Merry Sister Mary and the One...

By Jules_Haigler

🏆Wattys 2019 Winner for Mystery & Thriller🏆 Sister Mary has lost her way, or so people think. Kicked out of... More

Author's Note
Dedication
Prologue
1: Sister Mary Takes a Naughty Peek
2: Sister Mary Curses at God
3: Sister Mary Steals from a Squirrel
4: Sister Mary Attempts to Climb a Fence
5: Sister Mary Breaks a Priceless Vase
6: Sister Mary Overhears a Plot of Murder
7: Sister Mary Jokes About Cock
8: Sister Mary Gets Suspicious
9: Sister Mary Becomes a Vampire
10: Sister Mary Snoops Around
11: Sister Mary Screams, "Murder!"
12: Sister Mary Fusses at an Officer
13: Sister Mary Punches a Cop
14: Sister Mary Steals a Car
15: Sister Mary Gets Attacked by a Tree
16: Sister Mary Breaks into a Library
17: Sister Mary Gets Free Ice Cream
18: Sister Mary Goes Snake Hunting
19: Sister Mary Becomes a Cowgirl
20: Sister Mary Ruins a Funeral Service
21: Sister Mary Discovers a Body
22: Sister Mary Ruins Dessert
23: Sister Mary Gets Hit by a Car
24: Sister Mary Discovers a Dreadful Deception
25: Sister Mary Goes to Confession
26: Sister Mary Fails to Save a Life
27: Sister Mary, God's Investigator
28: Sister Mary Connects the Dots
29: Sister Mary Explains How It All Happened (Editing)
30: Sister Mary Takes Flight
31: Sister Mary and the Gun
CONTINUE THE MYSTERY AND LAUGHTER

32: Sister Mary Says Her Goodbyes

5K 643 103
By Jules_Haigler

A shot in the dark is a phrase that means a chance of something happening or a hopeful attempt of things going the way you plan. Well, I took a shot in the dark, the literal and figurative kind, hopeful I would reach my mark and save both myself and the girl who had fallen prisoner to this monster. I had never fired a gun until that moment. The recoil threw me back, the bang rippled through the air, the bullet hissed forward.

The gunshot alerted the police nearby to come running in our direction. I dropped the gun and tumbled towards the frightened girl. I ripped apart the knots and pulled the child into my arms.

"There there, child, all will be ok."

"Agh!" growled Michael in the corner wincing in pain and cupping his hand. "You fucking shot me! You shot me!" From his hand gushed a pool of blood. "Why would you shoot me in the hand?"

"If the hand causes you to sin, then cut it off. Be thankful I only shot that, you swine."

"You bitch!" Michael lunged at me, but I had enough of his threats. I did one powerful kick in the air. My legs strong after all the years kneeling and rising from prayer were a deadly force. Whoosh! My little nun shoe landed square into Michael's chest bringing him down in a heap of tumultuous anguish. For my final attack I hurled the base of my umbrella upon his injured hand. Oh man did he scream!

The police including Sergeant Leblanc and Investigator Dorsey entered the run down shack.

"Sister Mary!" They both shouted in alarm. "What? How?" Without another word they handcuffed the injured Michael and hauled him away. I rubbed the scared girl's back, lifted her to her feet and lead her out of the shack. Her hug was so tight it shifted my belly fat into my arms and legs.

"It's going to be alright, child," I whispered in her ear. "No one is going to hurt you anymore. Sister Mary has you."

Soon we were led away from the scene and into a stream of red and blue flashing lights. The little girl refused to leave my side no matter how hard the medics pleaded. We were wrapped in fresh blankets and given a soda. I brushed the girl's hair with my fingers calming the poor dear until at last her parents arrived. Their wails of joy pieced the night.

I cried at the sight even though I didn't want to get any more wet than I already was. A feeling of purpose loomed over me filling me with a happiness I had rarely felt before. The parents greeted me with cries of thanks. They offered to reward me with anything I wanted, money, food, you name it. I told them I only desired a quiet night, a good sleep, and a set of dry clothes.

I sat for a time on the ambulance bumper looking through the police car window. There was Michael, his face empty of all emotion, a man drained of all his power. I prayed that the information I had procured would be enough to keep him locked up forever, and if not, I had left him with constant reminder that would never fully heal, a mark on his hands to tell him every day that a nun had bested him. I believed people could change no matter how far they had fallen. I prayed for Michael. I prayed he would one day seek forgiveness. I turned away and sighed. It was finally over; my job was done.

Sergeant Leblanc took me back to Stanton Manor to get cleaned up. Janet had washed my gown after I had scuffed it up from the rodeo. It was a pleasant feeling to be dry again. She cooked me a big meal from which I ate very little. I crawled into bed, placed DT by my side, and soon I was fast asleep.

The next morning I awoke to a greeting by the Stanton family, at least the ones that had not been arrested. Giles and Susan were taken away by police. Their crimes were for aiding and abetting a criminal and hiding evidence. Father Blanchard was found free of most charges after a lengthy call from the archdiocese. He could not be accused for knowledge of Michael's crimes since he was told the information through a confidential religious ritual. Although the knowledge of Father Blanchard rapping a woman and fathering a child was enough to start an entirely different investigation, one I knew I had no part in playing.

The morning was quiet but full of smiles. Everyone seemed happier and more willing to help. Perhaps since the dreadful fog of Michael's reign had lifted, everyone finally had a chance to breathe anew. Gloria helped Janet cook and set the table. Brandon worked with Baines to feed the dogs. Pearl danced out in the garden and came back with an armful of beautiful flowers for the centerpiece. It was good. Nothing more was needed. The Stanton family finally had a home, a warm and bright home.

We joked over breakfast, flung food, and before we knew it, Sergeant Leblanc was knocking on the front door to take me to New Orleans.

"You ready to go," he said stepping into the hallway. I looked at umbrella at my side and the shoes on my feet.

"Yep, that is everything." I swung DT over my shoulder. "I guess it's my time to go," I said turning to the Stanton family. One after the other hugged me goodbye.

"Do you really have to leave?" asked Pearl. "I don't want you to go."

"I have to," I said poking the girl with my umbrella. "Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to, say goodbye to friends we don't want to leave. But good things always come back around. You can't get rid of me that easily."

"Trust me," chuckled Leblanc, "we tried."

Everyone laughed. I handed Pearl a slip of paper.

"Here," I said with a grin. "It's the address of where I will be living in New Orleans. If you are ever in town, stop by." I leaned in and whispered in her ear. "Maybe then I'll show you how to really steal a car and break into a bank. You, me, Bonnie and Clyde."

Pearl smiled wiping a tear off her cheek.

"You're a terrible nun," she said.

"Oh," I said surprised.

"But you're the best friend I have ever had." Pearl hugged me tight. " Thank you, Sister Mary."

I wished I could tell her that everything would be alright, tell her that no one would ever try to hurt her again, that I would always be around to save the day, but I could make no such promise. I could simply pray that good things would come and that doing good things would bring her joy. Life was not easy and anyone who told you otherwise should not be trusted. I saw in Pearl a young girl thrown into a family of many secrets and many issues. She was being suffocated under all the drama. Now with the evil gone and the justice served, Pearl looked more alive than the girl I first met, the girl who slammed her bedroom door in my face. That was my most cherished memory I would have upon leaving this town. Her smile, her joy.

I hesitantly descended the steps. The eyes of all the family staring silently as Sergeant Leblanc opened the door to the police car and led me inside. It was my first time in the back of a police car, and I was unbearably excited. I took one last look out of the window at the manor as we drove away. I heard Brandon cry out.

"That nun is absolutely bonkers."

"Not at all," said Pearl waving and rushing onto the lawn, "that nun is bloody brilliant."

...

"Wait," I cried out as we turned on to the highway. Leblanc slammed on his breaks.

"What the hell is it?" he cried glancing through the rearview mirror at me.

"I have one more stop before we leave town. Something I have left to do."

"Where do you want to go?"

I chuckled.

"I'll tell you where to turn. Drive on, good sir."

Soon the police car came to stop on the side of the road. I told Sergeant Leblanc I would not be long, to just keep the car running. He looked adequately confused as he leaned over and glanced through the window.

"An ice cream shop?"

"I'll be right back." I slammed the door shut and skipped merrily up the steps. As soon as I entered, I hear a crash of something falling and a voice cry out.

"Oh hell not you again!"

"Mr. Jim Berry," I said sauntering up to the counter.

"What you do want, Sister Mary?"

"I would like two cones, please. Vanilla."

"You have money this time? Cause I can't give you it for free. My boss will kill me."

"No money." I leaned in over the counter. "You see that police car outside, Mr. Jim?" I pointed and waved. Leblanc smiled and waved back through the window. "I told the cops that you had been harassing Ms. Pearl Stanton. Now, I can easily tell them it was all a misunderstanding and that you won't do it again, or I can call him over here, and we can get your parents on the phone and your boss involved. So, Mr. Berry, you have a choice. We can sweep this under the rug with a little bit of free ice cream or we can have some fun at the police station."

"You're bluffing," said Jim biting his lip. "There is no way the police take this seriously."

"Alright then," I said shrugging my shoulders. "I warned you." I gestured to Leblanc to come inside. He looked dumbfounded and slowly exited the vehicle. Jim instantly shoved two ice cream cones my way.

"Here," he said. "On the house."

"Thank you, Jim dear." I said taking a large lick. "I'll be seeing you. Watching you. So behave now. Goodbye." Jim snarled. With that I exited the shop two of the largest ice cream cones money could buy.

"What's wrong, Sister Mary? Everything okay?" Leblanc looked into the shop window. I motioned to the car.

"Nothing wrong at all. Let's go." I shoved a cone in his face. "Ice cream?"

"How did you pay for that?"

"Charm," I smiled. "Guess I just have that merry personality that cannot be denied."

"Ah huh," said Leblanc not convinced. "Whatever. Let's get going."

Sitting in the police car, I stared out the window at Jim Berry. He stood with a broom in his hands and a scowl on his face. As the engine started and the car began to move, I blew him a kiss goodbye. The boy's face curled into disgust and gagged.

"Oh, sweet sweet, Jim Berry," I said taking a mouthful of the delicious dessert. "Thank you for the ice cream."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

416K 11K 38
Temo McCarthy works in the call center for Passion Financial. He spends his days "dialing deadbeats", convincing broke, desperate customers to pay th...
2.8K 527 23
There's always that one thing you just can't be bothered to care about. For drug dealer Nathan Devereaux, it's the grimoire he found, complete with w...
2.6K 664 29
Desperate for cash, a broke, shopaholic musician tries to unravel the clues hidden in classical music to a mob boss' treasure, except she isn't the o...
27.3K 1K 46
#4~~#lifepartner hotlist. |COMPLETED| |Idea Credits : @Anamika_Anu ♥️| They got married. But he didn't like her. She tried to make the marriage work...