16: Sister Mary Breaks into a Library

After finding ourselves back on the highway, we reached the main town safe and sound. To think I ran all this way earlier and in the heat. I must have been crazy.

In town we were met with crowds of people setting up tents, sweeping porches and sidewalks, and trimming hedges. A large sign was being lifted over the road that read, WELCOME TO ST. FRANCISVILLE. HOME OF THE ANGOLA PRISON RODEO.

"A rodeo!" I said excitedly as we passed underneath the sign.

"Yes," said Pearl. "Typically every sunday in October the Angola Prison puts on a rodeo. The town gets really busy and a lot of artists come out to set up tents. It's kinda a big deal."

"Oh my god! Tomorrow is the first sunday in October. We have to go."

Pearl squinted her nose.

"No! It's got a bunch of smelly prisoners and farm animals."

"Oh my! Even better!"

Pearl cupped her head in her hands. "You are insane."

We came to stop at a red light where a bunch of fancy dressed women of high society shouted orders at their working husbands.

"A little bit higher, darling," said one to a man on a ladder. "And make sure the rope is taught."

All of them noticed the bright convertible with me in the driver's seat. Their mouths dropped in shock and even the men on ladders glanced over their shoulders in amusement. 

"Sister Mary," said Pearl nudging me and sinking in her seat. "Everyone is staring at us." She peeked over the edge of the car. "And whispering about us."

"They are just jealous wankers," I muttered waving at the crowd. "God bless everyone! What a lovely day!"

The light turned green.

"Go," demanded Pearl covering her face with her jacket. "Sister Mary, the light is green."

I didn't need to be told twice. I slammed my foot on the accelerator and zoomed off leaving the dazed townspeople eating my dust. Pearl, still cowering under her jacket, gave me a seriously judgmental look.

"You are embarrassing!"

"Get used to it, darling. You are in Sister Mary's car now."

Pearl sighed and sat up.

"Where are we going anyway?"

"Well," I said slowing and turning down a narrow street. "We are going to the library. After that I am going to treat you to a lovely bunch of ice cream. What say you?"

"Eh," said Pearl. "Spending the day with crazy you or going to a boring library. Can't decide which sounds more fun."

We soon arrived at the library. The parking lot was empty. Pearl and I exited and walked up to the front door. It was locked.

"Closed?" I said astonishingly.

"It's after five, see." Pearl pointed to her watch then to the hours posted by the door. "They won't be open until tomorrow at ten."

"No, no, no, no, no. I can't wait till tomorrow," I said peeking through the glass window.

"What? You got an overdue book?" joked Pearl glancing through the window with me. The inside was dark and plainly decorated. I leaned back. A return slot poked out of the brick wall by the door.

"There has to be a way inside."

"Sister Mary, the library is closed. We can't go in."

"Nonsense," I said running my hands along the side of the building. "This is important."