The Outlaw (Now on Radish)

By JaneKiley713

Abigail lived in her sister's shadow all of her life. She had to live up to her only sister's expectations. S... More

NOW ON RADISH
NOTICE
The Outlaw
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Epilogue
Recent Events

Chapter 18

590 22 2
By JaneKiley713

His small hand curled around my finger and I wanted to cry. He was perfect in every sense of the word; his cupid's bow lip was curled into a pucker and his soft blue eyes were curiously probing between sleep spells. I rested against Albert as I hugged my son close to my chest.

"He's absolutely gorgeous, isn't he Albert?" I murmured, kissing his knuckles. "He has Victor's nose and crinkled little ears."

"He's beautiful, Abby." Albert reassured, tightening his arms around us. "Robert Derek Gray there is a very large family waiting to meet you." Albert kissed my head as Helen and Robert came into the room.

"How are my patients today?" Robert asked cheerfully. He sat on the side of the bed and reached out for my son. I reluctantly passed my sleeping baby to Robert, who gave him a check over. "How is mother doing today? Are you sore? Fatigued? It's been nearly twelve hours since you've given birth, have you slept at all?"

"Robert, you fret worse than my husband." I chided. "My back still spasms. I managed maybe three hours of sleep. Leaning against something solid helps to prolong the spasms. Is this a side effect of giving birth?"

"I cannot say for certain, but I would like to try something, perhaps later today? I have a colleague from school, he's from the East. Brilliant man. He knows a type of muscle relaxation technique called 'acupuncture'. I've seen his work, and I must say it is remarkable." Robert commented as he handed me back my son.

"He's healthy as a horse, Abby. Nothing to worry about," Robert said, patting my leg. "You have a visitor in the parlor room, shall I send him in?" I nodded my head as I turned my gaze back to my son. Victor's predictions were dead wrong, but he'd adore our son anyways.

"Winifred insisted that I bring your baby her blanket." David spoke from the doorway. "She also insists that she must see you and the baby once you arrive back in Avesbury." I smiled as I turned my attention to David, who stood nervously in the door frame.

"Do come in, David. Robert does hate to be kept waiting." I chided. David chuckled as he came to sit at my bedside. "Tell me of the trial, David. Please." He placed the blanket across my legs and began playing with Robert's toes.

"Closing remarks were made today. It's been nearly two days since your incident in the courtroom. Brandon refused to give his testimony after you spoke. He knows he has no case against Victor. They should deliver the verdict by this afternoon." David remarked softly.

"What are you doing here, then?" Albert asked, holding me tighter to him.

"Victor asked me to take care of you. Before he was escorted back, he had his lawyer slip me a note. He wants me here with you, no matter what the verdict." David looked at me, resting his hand over mine.

"We owe you a great deal, David. I hope you know that." I whispered, fighting the tears that wanted to come to my eyes.

"You owe me nothing other than your friendship, Abigail. And that is the truth. My children adore you and Victor, and they would love to have Robert as their new cousin." David soothed. "Let me take him for a while, Abby. You need rest." I reluctantly relinquished my son to David. Albert began to hum the lullaby mother sang to us in our youth. I finally succumbed to my need to sleep.

My dreams felt like reality. I dreamt of Victor and our son. I dreamt of our lives together, fulfilling his dreams. We were happy, living near my parents. Victor would work in the village as the new physician. David and the children would visit us frequently. It was perfect, nearly too perfect. I wanted to believe every second of this perfection, of the life I was supposed to have. I just couldn't believe in something without my husband being with me.

I jolted awake in my bed, slowly realizing that I was pressed against the soft mattress. I turned my head towards the rustling in the corner of the room, but I could hardly see over the bedpost.

"Where is my son?" I croaked, patting around the bed frantically. I felt empty without him near me, and I knew I would feel this way for the rest of my life.

"Young Bertie is with your mother and grandmother in the sitting room. They'll bring him in once my associate has finished today's session." Robert announced, coming around to my side of the bed. "Do you remember what I said about the man I met during medical school?"

"Acupuncture?" I grumbled, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Robert nodded as he motioned for someone.

"Yes. My friend, Dr. Zhang Li, has agreed to help us. Truthfully, he'd give anything to leave Ireland."

"Don't tell mother that."

Robert chuckled as he stroked my cheek. Doctor Li came and sat at my bedside, taking my hand in his.

"It is an honor to meet you, Mrs. Gray. Bert has spoken highly of you." Doctor Li said, smiling at me. I thought his speech would have been worse, broken even, but it was nearly perfect. "To start, Mrs. Gray, I need to roll you onto your stomach." I nodded and curled my arms into my chest. Robert and Doctor Li put their hands under my body and slowly rolled me over.

"I am going to put several needles along key core areas of your body. This will help release bad toxins from your body, as well as help relax your muscles." Doctor Li began his work, chatting away. Robert pulled a chair next to my bedside, watching me intently.

"Mr. Li, how old are you?" I mumbled against the mattress.

"Thirty-two. I graduated Edinburgh with your husband. He is the most brilliant man I ever met. His talents were waisted in the army." Doctor Li commented angrily. "But I understand why he left. It is the same reason my parents left our home in China. A need for a better life."

"Have you been to the trials?" I whispered, looking away from Robert.

"Only the first day. It hurt very much to see my friend caged like he was. But enough talk of that, we want the bad toxins to leave you." Doctor Li was a pleasure to have for the remainder of the hour. He told me of his home, parents, his education. He was born in the country side of China, his parents were rice farmers. They left when he was seven years old, stow-aways on an imperial steamship. They did not have an easy life when they arrived in London. His parents fought to get him a better life. He had been forever grateful of their love for him.

Once he had removed all of the needles, Robert and Doctor Li rolled me back over and helped me sit up. I felt much better than I had in the past. My muscles were looser, more mobile than before. I felt like I was closer to my age again.

"Robert, I want my son. Please," I requested, reaching for his hand. Robert took it and gave my hand a gentle squeeze before leaving the room. Li left with him, a rather large grin on his face. I chuckled and bean picking at my nails as footsteps neared my room. My arms ached for my son, so I could smell his perfect skin. I wanted to kiss his wrinkly fingers and hum him a lullaby. The floor of the doorway creaked under the weight of the person who carried my precious son. When I looked up to greet him, I couldn't believe my eyes.

"He has your eyes, Abigail." Victor murmured, tearing his eyes from our son to look into mine. In two strides he reached my bedside, sitting on the empty spot next to me. "Thank you, Abigail. I can't—I can't tell you—" I pushed myself close to him and crushed my lips to his. He. Was. Free.

"You're free," I cried, cupping his cheeks as I pulled away. He smiled tearfully before kissing me again.

"I told you that I would come home," Victor mumbled against my lips. I could hardly process what had happened. He's home—he's not leaving us ever again. Robert cried out, thwacking his tiny fist against Victor's chest. We pulled apart to focus on our son.

"I'm sorry, Robert," I murmured, stroking his downy head. Victor took Robert's hand and stroked his palm. Robert gazed at his father with his bright blue eyes, struggling to keep his eyes open. "He's infatuated with you, darling."

"He has my heart," Victormurmured, kissing his soft forehead. 

*

*

*

*

*

Hello Lovelies!

Last chapter! I know, so sad, but well deserved! Epilogue is coming soon, within the next few weeks.

Just letting you all know that school has officially started and I will not be starting the Runaway until December at the earliest.

Love,

DoctorWho   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.5K 873 34
Abigail is a sweet loving girl with a big heart. She has a smile that can brighten anyone's day even though she's been through a lot, starting with t...
299 54 29
A string of flaws A series of repercussions A dreadful agony And beyond there... A blossom of warmth Will it be worthy? ...
7.1M 238K 106
They are married, but not a couple. . . They are Husband and Wife, but complete strangers. . . What will happen when their worlds collide together? ...
2.7M 91.8K 23
When the arrogant stranger Bess is forced to marry unexpectedly becomes a duke, she'll find herself at odds with her growing feelings as he hunts for...