Cherokee Roses {Daryl Dixon's...

By shookifer

[«my mission in life is not to merely survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion... More

A note from the author.
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y o n e
t w e n t y t w o
t w e n t y t h r e e
t w e n t y f o u r
t w e n t y f i v e
t w e n t y s i x
t w e n t y e i g h t
t w e n t y n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y o n e
t h i r t y t w o
t h i r t y t h r e e
t h i r t y f o u r
t h i r t y f i v e
t h i r t y s i x
t h i r t y s e v e n
t h i r t y e i g h t
t h i r t y n i n e
f o u r t y
f o u r t y o n e
f o u r t y t w o
f o u r t y t h r e e
f o u r t y f o u r
f o u r t y f i v e
f o u r t y s i x
f o u r t y s e v e n
f o u r t y e i g h t
f o u r t y n i n e
f i f t y
f i f t y o n e
f i f t y t w o
s e q u e l

t w e n t y s e v e n

4.9K 136 32
By shookifer

"Well good news is, you're gonna live." Hershel said. "Bad news, you're gonna need stitches."

I groaned, making a laugh escape from the old man. My dad was leaned against the cell door watching me carefully.  It's been a whole day since the shootout, and I really thought I'd get by with just a bandage. That was until Hershel got me cornered and told me that I wasn't.

"It'll only be a couple." Hershel told me before getting up to go get supplies. 

My dad and I make eye contact as Hershel leaves. Slowly he makes his way over and sits next to me. "You haven't needed stitches in a while." 

"I've had stitches before?" I ask and he chuckles.

"Yeah, it was the scariest moment of my life." Dad cracks a smile. "I took ya to the park when you were around three. This jackass kid pushed you down, ya busted your chin."

"Is that what the scar on my chin is from?"I ask lightly. 

"Yeah." he grunts chewing on his thumb. "I swear, his mom and I almost assaulted each other I was fuming." 

"Daddy?" I ask looking down at my hands. "Why'd you leave me?"

"Because I was a dumbass," He tells me placing a hand on my knee and squeezing it. "I was chasing after family yet my family is right 'ere with you and this group."

Hershel comes back in with supplies and before I know it, he's stitched me up. 

"There, bet you didn't even feel it." Hershel says with a light chuckle. 

"Oh no, I definitely felt it." I grit out before we exit the cell where the group is debating on whether or not we leave. It's always the same. 

"We're not leaving." Rick says cocking his gun. 

"We cannot stay here" Hershel responds.

"What if theres another sniper, a wood pallet won't stop another one of those rounds." Maggie says.

"We can't even go outside." Beth states.

"Not in the daylight," Carol somewhat agrees with the younger girl.

"Look, Rick says we're not running, we're not running." Glenn says angrily. 

"No, better to live like rats." Merle says tauntingly from where he stands locked outside of the actual cell block. 

"You got a better idea?" Rick asks my uncle.

"Yeah we should've slid out of here last night and lived to see another day." He says. "But we lost that damn window didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now." 

"We ain't scared of that prick." Dad says walking away from me and towards his brother. We're on the top portion of the cell block so he's looking right down on top of Merle. For once, it seems like he has the power in the relationship. 

"That truck through the fence thing, that was only him ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind but he's got the guns and numbers, and if he took the high ground around this place? Shit, he could just starve us out if he wanted to." 

"Let's just put him in the other cell block." Maggie says uncomfortably, fidgeting with something in her hands.

"No. He's got a point." Dad says.

"This is all you! You started this!" Maggie yells at Merle.

"What difference whose fault it is? What do we do?" Beth says. She's got a point. 

"I said we should leave." Hershel says sternly. "Now Axels dead. We can't just sit here." 

Rick turns to walk away. I make eye contact with Carl from where he stands on the first floor. Things are tense right now. I haven't spoken to him much since my dad got back despite it only being a day- Carl and I are usually always together.

"Get back here!" Hershel yells his face growing redder by the minute. Rick stops. "You're slipping Rick. We've all seen it , we understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy? Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So get your head clear, and do something."

The room is tense now and one by one, we find something to busy ourself with. I find myself in front of Carl who leans against the wall looking at his gun as if it's the most interesting thing in the world. 

"Hey." I say grabbing his hand. 

"Is your arm okay?" He asks. 

"Got stitches, hurts like a bitch, but I'm still here to annoy you." 

"I'm glad." He says with a smile. 

"Hey, you wanna play cards?" 

"I'm actually gonna go find my dad."

"Oh, uh okay, see you I guess" I watch as the boy walks away and look at might feet with a sigh. 

"So you and the sheriffs kid huh Cherokee?" My uncle calls out. I try to ignore it and walk away but he keeps on talking. "Man, its like I get left behind and y'all start goin soft. Whatever happened to Dixon's being alone and sticking together? Then y'all go and leave me on a damn roof!" 

"Maybe I got tired of being alone." I mumble.

"What? Speak up girly." 

"Merle dammit man just leave 'er alone." My dad says placing a hand on my shoulder. 

"Why? She's a big girl." Merle says as if he's doing nothing wrong. "You ever tell 'er about 'er Ma? That she the only reason she left was because she didn't want a family with you and decided a baby wasn't worth giving up the drugs? I'm telling you little brother, we gotta stick together us Dixons, it's us against the world." 

I feel tears begin to well up in my eyes and my lips begin to pout. I don't want to cry, but the only thing Merle knows how to do is get under peoples skin. Specifically mine, he always has. 

"Merle stop!" Dad yells. I've never really seen him yell at Merle before. "What the hell's wrong with you man?"

My dad continues scolding Merle and eventually I sneak away into my cell. I fiddle with my necklace he got me back on the farm. There's dried blood on it and dad finds me occupied with scrapping it off. 

"Cheri-" 

"I'm fine." 

"No you're not." He says squatting down next to my bunk. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you the complete truth about your mom and I'm sorry you had to find out like that." 

"I'm tired of this Daddy. No more lies" 

"You're mother was a drug addict, met her while Merle was picking up his stash. Got pregnant after a few dates, had you and never looked back again. Thats the easiest way to put it."

I stay quiet and eventually he leaves. But not for long. The hushed voices from downstairs slowly get louder and my fathers figure appears in the cell once more. I scoot over, allowing him enough room to sit next to me.  Carol eventually comes in too she stops and leans against the cell wall. 

"Haven't had a chance to say I'm glad you came back." She says.

"To what? All this?" He asks suggesting the impending war that is happening.

"This is our home." 

"This is a tomb."

"That's what T-dog called it, thought he was right until you found me." We're silent for a moment with dad fidgeting with his bolts and my head leaned on his shoulder. "He's your brother but he's no good for you, or your girl. Don't let him bring you down. After all, look how far you've come."

Dad looks around and we all share a short laugh. 

"She's right you know." I say wrapping my arms around my dad in a lopsided hug. "I like this version of my dad." 

---

Word Count: 1297

So:  big truth bombs here what are your thoughts? 

Why is Merle always an asshole to Cheri? 

Hope you enjoyed!! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.4K 1.2K 12
"reagan, you're a natural born leader" BOOK 5 OF SHE'S A DIXON SERIES season 5 of the walking dead {completed} {carl grimes fanfiction} {daryl dixon...
72.4K 1K 27
Allison dixon lives in the zombie apocalypse with her dad Daryl dixon since she was nine as she grows up she realizes how cruel the world around her...
49.3K 1K 10
"it's me and you until the end reagan dixon" BOOK 6 OF SHE'S A DIXON SERIES season 6 of the walking dead {completed} {carl grimes fanfiction} {daryl...
97.2K 2K 15
"i'm not leaving you. we need to stay together." BOOK 3 OF SHE'S A DIXON SERIES season 3 of the walking dead {completed} {carl grimes fanfiction} {da...