Bring Him Back

By Cleria2000

As expected, Nightwing is taking full blame for that 'horrible' plan, Artemis and Kaldur have tried to share... More

Back To Normal?
Anger Pt. 1
Anger Pt. 2
Revelation
Telling Him
I'm Fine
Please Brother!
Jason's Back!
Explanations
Treatment
Side Effects
Tagged
Plan B
Plan B- In Motion
Complications
Rest The Weary
Unresolved
Christmas Special

No Matter What!

10.5K 232 102
By Cleria2000

WARNING: There is swearing.

Dick has been working non-stop at the Batcave's computer. He has a theory, he just needs to be absolutely sure it will work first.

A loud boom and the screeching of wheels on rock alerts him that Tim has come back.

"Where'd you go tonight Timmy?"

Tim takes his helmet off and walks up to Dick, standing by his side and looking at the screen.

"Where do you think? I'm not going back to them for a while."

At that Dick stopped working for a moment and turned to his little brother.

"Tim, it's been three months. You're gonna have to go back to YJ eventually. They need you."

"And so do the Titans... they've been asking about you Dick. They really miss you around the Tower."

I miss them too...

"... doesn't matter right now Tim. Besides I fully trust Starfire's abilities."

Dick could've sworn he heard Tim mutter something along the lines of "obviously" but let it go.

His little brother was never going to let either him or Star live that 'situation' down...

"What are you working on anyways D?"

As soon as he asked the screen went red and Dick slammed his fists onto the table, obviously frustrated.

Tim took one slow step back, not used to the overwhelming anger and frustration radiating off his brother.

"I don't even know anymore..."

Dick ran a tired hand down his face just as the cave's alarms went off.

Before Dick even got up, Tim was running over to check who it was this time.

Batman quickly entered the Batcave and looked as well.

"It's that new guy. Uh, Red Hood."

Dick inwardly grimaced. He had a theory about that guy too. But... now isn't the time.

Bruce glanced back at Dick as he put his uniform on. He immediately told him to sit back down and that he looked like complete and utter hell.

Dick, for once, didn't argue back. He just sat back down in silence and watched them take off.

_______________________________________

Dick let out another irritated sigh, albeit the fifth one that hour.

Another failure... maybe I need to reverse--

The doors screeched open once again, letting the Batmobile back home.

Reckless driving... Bruce must be pissed.

Dick switched the monitor screen to criminal files, making it seem like he was going over cases. He didn't want Bruce to see.

He'd just try to stop him.

Dick swung the chair around and saw that Bruce was in one of those moods.

"Any luck?"

Bruce glared at him and quickly took his uniform off, putting it back in the case. He slams the door shut and briskly goes back upstairs to the Manor, growling to himself and saying something about how he needed to talk to Alfred.

Dick sighed and shook his head, turning back to the monitor and switching it back to his project.

He tried another combination. And in return the screen flashed red once again.

Wally would be able to figure this out in seconds...

"Dick c'mon. You need to get some rest. Or at the very least eat! You're gonna make yourself sick again!"

Well, that was true. Dick has hardly slept and has rarely eaten since Wally... left. And he's been working on this plan ever since.

He just won't tell anyone what it is.

"I will soon Timmy."

"You've said that everytime."

Dick remained silent. He wasn't in the mood to argue.

And due to the frustrating failure tonight, neither was Tim at the moment.

After Tim stomps back up the Manor himself, Dick tries again.

Another red flash.

Dick was about to smash the computer in anger.

Calm down Grayson. Think about what you've done so far. How can you improve the simulation?

He took a deep, calming breath and exhaled slowly.

He tried again, and this time...

The screen glowed green.

Saying Dick was shocked was an understatement. But after three months of failure-- he was worried that maybe it was just a fluke.

He ran the simulation again, slowing the process down so he can observe each and every move that was made. Every change he made, everything he would have to do to make this work.

The screen glowed green once more. It wasn't a fluke. He found a solution, this could actually work!

But he needed something else...

And he can't let Bruce know about it.

Dick practically jumped from the chair, the first time he felt hopeful in months, and grabbed something red from a drawer. Something he kept hidden for a year.

He quickly put on his Nightwing uniform and rode his bike out of the Cave.

_______________________________________

To be honest, Nightwing wasn't really sure where to find him. There was no way to be sure.

But if he was lucky, then he would just come to him.

So he's been sitting at the edge of the Wayne Industries building for nearly an hour. Hoping the luck he experienced earlier that night would uphold.

And it eventually did. After an hour and a half of waiting, the person he was waiting for finally showed up, judging by the sound of feet landing behind him.

Nightwing slowly stood up and turned around. Not ten feet away was the man he was waiting for.

Red Hood.

A second ticked by before Nightwing slowly started to approach him.

And it only took half a second after that for Red Hood to pull a gun on him.

Neither spoke. Red's breathing was heavy, as if he was actually hesitating.

But Nightwing remained silent even though his heart was thumping like a speeding train.

Nightwing slowly reached into his utility belt, searching for what he grabbed earlier.

The trigger clicked and his hand started shaking. Nightwing froze for a moment before grabbing what he was going for.

It's okay. It's okay. God, Dick if you're wrong about this you'll never live it down... probably literally.

But it was worth the risk.

His hand closed around the object and he slowly took a step back and outstretched his hand. He unfolded his fingers slowly, trying not to make any sudden moves.

He could hear Red Hood take a sharp breath. Now he felt almost certain.

In Nightwing's hand, was a red Bat emblem.

"Why the hell would you give me that?!"

Nightwing's frown deepened.

"Take... that helmet off Jay."

Nothing actually happened for a moment. Until Red Hood put his gun away.

And slowly removed his helmet, placing it carefully on the ground.

"...you look like shit Dick."

Nightwing nearly let out a laugh.

"You don't look much better... Jay? I need your help."

Jason pretty much scoffed and stepped away.

"Right so... you think you can give me that..."

He pointed to the red emblem in Nightwing's hand.

"And I'll just help you?! Why in the fu--"

"Jason! It's Wally..."

That shut him up for a moment.

"I know you're aware of what's happened. It's been the only thing on the news for awhile. And I have an idea on how to bring him back."

Jason remained silent but didn't step farther away.

"I've been running a simulation for three months now. All failures. But tonight, I found one that could work. I'm just... missing one thing. And you're the only person that can probably get it."

He used his other hand to grab a piece of paper from his belt and offered it to Jason.

He took it silently. After giving it a quick look, he looked back at Nightwing like he was just told to bring him the sun.

"You don't have to do it. I didn't really expect you to anyways. But whatever you decide..."

Nightwing bends down to the ground and sets the Bat emblem down along with a communicator.

"Those are yours anyways."

Nightwing turned around and slowly started going back towards the edge when he heard a silent whisper.

"One particle accelerator coming right up..."

Nightwing let out a shaky breath and counted to ten.

When he turned around, Red Hood was gone.

So was the emblem and communicator.

_______________________________________

It's been five days and not a word from Jason came through the communicator.

Dick was worried. He was worried that Jason couldn't get it, he was hurt, or even maybe he wasn't actually serious in helping him.

Whatever the case, he was probably gonna end up pacing a hole into the floor.

He never went back to the Manor that night. He finally returned to Titans Tower after telling Tim where he was going.

He was in his old room, surrounded by the things he used to have in his Titan days because no one dared to touch their former leader's room other than to clean it.

But nothing in there offered comfort. Just a longing to have those days back.

He sat down at the end of his bed and ran a hand through his hair, letting his bangs fall across his face.

He hasn't worn his mask since he came back to the Tower, Bruce be damned.

He just doesn't care anymore, most of them knew who he was anyways.

He closed his eyes, trying to calm his mind a little when a soft knock was heard from the door.

"Yeah?"

The door slowly slid open just enough for Star to step in.

"Gar just brought pizza. Would... you like some Dick?"

I really do miss how she tripped over words...

Dick raised his head and looked at her, asking a silent question.

She smiled at him.

"Yes, he actually did bring back a meat lovers for you."

Dick smiled back at her and made to get up when a voice came from his comm.

"Hey Nightwing? It's Ja--"

"Hey! Starfire I'll eat in a second. I better answer that first!"

Star looked a little uncertain but... she trusts him.

She just smiled again, nodded, and closed the door behind her as she left.

The minute she closed the door his smile disappeared and he grabbed the communicator from his nightstand.

"Jason, next time keep your voice down! No one else knows you're still alive!"

A chuckle answered him from the other side, causing Dick to roll his eyes.

"Yeah sure Goldie. Hey... I got the accelerator."

"... you didn't kill anyone did you?"

A short break of silence answered him.

"Jason--"

"God chill! I got the damn thing from Star Labs so of course I didn't. Only place that had one I could actually lift."

That might be a problem. If it was too small then...

"How big is it Jay?"

There was a short shuffling sound from the other end, like he was moving something around.

"...it's just a prototype one Dickie. Is that good enough?"

Dick let out a small sigh. He knew there was going to be something that jeopardizes the plan.

"It's gonna have to work."

"And what if it doesn't?"

Dick thought for a moment, thinking of how to word this.

"Depends. How protective is that helmet?"

"...shit."

_______________________________________

They decided to meet at the ruins of that old warehouse... oddly enough, it was Jason's idea to meet there.

Memorable spot, ya know?

Jason had been waiting about twenty minutes until Dick pulled up on his bike, wearing his full uniform.

In that time he was fiddling with the red Bat emblem, trying to figure out what to do with the damn thing when his big brother pulled up.

He quickly put the emblem away and proceeded to casually tap the particle accelerator as Nightwing came up to check it out.

"Not bad eh?"

Not bad indeed. Hopefully it will work.

"Yeah..."

It was a bittersweet thing to look at.

It's the only known way to bring Wally back. But Dick knew that if it didn't work it would just be another failure of his.

"Ready to fire it up Wing?"

"No."

Jason pretty much froze, inches from turning it on.

"What?"

He did not spend five days at Star Labs, spying on the workers to learn how it works just Dick to back out.

"It can't be here Jay. According to the successful simulation-- it needs to be done where he last was."

Jason recounted the news article he last saw about the vanished speedster.

"...and how do you propose we get this little gem to the North Pole?"

Wow, sarcasm much?

Nightwing just shrugged.

"We take the Batwing."

"And Bruce is just gonna let you take it?"

This time Nightwing actually laughed.

"He's not gonna know ahead of time. I'm just gonna take it."

Jason cracked a smile at that.

"Not so much of a Golden Boy anymore huh?"

You have no idea Jay-bird.

"So... how long is it gonna take for it to get here?"

At that Nightwing raised up a remote and pressed a button.

The Batwing appeared right over Jason.

"Fucking hell Dick!"

Nightwing laughed again.

"It's called auto-pilot and camoflauge mode Jay-bird."

"Cheeky ass. Come on, let's get this over with."

_______________________________________

Both of them were mainly silent on the way over, mainly because Nightwing was concentrating and Red Hood was constantly checking the accelerator.

But when they finally came across a barren land of snow, Jason finally spoke up once more.

"Dick?"

"Hmm?"

"What if we aren't able to bring Wally back? What then?"

Dick sighed. He was anticipating this question for awhile. He finally had an answer for it.

"Give up I guess. Move on... there's nothing else I would be able to do."

That answer took away any want or need to talk the rest of the way.

They got a little further before Nightwing suddenly landed the Batwing.

"Dick? What are you doing?"

Nightwing pointed to a mass of slightly scattered, yellow particles on a screen.

"See that? That was my whole theory. If Wally had really been evaporated, some visible trace would have been left behind. Instead there was nothing. So I took time off from the YJ team to come here and do a scan. And that--"

He pointed once more to the little yellow particles dancing around the screen.

"-- is what I found. It confirmed he wasn't really gone. I just had to find a way to restore him."

Jason's eyes were wide. He couldn't believe Dick found that out himself.

"So those little yellow dots on the monitor... are 'Wally particles'?"

Nightwing nodded.

"Everyone was in mourning, no one thought to give it a second look. To try and make sure he was really gone. But something just didn't add up. And I found that."

Nightwing looked out the window to where the screen was indicating the invisible particles were.

"And that's why I needed a particle accelerator. Now let's go bring Wally home."

_______________________________________

It took less time to set it up than Dick had anticipated. But then again, he was hoping for a larger model.

Couldn't be helped though.

"Okay... the Batwing has a protective lining and skeletal structure so it should protect us from the blast."

Jason stood up from his kneeling position.

"And I did everything I saw those scientists do to control the blast. Shouldn't go much farther from the Batwing."

Jason gave the accelerator one last glance before Dick gave him a nod to board the ship once again.

Once he was inside, Nightwing took position besides the accelerator.

All he had to do was throw a simple switch.

But doubts started to flood his mind.

What if it didn't work? What if he didn't reach the ship in time? What if... what if he got both himself and Jason killed?

But he didn't come this far for nothing.

For Wally...

He finally threw the switch and instantly felt a wave of energy surge through his body.

He didn't waste a second and turned around and raced towards the Batwing.

He was halfway up the ramp before Jason grabbed him by the arm and hauled him up the rest of the way, and closed the door, just as a wave energy rocked the ship.

They were dazed for a second but quickly recovered and ran to the window, watching for any sign it was working.

The ship's rocking intensified and a loud hum filled their ears.

"How long did you set it for?" yelled Nightwing.

"About two minutes! It-- it was the longest time I've seen them test it!"

Hopefully that is long enough...

At first nothing seemed to show up. But one at a time they could see yellow and red dots forming into a human shape.

Finally the form was completed and the shape seemed to be running in place at an amazing speed.

When that shape fully formed, Dick could've sworn his heart stopped.

After another minute the accelerator seemed to slow down, the hum stopped and the energy waves receded.

The human shape, however, suddenly ran at an inhuman pace and tripped over it's own feet, landing face first into snow.

The ship's door opened once again after all residual radiation left the area, and Nightwing ran out of the ship to the still form in the snow while Jason ran to check on the accelerator.

Dick stopped by the side of what looked like Wally.

He kneeled down and carefully turned the still body onto his back.

It was Wally.

Dick looked for a pulse and found one.

Steady and strong. He just... fell asleep.

Nightwing gave a choked sob and a loud sigh of relief.

Wally was back.

His best friend was back.

Jason ran up to Dick's side after the accelerator was back in the ship and helped him carry the sleeping speedster back onto the ship.

He was set in an empty seat and covered in blankets after affirming his health once more.

Finally both men sat back in their seats, breathing hard.

Jason was once again the first to speak.

"Dick? You're taking me home first. I need a beer. Or two."

Dick just laughed in response.

_______________________________________

"So we won?"

"Yes."

"And everyone else is okay?"

"Yup."

"Will you say more than one word to me Dick?"

"Sure Wally. I'm driving."

Wally just playfully rolled his eyes and sat back in the seat, continuing to eat.

It was now about nine in the morning and after Dick had dropped Jason off after a... 'bro-hug' as Dick called it, he had flown back to the Batcave with Wally still sleeping.

Luckily, Tim was at school and Bruce was at work.

Alfred, however, was in the Batcave with his arms crossed and eyebrows raised.

But when Dick came out carrying a very much alive Wally-- Alfred let it go for a moment.

And while he demanded answers later, he helped Dick situate Wally in the front seat of Dick's car and gave him three bags of cookies he made earlier that morning.

Alfred knew Dick had something to take care of before they talked.

So that's where they were now.

Wally asking questions while Dick was driving towards a Zeta tube that was closest to the Watch Tower.

Both men were smiling as Dick had called Artemis, alerting her in a very serious tone that everyone was to meet at the Watch Tower and wait for him.

They would share a laugh back and forth, their arguments of the Invasion forgiven as both agreed they were stupid anyways.

Still, Wally didn't have much energy to talk so he was constantly eating the cookies. Not that he was complaining.

When they reached the Zeta tube, Dick told him to wait about a minute before following him in.

Finally... things will finally be okay again.

And with that thought, Dick entered the Watch Tower for the first time in three months.

_______________________________________

Just as he instructed, everyone that could make it was at the Tower.

But most importantly, the original YJ members, especially Artemis.

Some League members were there too, thinking it was another emergency. Including the Flash.

Nightwing didn't say anything. He just smiled. If he was a speedster himself he would be vibrating from excitement.

"Flash. Artemis. Can you come a little closer?"

Both of them looked confused and Nightwing couldn't help but flinch at the depressed looks on their faces.

But not for much longer.

They stepped closer and Nightwing simply ignored the confused looks on their faces.

The gasps that followed were music to his ears.

"Recognized: Kid Flash B-03"

Everyone was shocked at first but then Artemis threw herself at him, followed by Barry and Bart.

For three months, the only cries that have been heard amongst the heroes were those of sadness.

But now, they were amazed and happy.

Artemis wouldn't let go of him and both of the other speedsters were speaking their 'speedy language' but the strange thing was that Wally actually seemed to understand them now.

After a few minutes things calmed down and everyone wanted to know how he was even still alive.

"Nightwing. Nightwing saved my life."

Not just me Walls... he'll let himself known when he's ready I guess.

Stunned faces all turned towards him at once although Wally was still beaming at Dick.

Nightwing turned slightly to Kaldur and chuckled a little.

"This is why I needed time off Kal."

Kaldur was just as shocked as the others and merely nodded.

Wally was then whisked away by a few members of the League to get checked out at the medical bay, Artemis and Bart followed, while Barry ran off somewhere to make calls to both Iris and Wally's parents.

Nightwing however just found the closest chair and slumped down. Completely exhausted.

The younger members were talking amongst themselves about who knows what while the rest of the original members came to gather around Nightwing.

"Did you have an idea that was ever gonna happen?"

Nightwing moved his hand to his cheek to hold his head up as he slumped further into the chair.

"No, not at first Con. I didn't think Wally would... disappear to begin with. But when he did... I knew he wasn't just gone, it didn't feel like that. So I left the team for a little while and did some investigating and planning. After I found out what happened it took three months of running a simulation to find a solution."

"Then why didn't you come to us for help?" asked Kaldur.

Nightwing gave a now emotionless laugh.

"I wasn't exactly everybody's favorite guy at that time. Remember?"

Looks of remorse passed over their faces as they heard that.

But he gave them the same cheeky little grin he used to show them as Robin, whenever they figured out something that he already knew.

"Besides... us Bats are pretty good at dealing with those types of things anyways. In a way it's what we're trained for."

They all nodded at that, not realizing that Nightwing never specified himself only.

"Did Batman know?"

And Dick's smile immediately left.

No... and I took the Batwing without his 'permission'!

Seeing Nightwing's face drain of color, Kaldur put a hand on his shoulder.

"Are you alright my friend?"

"Yeah... totally asterous."

That got a smile out of all of them, a real smile, even Connor.

"Recognized: Batgirl B-16, Robin B-20, Batman 02"

Nightwing immediately tensed hearing his former mentor's signature.

"Aw crap..." he muttered.

But he got up anyways with a now professional look about him and turned around to meet his... 'family'.

Both Robin and Batgirl smirked at him before going off to talk with other members of the team and a realization dawned upon Dick: this is the first time either of them have contacted Young Justice since he left.

He swallowed hard and looked up at Batman's face.

He didn't say anything but his body language said : 'we are talking later'

Nightwing was fine with later.

J'onn came back from the med-bay and announced that Wally is in perfect health other than obvious energy and hunger issues.

Nightwing made to sit down again and maybe take a quick nap when J'onn called for him.

He wanted to check Nightwing out too.

First and foremost, he requested a radiation test.

"I can feel radiation lingering. We need to make sure there are no lasting effects."

Radiation seemed to confuse everyone present. Except for Dick. It just made his blood run cold.

He quietly followed down the halls of the med-bay and actually caught a glimpse of Wally.

He did indeed seem fine until he saw Dick. Worry spread across his features. Dick only offered him a meek smile.

He wasn't feeling too asterous anymore.

J'onn led him to an empty room and instructed Dick to sit on the bed.

Just a simple blood test Dick...

He didn't even feel the needle piercing his skin, he barely heard J'onn say he would be back with the results soon.

A few minutes passed when someone came to the door, but it wasn't J'onn.

"Wally, you're supposed to be resting!"

Wally just shook his head, giving him the same meek smile that Dick gave him.

"I feel fine. What about you?"

Dick just shook his head.

"I don't know..."

I'm so glad I made Jason get on board first...

Wally just sat in silence, not knowing what was going on but not wanting to pressure Dick either.

Finally, J'onn came back with the results.

"There is... nothing precise Nightwing. But... there is a lot of excess radiation lingering. It could turn into..."

He didn't finish. And he didn't have to.

Both Wally and Dick knew what he meant.

"Wing... why were you around such excess amounts of radiation?"

Nightwing shook his head.

"It was necessary. To bring you home."

"What? Why would you do something so reckless?!"

At that Nightwing got up quickly, eager to get out of that room.

"Because so many people have suffered from my mistakes. Even when that stupid plan worked you were still gone! And I was going to bring you home, no matter what it took."

"But now what are you going to do? Dick... you could possibly have the start of cancer now."

Nightwing just shrugged.

"Keep living. Keep fighting. Everything I did the past few months was worth it for today. I don't regret doing it."

For the rest of that night the only ones who knew were the three of them.

Nightwing just wanted everyone to celebrate like they should.

And they did.

And for the first time in months, he finally got a peaceful sleep.

He took his first step into healing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.6K 1.4K 9
Nightwing has been abandoned, first by his mentor, Bruce, then by Wally, his best friend, then by his second family, and now by everyone else. They b...
8.2K 200 23
After the loss of her mother she looks to confine in her teammates, to learn they don't want her around. So she leaves. How will the life of Artemis...
105K 2.1K 34
Basically a whole bunch of one shots about birdflash from arguments or to snuggle time REQUESTS ARE WELCOME
85.7K 2.9K 13
In which Bruce Wayne calls upon the Young Justice team to save his seven children who were kidnapped by a group of rogues who are threatening to kill...