter 11: October Fun!
Chapter 12: Selena's Secret
Chapter 13: Halloween!
Chapter 14: Vilaina
Chapter 15: It All Starts
Chapter 16: Into the Night: Part 1
Chapter 17: Into the Night: Part 2
Chapter 18: The Plan
Chapter 19: Hogwarts Trek
Chapter 20: The Potion
Chapter 21: Sorrow
Chapter 22: Summer Magic

Chapter 6: Diagon Alley

1.1K 43 42
By UnicornofHogwarts

I wake up from the combination of the bright light streaming through the window and into my eyes, my two crazy best friends bouncing on my bed and the two same crazy best friends yelling for me to wake up for breakfast. I yawn and have barely enough time to sit up, before I am dragged down the many sets of stairs and to the breakfast table where Mrs. Weasley is handing out heaping plates with scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, and blueberries. Hermione starts discussing today’s plan as we dig into the scrumptious food.

 We will be going to Diagon Alley, which sounds like a wizard mall, to get all of the things we will need for school. Hermione says that we will be split into groups to make it easier and they will be based on what year we will be going into. We will also be having chaperones, which I am very glad of, because this ‘Diagon Alley’ sounds very confusing! Hermione lays out a piece of paper and then creates a copy for everyone and hands it to them. I read the paper, looking at who is in which group and year. There are so many first years and Weasleys!

I smile happily; I can’t wait to see Diagon Alley. After breakfast and helping Mrs. Weasley with the dishes, Rose, Alice and I run upstairs to look at the list of things we need to get. I reread and smile, I can’t wait to get my wand!

I wonder if there is a place to buy pets at Diagon Alley, because I really would like to have a pet to take to Hogwarts. We get dressed and get ready to go to Diagon Alley. Rose told me that the bag that I had my things in was charmed by her mum so that it has as much space as I want. We take our lists and walk down to where everyone has gathered.

 Although the kids that are from year 3 and up don’t need chaperones, they will have someone they have to report to and someone that will apparate with them to Diagon Alley. We are the second group to go, right after my brother and dad leave with all the other kids. Hermione grabs my arm as well as Rose’s and I for the second time in two days feel the odd feeling in my stomach and feel winded when my feet finally touch the ground.

 I feel slightly disappointed because all I see is a dirty old looking wall.

 “Hermione is this Diagon Alley?” I ask her.

 “You’ll see!” she says mysteriously.

 She pulls out her wand and taps the wall; suddenly I am looking out at a crowded street with many leaning buildings stretching as far as I can see.

 “Wicked!” I gasp. All of us first years stare out at the wonderful alley.

 “Ok Group 1, come on!” says Hermione cheerfully, leading us down the street.

 First we visited the bank where we met goblins and I found out that Mum actually has a full wizard vault. We then wandered down the street and to the book store called Flourish and Blotts.

 When we walk inside I see one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen. The store is full from top to bottom with books. The bookshelves reach the ceiling and there are tables with books filling them. The books are all sorts of different sizes, colors and shapes, and anyone, even if they despised reading would be amazed by this.

 We walk over to the table that has a sign that says ‘Hogwarts First Year Books.’ On the table are all of the titles that we need for this year. I pick up a pile of books and give them to Mum so that she can pay. Hermione tells us we can go and look around at other books that might interest us, but we have to be back in 10 minutes.

 Rose says she has a book that she has to find to read at school and everyone else wanders off so I head towards the back of the store. I walk over towards a shelf with books in black leather bindings and pull one randomly off the shelf. It is titled The Thousande One Flora Which Defeat. I pull it off the shelf and look at the first page; it looks boring with tiny letters, so I put it back and walk towards the non-fiction section since I want to find out more about the wizarding world.

 I pick up a book with a gold spine. The cover has a moving picture of a younger looking Harry, Ron and Hermione and the title is The Golden Trio. I look down at the author and am surprised to see that it is written by them. I open the book and read the first paragraph,

 ‘12 years ago, when I was eleven I met the two most wonderful people in the whole world. They would become my best friends and I love them like a brother and a sister. I met them both on the train ride to Hogwarts and became instant friends with Ron. Hermione was another case, I only became friends with her after Ron and I saved her from a giant troll. Thank you, Hermione Granger and you, Ron Weasley for being my best friends in the whole entire world. Your loyalty has never wavered even though we went through tough times and had our fights. You two have stayed at my side through the worst and the best and I would like to use this book as a thank you. Thank you for being there for me. Thank you for your loyalty. Thank you for being the siblings I never had. And finally thank you for never giving up in the fight even when the times were dark. I would like to dedicate this book to Hermione Jean Granger, smartest witch of her age, and Ronald Bilius Weasley, the truest friend alive.  Thank you.’

 I close the book and tuck it under my arm, I must get this book. As I am wandering out of the non-fiction section another book catches my eye, Hogwarts A History: An Edited Version. I grab it and look at the cover. On the cover is a beautiful castle with a lovely full moon over it. The author is Professor Garius Tomkink and edited by Hermione Granger. I laugh, Hermione must really like to read and write. I put Hogwarts A History: An Edited Version under my arm as well and walk back towards Hermione and the other parents. I give my mum the two books and look around for the others. I find them in the corner looking bored. I walk over to them and they all smile and say hi. Hermione comes over to us looking happy, but worried.

 “We have decided that you guys can go over to Weasley Wizard Wheezes together. But you must promise that you stay together, alright and don’t bother George, he has work to do.” Hermione says, making everyone smile.

 “What’s Weasley Wizard Wheezes?” I whisper ask Rose.

 “It’s a store owned by Uncle George that sells joke products, it’s really cool.” Rose whispers back.

 I smile, this sounds fun. We walk out of Flourish and Blotts and down the street towards a large orange building that says Weasley Wizard Wheezes. Rose, Alice and I are walking in front of the two boys and everything seems to be going fine until I hear them start arguing.

 “Stop pushing me!” I hear Albus say.

 “I’m not pushing you Potter, I wasn’t even touching you!” Scorpius says angrily.

 I hear them continue arguing until I see a tallish blonde girl come walking down the street. She’s wearing all of the clothes that are popular now and she’s wearing so much makeup I can’t tell what her actual skin is and what is her makeup.

 “Hide me!” I hear Scorpius squeak.

 “Why?” Albus asks.

 “Just please, she seems to think I love her but I don’t!” he says anxiously.

 Just then she walks up.

 “Hi Scorpykinz!” she says in a high pitched and fake voice.

 “Um…hi Vilaina.” Scorpius says uncomfortably.

 We turn around to see her wrap her arms around him and give him a girly hug while he pats her on the back.

 “I’ve missed you so much Scorpy!” she says wiping away fake tears. By now all of us are holding back laughs except for Rose who looks angry and stiff. She turns around and glares at us.

 “Who are you guys?” she asks in a tone of disgust.

 “I’m Julia Smith, Scorpius’ cousin. It’s nice meeting you!” I say to her, trying to be nice.

 She turns up her nose and glares at Rose, “And who are you?” she asks snottily.

 “I’m Rose Weasley, one of Scorpius’ best friends!” she says smiling. “And this is my cousin, Albus Potter and my friend Alice Longbottom! Who may you be putting your hands on my best friend?”

 The girl pales visibly but says confidently and snottily, “I’m Vilaina Pansy Parkinson-Dupont, surely you’ve heard of me and my twin brother, Hunter Mason Parkinson-Dupont?”

 “No, I haven’t and if I were you, I would keep my hands off of my best mate.” says Albus.

 She rolls her eyes and walks away.

 “What was that about?” asks Scorpius angrily.

 None of us answer him as we walk into Weasley Wizard Wheezes. The store is really big and most of the products are orange. I see products labeled as ‘Invisibility Hat’ and ‘Nosebleed Nougats.’ I smile, this store is really cool.

 We walk towards the back of the store and Albus knocks on a black door that says, ‘Employees only.’

 “Uncle George?” he calls.

 No one answers so he shrugs and opens the door. Inside is a bright room painted many many different colors. We walk towards a door that says ‘Study.’ We all walk inside and to our surprise the door slams closed behind us and we are left in a partially lit room.

 There is a sign on the door that says ‘Haha, just joking this is the broom closet! Be nice to it and see you when you get out you won’t get out until you say the answer to this riddle:

What’s more powerful than a spell, is impossible for a certain famous person to understand and is evident in the Weasley family?’

 We all stare at each other silently until Scorpius bursts out, “Potter this all your fault! You should have known that this wasn’t the right room!”

 “Shut it Malfoy!” he says.

 “Let’s all try to be friends.” I say pleadingly.

 “I agree with Julia, we’ll sit here and you guys go into the corner and settle your differences.” Rose says pleadingly.

 They huff but move into the corner and start whispering to each other while Rose, Alice and I discuss what the answer could possibly be.

 “Who could the ‘famous person’ be?” I ask not knowing who is famous in the wizarding world.

 “It could be anyone. Grr…trust George to come up with a hard riddle. Let’s see who are some famous people that don’t understand something?” Rose says.

 “Well Hermione doesn’t understand Quidditch!” says Alice giggling.

 “Could that be the answer? Quidditch!” I say laughing.

 “Maybe, let’s try it,” says Rose, “I believe that the answer is Quidditch.”

 She tries to open the door but it stays firmly locked and shut. She sighs and she sits down. The boys come over.

 “Well have you sorted out your differences?” Rose asks bossily.

 “Um…yeah,” Scorpius says nervously.

 “Yeah we have a lot in common, right Scorpius. We’re friends now.” Albus says confidently.

 “Yep!” he says and we all smile happily.

 “Grr…We can’t figure out what the answer could be.” I say angrily.

 “Could it be love?” asks Scorpius.

 We all turn towards him and stare at him. His cheeks turn red as we stare at him not saying anything.

 “It’s just an idea. It probably isn’t the answer any way. Just forget it. I just thought…” he says.

 “Go on,” I say, “I for one think that it might be the answer.”

 The other’s murmur words of agreement.

 “Alright,” he says sighing, “Well, I thought that maybe it was love because my dad said that Voldemort was never loved or loved anything. So, that fits the famous person part. Then, well it’s stronger than a spell because Harry’s mum’s love was able to save him and I saw yesterday and today that the Weasleys love each other very much.”

 “That’s got to be the answer Scorpius!” Rose says excitedly and I see his smile brighten.

 “Say it to the door!” I say, believing that we have finally gotten the answer.

 “Alright, here I go,” Scorpius says nervously as we all watch eagerly, wanting to get out of this dim closet, “I believe that the answer to the riddle is love.”

 Then he places his hand on the doorknob and turns it. The door opens squeaking as we all let out happy exclamations

 “Good job Scorpius! I knew you had it in you.” says Albus patting him on the back.

 I hug Scorpius and so does Rose, making both of their ears slightly red. Interesting….I’ll have to talk to both of them separately later. Alice pats Scorpius on the back as we all stand up and walk out of the closet. We quickly walk back to the door and out into the actual store.

 “There you five are,” says Hermione, “We were worried you had gotten lost.”

 “No mum! Sorry that we made you worry,” says Rose sweetly and matter of factly, “We just met an undesirable presence, got locked in a broom closet, argued and found the correct answer. But thank you for being worried about us, we weren’t lost or scared out of wits at all.”

 We all laugh and Hermione shakes her head.

 “Well why don’t you each find something here so that we can get going to Madam Malkin’s.” she says and we all start looking at the different products.

 Rose and I walk over to a shelf with quills on it of different shape and form. I pick up one that says ‘Thought Writer,’ while Rose picks up one that says ‘Mood Color.” We smile at each other and go up to the counter to pay for them. At the counter is another one of the red haired Weasleys who I think I remember being called George.

We place our items on the counter and are about to start paying when he puts up his hand and says, “First Years get one item free. Use them well and thank you for shopping at Weasley Wizard Wheezes Ms. Weasley and Ms. Smith.”

 We smile at him and walk over towards our mother’s with our quills in our hands.

 “Ah there you two are,” says Mum, “I was wondering where you were. Oh you got a quill each, that’s marvelous, the other’s got lots of joke stuff. Well let’s get going to Madam Malkin’s now!”

 We walk out of the store waving good-bye to George and walk down the street. The rest of the day passes quickly. We get our robes and all of our other necessary equipment before lunch at the Leaky Cauldron with the others. Then for the rest of the day we will be going to Ollivanders’ Wand Shop and the pet store.

 When we enter Ollivanders’ a bell rings and then all is silent. We stand nervously grouped together in front of the large oak desk. Our parents are sitting outside talking about when they went to Hogwarts while we get our wands. Suddenly with a swish an ancient man is standing in front of us.

 “Ah new Hogwarts students,” he says happily, “Well don’t be shy come forward now. Who’s first?”

 We huddle together, it’s hard not being shy and scared of him. He has very pale eyes, wild hair and seems to know everything about you.

 “Well if no one will volunteer,” he says, “I might as well pick someone. Let’s see Albus Severus Potter, you first. I remember the day I gave your father his wand very vividly, it was one of its kind. Holly with a phoenix feather, yes Dumbledore’s phoenix only supplied two feathers and they were in two wands that were enemies, Lord Voldemort’s and Mr. Potter’s. Let us see what wand shall choose you.”

 He proceeded to make measurements of Albus and finally disappeared into the back of the store and returned carrying around 10 boxes. He opened the first one and says, “11 ½ inches, ash with a core of unicorn tail, rather springy. Try.”

 He hands it to Albus who swishes it. Nothing appears to happen and then suddenly Alice screams and I turn around to see that her hair is on fire. Ollivander quickly waves her wand and the fire is extinguished with no harm done to Alice’s hair.

“Apparently not.” he says calmly and hands Albus another wand to try.

 This continues for another five minutes with things exploding, catching fire and shattering. Then Ollivander says, “Perhaps this one, similar to both of your parents’ wands, 12 ¼ Holly with a core of dragon heartstring. Strong and supple.”

 He hands the wand to Albus who swishes it down and sparks explode from it, creating miniature fireworks in the air.

 “Bravo! Bravo,” says Mr. Ollivander, “Excellent work my boy that will be 21 galleons.

 This is repeated for everyone. They are measured, Mr. Ollivander disappears, they try from 2 to 50 wands, making things explode and go terribly wrong and then they are handed a wand that creates fireworks our expresses that is their true wand.

 Finally Mr. Ollivander calls me up to his desk. He measures me and then he hurried into the back. He came back after around 5 minutes and surprisingly only had one box with him.

 “I believe that this wand is the one for you, Ms. Smith,” he said calmly and mysteriously, “Try.”

 He gave the wand to her. It was long and medium thin with what appeared to be smile vines twisting around the base. Each vine had a small lily blossoming from it. She raised her arm brought it down with a swish. She felt a comforting warm feeling from her wand and it glowed. Suddenly on Mr. Ollivander’s desk there was a bouquet of lilies and roses intertwined together.

 “Excellent Ms. Smith,” said Mr. Ollivander, “Your wand is made out of beech wood with a core of thestral hair and it is 13 ½ inches, surprisingly swishy. An old friend from France gave it to me and told me that one day I would find its owner, I am glad that it is you, Ms. Smith. Use it wisely. That will be 23 galleons, please. Thank you, have a good day and enjoy your years at Hogwarts and with your everlasting companion.”

 They walked out of the store and the door shut behind them with the tinkle of the bell. They found their mother’s sitting on a bench outside of the store.

 “There you are! We were wondering what was taking you so long,” Astoria says when she sees us, “What type of wands did you get?”

 We tell them about our wands as we wander towards the pet store called Magical Menagerie. We walk inside and see that the walls are covered in cages with pets. I immediately see a small Labrador puppy. It’s completely chocolate covered but it has a spot on its right shoulder that looks like a small star. He barks as we come in and I know immediately that I must have him.

 “How can I help you today?” asks the saleswoman at the desk.

 “How much does that Labrador puppy cost?” I ask her eagerly.

 “You can have her for a Galleon, she’s the last of her litter and no one has wanted her. She’s really cute and nice most of the time but, anyone that has gotten near her in the last couple days have gotten growled at. Though, she does seem to like you. She doesn’t have a name yet, but she has all the required shots and such.” the saleswoman says and brings me the puppy.

 I hold her and smile because she licks me. Her tongue is soft and she is so warm and soft. I pull out a galleon and give it to the saleswoman. She smiles at me and the puppy.

 “We also have a package for puppies that has all the necessary equipment that you would need for your puppy and since you’re going to Hogwarts, I can throw in some other things that will help at Hogwarts, free of charge for the additions. It will only cost you 10 galleons.” she says hopefully.

 “Alright.” I say and hand her the 10 galleons.

 She hands me a tiny little box that fits in my hand and a long list.

 “This list says everything that is in the box,” she says, “Don’t open the box itself until you get home, it’s rather large and is hard to carry. It will enlarge when you open it and when you need to get it to Hogwarts; you can ask someone to make it smaller for you.”

 I thank her and go over to Rose, who is looking at a small tabby kitten.

 “Aww…she’s cute.” I say smiling.

 “I know, I’m thinking of getting her.” Rose says happily.

 My puppy barks and I pat her head as she looks happily at the little kitten. I think they might like each other.

 “I think you should get her, my puppy seems to like her, so they could be friends!” I say to her.

 “What are you going to name the puppy?” Rose asks.

 “I was thinking about calling her Stardust because of the star like mark on her shoulder.” I say.

 “That’s a good name. I’ll go pay for the kitten. Her name is going to be Emma.” Rose says happily.

 We smile at each other and while she goes to pay I go over to Scorpius. He has a brown ferret on his shoulder and I smile at him.

 “What’s its name?” I ask him.

 “His name is Felix.” Scorpius says and I smile.

 I walk over to Albus who is holding a white ferret.

 “His name is Bob.” he says and I roll my eyes. Typical boy, naming his pet ‘Bob’.

 “You do realize that Felix and Bob will have to be friends?” I ask him.

 “Who’s Fe….” he starts but stops when he sees Scorpius with Felix. Then he walks over to introduce the two ferrets.

 I walk to where Alice is petting a pretty white rabbit.

 “What’s her name?” I ask her.

 “Marble,” she says, “And I think Rose is looking for you.”

 I look around and see Rose with Emma in her arms.

 “There you are,” she says, “I was looking for you!”

 I smile and pet Emma’s soft fur while she rubs Stardust’s ears. Soon we are ready to go and we pack everything together, say goodbye to the owner and apparate back to the Burrow. Today was a good day and there are only a few weeks left until Hogwarts starts.

 Rose, Alice, Scorpius, Albus and I enjoy our weeks together by playing with our pets, the other Weasleys and getting to know each other. I can’t wait for Hogwarts and finally before I know it, it is the day before and we have to pack. We pack up all of our things. I will be sad to leave the Burrow and I will miss my parents and Jake, but I’m sure I’ll see them on the weekends sometimes.

 The night before Hogwarts starts, we have a giant feast with lots of delicious food and Rose, Alice and I go happily to bed with our wonderful pets. Stardust snuggles up to me and licks my neck. I’m glad that I have her to take with to Hogwarts. I’ve already read my books several times so hopefully I will be prepared. I am ready to take on Hogwarts and am very excited for my adventure to begin.

Disclaimer: I don’t own Harry Potter or any of the characters from the series.

Author’s Note: I hope you like this chapter! The next requirement is 150 reads, 35 comments and 15 votes! The next chapter is the Hogwarts chapter, which I can’t wait to write, but it might take a bit longer to write. This chapter is dedicated to @OguJambalya for so many comments on the last chapter. She is awesome and although I haven’t read any of her stories, she is an awesome friend! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.5K 1.5K 30
{george weasley ff} Indigo Parker was an average girl with knowledge of a magical world, but she never thought this knowledge would mean anything bec...
222K 9.4K 130
Iris Rosier always believed she was the odd one out. She didn't share her family's beliefs and constantly felt as though she was different from them...
17.5K 166 67
Meet Jaya Smith or is that her true identity? Her whole life shes lived a life but what if all that life was false? What if what she thought had been...
244 3 24
You are Y/n Snape, daughter of Severus Snape. This is your First Year at Hogwarts. Will you become friends with a certain Trio? What house are you go...