What Love Is | ✅

By EthrealPrincess

River-rose thinks what her and her high school sweetheart has is love, but when she's told she needs to marry... More

W A R N I N G
I N T R O
01 | W E l l
02 | S A C R I F I C E
03 | C O U R A G E
04 | N E R V O U S
05 | R I N G S
06 | M A R R I E D
07 | H O U S E
08 | H E S I T A N T
09 | B L U E
10 | G L A S S
11 | S H A T T E R E D
12 | C O N F E S S
13 | L A D Y B U G
14 | A L O N G
15 | T E L L
17 | H A P P Y
18 | M E R I S S A
19 | Y O U R S
20 | M E R I N G U E
21 | B U S I N E S S
22 | T I R E D
23 | S U R P R I S E
24 | T I P S Y
25 | S I N G
26 | P E R I O D
27 | M O R N I N G
28 | V I S I T
29 | A L R I G H T
30 | A D O R E
31 | H O N E Y M O O N
32 | U N S P O K E N
33 | S U N K I S S E D
34 | M I S S I N G
35 | H A R D W O R K I N G
36 | N A U G H T Y
37 | B A T H E
38 | S N O W
39 | N I T A L I A
40 | D A T E
41 | A N X I E T Y
42 | P A I N
43 | C A R E
44 | D A N C I N G
45 | B A B Y
46 | S U R P R I S E
47 | H A P P Y
48 | V I S I T
49 | L O S S
50 | H U R T
51 | C R Y I N G
52 | C H A N G E
53 | P E A C E
54 | L O V E
55 | A G A I N
56 | H A Y Z E
A/N

16 | C H O O S E

115K 3.7K 742
By EthrealPrincess

A tie was was thrown onto Hayze's bed, followed by his cuff links and his dress shirt.

He sighed and cracked his neck and shoulders before getting out some comfortable clothes. It had been a long day.

Before he went to get his shower, he decided he wanted to go and see River-rose and maybe sneak a kiss or two.

He made his way down the stairs, calling out for her. Instead of finding River, he found Vito.

"Have you seen my wife?"

"She's in her room. She said she was tired or something."

Hayze was slightly shocked. River was usually outside or playing with Blue in the living room at this time.

"Okay, thank you."

Vito nodded and went back into the kitchen to finish with whatever he was doing.

Hayze came up to her door which now had her name painted across it in gold paint. He knocked and when he heard no answer, he figured she was sleeping and decided he didn't want to disrupt her sleep.

Just as he was walking away, he heard a crash come from her room. He slammed the door opened and his eyes zoned in on River who was slumped against her vanity table.

"River! La mia povera bambina! Whats wrong?"

(My poor baby girl)

"Vito!" He panicked as he gently lifted her up. Her small body was limp and pale. "Porta il kit di pronto soccorso e il ghiacco!" He shouted.

(Bring the first aid kit and ice!)

"Chi ti ha fatto questo, bella rosa? When i find out, i will personally beat them until their paralyzed," he said as placed her down on her bed and stroked her hair.

(Who did this to you, pretty rose?)

His eyes scanned over the bruises on her neck and immediately he knew who'd done this to her.

How could she go back to him after i told her not to? I thought i was keeping her happy

Vito came in with the first aid kit and ice, the confusion clear on his face. "Wha-" He froze and scratched his head. "Did she pass out? What are those marks on her neck." He neared the bed and placed the stuff on it before putting a hand on Hayze's shoulder who looked like he would spontaneously combust. River had found a place in Vito's heart and he had quickly learned to care for her like his own daughter. 

"Her 'boyfriend' did this to her. I can't believe she went back to him after I've given her the attentions she's desired," Hayze ranted as he stood up and paced around the room. "How could she d-"

"Well hold on a second Hayze, what would make her 'boyfriend' so angry with her to beat her like this? You don't know the reason for her going there. You should hear what she has to say," Vito said as he began icing the swelling on River's pale cheek. "I could hardly believe this sweet girl would go behind your back after everything you've done for her."

"I haven't done enough. She deserves everything," Hayze said quietly as he sat down and swept her long hair out of her pretty face which was littered with a few cuts. He couldn't find it in himself to be mad at her when she was in this condition or any condition at all. She was so sweet and she had him wrapped around her small fingers. 

He took out some wipes and wiped the cuts clean. "Vito, go out into the garden with the fountain and cut me a piece of aloe, I don't want these cuts to scar her face."

"Of course." 

When Vito left, Hayze assessed the rest of her body for injuries. When he noticed bruise marks above her knees, he took a deep breath and then lifted her sweater dress to just above her belly button.

He cursed repeatedly in Italian as he took in the sight of her slightly ripped panties and the bruises littering her thighs. He sprung up off the bed and paced around, clenching and unclenching his fists as he tried to control his anger. Not knowing what to do, he threw his fist into River's vanity mirror, a spiderweb crack forming right in the corner, splitting down to the opposite side like the ground during an earthquake.

He stared at the crack until a whimper made his head snap towards where River was trying to get up.

"Bella rosa, are you okay?" He rushed to her side to assist with her sitting up. 

When she noticed her state of undress, she started quietly crying and tugging at the blanket. She was sitting on it and fumbling with the sheet, so Hayze lifted her into one arm and tugged the blankets back before gently placing her down and covering her up.

He pulled her into his firm, bare chest and breathed in the scent of her hair as he tried to calm himself. She cried onto his skin, her delicate eyelashes tickling his chest as she threaded her hands into the hair at the back of his head. 

She was shaking with silent sobs that caused an ache in Hayze's chest. He ran his hand over her long hair in a soothing motion. "Sh, shh don't cry. I don't like it when you're so sad."

She began apologizing repeatedly into her chest. "I-I'm sorry Hayze. I just wanted t-to make you happy."

"What do you mean?" 

"All this time I haven't broken up with him, so..." Hayze smiled at how sweet she was. She wanted to make him happy. "I went there today to tell him and when I got there, he proposed to me and UGH!" she bumped her head into his chest. "I must have hurt him so bad. I mean, I don't even like him anymore and he proposed to me! I told him I couldn't and I said that I had gotten married and he called me a-a gold digger. He thinks I married you for money, but I would never. You know I would ne-"

He kissed her hair. "Calm down, pretty girl. I know you wouldn't."

"And th-then he threatened you and I couldn't let him hurt you." He smiled at the fact that she wanted to protect him. "So he said if I gave him my virginity that he wouldn't hurt y-" 

Hayze pulled away from her in a rage. "F~ck! Why would you do that!? I'm supposed to protect you!" He shouted and she cowered back and the tears poured down her face faster.  He tugged at his hair in anger. "Sei pazzo? Avrei dovuto essere li."

(Are you insane? I should have been there.)

"Hayze, I didn't!" she shouted.

He stared at her and his voice lowered to a whisper. "What?"

"I didn't let him. He was about to but then I hit him in the head with a heavy book."

"He should be in jail right now," Hayze growled. "Did he hurt you anywhere else? Do i have to go over there and beat his ass?" His icy eyes flashed mysteriously.

River blushed and her eyes widened when she finally noticed that Hayze's chest was bare and on display for her to see. This was the first time she had seen him in anything other than professional clothes. Sure, he had been wearing pajamas that day she had been trying to get a glass but she hadn't payed much attention to what he looked like with the glass in her hands and thighs.

He carressed her cheek to make her look at him. "Don't be so shy. You can look, i don't mind."

He didn't mind and he didn't think he'd need someone to genuinely think he was good looking but apparently he did. She made him feel confident about himself when he hadn't even noticed before that he hadn't felt confident around people.

He had always been more reserved but when he knew what he wanted he was firm and got the job done. He'd shout at people if that's what had to happen.

"Would you like me to get a bubble bath ready for you? So you can relax."

She nodded eagerly and he chuckled. Gently, he ruffled her hair. "I'll be right back."

He went into her bathroom which was well cleaned, the marble counters still shiny. It smelled slightly of her green apple shampoo and it made him smile. 

Turning the gold fixtures, he ran a hand under the water until it was a nice temperature before plugging the tub and pouring in some of her lavender and citrus flower bubble bath. After that, he went and collected River into his arms and brought her back in and sitting her on the bathroom counter.

"Will you be okay?" he asked hesitantly. He didn't want to leave her alone but he didn't want to overstep anything she'd be uncomfortable with. 

"Yes, thank you."

"Alright. I think we'll push back the visit with your parents for another day."

She frowned but nodded anyway. "Okay."

He kissed her forehead. "I'm glad you chose me, pretty girl," he whispered before exiting the bathroom so she could bathe in peace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

367 5 10
Angst & Fluff | First Love | Toxic Codependency Sexual Content | Light Violence | Foul Language Suitable for Adult Readers ONLY 🔞 Minors do not read...
4.4K 109 18
🎀𝐀 𝐆𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥'𝐬 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲🎀 16+ (𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬...𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲) 𝐋𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐮𝐫𝐚 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐦𝐬 is a struggling artis...
730K 26.3K 37
Sam, a shy, 16 year old, closeted lesbian who has anxiety issues and abusive parents meets Avery, a soon to be Beta, who wasn't expecting to find her...
47.1K 2.7K 62
Until a year ago, Kacey's life had always been easy. But when it rains, it pours, and he loses what always seemed a given. A year and a half later, h...