They Say Love Hides Behind Ev...

By TheFlamingPopsicle

Note: This was written when I was 13. It is very much a product of my little tween mind at the time. Please a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 [End]
Additional Forrest/Shay Scenes

Chapter 25

29.7K 420 52
By TheFlamingPopsicle

3 Quotes of the Day:

1:  "Theflamingpopsicle, I would just like you to know that I was at a sleepover and @ 2 am after we had watched 2 random movies, were told to go to bed, drew pics of ePoetryach other as sluts, played truth or dare, played the impossible game, and talked, I gave my iPod to my friend Theresa, whose house I was at, and demanded her to read this. She says that "Shay is even crazier than you, Kelly" and "oh my god is that story addicting!". She fell asleep reading it and was impressed that I got my quote in "such an amazing book" that "had better get published or I'll cry". But now she is depressed because she went to the movies in her new converse that she was planning on wearing for the first day of school and her parents won't let her cause they're used. Please start a petition in the name of Aslan for narnia, or for her cool converse. If you don't, you will get dogpiled by smiling but suicidal elves and Miley cyrus. For the sake of your (possibly existant, by the creation of Shay) sanity and well being, I bid you good day and remind you to update.

True story!"- LittleKittyCat

[By the way, I'm not really sure HOW to start a petition, but if you help me out with it, then I'll try. :/ I guess. It'll be for the cool converse.]

2: "You know what, you upload, make me and my sis high five 'cuz you uploaded, Ruby_TheCrazy is my sister by the way, come back, read the chapter, groan, because of where it left off, and almost punch the screen, which would get wrecked because its an LCD, and get A lecture from my dad. Thank you.

Don't you just hate dragon flies, there so big and weird." - runlikehell

[I know, right? Dragon flies are just plain wrong.]

3: "awh! Darn Finn! And he's not even evil! so i can't make my invisible best-friend Mike Stand and his friend Uni-Popcorn take him away to the Jelly Mansion! 

Meh'd 

OH! I justah realizedah! I'm in the quotes! (okay, fine. i didn't figure it out. My sister told me.) 

I'm still smarter. 

I'm not going to include a valuable life lesson in this one.Just one thing though, sometimes Moms can actually Ground you for wearing your purple bat wings in public. (directed to the author). 

and you didn't tell me if you guys knew which cookies i was talking about! You know, warm sweet and sugary? hey came out around Christmas time? 

**pout** no one knows. Humph."

-Ruby The Crazy Purple Banana Monkey

[Sorry about the grounding! That sucks for you! And I don't think I know which cookies you're talking about... sooorry. :)]

 *** 

They Say Love Hides Behind Every Corner. I Must Be Walking in Circles

 Chapter 25

This stupid body-switching thing was going to be the end of me. Why couldn’t I still be weirdo Shay, the one that seemed to repel all creatures of the male specimen, excluding Forrest, for some reason? Oh, and

Westley, but I wasn’t sure he really counted. He was barely male, after all, if his weekly manicures and pedicures told me anything.

Now that I was freaking Serena Magnus, I had Finn to worry about, plus her other admirers. I know that most girls would revel in the attention, but come on. Firstly, I was already in love with someone else, someone who liked me even when I wasn’t model-material. And secondly, these people only liked me for my looks. I couldn’t really feel good about that, anyways, since they weren’t really my looks, if you wanted to get technical about it.

But I was Serena, and if I couldn’t find a way to fix things, I always would be. I had these stupid teenage problems.

Finn caught up with me, a little breathless from the sprint. I internally cursed at Maddie and Jasmine. How could they have left me alone with him? They knew very well that I didn’t have a way to let him down easy yet. I couldn’t just be like, “Oh, yeah, I can’t go out with you anymore because I’m actually not Serena Magnus, but Shay Barron, and I feel bad about leading you on when you’re not technically in love with me. Oh, and the only reason I said yes in the first place was out of spite,” now could I? Grrr. This was so infuriating.

“Hey,” he greeted, beaming widely. Man. Why couldn’t he be a jerk or ugly or something?

“Hey,” I replied half-heartedly, trying to seem upbeat, not indifferent.

This was going to be way harder than I thought. I racked my brain for some way to let him down easy, but I came up with nothing. My brain was just not functioning right. It was still high off of the endorphins from my moment with Forrest. Forrest. I sighed internally. Forrest. This just made things so much harder. The trial was over, Forrest was free. Why couldn’t we just be happy?

But Finn counted, too, right? I couldn’t just ditch him. He deserved his happily ever after, too. He deserved it more than me.

“You okay?” he asked with a worried expression on his face.

Again! Why couldn’t he be a jerk? His overall niceness was making this way harder than it might be.

“Yeah, I’m okay,” I managed, shaking my head, blond strands waving about softly. I still wasn’t used to that. “I’m just a little distracted.”

“You seem a little out of it,” he agreed, taking me by the arm. “Do you need me to walk you home?”

“No, its okay, I have to meet up with Jasmine at her house in a little,” I told him, giving him a small smile.

“I’ll walk you there,” he insisted stubbornly, and we were off.

At first, it was quiet as I contemplated the best ways to break things off with him. I went over a million different break-up lines in my head. (“I think we have three choices: 1) stay together, 2) take a break, or 3) break up entirely, and I want 2 or 3.” “This just isn't for me. Nothing personal. I want to be able to tell people I'm single.” “I'm not putting the brakes on this; I'm just orienting it towards another direction.”“I can't see myself with you when I am eighty.” “How will I know I want to spend the next 50 years with you unless I date other people?” “So you hear about the single's club downtown? Well you'll be able to visit it now!” “It's not you, it's me. Oh wait, it's you.” I even thought of a poem to give him: “Roses are red, violets are blue. Trash is dumped, and so are you.”)

See? I’m just not a nice person, at least not when it comes to breakups. My mind just can’t think of any nice ones, which was why I needed Maddie or Jasmine’s help! But no, they just had to leave me here to fend for myself.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” he asked me again, turning his head to look at me.

At that moment, I will admit, I wished that Serena herself was here. I didn’t even care at the moment that she had gone off and killed my body. I felt bad about all of this. This was her life I was living. True, she destroyed mine, but still. Did I really have a right to meddle in all of this? I mean, what if, somehow, she was still alive? What if she hadn’t been in my body? What if she wants all of this back? I couldn’t ruin it for her, could I? Living her life, stepping in her shoes, a new admiration for her grew. Her life wasn’t so easy, either. I could relate to her now.

Plus, Finn was madly in love with me, er, Serena. Whatever. The point was that this would break his heart into a million tiny pieces, all because of me. This wasn’t my decision to make. Was it? I just wasn’t sure about anything anymore. All I knew was that I couldn’t bring myself to do this to him. Not yet. I wasn’t ready.

“Yeah,” I answered with a hint of resignation in my voice. I would deal with this later. “I’m okay.”

The rest of the walk there was filled with little tidbits of conversations. They were just normal, everyday conversations. To be honest, it was a bit refreshing. Most of my conversations lately had been so drama-filled. (“Forrest is in jail!” “Don’t give up, Shay!” “You love Forrest, Shay!” “You’re jealous, Shay!” “Remember Finn, Shay?” Ugh.)

But I was also relieved when we got to Jasmine’s house. I led the way, of course. Jasmine’s house was around my neighborhood, and I lived by the Courthouse, so it didn’t take long to get there.

Suddenly, I became nervous. Forrest lived on this street, too. Could he see Finn and me? Oh, crap, crap, crap, crap! Forrest! I wasn’t going to break up with Finn yet. How would I break it to Forrest? But to be honest, Forrest hadn’t formally asked me to be his girlfriend; so technically, I had cheated on Finn with Forrest, not the other way around.

But, dang, either way, I was cheating. I was a bad person. Wah.

“Well, this is my stop,” I announced, pivoting (I will always have basketball in my heart!) so I was facing Finn. “Thanks for everything. You’re the best.”

I leaned in to hug him, but when I pulled away, he kissed me instead. I was shocked, and I tried my best to kiss back. I had to remember that he thought I was Serena. I had to act like Serena, and Serena would kiss back.

“Bye,” he said, waving at me with a happy smile.

I forced a smile out of myself. By this point, I was so not in a smiley mood, but it wasn’t his fault. Okay, so it was partially his fault, but he couldn’t help it, so I couldn’t get mad at him. Really, there was no one but myself to get mad at. Except maybe Serena, for possibly ruining my chances at returning to my old life; that one had to count for something.

I walked up the sidewalk and looked underneath Jasmine’s ‘Welcome’ mat on the front porch. The key was still there. They seriously needed to find a better hiding spot. It didn’t take a genius to find this thing. I bet even Matt could find it, and he was an idiot. I didn’t bother knocking, of course. I just barged right in.

I knew where they would be, so I just went straight up the stairs and burst into Jasmine’s room. They both looked over, unalarmed. They had probably expected this, after all. I wasn’t much of a knocker.

“So… how’d it go?” Jasmine asked as I plopped down on her pink bed, using her pink pillow as an elbow rest.

Jasmine’s whole room was pink. Pink, pink, pink, it was like a cotton candy world: pink walls, a pink bed, pink curtains, a pink rug, and a pink bathroom, a pink toilet in the pink bathroom, light pink carpeting, and a bunch of miscellaneous pink items. It was actually kind of blinding.

I frowned slightly, and shook my head, letting out a loud sigh. “Eh.”

“What do you mean by ‘eh?” she pressed, determined to make me talk. Jasmine was just nosy like that, but if I were in her place at this moment, I would be doing the same thing, probably.

“I mean I couldn’t go through with it!” I wailed dejectedly, using the pink pillow as an actual pillow instead of an elbow rest. “I thought of a hundred different things to say, but they all sucked!”

"There had to have been at least one good one,” Jasmine insisted, unable to believe that all of them sucked.

“There wasn’t.” I lifted my head and shook it slowly. “They were all really awful and hurtful. They would tear his heart to pieces.”

“Dang it,” Maddie said with a small sigh. “This sucks. I mean, Finn’s too nice of a guy to use those ones on him!”

“I know,” I replied miserably, “that was why I couldn’t do it. I just couldn’t.”

“What are you going to tell Forrest?” Maddie asked in a small voice after a moment of silence.

Aw, crap. “I dunno. Nothing, really, unless he asks to go steady.”

“Would you break up with Finn, then?” Jasmine asked me nervously, awaiting my answer.

“Probably not,” I admitted. I was glad to have someone to tell these things to.

“Do you… do you like Finn, more than just in a friendly way?” Maddie eyed me warily. She was definitely Team Forrest, as was Jasmine, and obviously, as was I. We liked Finn and all, but Forrest was just that one guy. The special guy you wait for your entire life. The one.

“No, definitely not,” I said, shaking my head for the billionth time. “But I don’t wanna hurt him. He’s too nice.”

“But wouldn’t you be cheating on Forrest, then?” Jasmine looked even more confused than usual.

“Actually, wouldn’t I be cheating on Finn?”

“That’s right,” Jasmine realized, “well, either way, you’re cheating.”

“Ugh,” I groaned, sinking my head into the pillow face-first. “Don’t remind me.”

My cell phone rang suddenly. I scrambled to get it out of my pocket and nearly fell off the bed doing so. Finally, I got it out of my pocket and sat there, frozen, staring at the caller ID.

Dang.

It was Forrest!

Not again.

What would I say this time, to get out of it?

He was way pushier than Finn was.

Dang it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.9K 2.3K 54
Rowan Hunter is one of the youngest and most powerful men in the city, born into a life of both terrible darkness and insurmountable wealth yet curse...
663K 29.7K 52
★ NOW PUBLISHED! ★ What do you get when you add the ultimate meet cute + a bruised head? = A whole can of heartbreak. It all starts in aisle three. L...
33.9K 2.3K 90
[Thornton Boys - Book 3] __________ Drake. Friends. Family. Basketball. Music; the four most important things in my life. That other thing? The thin...
1.1M 14.6K 37
Living in a world where the dance team is her kingdom, fashion her passion, and judo her secret pastime, Jade Wright's life is as close to perfect as...